• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

PBalfredo

Ab01rLi.png

• Genre: Team-based online multiplayer
• Model: Free2play
• Developer: Wargaming.net
• Platform: PC
• Current Version: 8.8

d5u70gG.png

World of Tanks is a free2play online team-based multiplayer game. You take your tank into 15 vs. 15 battle to take the enemy’s base or destroy all of their vehicles. Winning awards you credits and XP for you to upgrade your tank and research new tanks. All vehicles are divided up by tiers and as you research new tanks you ascend the tech tree, facing opponents appropriate to the tier of your tank.

Combat in World of Tanks is much more methodical than most multiplayer online shooters. For example, tank treads and turrets have a maximum turning speed. You can’t just crank your mouse sensitivity to max and whip it across to turn 180 in a split second. This allows situation such as a nimble light or medium tank being able to destroy a powerful heavy tank by circle-strafing it faster than the heavy’s turret can turn to fire. Where you hit an enemy tank is also very important. Not only do tanks have tougher armor in the front than the sides or rear, but the damage model on tanks are so detailed that you can disable tanks by shooting out their treads, or pierce weakpoints such as crew hatches or machine gun turrets.

30gpAFt.png

N7hZTPc.png
Light Tanks: The primary role of the light tank is scouting, making good use of their speed, small profile and powerful radios. When a tank has visual on an enemy, the position is relayed to all allies within radio range. The enemy appears on your team’s radar and as a red silhouette on the battlefield. Revealing enemy positions allows your artillery to aim and fire from the back rows. Players receive credits and XP from spotted enemies take damage from teammates, so don’t feel that you need to everyone out personally. Often the best scout is the one hiding in the bushes, with the enemy unaware their position is being given away. If you are feeling bloodthirsty, you could use your speed to break through gaps in the enemy’s line and take out their artillery in the back row. Just be careful, light tanks are lacking in armor and armament.

GVPuSMC.png
Medium Tanks: The main fighting forces of any team, medium tanks are well balanced in speed, armor, firepower and maneuverability. Medium tanks fulfill many roles. They can brawl in thick fighting, flank unaware opponents, give fire support from afar, assist a heavy tank’s push, or form wolfpacks to swarm isolated tanks. Medium tanks have the mobility to respond to the changing battlefield, and the power to make an effective difference.

2YMfj9L.png
Heavy Tanks: Thick armor and big guns, but poor speed and maneuverability. A heavy tank is often the spearhead of the push into enemy territory. Just don’t go alone. Heavy tanks have turrets that are slow to turn and guns that are slow to reload and could easily be encircled by fast medium tanks. But properly supported, heavy tanks can change the flow of battle.

bjzhEmd.png
Tank Destroyers: Unlike other vehicles, tank destroyers lack a turret. Their guns are in a fixed forward firing position. This allows them to mount powerful large caliber guns, but also makes them very vulnerable to flanking. Don’t ever allow an enemy to get behind you. Losing your tracks in a position where you are unable to fire at the enemy is often a death sentence for the tank destroyer.

T9xNzAZ.png
Self-Propelled Guns (SPG): These vehicles are the artillery of the team, specializing in indirect fire. The SPG can enter a unique birdseye-view mode. When enemy tanks are spotted by allies, they appear on the SPG’s birdseye view, allowing them to line up their shot from afar, sometimes clear across the whole map. The SPG’s prey of choice is large, slow heavy tanks. However the SPG relies on its allies more than any other tank. It needs it allies to spot its prey and to defend it, as the SPG is poor in a direct confrontation.

H2rOgID.png

j5zKAyi.png
Soviet Union: With big guns and sloped armor which increases the chances of bounced shells, Soviet tanks are very effective in a close up fight. This is good because their guns, while powerful, are sadly lacking in accuracy and aiming speed. Their light tanks are very fast and their later-tier heavies are pretty speedy for their class as well. Soviet medium tanks are good all-around tanks; though they often trade in reload time for firepower.

