• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (DS) coming to the US as Sands of Destruction

Even if the game sucks, I can't wait to hear the soundtrack. Luckily, I think the whole package looks pretty good. I agree with duckroll on that font though. What's with developers picking ugly fonts for jrpgs on the ds recently?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad that these DS rpgs are FINALLY getting some localizations... this game looked great, too.

Dash

This one has been on my radar for a while now. I just wish it was fully in 2-d though :/.

Volcynika

PR finally released (Also, how funny is it that the PR says December 4th, but we didn't see it till today?):

SEGA ANNOUNCES UPCOMING U.S. RELEASE OF SANDS OF DESTRUCTION ON NINTENDO DS

Splendid visuals, fascinating characters and a high-powered battle system to be featured in the next epic Japanese RPG experience

SAN FRANCISCO (December 4, 2008) – SEGA® of America, Inc. announced today that the exclusive Nintendo DS™ title, Sands of Destruction™, will be releasing in North America. Critically acclaimed in Japan and gaining recognition through the television anime World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokuni™, gamers will experience an action-packed story featuring a unique range of characters, a gorgeous artistic atmosphere and an intense RPG battle system.

“We are very excited to bring this original RPG to the U.S.,” states Yoichi Shimosato, producer of Sands of Destruction. “Our very talented team is eager to showcase the unique world and gameplay experience of Sands of Destruction and they firmly believe we have created an RPG world that can be enjoyed by everyone.”

In Sands of Destruction, a race of powerful beastmen known as the Ferals rule over the human population with tyranny and prejudice. A group of warriors, the World Annihilation Front, believe their only option for ending the corruption of the Ferals is to end the world as they know it. This intense game puts gamers in control of an intriguing cast of characters including the crusading Morte Ashera as well as Kyrie Illunis, who unknowingly holds the key to global destruction. Gamers will explore a fantastic world, traveling across oceans of sand, battling colossal enemy monsters and unraveling the mystery of the creation of the world.

”SEGA is excited to be bringing this innovative, engaging IP to Nintendo DS,” states Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing for SEGA of America, Inc. “With the incredible talent and vision of the development team, Sands of Destruction promises to deliver the next epic RPG experience to gamers everywhere.”

Featuring an all-star team of Japanese RPG developers, Sands of Destruction utilizes the upper and lower DS screens for its dynamic battle system, including major boss battles where elite monsters take up both DS screens. Mixing traditional turn-based tactics with fighting game mechanics to create an intense gameplay experience, Sands of Destruction also features an innovative “Quip system” where characters utter inspiring battle commands that enhance abilities and boost attributes to give them various advantages during battle. As the story unfolds new battle commands will be discovered and gamers will be able to customize the different commands to each character.

Sands of Destruction will be released in fall 2009, exclusively for Nintendo DS™

Fall 2009 too. Long wait!

B.K.

Wow. Fall 2009? They must be doing a lot of reworking to the game.

Did they ever release a soundtrack for the game?

BluWacky

B.K. said:
Wow. Fall 2009? They must be doing a lot of reworking to the game.

Or they're just slow...

Did they ever release a soundtrack for the game?

Nope, nothing yet. If Mitsuda's reworking the soundtrack (as rumoured) it might not be out for a while yet.

I do wonder WHY exactly they've changed the name, especially when they refer to the anime by the original name in that press release piece (unless that part of the article was written by IGN). I only watched a bit of the anime before it pissed me off, but the "sands" in the show aren't very destructive - it's just a world covered by desert.

Volcynika

BluWacky said:
Or they're just slow...

Nope, nothing yet. If Mitsuda's reworking the soundtrack (as rumoured) it might not be out for a while yet.

I do wonder WHY exactly they've changed the name, especially when they refer to the anime by the original name in that press release piece (unless that part of the article was written by IGN). I only watched a bit of the anime before it pissed me off, but the "sands" in the show aren't very destructive - it's just a world covered by desert.

Nah, it's in the actual PR itself:

http://www.sega.com/news/?n=2772

D:

Fall 2009 is a loooong time, but I guess it makes sense if they're really reworking the game - afterall with that added to the pile it's not just a straightforward localisation process..

jeremy1456

Gamefly is now listing a boxart for the game:

135560e.jpg

Llyranor

j-GAF seemed to think this had a good battle system. Hopefully they'll have fixed the balancing/exploits, but we'll see. Looking forward to this.

Aeana

jeremy1456 said:
I'm also looking forward to this one. I just hope it's not as much like Xenogears as I've heard it is.
It's... not that much like Xenogears at all. At a very basic level, the battle system is, but it goes in a different direction.

jeremy1456

Aeana said:
It's... not that much like Xenogears at all. At a very basic level, the battle system is, but it goes in a different direction.

Good to know, medal princess.

EDIT: Which RPG(s) would you compare this game to then?

duckroll

Farore said:
Well, he can try here and the related videos...

That's just a 5 track bonus CD that came with preorders of the game. Mitsuda didn't even compose all of those. The game's actual soundtrack is not available anywhere. The game has no sound test, so there are no names for any of the track, and the audio in the game uses Procyon Studio's own propriotry sound engine so they can't be ripped for replay. The game also has no soundtrack release in Japan or anywhere else. Lolz.

If they've rebalanced the game, or included some sort of hard mode, then this will easily be one of the best RPGs on the DS, up there with Devil Survivor. As it was in the Japanese version it was too easy a game to get to being 'great'. That said, I'll probably get it the second time around too. Can't wait.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
chicken_ramen said:
If they've rebalanced the game, or included some sort of hard mode, then this will easily be one of the best RPGs on the DS, up there with Devil Survivor. As it was in the Japanese version it was too easy a game to get to being 'great'. That said, I'll probably get it the second time around too. Can't wait.
Sounds like fun!! I don't think it is possible for a game to be too easy to enjoy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Drinky Crow said:
i don't think i can play rpgs on the ds any more

they're just too damn lo-fi and ugly

weak. you could have at least picked one of the shitty n64 3d graphics rpg threads to post this in.

Sagitario

duckroll said:
That's just a 5 track bonus CD that came with preorders of the game. Mitsuda didn't even compose all of those. The game's actual soundtrack is not available anywhere. The game has no sound test, so there are no names for any of the track, and the audio in the game uses Procyon Studio's own propriotry sound engine so they can't be ripped for replay. The game also has no soundtrack release in Japan or anywhere else. Lolz.

I had no idea. Lolz.

World destruction is a way more badass name than Sands of destruction. I was really looking forward to this game but the impressions seem to be that if you are expecting the next Xenogears you will be disappointed. I am disheartened by this.

PS2 KID

Toppi reads PR release and is not happy.
Sands of Destruction? - kuma
That's just lame. - kuma
World Destruction sounds much cooler! - kuma.
Someone at Sega needs to change it back right away! - kuma
Why am I not on the cover?! - kuma What a grave injustice. - kuma
Don't they know I am the star of the show? - kuma

lucablight said:
World destruction is a way more badass name than Sands of destruction. I was really looking forward to this game but the impressions seem to be that if you are expecting the next Xenogears you will be disappointed. I am disheartened by this.

World destruction is have more meaning as a title than sands of destruction. Given that it's the destruction code that's in question for the world's destruction and not the sand.

Macstorm

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Maybe they're slipping in a sound test for the US release eh? eh? =( Damn Sega is dragging their feet on RPG localizations.
No kidding. The chance of us getting 7th Dragon or Shining Force Feather anytime soon are low, eh?

Top Bottom