• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

Anton668

Platooooooooon.

The amount of difference even one non window licker on your team makes is astounding. Even when you lose you do much better.

Also what.garage is.that?

oh for sure. though not too many clanmates on at 3 in the morning.......
the garage is from here http://wotcn.duowan.com/list/%E8%BD%A6%E5%BA%93%E6%8F%92%E4%BB%B6

I haven't been following the news of the new German TD line. Which vehicle branches off into the new line?

Marder
kwAdMCh.jpg

PBalfredo

Oh wow, that's a lot of new TDs. I was expecting a few to branch out of the StuG III at most. Thoughts on the new vehicles?

Anton668

glass cannon snipers that do ginormous amounts of damage with hella pen. just dont ever get spotted! lol

the tier 10, although on a E100 chassis, only has 20pts turret armour. and that turret.. 360 rotation(360 on the tier 9 as well).
Sl6HhAk.jpg

the rest.....

some vids......
World of Tanks - Patch 8.9 Preview
World of Tanks - Patch 8.9 Preview - Marder II and Marder38t
World of Tanks - Patch 8.9 test Server - The Flak Bus!
World of Tanks - Patch 8.9 Test Server - The Nashorn
World of Tanks || Waffentrager auf E-100
World of Tanks || Waffentrager auf Pz. 4

J-Rzez

The new German TDs are good fun. Pure support tanks due to their lack or armor. Their guns are their saving grace. Instead of typing out full names;

Tier 4: meh.
Tier 5: Great gun. Its gun elevation rivals arty lol. That's because it was a mobile AA unit mostly. Its not historically correct due to the side plating staying up at all times. If you stay hidden you'll rock ppl. Spotted, they won't miss you due to its barn like profile. It is shockingly fast.
Tier 6: good, solid TD. Great gun handling and ROF. Good mobility. Will rival the hellcat as top dog TD for tier.
Tier 7: slow as hell. Great gun depression. Hard hitting gun with low ammo count. Great pen.
Tier 8: great profile. Great camo. Great choice of guns. The 150 lacks accuracy and pen, but if you fling heat who cares. Full rotational turret. Pen on the 150 sucks, but hey, can't expect for a German tank to have a gun that rivals the last remaining bastion of soviet bias, the BL-10.
Tier 9: great guns, good mobility... Good tank overall.
Tier 10:. This is it. The fabled "zomg killed a maus in 10seconds!" machine. Long ass reload and nonexistent armor makes this thing tough to handle in pubs without a platoon. But it possesses a 6-round mag 128 with .29acc and a 1.5/sec aimtime. This is the ultimate sniper tank. Its 100 tons but is surprisingly mobile. Great view range as well, as its needed. Thing has awful camo and is spotted out at 400m.

Good selection of tanks overall. Will be fun to tinker with until War Thunder gets their tanks out.

PBalfredo

Any word on how is the Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai? A new tier V premium sounds pretty tempting as I love my Excelsior.

EDIT: Oh ho ho! Very first game with the T7 Combat Car. I love that it's listed in-battle as just "T7 Car"

nj7blZz.jpg

AmyS

Now this is a game I'd love to be able to get on PS4 especially if it were full native 1080p @ 60 frames. I don't have a gaming PC and I'd want a higher fidelity experience than what my Xbox 360 can offer. Tank gameplay in Call of Duty and Battlefield are good fun but I'm craving a good tank simulator.

Anton668

well, the 360 got WoT beta. so at one point it may end up on the xbone.
the PS4 has warthunder which will be getting tanks at some point. they should be beta testing on pc soon.
*waits for beta invite*

Now this is a game I'd love to be able to get on PS4 especially if it were full native 1080p @ 60 frames. I don't have a gaming PC and I'd want a higher fidelity experience than what my Xbox 360 can offer. Tank gameplay in Call of Duty and Battlefield are good fun but I'm craving a good tank simulator.

well, the 360 got WoT beta. so at one point it may end up on the xbone.
the PS4 has warthunder which will be getting tanks at some point. they should be beta testing on pc soon.
*waits for beta invite*

aww yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKBRxYiOyH4

PBalfredo

Started playing the Japanese line. I enjoy the Chi Nu Kai premium, so I'm going to stick with it, but man, some of those early Japanese guns have no punch.

PBalfredo

Knowing what it was like the first time around in the Chinese Chi-Ha, I dropped free XP to jump to the Chi-Ha's top gun and not have to play around with the feeble 29 pen stock peashooter.