3UwcLeI.png
Germany: German engineering gives this nation the game’s most accurate guns, even if average damage is lacking compared to other nations. German tanks often feel at home on the second row, using their accurate guns to snipe their enemies. While Germen tanks have solid front armor, they often have a large profile and a comparably sluggish engine.

nrmlBST.png
America: Tanks from the US have great all-around capabilities, good maneuverability and their guns have a high rate-of-fire, even if they sometimes have hard time penetrating front armor. While the armor on their tank hulls are often weak, American tanks have unparalleled turret armor and excellent gun depression (the angle in which the main gun can point downward). This allows them to make great use of “hull down” tactics, where the hull is protected by cover or the crest of a hill (this is where gun depression is important) with only the tank’s heavily armored turret exposed. The American line has some oddities that break convention. Of note, America has the only tank destroyers with a turret! Even stranger, these TDs forgo the thick front armor of most TDs in favor of speed, like the M18 Hellcat, the fasted tracked vehicle of WWII.

qma1QMY.png
France: Wait. What? French tanks? From WWII?! Well, no so much from during the war, but the French line is made of pre-war and post-war tanks. Besides, let’s not forget France invented the modern tank, transforming those lumbering metal rhombus things the British called tanks into the turreted, rear-mounted-engine vehicles we recognized today. Before the war, France tanks relied primarily in armor, so French tank are the most heavily armored vehicles in the lower tiers. After they got blitzed, France decided armor is useless and the higher-tier post-war tanks have high speed and maneuverability but paper thin armor, even their heavy tanks. High tier French tanks also utilize auto-loaders, which carry 4-6 rounds in a clip that can be fired rapidly, but require a lengthy reloading once depleted.

81nJl6n.png
United Kingdom: The nation that invented the tank separated their vehicles into two categories: cruiser tanks that act as modern cavalry to exploit breakthroughs and infantry tanks designed to move and fight with foot soldiers. The cruiser line is made up of fast tanks with high maneuverability and little in regards to armor. Infantry tanks feature heavy armor but, never needing to outpace the infantry, poor speed. British tanks, particularly infantry tanks like the Churchill, have high rate of fire and aiming speed but comparably little damage-per-shot.

T2yhEMW.png
China: The most recent addition to the game, China is a bit of an oddity. China rarely even made its own tanks. Most of their tanks are imported, captured or modified versions of tanks from other nations. The first four tiers of the Chinese tech tree is a mish mash of French, British, (captured) Japanese and American tanks. The rest of their tree is variants of tanks they received from their Cold War ally, making China essentially like playing Soviet Union 2.0.

ZnU85rF.png

The first thing people wonder when they see a free2play game is if it is really a pay2win game? That is not the case in World of Tanks. The real money currency, gold, is mostly used for convenience items, such as more space for tanks in your garage, crew retraining and converting tank-specific XP into Free XP. You can also use gold to subscribe to being Premium Account, which gives you 50% more credits and XP after battles. The only real part of gold that is not a convenience perk is the ability to purchase premium tanks. Premium tanks are only available with gold and earn extra credits in battle. The downside is they cannot be upgraded and are outperformed by upgraded tanks of the same tier. Most Premium tanks are variants of existing tanks, such as the British Lend-Lease tanks for the Soviets or the Panther-M10, though some are unique.

dfTBmOS.png

aXxg8wY.png
Helpful Guides:
World of Tanks Wiki
Quick Start Guide
Newcomer's Guide
Basic Tatics
List of Maps
Detailed Battle Mechanics

e7DEnxx.png
Video Guides:
Getting Started
First Battle
Progress
Game Modes
Clan Wars
Armor Penetration
Camouflage
T32
M24 Chaffee
M3 Lee
M36 Jackson
Super Pershing
VK3002(DB)
IS-3
ARL 44
ELC AMX
T-50-2
KV-2
Type 62
Low-Tier SPGs
Mid-Tier SPGs
French SPGs
French Tank Destroyers
Soviet Tank Destroyers
Soviet Heavy Tanks

TybP8fd.png

Sethos

Banned
As I've said before, wish they added a revamped realism mode with Men of War like penetration, damage and bouncing plus a different take on the spotting and artillery. I'd be all over it.

J-Rzez

Haven't played this in a few months. Before that it was my go to game being unique and pitched in an era of tank warfare that will never be again. Now though I'm burnt out or just bored. The Chinese tanks are just more Russian junks, the Brits let me down big time. Still follow the news for some new German hardware to show up like the 2nd TD and med lines. Need me some leo-1 action. Even if its gimped because it features an iron cross. :p

Took long enough for an OT. I posted a few threads before, but got little interest unfortunately.

