• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

Anton668

so, WoT was crashing my computer left and right.

decided to delete and to a fresh install with mods

wouldnt even load

removed mods... fired right up

got down to installing the zoom mod.

zoom mod crashed the game

so.. do not use the zoom mod from curse!!!!

and if you ever have a problem, remove mods and then add 1 at a time

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to thank Das-J for the bonus code. :)

I started playing WoT with some prompting from some relatives a few weeks ago and have been lurking this thread since... the OP and advice in here has been really helpful.

Right now I've only been playing Russian tanks - having too much fun driving my T-50 around and am working my way to the KV-1. I'm thinking of going through some German tank lines once I'm done there...

Hellix

Thanks again Das-J.

I started playing WoT with some prompting from some relatives a few weeks ago and have been lurking this thread since... the OP and advice in here has been really helpful.

We need less lurkers, since the OT is always dead.

Anton668

Me and the gang are trying to get a team together for the Battle of Gazala Challenge

Tier & Point Limits
Teams may deploy no more than 5 members in each match. A team must field a selection of tanks based on the below tier limits.
Heavy: 4
Medium: 4
TD: 4
Light: 3
SPG: 3
18 points maximum

Schedule
The complete schedule will be provided at the close of registration, after the final team count has been determined. Rounds and are to be scheduled every other day with dates in between reserved for make-ups and tie-breakers. Rounds will begin at 6PM PST (9PM EST, 01:00 UTC the following day). Curious what time this is in your region? Use this handy Time Zone Converter to help you out!
Group Stage: June 17th
Group Stage, Tie-Breaker: June 18th
Playoff Round 1: June 19th
Playoff Round 2: June 21st
Playoff Round 3: June 23rd
Remainder of schedule TBA post registration

registration ends at 7PM EST TONIGHT and we only have 5 out of a possible 8 players.
If anyone would like to help out here is our team page Team: [BIAAW]Banzai Institute password is 8675309 (Damn you Tommy Tutone!!)

would be greatly appreciated!
we also use raidcall for voicecomms

PBalfredo

I haven't been in a tournament before so I'll give it a go and help out another GAFfer. I got a B2 Bis which should be perfect for this.

Anton668

grazie.
im going to try to hold off submitting us as long as I can to see if we get anymore. reserves are so helpful in a multi day skirmish!

we did the open with the min amount and there were a few times we ended up short. was NOT fun!

ETA:
Team status: pending approval

Anton668

15th Anniversary Heavy Tank Marathon

What it boils down to is that the top 50 XP earners in a single battle for every heavy tank, tier IV to tier X, will receive a gold reward, and the top three individuals with the highest XP score in a single battle for the tier, will received gold and a tank! Every tank is a separate prize pool, one for each heavy tank in the game (excluding premium tanks), expect the winners' lists to be huge!

The first set of tanks up for this special event series are heavy tanks! All heavy tanks tier IV to tier X, aside from Premium vehicles, are eligible for this contest.
Contest Starts: 07:00 PDT (10:00 EDT) June 15, 2013

Contest Ends: 16:59 (19:59 EDT) on July 14, 2013

Contest Details & Rules

Battle results that are counted will not included bonuses (Premium account, bonus XP for first victory of day, Operation rewards, etc.)
Note that the maximum XP recorded in your Service Record is not a raw total
Only random battles will count. No Clan Wars or Company Battles will be counted
No screenshots, replays, or any other player submitted content is required to win. We'll be pulling these stats directly from our database
Only your stats in heavy tanks tier IV to X, aside from Premium vehicles, will count
Please be aware that any attempt to articially inflate your score (entirely determined at the discretion of Wargaming staff) is grounds for disqualification from the event
How to Win 3,000

It's simple: place in the top 50 of XP earners in any heavy tank tier IV to X, aside from Premium vehicles, during this event and you'll be rewarded with in-game Gold. Score in the top three spots for your tier and you'll get a free tank on top of your gold!

How to Win Tanks

Gold isn't the only thing we're giving away. If you manage to make it into the top three in any of the tiers, you'll be rewarded with a tank and Gold. Already own the tank? You'll get the in-game Gold equivalent instead!

