• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's oldest Quran fragments found; dating back to the founding of Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

I'd like to see what is lost up in the vatican archives.
Lots of great texts from antiquity have been found there. I think part of the reason we have so much literature from the Romans is the Catholic church and their use of Latin.

Nozem

Ex-Muslim here. This is definitely an interesting discovery, but the Quran (I say this having read it twice in both Arabic and English) is a somewhat unsatisfying text for something that has apparently come directly from the creator of the universe. Some questionable verses:

Well yeah, 1400 year old book contains 1400 year old morals. No surprise there.

Still a really cool find though.

Edzi

Ex-Muslim here. This is definitely an interesting discovery, but the Quran (I say this having read it twice in both Arabic and English) is a somewhat unsatisfying text for something that has apparently come directly from the creator of the universe. Some questionable verses:

4:34
"Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

9:29
"Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled."

24:2
"The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty of sexual intercourse - lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allah , if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment."

2:282
"O you who have believed, when you contract a debt for a specified term, write it down. And let a scribe write [it] between you in justice. Let no scribe refuse to write as Allah has taught him. So let him write and let the one who has the obligation dictate. And let him fear Allah , his Lord, and not leave anything out of it. But if the one who has the obligation is of limited understanding or weak or unable to dictate himself, then let his guardian dictate in justice. And bring to witness two witnesses from among your men. And if there are not two men [available], then a man and two women from those whom you accept as witnesses - so that if one of the women errs, then the other can remind her. And let not the witnesses refuse when they are called upon. And do not be [too] weary to write it, whether it is small or large, for its [specified] term. That is more just in the sight of Allah and stronger as evidence and more likely to prevent doubt between you, except when it is an immediate transaction which you conduct among yourselves. For [then] there is no blame upon you if you do not write it. And take witnesses when you conclude a contract. Let no scribe be harmed or any witness. For if you do so, indeed, it is [grave] disobedience in you. And fear Allah . And Allah teaches you. And Allah is Knowing of all things."

Cool. Now what does this have to do with the discovery?

I'm an atheist but a history nut

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL

No, but seriously, this is an interesting and really significant find. Old books were so beautiful, and arabic is imo the most beautiful script there is.

Ironically, if it wasn't for the priest we wouldn't have been able to acquire such an old piece of the Qur'an. I wonder where exactly he got it from. Maybe the other parts are still out there although I doubt it.
As others have said this is off topic but how would you come close to understanding the Qur'an by just reading it four times and I'm guessing without any tafsir?
It's criminal that these documents sat there for decades without no one knowing of their existence.

Every Museum/Library/Research Institute should go through all their old unsorted shit and see what's there.

I bet so many other lost treasures are sitting there, begging to be rediscovered :/
Yea I can imagine everyone is now going through their old archives searching for any hidden gems. Would be awesome if more discoveries like this happened.

shira

Wow.
charm_facepalm.gif

braves01

Banned
I should note that they dated the parchment only, and not the ink. So there's a possibility the parchment was re-used and the writing was added later. Still though...

braves01

Banned
Why would you use 100 year old parchment though?

I'm no expert, but I imagine availability of parchment might have made reusing parchment easier and cheaper than making new stuff to write on. I don't even know how they'd go about dating the ink though, since it's possible not all of it was even written at the same time. I bet they do a thorough hand-writing analysis and study the hell out of this Quran regardless. It's a possible crisis of faith for Islam.

nynt9

I'm no expert, but I imagine availability of parchment might have made reusing parchment easier and cheaper than making new stuff to write on. I don't even know how they'd go about dating the ink though, since it's possible not all of it was even written at the same time. I bet they do a thorough hand-writing analysis and study the hell out of this Quran regardless. It's a possible crisis of faith for Islam.

I mean, carbon dating that shows the world is older than 6000 years never phased creationists so I don't think this will phase anyone.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I doubt it, they will probably find a way to dismiss it.

Facts don't matter when it comes to faith.. so no, nothing will change except for maybe people who already questioned their faith and are on the verge of leaving the religion

This pretty much.

I have family members who reject evolution, despite the fact there's a lot of evidence supporting it.

RiZ III

Common practice to use older parchment. Even today I might use a notebook I bought ten years ago. Also, the view doesn't really make sense considering the Quran was originally oral and the prophet and his earliest followers were illiterate. The surahs contained in the parchment are long continuous surahs which flow extremely well. If someone was just taking random pieces of writing from here and there and putting it together, you wouldn't get any kind of flow. For anyone to accept this, they'd have to be completely unfamiliar with Quranic text.

Using older parchment at a time of when the followers were not the wealthiest of people makes sense seeing as the time of when the 3rd caliph Uthman was rounding up canonical pages there were a bunch of written verses by the companions who memorized it,written on anything they could find like shaved animal bone....

It is more likely this conclusion then a notion of collecting random scripts of old that they like (from a bunch of works) and tossing the written bits together since that would be a gigantic grammatical mess and even harder to make it flow and connect/reference each other in different chapters. I mean that option itself sounds like a gigantic struggle and would be a accomplishment in itself.

