• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft is down to 6.8 million subs; Blizzard on the verge of sleet

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's a funny joke. A lot of people make funny jokes on-line.
I'm laughing. Laughing that there can't be a straight news post about something bad happening to Blizzard.

Shutting down the discussion of market trends hinted at by subscription loss with, "but they're still rich" is astoundingly immature.

Magnus

I kinda wanna resub just to try and finish the Brawler's Guild. When it first came out, I got up to Battletron before I hit a DPS wall. I'm assuming higher level gear than what I had when I quit is ridiculously easy to get now.

Oh fuck me. I forgot all about the Brawler's Guild! Was gear normalized in there a la CMs?

And what kind of rewards can be attained for doing well there?

Authority

Banned
yeah i figured that one out a few years ago

For those that do not know why I said that.

Blizzard used to be THE Blizzard. What do I mean by saying that?

Blizzard was known for redefining genres. We are not talking simply about enhanced products of previous products. We are talking about making products that would define a generation. That is how creative Blizzard was back then. It is hard to explain you exactly how much brand value its name was back then but it was phenomenal and I think justified too. Unless I am rose-glass-tinting or whatever you call it.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I'm laughing. Laughing that there can't be a straight news post about something bad happening to Blizzard.

Shutting down the discussion of market trends hinted at by subscription loss with, "but they're still rich" is astoundingly immature.

Hey, it works for Nintendo discussions...

WoW needs to go f2p man. I won't pay for it anymore, I've spent too much money on that game to continue. It's fun and all, but I have other games that are f2p and provide more enjoyment to me to go pay $15 for Wow.

Kade

It's as joke, I'm pretty sure.

Whether it's funny or not is up for debate.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty dumb.

Armaros

Every year people ask for Vanilla servers and every year Blizz says it will never happen.

They can barely handle the current servers + patching and developing for the current versions of WoW.

Just imagine trying to maintain different Era WoWs and all the separate servers you need.

Nothing would get done.

DSN2K

can see it iump back up to 10m with the new addon....think WoW is a well oiled machine what will survive from the occasional kick start that blizzard provides.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Can someone explain to me how Blizzard's games sell 15 million copies (Diablo 3), they have a 10 year old game that is still printing money for them, Hearthstone is making them tons of money but they're still "on the verge of bankruptcy"? What the hell is this madness? How, is what I want to know.

Edit: Nevermind.... Apparently a "joke" topic title. Oh man so funny.

Stupid title change. When looking at the topic list I'm not supposed to go through all topics and find out whether each topic's title comes from a joke or not.

I don't think they will get back as many subs as they usually get during expansion launch. Blizzard getting greedy with the $50 tag whereas previously they were $40.

Wouldn't Guild Wars 2 be insanely close to current WoW numbers now that it's available in China? Didn't it sell like... 3.8 million or something?

Final Fantasy XIV already has over two million and is set to launch in China later this year too. I expect that'll drive up numbers pretty high.
That 3.8 million wasn't an official number. The number is actually the number of estimated characters that have been created or something to that effect.

Arenanet had to clarify it a few weeks ago.

FFXIV might have sold two million but that is not the same has having 2 million active players. the 6.8 million wow subs are for active players not copies sold. Also I doubt it sold 2 million copies.

Ultratech

Every year people ask for Vanilla servers and every year Blizz says it will never happen.

I like how a lot people yearn for Vanilla, yet fail to realize just how messed up stuff was.

They'd prolly play it for a few weeks and stop playing because it lacks the conveniences of modern WoW.

Especially once you hit raid content and try and gear up 40 people when bosses maybe dropped 3-4 pieces of gear at best.

Oh fuck me. I forgot all about the Brawler's Guild! Was gear normalized in there a la CMs?

And what kind of rewards can be attained for doing well there?

Gear's not normalized, so higher-level gear can make a lot of fights easier, but you still have to adhere to mechanics on quite a few of them.

Only notable rewards are:
-A Title (Brawler)
-A mount (fairly cheap)
-Heirloom Claws
-A LOT of shirts. Seriously.
-Bragging rights

I like how a lot people yearn for Vanilla, yet fail to realize just how messed up stuff was.

They'd prolly play it for a few weeks and stop playing because it lacks the conveniences of modern WoW.

Especially once you hit raid content and try and gear up 40 people when bosses maybe dropped 3-4 pieces of gear at best.