1st Place: Type 59
*Comes with garage slot

2nd Place: Type 62
*Comes with garage slot

3rd Place: Pz. B2
*Comes with garage slot

Grand Prix Winner

The player that manages to score into the top three spots the most number times, appearing as number one at least once, will receive a very special prize in addition to all of the other rewards: 15 Years of Premium!

In the event of a tie between two or more people a scoring system will determine the Grand Prix Winner:

Each 1st place finish will be worth 3 points
Each 2nd place finish will be worth 2 points
Each 3rd place finish will be worth 1 point
If there is STILL a draw, those players involved in that draw will receive the Grand Prix prize

just in case you missed the bolded part...

receive a very special prize in addition to all of the other rewards:
iGKHL1YDz0Vnw.png

so um yeah.... theres that...

Anton668

had a good run tonight in the challenge!

again, thanks to PB for lending a hand

Group 4 Standings

# Teams P
1 Solvite 24
2 [BIAAW]Banzai Institute 24
3 Grupo Tático 1 BOP 21
4 Team NSA 19
5 Prowler 15
6 OBC 12
7 las salchichas humanas... 10
8 14th SS Panzer Battalion 3
9 AXIIS 3
10 derpheadz 3

should put us in a great position for seeding in the playoffs!

antonz

Oh god with that heavy tank marathon I need to dig my E-75 out of the garage. I am a monster with it. Best game in an E-75 11 kills. My team got steamrolled and I ended up losing because I was at like 10% health and could in no way get back to base in time to stop their 1 survivor from capping

Good job Anton, that's really good.

I hear we should be getting 8.6 next Tuesday. EU is apparently getting it Thursday, and were the following Tuesday. At least that's what some people on the WoT forums think.

Either way, I'm not too excited for it. Play on the test server some, and it's going to take some time for me to come around with some of the changes.

Anton668

yeah, but im used to it by now.

hey, russian devs, russian servers...

and by the time it gets here, the mods have been updated already :)

Since 8.6 is coming, I wanted to make sure I got a replay recorded where I got Radley-Walters and Crucial Contribution in the same game. (8-kills, + 12-kills with platoon)

If anyone is interested, it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTyysaeMuXQ (I don't monetize videos, there are no ads.)

It's on Widepark and is only 5 minutes long, I commentated it...

I was driving the KV1S.

(I haven't uploaded a video on YouTube in like 6 months. Man, they changed it around a lot. I really dislike it.)

Anton668

well, servers just went down for 8.6

also....

New Servers Coming Online
We've seen your requests to add more servers to improve the overall quality of the game experience of World of Tanks, that's why this news is extra special to share with you. While we will be rolling out the new 8.6 Update on Tuesday, June 25, we'll be switching to a multicluster configuration and bringing online a West Coast server to compliment our existing East Coast server. This will hopefully alleviate any connection issues some of our players may have encountered, as well as preparing us for the future with World of Warplanes and other projects.

im not sure they understood the problem, the biggest problem I was aware of was the shitty company they have. telia. everytime I have lag, those are the hops where the problems are. every damn time!

sure the west coast will be better off, but east coast is still stuck with shit :(

oh, also also cuz ppl were asking..

T26E4 SuperPershing
The frontal armor of the T26E4 SuperPershing is not currently representative of its historical counterpart and its performance may see a dip once the 8.6 Update is released -- due to overall gameplay changes coming with this update. As a result, we'll be temporarily be removing this vehicle from the in-game store. Players who already own this tank will still have the ability to play it.

The changes for the T26E4 SuperPershing will not arrive in time for the 8.6 Update, but when we've finished tinkering it'll once again become available. Which update that will occur in has yet to be determined. Most of the changes will center around altering the armor angles of the frontal plates, and an exact list of the changes will be provided in a future article. Owners of the T26E4 SuperPershing, who purchased the vehicle prior to the changes, will have the opportunity to sell it for the full retail price in Gold (7,200).

Anton668

so I managed to get a number of games in with the update between trying to get mods working and whatever they did it seems to be working for me at least. Already have a handful of topguns :)

ibc8yM44DF5T8U.jpg

iblmFscHPlQ2Ei.png

antonz

German TD line is a lot of fun. Though its upper tiers have suffered a bit with the power creep. Jagdtiger has suffered the most versus what it once was. Jagdpanther II is a lot of fun though

Hellix

I didn't really like the Hellcat that much. It was frustrating to play at times, but I loved the T49. I read the T25/2 was terrible, so I don't know if I want to continue that line.

antonz

I didn't really like the Hellcat that much. It was frustrating to play at times, but I loved the T49. I read the T25/2 was terrible, so I don't know if I want to continue that line.