Hellix

Haven't played this in a few months. Before that it was my go to game being unique and pitched in an era of tank warfare that will never be again. Now though I'm burnt out or just bored. The Chinese tanks are just more Russian junks, the Brits let me down big time. Still follow the news for some new German hardware to show up like the 2nd TD and med lines. Need me some leo-1 action. Even if its gimped because it features an iron cross. :p

Took long enough for an OT. I posted a few threads before, but got little interest unfortunately.

Grinding is no joke, unless you got a premium account and free experience. I can get into the game days/weeks at a time, then I just need a couple weeks break from it.

JoeMartin

This is pretty much the only game I play regularly anymore. I have fun with it on the whole, but I swear this game needs to be added to the special olympics with the ability of your average player, and the matchmaker can be absolutely infuriating. Spend most of my time pubbing tier 10 matches, which can be an exercise in masochism a lot of the time but I do love my T-62a.

British heavies are awful right until you get the FV215b, which is crazy good.

My tag is Thukker, feel free to add me.

SUPER EDIT: Also, if you are thinking about playing this game at all do yourself and everyone else playing a HUGE FAVOR and spend the 15 minutes to watch this; penetration is by far the most important mechanic to understand for successful gameplay. I'd even recommend hitzone mods until you're familiar with what you can and cannot penetrate, and hitzone mods also provide good guidance on typical tank design features to look for that are easily penetrated or have a high likelihood of causing critical hits - commander's cupolas, MG placements, driver's viewports, hatches, sprockets, fuel tank locations, etc etc. Because of the phenomenal amount of tanks in the game its literally impossible to memorize hard armor values and gun stats, which is why, as you can see in the screenshot earlier in my post, I use Pogs Contour Mod for in-match reference.

Understanding penetration is key. The more you play the more you'll become familiar with other important mechanics like gun depression, terrain passability, camouflage, shot trading, artillery-safe cover, etc etc.

PBalfredo

Good job on the OT.

Thanks, this was my first |OT| and I wanted to make sure it was good.

9grscYj.png

I'm taking advantage of the 2x Crew experience this weekend, and while playing my Easy 8, I noticed this little icon on my dudes. Any idea what it means?

JoeMartin

It's the accelerated crew training icon. The "acceleration" doesn't give doesn't give the whole crew double the experience, it gives the crew member with the lowest total experience double the experience from the proceeding match, you'll notice that icon move from game to game. So how much extra experience you're actually getting with accelerated crew training varies with the number of crew in a tank (i.e. 6 crew members = 117% experience rate, 3 crew members = 133% experience rate).

The 'win of the day' system functions in that the WHOLE crew gets 2x experience for the first win of the day which resets at 8pm EST for the NA server - the tanks with the bonus available to them have the little 'x2' on their icon in the garage. 2x is the normal amount, everyday. WG occasionally do special 3x weekends and for big holidays like Christmas they'll do 5x win of the days for like a week.

Hellix

Ever since 8.3, I been getting some annoying lag. Anyone else? I wish they would take the time to optimize their game instead of pushing out so many new tanks.

PBalfredo

I haven't had any real problems with lag.

So what tanks have everyone been rolling around in lately? I tend to spread myself pretty thin, but lately I've been using my:

Cromwell: I loved running and gunning with my Shermans and good ol' Crommy just takes that up to 11. It's my current favorite tank.
Churchill: Things are going better now that I got its top gun. Wish the armor was bouncier for a heavy tank.
T20: Upgraded and halfway to Pershing. Love the speed, but some some matchups really put the pen of the 90mm to the test.
T29: Got the top gun. Now I'm working on getting the engine upgrades.
KV-13: Just bought this recently after eyeing it for forever. Dat front armor.
Chi-Ha: Leisurely working my way up the Chinese tree. It's top gun is decent, but in every other respect the Chi-Ha is hot garbage. Especially it's stock gun. 30 pen? Great if I'm fighting loltraktors.

Plus I do the odd match in my premiums. I bought a Dicker Max on a whim when it was on sell, and I take out my 105 leFH18B2 for variety. If I'm ever board I go bully teir III and IV tanks in my Pz B2 or take out my TOG II for the lols.

I was with this game through closed and open Beta's and into the first year in production... I loved the game at first and really played it a lot - I had more than 10,000 battles in production just playing until I had pretty much all the tanks I wanted at the time...

Personally, I think it's a pretty great game engine, with decent compromises and balancing creating a challenging but interesting game environment. There are sufficient nods to accuracy to give you a feeling of tank warfare without actually making the game too unforgiving or boring, and as a rule, you get what you give in terms of skills and damage done... Mastering the various tactics of the three types of tanks and artillary can be a lot of fun, and working with a clan to take and hold territory in Clan Wars can be very, very satisfying...

Eventually however, I had to quit Clan Wars because my rl schedule didn't allow for me playing video games at 11:00 pm and later on wednesday nights (I'm EST), and I just found myself playing high tier randoms which can be excruciating. Like most on-line games, most of the player population seems to play as if it's pretty stupid, or drunk, or just doesn't give a shit, so if you play at all competitively randoms can get pretty frustrating pretty fast... Long story short, I uninstalled around April 2012 with nearly 12K battles under my belt and a garage filled with tier 8, 9 and 10 heavies) and stayed away until December...

I wanted to check out the game over Christmas so I installed the latest version and played a couple hundred randoms over a week or ten days to get a taste for the new Brit's and take some of my old faves out for a spin, but the quality of random match players is no better than it ever was, and when I felt the same old irritations creeping into my forebrain again I just said fuck it and uninstalled... I'll probably go back a couple more times over the next couple of years to check out some of the coming additions, but I pretty much feel like I've shot my loadout with this one...

My favorite tanks of all time in WoT (in order of preference): Tiger (absolutely my favorite tank to play - an unforgiving beast though), Tiger II (got my Boelter's Medal in this), M4A3E2, M4A3E8, M5 Stuart (got my Orlik's Medal in this!), E-75, T34, IS-4

9grscYj.png

I'm taking advantage of the 2x Crew experience this weekend, and while playing my Easy 8, I noticed this little icon on my dudes. Any idea what it means?
That icon indicates that this crewmember will receive the lion's share of the split-crew experience next battle (should he survive)... All crew memebers get base experience from the battles, but once your tank is Elite and you divert all earned exp to crew experience, then the extra is given to each of the crew members in turn. The crew member who will receive the extra experience next battle is highlighted... It's a good idea to use a med-kit to revive him if he's killed in that engagement... PS- Brothers in Arms is an AWESOME skill; to get it painlessly, wait until all your crew are at about 80% on their second skill, then cash in the EXP and trade up to Brothers in Arms on the first skill (all your crew must have Brothers in Arms skill @ 100% for it to take effect). It makes a noticable difference, imho...

Lastly, although I agree that WoT isn't generally "pay to win", I will point out that Gold Rounds can give a player a huge advantage in randoms - it's basically "pay to pen", and tho' it won't guarantee a win, it pretty much ensures you'll rack up the EXP+$$$ no matter how your "team" ends up doing... and any fight that's between two tanks of the same type, one with gold rounds and one without, is pretty much an aforesaid conclusion for the gold round shooter... fortunately, gold rounds are sufficiently expensive that almost no one uses them regularly in randoms... of course, everyone uses them all the time in Clan Wars (and if everyone's doing it, it's fair)...

TheExodu5

Banned
I've passed this game until now as I dismissed it as the usual massively popular free to play trite. Giving it a closer look, it looks pretty hardcore and unique. I may have to give it a try shortly.

Hellix

So what tanks have everyone been rolling around in lately?

Panther II: Almost have 200 games in this but still need about 70k experience until the E-50.
Black Prince: It's not terribly bad if you are the top tier in the game, but it struggles with its low alpha damage. Like I posted earlier, I only went through this line to get the Tier 9 and 10 tanks. Unfortunately, the three Churchill tanks are a drag.
SU-152: I haven't played too many games in this. I finally got the tracks and engines for it, so I can move around better. The best thing I noticed is that it seems to have the best stock gun of any tank I've played. I don't think I will be upgrading the gun but I will research them before I hit ISU-152.
M6: Finally researched everything except the engines. Now, I'm just going to grind that 42k experience for the T29.
Hellcat: This entire line of TDs is paper. I do like the fast acceleration and turreted gun though. I still didn't research the top gun, so maybe I will like it better when I do.
M5A1 Stuart: I hate light/scout tanks. I don't know why I want to go down the light/medium line but the tanks look nice. I haven't done a line with scout tanks, so might as well try it with the new Chinese tanks.
M40/M43: After I got the tracks and gun, I stopped paying attention to it. I was losing too many credits playing this tank. The 300k grind to T92 turned me off too.

Eventually however, I had to quit Clan Wars because my rl schedule didn't allow for me playing video games at 11:00 pm and later on wednesday nights (I'm EST), and I just found myself playing high tier randoms which can be excruciating. Like most on-line games, most of the player population seems to play as if it's pretty stupid, or drunk, or just doesn't give a shit, so if you play at all competitively randoms can get pretty frustrating pretty fast... Long story short, I uninstalled around April 2012 with nearly 12K battles under my belt and a garage filled with tier 8, 9 and 10 heavies) and stayed away until December...

I wanted to check out the game over Christmas so I installed the latest version and played a couple hundred randoms over a week or ten days to get a taste for the new Brit's and take some of my old faves out for a spin, but the quality of random match players is no better than it ever was, and when I felt the same old irritations creeping into my forebrain again I just said fuck it and uninstalled... I'll probably go back a couple more times over the next couple of years to check out some of the coming additions, but I pretty much feel like I've shot my loadout with this one...

I am not in a clan, so I have never played in clan wars either. I can't compare the level of play: all 3000+ games have been entirely in randoms. I do play the game seriously but I can't say I am "good." Randoms for the most part are, well, random. Sometimes you get a team that is fantastic and sometimes you don't. Nothing I hate more is doing extremely well in a game but lose due to a poor team. I guess that's why clan players do not like randoms, since it screws with their win/loss ratio and the stupidity of others. I admit I play stupid sometimes when I just lose my patience.

Lastly, although I agree that WoT isn't generally "pay to win", I will point out that Gold Rounds can give a player a huge advantage in randoms - it's basically "pay to pen", and tho' it won't guarantee a win, it pretty much ensures you'll rack up the EXP+$$$ no matter how your "team" ends up doing... and any fight that's between two tanks of the same type, one with gold rounds and one without, is pretty much an aforesaid conclusion for the gold round shooter... fortunately, gold rounds are sufficiently expensive that almost no one uses them regularly in randoms... of course, everyone uses them all the time in Clan Wars (and if everyone's doing it, it's fair)...

Gold rounds can now be purchased with normal credits. They are expensive, but you can still buy them without paying real money.

Since we're sharing profiles, I'll add in mine.

My profile

shock33

Tanks I have mostly been playing:

TOG II* - Just a ludicrous amount of fun, now admittedly much of that is because of the amount of time I get to type total nonsense while trundling at 14kph to the front line, but it does have a reasonably good gun.

ELC AMX - Ridiculous, like driving an RC car with a giant cannon attached to it, one hit and you are toast of course

Chaffee - Painful, don't get on with it at all, painful mm compared to the newer American lights. I also seem to get utterly pounded as soon as I get spotted

Tiger 2 - Good lord it's a long long grind to upgrades, got the tracks, now for the turret then gun. Nice when you're not lower half

Pershing - Nowhere near as good as I seem to remember it (quit for about 6 months) but still reasonable, jack of all trades and while it seems to have dropped in effectiveness in comparison to some of the other T8 mediums its still enjoyable. However, that grind to the M46 is mental, think I'm up to 78k xp now, so just over halfway!

They need to put the type 59 back on sale.

it would be a good boost for the Chinese tree.

I only play Russian and Chinese tanks :D T-44, T-50-2 and the chinese M5A1. Plus the SU-122-44 for moneymaking.

Hellcat: This entire line of TDs is paper. I do like the fast acceleration and turreted gun though. I still didn't research the top gun, so maybe I will like it better when I do.

I am not in a clan, so I have never played in clan wars either.

The Hellcat is a beast in a Tier 6 Tank Company game. full lineup of KV-1S:s, few Hellcats and Grille's to top it off. Best lineup.

