• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Dictators Transformed Into Moe Girls in Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
What? Why should they be made into little girls? What good reason is there for that?

Not saying they should, but there isn't much of a reason why they shouldn't. Of course this approach panders to the male demographic, but really there is no problem with it. I know girls who are super obsessed with this stuff because they related to this peppy kawaii caricatures (not these specifically I should add)

injurai

Banned
Even though i've seen the word all over the interwebs, I never knew what the term moe was until today.

WHY

Just another trope. It really is the worst of anime, unless the story revolving around the characters has been appropriatly developed to have a character act like that.

You have to realize 2 things. 1 kawaii has been a "thing" in japan for a long time now and Moe is just the new iteration of that idea. 2 You girls act this wait to be cute, possibly because they emulate these shows, but the shows are also depicting Japanese children.

A lot of this is misunderstood by westerers who either are perturbed by it, or fetishize it.

How could they forget history's greatest monster?

LRtYT.jpg

cajunator

Banned
SOmething I think people don't really understand though about this sort of thing is that it is extremely niche. As in it sells to a tiny handful of people. Probably about 5-10,000 copies in a country over 100 million. Anime in general is actually really niche outside of huge productions like Miyazaki films or One Piece. Manga is a bit more popular though. This sort of thing in particular will appeal to the same tiny group of otakus who buy all the other moe stuff. Its not a huge number, and it doesn't represent Japan's majority. That said, I can understand how it would seem weird, because it kind of is, but its for a small amount of people who are into this kind of thing. Most Japanese citzens are probably as disgusted by it as some of you are.

Not saying they should, but there isn't much of a reason why they shouldn't. Of course this approach panders to the male demographic, but really there is no problem with it.

I think its problematic to take the worst people in modern history and sanitize them this way. Not everything is suitable material for shitty fan service.

SOmething I think people don't really understand though about this sort of thing is that it is extremely niche. As in it sells to a tiny handful of people. Probably about 5-10,000 copies in a country over 100 million. Anime in general is actually really niche outside of huge productions like Miyazaki films or One Piece. Manga is a bit more popular though. This sort of thing in particular will appeal to the same tiny group of otakus who buy all the other moe stuff. Its not a huge number, and it doesn't represent Japan's majority. That said, I can understand how it would seem weird, because it kind of is, but its for a small amount of people who are into this kind of thing. Most Japanese citzens are probably as disgusted by it as some of you are.

Agreed, this doesn't get mentioned enough.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because it's tasteless and wrong? Because making light of what these genocidal maniacs did is doing everyone a great disservice?

Dude it's a book to inform a general audience about history. These need to exist. And like everything else in Japan, they put anime characters on it.

But frankly even if it was just for entertainment, I wouldn't care either.

Busaiku

I thought this was done multiple times already.
Seriously, it feels like they're doing this every 3 months or something.

Because it's tasteless and wrong? Because making light of what these genocidal maniacs did is doing everyone a great disservice?

This shit is educational.

You want to complain about tasteless entertainment in Japan, complain about the guro manga based on a true story about a girl getting raped and murdered.

Jintor

This moe talk reminds me of that Moe Alan Moore comic that also had a Moe Neil Gaiman

I would really have liked to see the full comic of that, though I think the Moe Neil Gaiman thing was just part of a 'teaser' page for a non-existant second comic

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I legitimately don't understand how people are actually offended over this.

I don't really have any difficulty understanding how people could be offended by it, personally. Some of the despots portrayed in the book are recent enough to have had a direct negative impact on the lives of people living today who fall within the sort of age demographics a publication like this would target. Hell, Omar al-Bashir is the president of Sudan to this day and is the first acting head of state ever to be indicted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. There are people seeking to be granted refugee status to get out of Sudan to this day in order to get away from him. Gadaffi's only been dead for a year. Pol Pot was deposed in 1979 but only died in the late '90s. There are people alive right now who have direct experience with the dictators portrayed in the book, and I have my doubts that many of them would be particularly chuffed to see them rendered as cute little girls.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Someone make a moe version of Hiroshima and let's see how Japanese people react
The name escapes me right now, but there's a hentai manga out there that ends up with the protagonist going back in time to Hiroshima when it bombs... strangely, George Bush is the one unloading the nuke.

cajunator

Banned
I don't really have any difficulty understanding how people could be offended by it, personally. Some of the despots portrayed in the book are recent enough to have had a direct negative impact on the lives of people living today who fall within the sort of age demographics a publication like this would target. Hell, Omar al-Bashir is the president of Sudan to this day and is the first acting head of state ever to be indicted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. There are people seeking to be granted refugee status to get out of Sudan to this day in order to get away from him. Gadaffi's only been dead for a year. Pol Pot was deposed in 1979 but only died in the late '90s. There are people alive right now who have direct experience with the dictators portrayed in the book, and I have my doubts that many of them would be particularly chuffed to see them rendered as cute little girls.

Someone made moe buildings once and the WTC was one of them and she had bandaids.
Some people just dont give a fuck and will render anything.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Someone made moe buildings once and the WTC was one of them and she had bandaids.
Some people just dont give a fuck and will render anything.

Naturally. Controversial art of any stripe is hardly anything new, but that's pretty tangential to the question that was posed, about how anyone could actually be offended by pictures of dictators as cutesy, fetishized cartoon girls.

I'm not personally offended by the book, nor am I offended by similarly anthropomorphized portrayals of the World Trade Center, but the question of how anyone could be offended by them is one with a pretty straightforward answer.

rpmurphy

People should read this:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

After all these years in Japan, I can honestly say that animation (major studio productions notwithstanding) is still mainly considered kids' stuff. There is shockingly little anime on television, and most of it is unapologetically meant for children. The only adults who really get into it (referred to as otaku) are usually perceived by the media as overweight, unwashed weirdos who are probably child molesters. Sound familiar? You're bound to spend just as much time hiding your Trigun DVDs from company here as you would anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom