• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I haven't had any issues beyond those normally experienced with pubs. x5 did, however, get me to bring my starter tanks out of retirement:

worldoftanks2013-02-2mjdxu.jpg

worldoftanks2013-02-2txc6h.jpg

In general, I find the lower tiers more enjoyable. You speed around, use your machine gun canons, and have a fast match turnaround time.

Deadbeat

Banned
Edit: Gift card sold

Anywho, I have been keeping my setup as a hetzer since I get the most enjoyment out of it.
In general, I find the lower tiers more enjoyable. You speed around, use your machine gun canons, and have a fast match turnaround time.
I agree lower tiers are more fun.

PBalfredo

5x XP day. Cue a string of games where I get some kills, but my dumbass team loses, and then we only win on games were I don't hit anything and die early.

Then, this happens:

peITQxg.jpg

I <3 Cromwell

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Wow, very nice! Think the highest xp amount I got during the weekend was ~9.5K on my Lowe.

This was by far my favourite win, however, simply because the NC-31 is a POS and I managed to kill 10 enemies without taking a single hit :D

worldoftanks2013-02-2wudv3.jpg

worldoftanks2013-02-2effwm.jpg

vazel

Banned
If anyone's new to the game use this invite code to get 2500 gold. I got it in the nvidia f2p bundle with my 660ti.

PBalfredo

5Tas7IN.png

The 8.4 update is out, which adds British Tank Destroyers. TDs from tier V on all have a monstrous 200+ front armor, but are very slow to move or turn. These should prove to be nasty lane plugs, especially in the mid-tiers. I'm also interested in some of the quirky low tier TDs, like the Alecto, which looks like a very fun little flanker, much like the T49.

I got a Churchill 1 with 33,000 xp, now the question is should I continue on to the Churchill VII or save up a bit more to jump to the Churchill Gun Carrier?

Anton668

wow, missed this thread last time i checked when making a thread about 8.0

well now I can hang out in here.

Clan recruitment frowned on in here?

*cough*Banzai Institute for Advanced Armored Warfare*cough*

Hellix

I got a Churchill 1 with 33,000 xp, now the question is should I continue on to the Churchill VII or save up a bit more to jump to the Churchill Gun Carrier?

The Churchill GC is depressing. I think it is the worst tank in the entire game and people on the WoT forums seem to agree. I am trying my best to get one good win but it seems virtually impossible without having some type of lucky game/situation. I am curious how people are getting some games with over 1k experience with this thing.

This tank has no armor whatsoever; you will not last long enough to survive more than 3 hits. The best way to play it is to shoot and get into cover immediately, because anything is going to penetrate you. Even if you get shot once, you are likely to get your gun destroyed or the gunner dies. The limited gun arc means you have to literally aim directly at your enemy. With its poor camo values and limited view range, it's easy to get shot without seeing anything in front of you.

The ONLY good thing is the 32pdr gun but even that cannot save this tank. It has some random accuracy/terrible impulse where your shot can often go outside your reticule. The penetration is high but I noticed a lot of bounced shots. I also noticed my damage being -25% most of the time (as you know WoT uses a damage randomization of +/- 25%). Regardless, the tank is so slow that by the time you get into firing position, turn your hull, and aim, the enemy is likely already killed by your team or too late to make a difference in the game. I am starting to get games where I am dealing over 1k damage but it seems rare with how easy this thing gets spotted and killed.

After all that, I hope you make the decision to go with the Churchill VII. It's not the best tank, but it is worth it to get to the Caernarvon and Conqueror. As soon as I can research the AT-7, I am selling the CGC. If you want to play the new British TDs, you should probably play the entire line because the CGC has no guns that carries over to the AT-7 anyway. I will just use free experience eventually to get those guns once I get the AT-7.

wow, missed this thread last time i checked when making a thread about 8.0

well now I can hang out in here.

Clan recruitment frowned on in here?

*cough*Banzai Institute for Advanced Armored Warfare*cough*

Well the thread isn't really active enough for anything to be frowned upon at this point.

vazel

Banned
I'm really hooked on this game. I only played it sparingly for the longest time because I was put off by its arcadey aspects, getting free gold with my nvidia f2p bundle got me to play the game seriously, and now I realize it's a surprisingly tactical and well balanced game.

I'm pissed that most of the German premium vehicles are lame. I wanted to get the Panther-M10 but it's not a good tank considering its tier. I'm not expecting premium vehicles to be op but they should at least be up to the standards of its tier. I ended up getting the Super Pershing as my credit earner.