T25/2 is kind of bothering me because its armor upgrade is obviously worthless when its facing tier 8s etc and it doesn't get the gun upgrade the T25 does with the 105.

I will say this the hellcat does have a few issues. Like going downhill too fast and hitting a small bump and going airborne only to hit the ground and break your tracks

Hellix

Holy moly this is cracking me up! Sorry if posted already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7fH4-hGrY

I recently picked up the T49 TD and have never had more fun in a tank. I'm quadrupled up on camo and troll tiny tiers from miles away. It's the perfect tank to relax in.

Can I expect the same from the Hellcat?

That was pretty cool, lol.

Yeah, the T49 is great fun. I didn't feel the same way about the Hellcat though. Maybe because it is a tier higher.

Anton668

Hellcats are a mixed bag. Good gun, shit armour as a trade off for a turret. Granted due to that its quick!

All in all it was ok. It wasnt a painful grind to where I couldnt wait to get out of it like some other tanks I had the misfortune of suffering through. But it wasnt a keeper in my opinion. Though they are popular in medium tank companys.

The T49 is amazing. I love this tank, hit and run. I can pepper targets from behind a good bush and not get spotted.

The Hellcat, I'm less familiar with, I only have about 80 games in it. It's pretty good too, I find I have trouble penning from further distances in general, and I'm constantly low-tier in that tank, at least 7/10 times.

Anyways, I made another quick video, some funny, 'lol' clips from 8.5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53u7Bemjp8 if you dudes are interested.

antonz

The hellcat is great imo but the next tier is where the issue. You basically repeat the hellcat again with 90mm gun and some extra armor but you lose a ton of speed and the armor is useless.

Big issue because as Hellcat you are already facing Tier 8 tanks so to go up to tier 7 and still have the same 90mm gun is not so great. The T25 at least gets the 105mm T25/2 is just the 90mm

DarkFlow

Banned
Looking to get into more mp gaming. Hows the community for this game? Is it newcomer friendly?
It can be kind of frustrating at first while you learn what to do. Take slow, don't just charge in and watch what others do and you'll pick it up.

Hellix

Just had my best game ever. Feels good man. Btw, is there a GAF company that I can join?

Looking to get into more mp gaming. Hows the community for this game? Is it newcomer friendly?

If you guys mean a clan, I don't believe there is one for GAF. It costs 2500 gold to make one, so it is a bit pricey. If anyone wants to go ahead and create one for GAF, I wouldn't mind joining. However, this OT is fairly quiet outside of a few posters, so I do not know how many would actually join. Plus, the few people that do post here are probably already in a clan.

But if you mean tank company battles, it probably is hard to get people on at the same time without having to wait for randoms to join.

As for being newcomer friendly, I would say it is. Through the first five tiers or so, you have plenty of time to learn the game mechanics, how different types of tanks are played, and strategies for various maps. Patience is important in this game, so if you just run out in the open right at the beginning of the match and immediately die by 8 enemy tanks, you will probably get shit from your team. If people with XVM see their team has a poor chance of winning, they may say it is a noob team or some other crap, but no one is going to call individual people out if you have less than 1k games played. Matches are so short that it is hard to be up in arms over bad players, since people will just go back to their garage and start another game.

Anton668

Newcomer friendly? No. But We are here to help! lol
The game has kind of a steep learning curve as there really isnt much in game to teach you whats what and what roles tanks are supposed to fill. The game is much more than point gun at tank, fire, hope for the best. But it really doesnt tell you that anywhere. Also different classes of tanks fill different roles. Again, the game makes no mention of this.

Spend some quality time on the wiki, specifically battle mechanics, spotting/camo, match making(I so hate fail platoons!). Look up weak spots for tanks that give you problems(though wont really take effect till later levels).

Also, this is not COD! Run and gun solo rambo shit will get you killed really quick. But on the other end of it, hiding in the back till your team is up 14 - 1 will get you calls for you to uninstall the game. If your on the NA East server add me in game, Anton668 and we can platoon and I'll help you best I can.