IEZd7Hf.png

An increasing number of my friends are dropping sub the second they hit some personal milestone in game then find something else to do with their time. This has taken them less and less time to do since Cataclysm launched. I doubt WoD will do much to combat this behavior, so the subs will never come back up to Wrath levels, let alone the heyday of TBC. Still, here's hoping the game lasts long enough for me to find out what happened to several pivotal, surviving lore characters we've interacted with since Warcraft III.

Still pretty good since there hasn't been a worthy update in ages. I just got Bis for all gear and our raid finally downed heroic garrosh. Time to coast until the next expansion.

But mists was a surprisingly great expansion. Leagues better than cataclysm.

crusnik

Neo Member
I just re-subbed for the first time since Wrath and I love all the changes they made to the old content. It's made leveling new characters extremely fun.

Instro

No fun allowed.

Yes, it was called Burning Crusade. But alas, we are in the era of the smartphone, mmmmmmmmmmobas, and gamer bribery, so it can hardly be a solution to this sickness.
I'm trying to remember for sure, but I thought Burning Crusade had a lot of reputation and grinding. I am pretty tired, might just be misunderstanding.

As an aside, I really like how WoW works, mechanic wise. Sure, I enjoyed the old system more but I enjoyed what was going on when I quit last year. If I had the time and money, I'd still play.

I'm trying to remember for sure, but I thought Burning Crusade had a lot of reputation and grinding. I am pretty tired, might just be misunderstanding.

It did, and those not bound to a raid instance were tied to extremely tedious item grinds (Aldor/Scryer), specific dungeons that the playerbase hated (Shadow Labyrinth) or tedious daily questing (Netherwing, Shattered Sun Offensive).

TBC also introduced the madness that is badge grinding (now known as Valor/Justice farming). It got gobbled up back then since it was superior to farming resist gear and putting up with vanilla raids but a lot of the tedium that is offensive to players as of Cata/Mists has its roots firmly planted in Burning Crusade, level 70 content.

Goon Boon

Banned
They're still making boatloads of money, but people need to remember two major things :

-Losing 3 million subs or 30% of your playerbase in just under two years isn't a laughing matter.

-How many people are paying full subscription price? Last I checked, brazil and several other south american countries pay less than half the normal sub fee, and China pays per hour (I think roughly 7 cents an hour, or $5~ for 72 hours) which means casual Chinese players are paying a lot less. So a good number aren't paying the full amount per month.

If you look at the financial model with the investor information you'll beable to see what a fudge that 6.8million figure truely is.

in the financials their income for WoW is $201million and thats for a quarter so thats, 67million a month, if all those players took out the cheapest options to buy their subscription (the 6 months model) they'd be paying 12.99.

divide the 67million by 12.99, and that gives the revenue value for only 5.16million subscribers. and when you figure in that revenue adds in all "Value added services" such as name changes, level ups, pets, mounts etc. full value paying subscribers are even less then that.

So yeah its a number thats bumped up by the far east and counting someone with $1 worth of game time on their game card/account in the same bucket as a Western guy putting in $12 a month.

Of course everyone would kill for those numbers, revenue wise but they aint what they claim subscriber numbers-wise.

Looking at the revenue though it does show that their revenue is not down(from a coupel of quarters back when revenue was 194, 181 and 201) despite the lowest subscriber numbers since vanilla, you gotta think that the cash shop and the level up to 90 is really helping make up for subs leaving, makes me think they'll become more prevelent.

Also this, their subs will be back up to 10million theory is nonsense, the last time an expansion pack was out they only went up 900k before dropping, they might hit 8million again, but i wouldnt put my money on it.

I do love the Ghostcrawler blaming graphic in the OP!

Won

Good bye, Blizzard!

Bit annoyed that MoP had to take all the loses. I enjoyed the lore behind it.

Let's see if Orcs can fix it. Everybody loves Orcs!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Certainly not a surprise subs are down a bit, myself and everyone I played with in Mists is currently unsubbed while waiting for WoD. 5.4 Is going to end up the longest final expansion patch in the game's history after it was originally supposed to be the shortest, so yeah. Lots of Folks are done (for now)

I can't get enough of people who actually blame subscriber drops on GC or any other specific person/development. Such myopic, confirmation biased nonsense.

Armaros

Anyone thinking WoD is going to shoot WoW back to 9-10 million subs are fooling themselves.

WoW has more competition then ever now and it's not mainly from MMOs.

League and Dota have taken a huge part of the PvP centric combat with RPG elements crowd away. And those games require a huge investment in time , not unlike WoW. Many of them will not come back to WoW for anything really.

Leb

We can't really be surprised that Blizzard is in dire financial straits -- Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft are probably the two most widely-pirated games in the history of IBM-compatible personal computer gaming.

Top Bottom