Anton668

Well the thread isn't really active enough for anything to be frowned upon at this point.

in that case...

http://biaaw.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=466236&TabID=4023469
http://worldoftanks.com/community/clans/1000006825-BIAAW/#wot&mt_order_by=role

we're a new clan formed after breaking off from our former due to the leader being.... um... whats the PC term for someone who is a socially inept d'bag? whatever... we left and are doing our own thing. eclectic mix of casual/hardcore group

JoV

Have been enjoying watching the BohemianEagle vids on Youtube, using them to try and ease myself into the game.

Does anyone on here also play War Thunder? My apologies for the off topic question, or if a thread already exists for it.

PBalfredo

Haven't heard of it before. But I'll check it out. It's made by the same guys who did Wings of Prey, right? It'll be interesting to see how this compares to World of Warplanes. At least this one lists that it will have the P-38 at release, Wargaming.

The Churchill GC is depressing. I think it is the worst tank in the entire game and people on the WoT forums seem to agree. I am trying my best to get one good win but it seems virtually impossible without having some type of lucky game/situation. I am curious how people are getting some games with over 1k experience with this thing.

This tank has no armor whatsoever; you will not last long enough to survive more than 3 hits. The best way to play it is to shoot and get into cover immediately, because anything is going to penetrate you. Even if you get shot once, you are likely to get your gun destroyed or the gunner dies. The limited gun arc means you have to literally aim directly at your enemy. With its poor camo values and limited view range, it's easy to get shot without seeing anything in front of you.

The ONLY good thing is the 32pdr gun but even that cannot save this tank. It has some random accuracy/terrible impulse where your shot can often go outside your reticule. The penetration is high but I noticed a lot of bounced shots. I also noticed my damage being -25% most of the time (as you know WoT uses a damage randomization of +/- 25%). Regardless, the tank is so slow that by the time you get into firing position, turn your hull, and aim, the enemy is likely already killed by your team or too late to make a difference in the game. I am starting to get games where I am dealing over 1k damage but it seems rare with how easy this thing gets spotted and killed.

After all that, I hope you make the decision to go with the Churchill VII. It's not the best tank, but it is worth it to get to the Caernarvon and Conqueror. As soon as I can research the AT-7, I am selling the CGC. If you want to play the new British TDs, you should probably play the entire line because the CGC has no guns that carries over to the AT-7 anyway. I will just use free experience eventually to get those guns once I get the AT-7.

Wow, that is depressing. Onward to the Churchill VII then. Besides, I already bought yet another garage slot and started on the UK TD line, lol.

Played in a platoon with a buddy for a bit, and we were both rolling with BDRs with the big boy gun. The big potato is very effective in pairs. The top gun on it can two-shot pretty much anything it runs into, so rolling as a pair and focus firing on whatever we come across works really well. Both using the same vehicle also sidesteps Matchmakings tendency to put us in funky matchups when we're using different vehicles.

Hellix

I finally got the Ace badge for the Churchill GC. Funny enough it was on the Widepark map, which is small enough that you barely need to move to get into a firing position.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Fraid not!

In other news, the models and textures are outstanding when you pump up the res (3840x2160, SMAA Ultra, Bicubic Sharper Downsampled):

screenshot37897d1um6.png

Anton668

so i've been grinding my way up the Brit TD line and have to say.. so far, its been quite the ride. Though whomever came up with the first gun "upgrade" on the AT8 surely had to be trolling the userbase!

ETA: the stock gun on the AT 8 was bad enough at tier 5. at tier 6 a stock AT 8 make you want to go out and kick puppys!! But when you make it to the top gun upgrade, night and day difference in the tank...

iuTH4bsD6XX42.jpg

AndyBNV

Nvidia
so i've been grinding my way up the Brit TD line and have to say.. so far, its been quite the ride. Though whomever came up with the first gun "upgrade" on the AT8 surely had to be trolling the userbase!

ETA: the stock gun on the AT 8 was bad enough at tier 5. at tier 6 a stock AT 8 make you want to go out and kick puppys!! But when you make it to the top gun upgrade, night and day difference in the tank...

iuTH4bsD6XX42.jpg

What main menu mod is that?

zugzug

Wow this damn game. Kv-2 i'm in using the big derp gun can only hit things at close range I drove up behind a vk3601 less than 1 1/2 tank lengths away from his behind I shot aimed even aimed at his behind and it did zero damage. I was so shocked i just stood there typed out in general chat go and and kill me that was such an utter bullshit no damage shot. I let him drive around get behind me 4-5 tank lengths and just kill me dead by his 3rd shot at my rear I finally turned my turret around again fired at him from the front this time didnt' care at this point again hit him and zero damage.