Clanwars and Company games with friends is the best the game can offer. It's so satisfying to roll in a formation and have an actual plan of attack and strategy instead of running around headless with randoms :D

it would be a good boost for the Chinese tree.

I only play Russian and Chinese tanks :D T-44, T-50-2 and the chinese M5A1. Plus the SU-122-44 for moneymaking.

I have a T34 from the American tree split earlier last year but i don't enjoy it, i've settled into fast mediums, and fast heavies. So the type 59 would be right up my alley.

I absolutely love this game.

I've got about 2000 games played now, and over the last 1000 or so, I've made massive strides in improving my gameplay. When I first started playing, I'd rush out there and try to face **** everything, and when I died I'd go back to the garage and grab another tank.

Did this for about 200 games (off and on for a few weeks, casually playing). Stopped playing for a few months, and recently got back into it. (Kind of thought it was a 'meh' game.)

Started to really enjoy it the 2nd time, when I started to play it with some buddies. Then I got hooked around the 500 game mark. Been trying to get better and better since.

Anyways, I'm constantly looking for decent people to play with, I even made a forum post on WG forums to try to hook up with above average players, and try to run some pubs, coordinate with non-rando's, and get better in general.

So if any GAF heads wanna run some tanks, lemme know.

http://wotlabs.net/?server=na&clanName=&name=Busta_SMurk

IGN: Busta_SMurk (evenings, EST TZ, US server)

shock33

On mediums (well, pretty much every tank now) I usually go sixth sense on commander, repair or camo everyone else - camo for TDs, scouts, repair on mediums and heavies

Edit: Don't you need everyone on BIA for it to really do anything?

JoeMartin

IRRESPECTIVE OF TANK, your first skill choices should be:

Commander - Sixth sense, followed by repair
Everyone Else - Repair

Sixth sense and repair are the only two 'necessary' crew skills, and both are so obtusely better than everything else that there is no reason not to do this.

Camo is a trap that is almost never worth it except as a 3rd or 4th skill, even on TDs. It adds fractionally better benefits to spot range, and where it has ever mattered environmental camouflage is what is actually hiding you.

BIA is a good 2nd, or a respec once you hit your third skill, and only because it affects ROF/DPM.

PBalfredo

9O0T8nP.jpg

Pretty good for my first game with the M5A1 Stuart! Already a big step up over the Chi-Ha. Though the Mastery badge after a single battle might be a little bit unearned, lol.

The Super Brawl Weekend starts today and it's got some good bonuses and sales. I'm probably going to buy two garage slots. One for when I get the Comet, since I've already decided I want to keep my Cromwell. Another just to feed my insatiable desire to go down damn near every branch of tanks. Picked up binoculars and camo net for my 8.8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger. Now I just need to decide if/what I should get for my T29. Gun rammer, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive or Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2?

Hellix

Anyone know the upgrade path for the Caernarvon? Do you need the tracks before you can mount the turret and any of the guns?

zugzug

Matchmaking still bad, hit that wall at tier7 have fun matching up against tier9 and tier10 and doing no damage to them while they one shot or two shot you.

Let alone try to play a scout tank. At tier 5.

Edit: heh oh yeah I was working on my AMX 12t when patch I forget which exactly 7.6 added 40k exp needed to elite this tank then next patch added 70xp when they added the french SPG line. At the first I was 10k exp away then pile on 40k and 70k needed. near same time they added the ELC tank.

Hellix

Matchmaking still bad, hit that wall at tier7 have fun matching up against tier9 and tier10 and doing no damage to them while they one shot or two shot you.

Let alone try to play a scout tank. At tier 5.

Edit: heh oh yeah I was working on my AMX 12t when patch I forget which exactly 7.6 added 40k exp needed to elite this tank then next patch added 70xp when they added the french SPG line. At the first I was 10k exp away then pile on 40k and 70k needed. near same time they added the ELC tank.

You just have to change your role when you are the bottom tier tank. Rather than a front-line tank, you will play more of a support role for the higher tiers. Depends what type of tank you are using though. Scouts are going to be bottom tier most of the time, since their job is to scout the map, not reliably penetrate other tanks.

Arment

This Super Brawl weekend has been pretty great. 50% off equipment and credit boosts to my KV-1 and M4. Been taking advantage of it big time so I can buy my KV-1S and Sherman Jumbo and get their equipment at half off.

Tier V seems to be where it's at right now, but I'm working on getting to an IS-3 or a Tiger 2 because Tier VIII looks like a blast as well.

PBalfredo

I went a bit mad during Super Brawl weekend. Ended up buying three garage slots, started the French TD line and bought a SU-122-44 with gold crew. Though a bit disappointed with my lack of personal restraint, I'm really liking the stuff I got so far. The SU-122-44 delivers real soviet damage. I'm already impressed by the selection of guns for the RenaultFT AC. Its 47mm gun has a 0.37 accuracy which is pretty damn good for tier II. Already got my mastery badge in that TD using that gun to snipe in Malinovka and Province.

Jackano

Nice OP, and, FINALLY an OT!
Havn't played since the last few weeks but I will come back soon I think. Have this chinese tree to grind up to level 5 like I did with every others.

I play for fun, and not so much for stat/matchs things. I've a lot of tnaks in garage, mostly french and russians, up to tier X for those two trees.

http://wotlabs.net/eu/player/Jackano

Is there a GAF Tank Company?

Hook me up if you need a buddy, tag name is GrosBidou.

I'm grinding up my way to the T29 Heavy Tank from the US while trying to get up my US TD.

I'm also eyeing working on my German tech tree. Not too sure yet if i go German TD or Heavy, I found that I love to snipe and somehow started to hate on the KV2 and IS3 when i'm on the receiving side of their shells.

Hellix

Is there a GAF Tank Company?

Hook me up if you need a buddy, tag name is GrosBidou.

I'm grinding up my way to the T29 Heavy Tank from the US while trying to get up my US TD.

I'm also eyeing working on my German tech tree. Not too sure yet if i go German TD or Heavy, I found that I love to snipe and somehow started to hate on the KV2 and IS3 when i'm on the receiving side of their shells.

If you like sniping then go German mediums.

PBalfredo

German TD is also a very good choice. Particularly because it's the line where you first get the 7,5 cm StuK 42 L/70, the first for-real sniper gun in the German line. You first get it as the top gun of the StuG III, the tier V TD. It's got a fantastic accuracy of 0.33, plus good balance of damage, pen and rate of fire. Lots of fun. Used to be the Panzer IV also got that gun, but they changed it so now it only appears in tier VI mediums.

German mediums are fine snipers too. Haven't gotten into German heavies yet, so I can't vouch for them.

I've put so many hours into this game since the beta, I think i'm up to 10.000 matches if I include the beta.

I've quit last year though, the EU community has turned to complete garbage.
High tier play has become extremely poor.

They started dumbing it down : only half tracers for artillery, the lightbulb when you get spotted, a majority of tanks having enough penetration to be able to ignore armor and weak spots, increasing random module dmg over and over since beta.

It was an excellent game with an almost endless learning curve and rewarding gameplay before all this has diminished that.

The greatest fuckup is they keep releasing more tanks and blurring the lines between what makes the tanks different.
You used to have your high turret armor medium speed weak hulled hulldown playstyle american tanks, bouncy slower high alpha damage low accuracy russian tanks, accurate and decent allrounded german tanks.

They all had their quirks making the playstyles for them completely different (which added a ton of variety to the game and made it very rewarding and fun to play).
I thought even the french tanks were different enough and encouraged better teamplay to add to the game in a meaningful way.
But since then they've released nothing but in between/mix tanks to the point where their identity is lost and the playstyles barely vary, they just keep adding more for the sake of adding more.

Tips:
-CREDITS are the limited resource! NOT exp!!!
-Get premium if you enjoy the game after tier 6 or you'll never have any credits and be really disadvantaged with no crew training or modules.
(seriously, I have 54 percent winrate doing nothing but pugging , top 1 percent player rank on about a third of my tanks and earn way more per battle than the average player, and I'm still skint WITH premium)

-Never spend bonus experience to unlock a new tank.
You will be VERY tempted but don't do it!!! lesson hard learned by all veteran players, save your bonus exp to ungimp your stock tanks after you unlock them!!

gameplay: tips
-learn about armor penetration mechanics , angling, the armor values of each area of each tank, learn what spaced armor does, learn how penetration drops off at range.
Understanding these mechanics will make you perform much better, if you don't understand the game you will feel like the game is being unfair, which it isn't (rng aside).

