• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo, Little Inferno, Human Resource Machine coming to Switch March 3rd

Really love World of Goo and Little Inferno, but didn't know about Human Resource Machine. Is it like other Tomorrow Corporation games, or it's complicated?

Mr. Virus

Would it be too easy for someone that knows programming pretty well? Sounds up my alley, but I've got some extensive programming experience.

Maybe? It's fairly low level concepts, but has extra unlocks depending on how well you optimise things. As others have mentioned, the Zachtronics games like TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O may be worth investigating if you've got a coding background.

jariw

Would it be too easy for someone that knows programming pretty well? Sounds up my alley, but I've got some extensive programming experience.

The optimization challenges are for you. These challenges get pretty tough later on IMO. The early challenges are moslyt about building efficient, no-nonsense code. The later optimization challenges are more about unorthodox program flows, taking advantage of binary states, and such things.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Really love World of Goo and Little Inferno, but didn't know about Human Resource Machine. Is it like other Tomorrow Corporation games, or it's complicated?
It starts accessibly, but gets specialized pretty quick. It's brilliant if you're into mathematics or computers. It's the most fun I had last fall (I was LTTP), but I'm a coder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't but its something that has been on my radar for a long time. The big lure to me was competing against others/friends in rankings, but I found out about it well after the scene died off. It seems like a lot of fun, but I do that shit all day (not instruction level programming, but programming nonetheless), so I'm not sure it's what I want to relax with when I get home. I was unaware it made it to the iOS. I'll have to see if it works on my wife's 1st gen Mini, it could be a good travel game to kill some time on flights.

That game aside, if HMR has Tomorrow Corporation and 2D Boy's charm I'm definitely down. I always like supporting them too after the debacle their Wii/PC release of World of Goo was with their piracy problem.

HMR is also on ipad ;) you could see if its your taste and then double dip on switch if that is more suitable for you.

Craft

It was a bit easy and you'll likely be able to instantly suss out a solution for most of the problems, the fun for me came from completing the optimisation challenges.

oti

Banned
Now I'm wondering whether I should get HRM on Android and always have it with me or on Switch. Solving the puzzles together on the TV sounds fun, but how are the controls? Without a pointer and all.

It starts accessibly, but gets specialized pretty quick. It's brilliant if you're into mathematics or computers. It's the most fun I had last fall (I was LTTP), but I'm a coder.
Thanks. I don't know anything about coding and programming, but should watch some gameplay and maybe I like it.

Turrican3

I only need to know if there's going to be IR pointing support in docked mode.

(yeah yeah, I understand there's no sensor bar supplied with the Switch, but still...)

I only need to know if there's going to be IR pointing support in docked mode.

(yeah yeah, I understand there's no sensor bar supplied with the Switch, but still...)

There's no sensor bar so ir pointing won't be possible but I'd be surprised if they don't do gyro pointing

klier

Don't know about that third one, but World of Goo and Little Inferno are very, very old games.

Do not want.

I know right? Like, imagine if Nintendo tried to release and sell their older titles again, in this day and age?

Hehe, I like you. I'm all for trying HRM and possibly double-dipping on World of Goo and Little Inferno. Such beautiful games and I don't feel like they are dark and dystopian for "lol we're dark and edgy" novelty aesthetic - the narratives are actually really good!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wait for the price before being an edge lord, these games should be 99cents at best

They really shouldn't. All of them are fantastic little gems, I'd easily pay 10 to 15 bucks for Goo on the Go and the other ones as well. They shouldn't go over 20 though, that would be a bit much to ask, even for boxed versions.

99 cents is effectively nothing for the devs, and that's just silly to assume.

klier

I know right? Like, imagine if Nintendo tried to release and sell their older titles again, in this day and age?

Their older titles are pretty much all all-time classics.

Little Inferno is a random indie game I think I bought with the WiiU launch. Nice game, but really?
And World of Goo I bought even earlier on iOS.

Look, I am the biggest Switch fan, but the launch line up sucks. Apart from the game of all time, that is.

Do not buy then

I won't, don't worry.

Burny

And World of Goo I bought even earlier on iOS.

And I bought it on Android and back in the day WiiWare. So what? Why rack on it when there are other people out there who might just enjoy the ports? Coming in and stating: "Don't want" is the most useless and self-centered thing to do and doesn't contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way. We know they're old games.

If you want to raise a point about porting old games, why not make it at least about the price of the port compared to the game on other platforms?

Turrican3

There's no sensor bar so ir pointing won't be possible but I'd be surprised if they don't do gyro pointing
My point is, more or less... are we absolutely, completely sure there's no IR led array somewhere in the docked configuration?

I swear it boggles my mind seeing that IR camera and thinking it's just for weird Warioware-like applications. That, and the infamous "IR markers" mentioned in the patents.

I want to believe. ^^

My point is, more or less... are we absolutely, completely sure there's no IR led array somewhere in the docked configuration?

I swear it boggles my mind seeing that IR camera and thinking it's just for weird Warioware-like applications. That, and the infamous "IR markers" mentioned in the patents.

I want to believe. ^^

The whole idea that there's a hidden sensor bar makes no sense as nintendo will have no idea where or how someones switch is docked

Turrican3

The whole idea that there's a hidden sensor bar makes no sense as nintendo will have no idea where or how someones switch is docked
I don't think that's the issue: you could misplace the sensor bar, if you really wanted to.

Mind you, I'm NOT arguing you're wrong: actually (and sadly) I think there's a good chance we in fact have no sensor bar in the Switch default configuration. As I said, I'd just be extremely happy to see that happening.

Potentially worthy of a thread but I can't make one.

World of Good confirmed to have touch screen gameplay like the IPhone & iPad version...

AND

Motion control pointer aiming like the Wii version (same method as Skyward Sword perhaps, which didn't use the IR).

Me: Will World of Goo Switch gameplay be compatible with the touchscreen (like iphone version) or have a motion pointer option?

Tomorrow Corp: They will have both

https://twitter.com/tomorrowcorp/status/829866969075642368

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
World of Goo was really fun. I own it on Wii, PC/Mac and iOS. But I don't see myself wanting to buy it again. I beat it and don't really need to beat it again. iOS version was the best because of touch screen input. PC second best. Wii third because shaky hands makes it a pain to be precise.

I've played a bunch of Inferno and it's fun. Never finished it.

And I've been interested in Human Resource Machine. It just looks interesting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If we can play World of Goo in multiplayer with joy-cons, I'm totally getting it again. It's twice as good with other players, one of the big Wii souvenir I keep.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think I'm firmly back on the this will be a worthy Vita successor train. The indies are coming. Damn I want portable World of Goo.

Well don't I feel stupid? This thread just now is where I'm learnin that portable World of Goo already exists on mobile. Fucking over saturated mobile space hiding good games from me again...

People are so desperate for games on the Switch that even ports from the Wii which are also available on mobile are seen as big deals.

Hopefully, World of goo and inferno use switch's multi-touch capability.

Why yes, people see good games as a big deal. That's kind of how it works.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
People are so desperate for games on the Switch that even ports from the Wii which are also available on mobile are seen as big deals.

Hopefully, World of goo and inferno use switch's multi-touch capability.
Posts like this make me so happy. Switch really is the successor to the Vita I wanted!

Wii style pointer while docked and touch screen while undocked confirmed on Twitter for World of Goo.

@TomorrowCorp can you play Goo with the touch screen when undocked?

@famicomplicated indeed you can!

@TomorrowCorp Instabuy! How about when docked? Is there some pointer control, Wii-style, or sticks only?

@famicomplicated There's a Wii-style pointer control when docked. N managed to cram those Joy-cons with a surprising amount of super stars.

Fisty

Wasn't Little Inferno a WiiU launch title? Is there a precedent for a game being a launch title on two consecutive consoles? (minus back comp obviously)

Could the small section of the Switch's screen that protrudes from the dock possibly be used as sensor bar of sorts?

That idea was floated around a lot but it's absolutely ridiculous, Nintendo would have no way of knowing where someone would place their dock and it can I believe be placed horizontally too so that's just a non starter

Top Bottom