CoolOff

Finally got my account, so I can join the (seemingly small) group of GAF-tankers!

EU-player, 15k games and hovering around 1600 WN7, deputy commander in one of the largest community-clans on the server.

Currently enjoying a tank-vacation after burning out hard after the CW-campaign!

The OP needs an update (for the Japanese tree). Other than that, I am quite excited for Historical Battles. In fact, I appear to have single-handedly collected every German tank for the first batch of battles!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've been watching a twitch stream, this game looks really fun. Not many people play it on gaf? Is there a better tank game out there or something?

If there is I haven't heard of it...

War Thunder's tanks look pretty lame tbh. It's like going back to WoT three years ago.

If there is I haven't heard of it...

War Thunder's tanks look pretty lame tbh. It's like going back to WoT three years ago.

On top of that, their tech trees aren't exactly reasonable (and it even has what the War Thunder community likes to call "fake tanks")

On a World of Tanks note, I decided to get myself a certain Cold War-era Taiwanese light tank. I hear that if you liked the old T-50-2, this is a good place to look if you don't like the MT-25. (I personally never had the T-50-2. In fact, as an arty and heavy tank player, I even found them pretty annoying!)

To be honest, I am liking what I am seeing from the closed beta footage of WT.

In what way? From what I hear, War Thunder has less feedback on how much you're damaging an enemy, fewer vehicles, and less logical tech trees (I still cannot figure out why they're ending with a paper-only Tiger II and a never-completed Panther). World of Tanks, on the other hand, has a better physics system (no accidentally flipping allies just by pushing them), and will very soon take away the graphical and historical edges from War Thunder (Historical Battles will be implemented at some point within the next few months as a new game mode that restricts what vehicles, modules, and ammunition loadouts players can use, and, unlike what I hear War Thunder will do with its tanks, it will give more vehicles to the side that has the weaker vehicles, such as facing 20 or 30 T-34s against 5 Tigers; throughout 2014, World of Tanks will get an HD upgrade for its tanks, and certain physics upgrades such as destructible environments, the jack-in-the-box effect for ammo rack detonations, and the ability to fully flip a tank beyond the some 60 degree or so limit in place now).

...Unless you mean the new German TDs when you say WT. In that case, they're already in World of Tanks.

Anton668

I've been watching a twitch stream, this game looks really fun. Not many people play it on gaf? Is there a better tank game out there or something?

A) not really it seems. a lot of the Gaffers that were playing seem to have given up for awhile(not that were a ton of us to begin with)

B) not a very popular game from a NA server point of view. On a good night there may be 50Kish ppl on. The EU server on the other hand has like 100K on a slow night and the russian server... pretty much anyone with a internet connection over there plays.

A) not really it seems. a lot of the Gaffers that were playing seem to have given up for awhile(not that were a ton of us to begin with)

B) not a very popular game from a NA server point of view. On a good night there may be 50Kish ppl on. The EU server on the other hand has like 100K on a slow night and the russian server... pretty much anyone with a internet connection over there plays.

I believe it was said at one point that one in every three people in Russia at least has a World of Tanks account. Russians absolutely love tanks, especially since that's how they fought World War II. The US mainly fought via planes and ships, so it seems as though games on those subjects have faster-growing player bases here.

DarkFlow

Banned

I like to play it in chunks. I'll get really into it for a week or so, buy a prem account and go crazy. Then I remember how much of a grind it is, and I start to get bored it. I've got one line up to T9, the American Turret TD and now I realize that unless I always have prem, it's a damn money sink, cause I lose money most the time even with Prem.

Hellix

In what way? From what I hear, War Thunder has less feedback on how much you're damaging an enemy, fewer vehicles, and less logical tech trees (I still cannot figure out why they're ending with a paper-only Tiger II and a never-completed Panther). World of Tanks, on the other hand, has a better physics system (no accidentally flipping allies just by pushing them), and will very soon take away the graphical and historical edges from War Thunder (Historical Battles will be implemented at some point within the next few months as a new game mode that restricts what vehicles, modules, and ammunition loadouts players can use, and, unlike what I hear War Thunder will do with its tanks, it will give more vehicles to the side that has the weaker vehicles, such as facing 20 or 30 T-34s against 5 Tigers; throughout 2014, World of Tanks will get an HD upgrade for its tanks, and certain physics upgrades such as destructible environments, the jack-in-the-box effect for ammo rack detonations, and the ability to fully flip a tank beyond the some 60 degree or so limit in place now).

...Unless you mean the new German TDs when you say WT. In that case, they're already in World of Tanks.

