• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft is down to 6.8 million subs; Blizzard on the verge of sleet

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You'll have to wait until their RTS team is done making Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void. They've got too much on their plate as it is.

But....but I don't care about either of those. Just make the game I want and don't make games I don't want. That's a very sensible request!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
People seriously need to remember how things truly were. First mount at level 40, overpriced epic ground mount, painfully slow normal flying mounts (when epic flying mounts were unattainable for majority of the playerbase). Both dropping mount levels and increasing speed of normal flying mounts were great.

There maybe were some questionable changes but come on, a lot of quality-of-life changes made over years were a godsend. Besides, subs would drop anyway no matter what Blizz did, the game is 10 years old.

That was the thing though. Back at release, getting your first mount, or your epic mount, just felt SO GOD DAMN GOOD. It was an accomplishment. I remember saving up for my mount and when I finally got it, I was king of the world.

Many people have hit upon what turned WoW from what it was (great) to what it is (less great), but I really do think flying mounts were a mistake.

Authority

Banned
The sub loss has nothing to do with the lolcompetition and everything to do with the game and blizzard themselves.

WoW has lost over 3 million players in the gap between Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor.

What exactly is a lolcompetition? Care to elaborate? World of Warcraft from 12m now it has lost almost half. So where did that 6m go? They got lost in space? Went sky diving in the Himalayas? Or are they secretly praying for WoW vanila to happen again?

World of Warcraft is bleeding because it has nothing left to offer while at the same time more MMOrpgs are here and more are coming next year. It is not a hard concept. There is nothing great about WoW in 2014. Some will still play it out of loyalty or because the market has not done enough to attract them

If you think they are going to maintain this number keep dreaming.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There is nothing great about WoW in 2014.

I might agree with this, but I'd also say there is nothing great about the MMO genre itself in 2014. Every "next big thing" has been pretty lackluster. Plenty of games have appealing aspects and fun parts, but nothing has really come close to being "the next WOW" in terms of success, popularity, or influence.

Authority

Banned
I might agree with this, but I'd also say there is nothing great about the MMO genre itself in 2014. Every "next big thing" has been pretty lackluster. Plenty of games have appealing aspects and fun parts, but nothing has really come close to being "the next WOW" in terms of success, popularity, or influence.

See I never said there is something great or greater. And not sure if you have noticed how I approach MMOrpgs, but I always make an effort to be careful with my words so they don't backfire.

So let us be honest, for the standards that you would expect an MMOrpg to have in 2014 we have none. That is because the MMOrpg genre's evolution or progress as a whole was never guaranteed to move into one direction of self-enhancing itself. At best it is a mindfuck or a clusterfuck, whatever "fuck" you prefer to call the state of this scene. What is calling close to the "dream" or to have for once one MMOrpg complete in all senses and relevant to modern times, is Star Citizen.

Well that is what I think.

CassSept

That was the thing though. Back at release, getting your first mount, or your epic mount, just felt SO GOD DAMN GOOD. It was an accomplishment. I remember saving up for my mount and when I finally got it, I was king of the world.

Many people have hit upon what turned WoW from what it was (great) to what it is (less great), but I really do think flying mounts were a mistake.

Eh, maybe I was the weird one, when I finally got my first mount it was more AT LAST... wait, you want me to pay HOW MUCH. And then going in-debt through the rest of leveling process.

Sooooooo much runecloth spent leveling my UC rep as a troll so my first epic mount would be the skeletal warhorse. Totally worth it though. I miss the challenge and the skill of vanilla and TBC. I completely missed WotLK though. I came back during Cata and was blown away and how "noob friendly" it had become.

Ill still go back when WoD hits though. Its fun and I really don't want to start new MMO and get sucked in. At least with WoW, my time investment remains. I do enjoy having a fleet of mounts. EQN might grab. We will have to see how it is monetized.

Silvawuff

I started playing late BC, and loved everything about it. I quit around late Cata. I think the game hit its decline around the end of WotLK when we started getting year+ long content gaps.

I would not be surprised to see WoW's subscriber base continue to shrink, but I think we'll still have a dedicated player base, even after another 10 years.

sobaka770

Banned

Rolled a paladin. Did the whole epic mount quest-line. Felt like the BOSS.

Now everybody has everything, but that was bound to happen to make the game even more appealing to masses. All that the best players get now is better number on Gear and fashion items, nothing groundbreakingly awesome. Then again, I quit playing a long time ago.

Top Bottom