Died, just quit out of game to post this and now go play something else no way no way that shot at him at his rear did no damage.

Matchmaking is so fishy anyways no way everyone is so close to 50% win/loss no way.
This game is streaky so consistently that I'm starting to believe fishiness

After i get the final third gun on the KV-2 for 14.4k exp, it will cost me another 123k in exp. Right now no way I can see myself doing it and right now I'd hate it with a passion. Freaking wall of exp hitting my face and laffing.
Edit: On top of that at exp wall with all 4 french tanks. AMX 1390/tier8 the heavy 45 50, the tier 5 or 6 french TD i forget its name need 55k to elite that and move on, then the tier 6 Lor Arty 100+ k exp needed to elite.

Hellix

Wow this damn game. Kv-2 i'm in using the big derp gun can only hit things at close range I drove up behind a vk3601 less than 1 1/2 tank lengths away from his behind I shot aimed even aimed at his behind and it did zero damage. I was so shocked i just stood there typed out in general chat go and and kill me that was such an utter bullshit no damage shot. I let him drive around get behind me 4-5 tank lengths and just kill me dead by his 3rd shot at my rear I finally turned my turret around again fired at him from the front this time didnt' care at this point again hit him and zero damage.

Died, just quit out of game to post this and now go play something else no way no way that shot at him at his rear did no damage.

Matchmaking is so fishy anyways no way everyone is so close to 50% win/loss no way.
This game is streaky so consistently that I'm starting to believe fishiness

After i get the final third gun on the KV-2 for 14.4k exp, it will cost me another 123k in exp. Right now no way I can see myself doing it and right now I'd hate it with a passion. Freaking wall of exp hitting my face and laffing.
Edit: On top of that at exp wall with all 4 french tanks. AMX 1390/tier8 the heavy 45 50, the tier 5 or 6 french TD i forget its name need 55k to elite that and move on, then the tier 6 Lor Arty 100+ k exp needed to elite.

The 122m derp gun or the 152mm? Those guns already have low penetration values as it is. The RNG in this game can be frustrating at times, so it isn't out of the question for it to not penetrate and just bounce.

Also, the average win rate on the NA server is about 48% I believe. Most people being around 50% is pretty normal with the matchmaking system and all the other variables on your team. If people only play tank companies, it wouldn't be surprising to see people around 60% WR.

I know that feel about the experience grind though. I just finished grinding all the modules on my Conqueror (except top engine), which added up to more experience than I needed to unlock the damn tank in the first place. Just play your daily doubles on your tanks and you will slowly get there.

Anton668

New Map Revealed: Moon
New Map Revealed: Moon
World of Tanks is proud to announce the release of a brand new map: Moon. Set on the face of our nearby celestial neighbor, Moon is an exciting locale that defies the norms of map design and will be your next 'must see' tanking destination. With breathtakingly luminous terrain and a backdrop of a myriad of stars to illuminate the skies, World of Tanks' realistic rendering system will enable the light to reflect off the metal surfaces of your tank--you'll really sparkle.

and....

Zombie Mode Coming

I wonder what todays date is? hmmmmmm

Anton668

and even more "news"...

Tankers!

As we continue to produce new content for World of Tanks, it's become clear that many of our players are interested in the obscure (but creative) tank designs that came out of the World War II era. We did some serious digging, and are pleased to announce a new vehicle for the Soviet forces: the ST-2T spherical tank!

As most of you are well aware, Wargaming prides itself on portraying vehicles with a great deal of historical accuracy. Even if it existed only in blueprints, we take the time to do our research before we deploy it to our battlefields. The ST-2T did see one instance of combat, but was never mass produced. Expect the vehicle to peform the same role a lot of medium tanks typically adopt. However, it, and a few others, will be situated on an offshoot of the Soviet heavy branch. They'll be fast moving and pack a mean punch.

ipVMSuaa0hqhJ.jpg

A New Challenger Has Appeared: ST-2T

Anton668

World of Tanks 2nd Anniversary Weekend Extravaganza

Tankers!