If you guys mean a clan, I don't believe there is one for GAF. It costs 2500 gold to make one, so it is a bit pricey. If anyone wants to go ahead and create one for GAF, I wouldn't mind joining. However, this OT is fairly quiet outside of a few posters, so I do not know how many would actually join. Plus, the few people that do post here are probably already in a clan.

Yeah, not really many of us here and some are already in Clans. But again, I will offer up an invite to anyone who wants to join our clan - Banzai Institute for Advanced Armored Warfare. We take most all comers. Voice comms are required and the first rule on our list is "Dont be a dick"

Anton668

Changes from Public v8.6 to v8.7 Test

Added the new branch of SPGs for the British tech tree:
Loyd Gun Carriage (tier II)
Birch Gun (tier III)
Sexton II (tier IV)
Bishop (tier V)
Crusader 5.5-in. SP (tier VI)
FV304 (tier VII)
FV208 (tier VIII)
FV3805 (tier IX)
Conqueror Gun Carriage (tier X)

Just in time to enjoy the arty nerf!

Added the new Soviet light tank MT-25 (tier VI) to replace the T-50-2 (full details for T-50-2 owners to be provided at update's release)
Rebalanced the T-50 tank (full list of changes to be provided at update's release)

Well this could be interesting....

Scirrocco

Just had my best game ever. Feels good man. Btw, is there a GAF company that I can join?

If you're looking for a decent clan, the Reddit clans are active, mature, and skilled. I'm a member of Rdtt2 myself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldoftanks

They do a few community events every now and then (ELC races and all artie matches) and tank companies are common since you can pull players from all Reddit clans (theres over 10).

The game has kind of a steep learning curve as there really isnt much in game to teach you whats what and what roles tanks are supposed to fill. The game is much more than point gun at tank, fire, hope for the best. But it really doesnt tell you that anywhere. Also different classes of tanks fill different roles. Again, the game makes no mention of this.

Spend some quality time on the wiki, specifically battle mechanics, spotting/camo, match making(I so hate fail platoons!). Look up weak spots for tanks that give you problems(though wont really take effect till later levels).

Also, this is not COD! Run and gun solo rambo shit will get you killed really quick. But on the other end of it, hiding in the back till your team is up 14 - 1 will get you calls for you to uninstall the game. If your on the NA East server add me in game, Anton668 and we can platoon and I'll help you best I can.

All good advice. Patience is key. If you need more help knowing where to shoot, there are hit skin mods which you weakpoints on tanks on tanks in game, just don't post screenshots of you using them, or you'll get mocked. But their useful for learning at least. Even WG employees have been known to use them.

Also don't be afraid of mods. Their simple to do, easy to remove, and can make the game a bit easier, and lots more fun (especially voice packs to change the in game voice, the standard one is terrible)

Anton668

Also don't be afraid of mods. Their simple to do, easy to remove, and can make the game a bit easier, and lots more fun (especially voice packs to change the in game voice, the standard one is terrible)

speaking of...

Also if you want to check out some different Hit Skins...
weakspots

Weakspot Guide: weak spot guides

hom3land

"

Added you.. username hom3land

Really enjoying the game though, I have a feeling the game i'm playing and those that have higher level tanks and are in teams are playing a completely different game.

Never underestimate the Matilda Black Prince!

I've had so many KV-1s roll up to my face thinking they can eat me alive only to have shell after shell bounce while I pick away at their weak spots.

Has anyone tried the Excelsior?

Hellix

Faced an Excelsior in my T-25, and I was unable to penetrate its front. Seems like it a tier 5 Black Prince.

Anton668

NA East Login Issue (login hangs at "Synchronizing equipment and consumables")

Hello tankers,

We are aware of the NA East login issue and are working to fix it as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience; it couldn't have happened at a worse time with the events running at the moment, and we're deeply sorry for it.

Our support team has found a workaround for this that is allowing some players to login. It requires closing the game client and flushing your DNS, then attempting to login again.

For additional information, please review the Knowledge Base article here: https://support.worl...nnection-issues

If this does not work for you, please contact our customer support team here: https://support.worl...nks.com/Default

I wouldnt bother flushing the DNS as many said it didnt work for them. When I had a problem I just kept closing the program and restarting till it worked.

Top Bottom