-learn how camo and viewrange work! without this you will suck

-wait for slower tanks, there is no point in rushing ahead of your team and getting yourself killed , nor is there a point in spotting enemies (if you can be shot) if there is noone to shoot them for you!

-you aren't rambo, trading your hp for your enemies' in a 1:1 or worse ratio is a recipe for losing, learn to play together and to learn to position/play in a way that your side gets off more shots than the enemy side.

-learn your role.... not just every tank type has a role, different nations and models of the same tank type can have VASTLY different roles.
learning your role is half the fun of the game
Your role also varies wildly depending on team set up AND on if you are a top tier or bottom of the barrel tank.
A heavy can become a forward pair of (hidden and not participating) eyes for the tank destroyers instead of a main brawler, or a low tier tank can help protect the butt of the big boys in city streets from enemy meds etc.
Adapt your role or you will be spending most of your time complaining about the matchmaking.

And lastly: Play on the russian servers if you understand russian, the EU community is garbage and the US one isn't that much better.
5/10 tier 8-10 tank players don't follow the rules listed above, 2 years ago 9/10 players at tier 8+ played properly.

Arment

The KV-1S is my favorite tank of all time. I one-shotted a Churchill VII a couple hours ago. Best day ever.

With that said I can't wait to get the IS-3.

Edit: The IS is pretty awesome.

antonz

Finally, I had a good game in my Caernarvon.

The Caern is a brutal tank until you get that final gun and even then you get to deal with lots of stupid people who think you should be leading the charge. I really do like the accuracy on the move though. Surprised many a scout thinking they were bad ass and me blowing them away even while on the move.

Brick

League of Legends really changed my perspective on how good free to play games can be, so I'm going to give this a shot. Download it right now.

Hellix

The Caern is a brutal tank until you get that final gun and even then you get to deal with lots of stupid people who think you should be leading the charge. I really do like the accuracy on the move though. Surprised many a scout thinking they were bad ass and me blowing them away even while on the move.

I am about 15k exp away from the Type B gun. My win rate is in the lower 40s in this tank; it is rough dealing with tier 8-10 tanks just ripping through my armor. Definitely not use to it coming from the Black Prince. Yet, it is probably the most fun I had playing a tank (once I got the Type A gun). Even if I am only doing ~230 damage, I can penetrate almost anything with this fast aiming time and rate of fire.

League of Legends really changed my perspective on how good free to play games can be, so I'm going to give this a shot. Download it right now.

It has a somewhat of a steep learning curve but it is fun. Lots of grinding though.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hello fellow tankers; just discovered the thread.

Decided to unlock a SPG for the first time yesterday, and within a few matches I managed this:

shot_002apwrzf.jpg

Adds a nice bit of variety to my rotation and lets me get revenge on those SPGs who have murdered me in the past :)

Hellix

Decided to unlock a SPG for the first time yesterday, and within a few matches I managed this:

I played the Hummel on a friend's account, and I think you will like it once you get it. It is a bit better than the M41 (what I had) from what I can tell.

Same here - finally an OT. Although I rarely have time to play anymore :(

I like it since it is pretty easy to jump in and out whenever. A match or two can take less than ten minutes. Just enough time to get the daily double exp on your most played tank(s).

PBalfredo

Hello fellow tankers; just discovered the thread.

Adds a nice bit of variety to my rotation and lets me get revenge on those SPGs who have murdered me in the past :)

Good win. I think it's a good idea for every tanker to play an SPG. Even if it's just a bit with a tier II arty. It really helps you get an idea of how artillery operate and the insight is really helpful in avoiding artillery shells in your own tank.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Good win. I think it's a good idea for every tanker to play an SPG. Even if it's just a bit with a tier II arty. It really helps you get an idea of how artillery operate and the insight is really helpful in avoiding artillery shells in your own tank.

Absolutely. Just seeing the overhead tactical map they get was a revelation. Has definitely helped me avoid arty fire when not using SPGs.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
In my continued quest for match variety I unlocked the M2 and M3:

shot_004apcspn.jpg

Big fat heavy tanks are so much fun to circle and kill.

Top Bottom