Two years! Two whole years World of Tanks has been rolling along here in North America. It's been an amazing journey so far, and we've got our amazing community to thank for that. Our players are what make this game incredible, and one of the ways we're showing our appreciation for all your enthusiasm is to throw down a mountain of discounts and bonuses for this weekend's special. It's party time!

Event Begins: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) April 12, 2013

Event Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) April 15, 2013

5X Experience for the First Victory of the Day in Each Vehicle
50% Credit Discount for Equipment
50% Gold & Credit Discount fo Crew Training and Retraining
Gold Discount for Premium:

3 days for 350
7 days for 650
360 days for 21,600
180 days for 12,150

Medal Hunt: Top Gun

Earn an extra 25,000 every time you obtain the Top Gun Medal

30% Credit Increase Per Battle & 30% Credit Discount on the Following Tier VIII Tanks & Tier VI SPGs
ISU-152
SU-101
T28 Prototype
T28
Ferdinand
Jagdpanther II
AMX AC Mle. 1948
AT 15
AMX 13 90
WZ-132
T-44
T69
M26 Pershing
Centurion Mk. I
Panther II
T-34-2
IS-3
KV-4
T32
Caernarvon
VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A
Pz.Kpfw. Tiger II
AMX 50 100
SU-14
M12
GW Panther
Lorraine155 50

15% Gold Discount on the Following Premium Vehicles
T26E4 Super Pershing
T34
IS-6
FCM 50 t
8,8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger
Löwe

100% Credit Increase Per Battle for the Following Vehicles
SU-85
T49
M10 Wolverine
AT 2
StuG III
S-35 CA
T-34
M4 Sherman
M7
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Pz.Kpfw. III/IV
Type T-34
KV-1
T1 Heavy Tank
Churchill I
BDR G1B

50% Credit Increase Per Battle for the Following Vehicles
T-50-2
M24 Chaffee
59-16
Crusader
VK 16.02 Leopard
ELC AMX
SU-8
M41
Hummel
AMX 13 F3 AM

thank god I can now buy some more vents for my tanks!

AndyBNV

Nvidia
BONUS CODE:
2NDBDAYTANKS

(in capital letters)

After inputting the bonus code, you will receive all of the following:

1 Day of Premium Account
5x Case of Cola
5x Chocolate
5x Improved Combat Rations
5x Pudding and Tea
5x Strong coffee
5x Extra Combat Rations

Happy Birthday!

screenshot3879dsglb5v.png

I haven't played in months. Saw this thread, loaded it back up. Still like the game, but I'm fucking terrible at it, and it drives me madd.

I'm constantly trying to get better, adjusting strats on maps, tank set-ups, and always trying to find a way to compliment whatever the rest of the group is doing. I'm constantly actively contributing to whatever the fleet seems to be doing, even if I don't agree with it, I go with it and try to help out. I use my brain, and when I see good opportunities to move up, or do something specific, I take it, or tell my fleet members to.

I don't know.

Love the game, can't get better at it. Really frustrating.

Anton668

8.5 Update Notes

some highlights -

Content Changes

Added new branch of German medium and light tanks:
VK 20.01 (D) (MT Tier IV)
VK 30.02 (D) v1 (MT Tier VI)
Aufklarerpanzer Panther (LT Tier VII)
Indien Panzer (MT Tier VIII)
Prototype der Arbeitsgruppe A (MT Tier IX)
Leopard 1 (MT Tier X)

Added new branch of USSR light tanks:
&#1058;-60 (LT Tier II)
&#1058;-70 (LT Tier III)
&#1058;-80 (LT Tier IV)

Added new map: Pearl River
Changes and improvements for after-battle statistics screen
Added a display of team status as a list of vehicle types icons at the top of the screen

Gameplay and Game Mechanics

Added gameplay and visual fixes for the following maps: Redshire, El-Halluf, Karelia, Prohorovka, and Sand River
Added improvements for Assault mode for the following maps: Malinovka, Karelia, and Sand River

Premium consumables (med kits, repair kits, etc.) are now available for credits (according to gold/credits exchange rate similar to that of premium shells)
Creation of platoons for 3 players is now available for basic accounts
Creation of tank companies is now available for basic accounts
Added new Match Maker rule for the balancing of light tanks:
All vehicles marked as Scout will be balanced according to the currently existing SPG rule: balance weight of Scouts in both teams won’t differ on more than +/-20 balance weight points

The following vehicles will be marked as Scouts:

USSR

T-50
T-50-2

Germany

Pz38nA
Luchs
VK 16.02
VK 28.01
Auf_Panther

United States

M24 Chaffee
T21
T71

France

ELC AMX
AMX 12t
AMX 13 75
AMX 13 90

China

M5A1 Stuart
59 16
WZ 131
WZ 132

Reduced credit cost for temporary camouflages, emblems, and inscriptions
Reduced terrain resistance when driving a tank on some destroyed objects

Graphics

Improved visual models for the following vehicles: IS-3, Valentine AT, Pz V Panther, Pz IV/V, Object 263, VK 3001H, Conqueror, IS-4&#1052;, Matilda Black Prince, IS-7, ARL-44, and Black Prince
Reworked graphics for the following maps: Siegfried Line, South Coast, and Malinovka

zugzug

So I was on my AMX 45 50 tier 7 right, it was a Tier 8 match with 3 tier 8. We had a ELC AMX platoon with a clanmate, the clanmate apparently at the last minute picked the AMX 40 right ..... only thing was said was "fail Platoon" I didn't realize at all during the 30 second countdown it was a AMX 40. Match Started one of the tier 8's just starts driving forward turns his turrent to the right it was sorta on my screen to my left and BLAM! the Tier 8 just one shots the AMX 40 and kills him with friendly fire. Then Launches into a 3 line insult screaming at the AMX 40. The other platoonmate defended the AMX 40 by saying he had queued before he knew his teammate picked the the AMX 40. But it was shocking sometimes when its silence and you can hear someone else get shot and utterly penetrated like this the game sounds = good.

Needless to say I reported twice for team damage and insult and provocation against the Tier 8......

Then I proceeded to have a really bad game and die to a Tank Destroyer in 3 shots and continue on with my 34% win rate on the AMX 45 50....Go GO 50k more exp needed to get out of this tank. I mean I like the tank how it drives its gun just slightly below average, my crew is at 100% now and reload times have sped up well, but it simply cannot handle being shot at all by anyone even Tier6's can dominate this tank.

look me up in game. same name

gah! thanks for reminding me I suck :(

anyways.. that equipment sale was expensive! musta spent over 3 mil creds!

Sweet dude, added you.

If anyone else on US server wants to add me: Busta_SMurk, I play afternoons if I'm not working, otherwise, evenings. (EST TZ)

Hellix

Just need 10k more exp for the Indein-Panzer when 8.5 releases.

So I was on my AMX 45 50 tier 7 right, it was a Tier 8 match with 3 tier 8. We had a ELC AMX platoon with a clanmate, the clanmate apparently at the last minute picked the AMX 40 right ..... only thing was said was "fail Platoon" I didn't realize at all during the 30 second countdown it was a AMX 40. Match Started one of the tier 8's just starts driving forward turns his turrent to the right it was sorta on my screen to my left and BLAM! the Tier 8 just one shots the AMX 40 and kills him with friendly fire. Then Launches into a 3 line insult screaming at the AMX 40. The other platoonmate defended the AMX 40 by saying he had queued before he knew his teammate picked the the AMX 40. But it was shocking sometimes when its silence and you can hear someone else get shot and utterly penetrated like this the game sounds = good.

Needless to say I reported twice for team damage and insult and provocation against the Tier 8......

Most of the time, everyone will just kill the lower tier tank regardless. It happens often that some low tier tank will platoon with higher tiers as some sort of joke. It really puts you at a disadvantage when you are on that team with a wasted tank slot.

zugzug

yeah I've seen joke platoons where like a tier 1 is matched up with us or on enemy team but never seen so ruthless toxic atitude like that before more like it was a joke our pet companion or there is a bounty on whoever does kill him.

Anton668

Most of the time, everyone will just kill the lower tier tank regardless. It happens often that some low tier tank will platoon with higher tiers as some sort of joke. It really puts you at a disadvantage when you are on that team with a wasted tank slot.

we just report for unfair play...

Sweet, good thing I decided to look at the community side for the first time since WUST's. People need to stop playing this game, I used to be ranked around 99,000th and then more people joined so despite having better scores/ratings I'm now 196,579th.

Dangit. Was not fast enough, they are out of keys.

Dagnabbit, didn't scroll down quickly enough. Or notice that the number of keys remaining was 0.

Oh well, any reason this alienware thing cares about your military history? I'm apparently lvl 3, no clue what that means.

Top Bottom