It is still in the early phases of closed beta, so having fewer vehicles is to be expected when compared to a game that has been out for 3 years. WoT obviously has the advantage when it comes to the tank tree composition, but I am liking the few gameplay clips I have seen of the actual gameplay in WT.

WoT offers only an arcade-style experience, which explains why it appears to have a better feedback mechanism when damaging enemies. From what I understand, WT offers both an arcade-style and simulation-style mode, which changes the gameplay quite a bit. Also, the spotting mechanics are a big improvement in WT, whereas WoT you have to deal with invisible tanks.

Grinding seems to be totally different as well, where I read you grind a nation rather than a tank line.

Graphics you can debate on either side which is better (or will be better). The important thing is neither game looks like it came from 2004, so it doesn't really bother me.

It's still early in WT's development, so it isn't perfect. I am sure WoT wasn't as great in its early days too (since I started 1-2 years after it was out of beta). Competition should bring us a better product in the end.

I like to play it in chunks. I'll get really into it for a week or so, buy a prem account and go crazy. Then I remember how much of a grind it is, and I start to get bored it. I've got one line up to T9, the American Turret TD and now I realize that unless I always have prem, it's a damn money sink, cause I lose money most the time even with Prem.

Even with premium, you often lose money at Tier IX and X. It's a way of keeping people who rose to the top from staying at the top 100% of the time. It's recommended that you keep a Tier V or so on-hand so that you can get some guaranteed money as you need it.

It is still in the early phases of closed beta, so having fewer vehicles is to be expected when compared to a game that has been out for 3 years. WoT obviously has the advantage when it comes to the tank tree composition, but I am liking the few gameplay clips I have seen of the actual gameplay in WT.

WoT offers only an arcade-style experience, which explains why it appears to have a better feedback mechanism when damaging enemies. From what I understand, WT offers both an arcade-style and simulation-style mode, which changes the gameplay quite a bit. Also, the spotting mechanics are a big improvement in WT, whereas WoT you have to deal with invisible tanks.

Grinding seems to be totally different as well, where I read you grind a nation rather than a tank line.

Graphics you can debate on either side which is better (or will be better). The important thing is neither game looks like it came from 2004, so it doesn't really bother me.

It's still early in WT's development, so it isn't perfect. I am sure WoT wasn't as great in its early days too (since I started 1-2 years after it was out of beta). Competition should bring us a better product in the end.

Indeed, a lot can come down to personal choice. I personally actually prefer going by line instead of by nation, especially when the game includes prototypes, because you get to see how each vehicle developed: what worked, what didn't, and how they decided to change their designs as the war progressed.

Also, I like World of Tanks' spotting system, because it prevents the activity you see in certain other online shooters where someone edits the client files to make all of the backgrounds a translucent white and the enemies bright red so that they can spot them more easily than the developers intended, etc.

When does World of Warships come out. That's the one I want to really play.

The closed alpha is underway. They're hoping to have a shorter testing period than World of Warplanes (and with the polish currently on World of Warships, that seems like it could easily turn out to be the case). I've been following this game really closely....

Hellix

Even with premium, you often lose money at Tier IX and X. It's a way of keeping people who rose to the top from staying at the top 100% of the time. It's recommended that you keep a Tier V or so on-hand so that you can get some guaranteed money as you need it.

Or think about getting a premium tank for credit-grinding. Their discount packages aren't always glamorous though... I bought a SU-100Y with gold from one of those monthly events, and it's been all I really needed. Also fun to do 700 damage in one shot at tier 6.

Also, I like World of Tanks' spotting system, because it prevents the activity you see in certain other online shooters where someone edits the client files to make all of the backgrounds a translucent white and the enemies bright red so that they can spot them more easily than the developers intended, etc.

Well, hopefully they have something in place to prevent that.

Or think about getting a premium tank for credit-grinding. Their discount packages aren't always glamorous though... I bought a SU-100Y with gold from one of those monthly events, and it's been all I really needed. Also fun to do 700 damage in one shot at tier 6.

I have a TOG II* at that tier. It's fun to get mocked at the start of the match, only to go on massive rampages once I actually reach the battle. You see, the gun is exceptionally good, but the armor is weak, yet it has a HP pool ordinarily reserved for a vehicle that's one or two tiers above it. Thus, it eats shells and deals damage at an alarming rate.

I actually find that my entire play style of preference is to be a semi-mobile bunker. That's why my first (and, for the time being, only) Tier X is the Maus.

Top Bottom