Hexa

Using older parchment at a time of when the followers were not the wealthiest of people makes sense seeing as the time of when the 3rd caliph Uthman was rounding up canonical pages there were a bunch of written verses by the companions who memorized it,written on anything they could find like shaved animal bone....

It is more likely this conclusion then a notion of collecting random scripts of old that they like (from a bunch of works) and tossing the written bits together since that would be a gigantic grammatical mess and even harder to make it flow and connect/reference each other in different chapters. I mean that option itself sounds like a gigantic struggle and would be a accomplishment in itself.

Plus the Quran talks about situations as they occur and about Muhammad pbuh a good amount. The argument is completely asinine.

nynt9

Plus the Quran talks about situations as they occur and about Muhammad pbuh a good amount. The argument is completely asinine.

It can be both. It could be an old text that was appended with extra narrative to fit the context of the events happening. We can't know for sure either way until the scientists perform more tests. Arguments from the text aren't really relevant here as facts will eventually prevail.

Nerokis

I might be overlooking something in the article, missing some crucial context about carbon dating or something, but does the possible time range not cover Muhammad's lifespan? The article is framed to emphasize that carbon dating shows it could have been written before Muhammad was born, but it seems to me it could have also been written after his death...no?

Strange article. I don't think the information is new, just the framing.

Valhelm

contribute something

Wow. Then again, the Arabian Peninsula was essentially a religious shopping mall with about a dozen known religious groups interacting with each other. Unless the Qur'an was written over an older parchment, I wouldn't be surprised if Muhammad co-opted a well-known text to promote his own cause.

Hell, maybe Muhammad actually found a text like this in the desert!

nynt9

I might be overlooking something in the article, missing some crucial context about carbon dating or something, but does the possible time range not cover Muhammad's lifespan? The article is framed to emphasize that carbon dating shows it could have been written before Muhammad was born, but it seems to me it could have also been written after his death...no?

Within this short of a time frame, carbon dating is generally quite accurate. It gets less accurate when you look before 60,000 years.

LQX

Birmingham library suggests that the book was produced between 568 and 645 A.D., said scientists at the University of Oxford, but Islamic scholars generally believe Muhammad lived between 570 and 632 A.D.
With the carbon dating not being 100% accurate, and scholars not being 100% when Muhammad was born, why then raise this theory knowing the fallout it may cause? I can understand if the carbon dating showed the book was like a century or more older than Muhammad but a decade or two when the accuracy of both dates is still up in the air? Seems like they just want to stir shit up.

I should note that they dated the parchment only, and not the ink. So there's a possibility the parchment was re-used and the writing was added later. Still though...

This seems odd if they want to find out when the fragments were actually written.

With the carbon dating not being 100% accurate, and scholars not being 100% when Muhammad was born, why then raise this theory knowing the fallout it may cause? I can understated if the carbon dating showed the book was like a century or more older than Muhammad but a decade or two when the accuracy of both dates is still up in the air? Seems like they just want to stir shit up.

Agreed ... equally odd.

RiZ III

This article implies that this parchment is one of the original sources of the Quran and it predates Muhammad and therefore Muhammad obviously just stole text wholesale and glued it together to form the Quran. Ok, so let's look at the actual text from the parchment.

1. Ta, Ha.

2. We have not sent down to you the Qur’an that you be distressed

3. But only as a reminder for those who fear [ Allah ] –

4. A revelation from He who created the earth and highest heavens,

5. The Most Merciful (rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty).

6. To Him belongs what is in the heavens and what is on the earth and what is between them and what is under the soil.

7. And if you speak aloud – then indeed, He knows the secret and what is [even] more hidden.

8. Allah – there is no deity except Him. To Him belong the best names.

9. And has the story of Moses reached you [o Muhammad]? –

10. When he saw a fire and said to his family, “Stay here; indeed, I have perceived a fire; perhaps I can bring you a torch or find at the fire some guidance.”

11. And when he came to it, he was called, “O Moses,

12. Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.

13. And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you].

The first part is addressed directly to the Prophet. What the article is implying makes absolutely no sense.

It can be both. It could be an old text that was appended with extra narrative to fit the context of the events happening. We can't know for sure either way until the scientists perform more tests. Arguments from the text aren't really relevant here as facts will eventually prevail.
the assumption that they're trying to present is multiple text stitched together to serve a political narrative.... even if later events are added it still leaves the hole in the theory of trying to rhythmically connect it together

So you know standard basic Arabic is basically influenced by this book? Trying to rearrange things, add things and rhythmically connect things all while having solid grammar would be a ton of effort compared to starting from scratch. I mean doing something like that would require him to be highly skilled in writing.

Then there is the lack of reference of ever hearing about a similar script or scripts before that time which would be really hard to contain. Especially at the time of their persecution when they had no power at all.

yes the range is still there it is just that the parchment could be older then Muhammad's prime time or even before his birth... Like stated in my previous post there are a ton of speculation one can make of this. The article just goes for one the most unlikely with age of the parchment being it's only supporting pillar.

It is more trying to make a thrilling headline rather then actually creating a solid theory.

Complete and utterly wrong. This story is sourced from Daily Mail, which basically extrapolates the carbon dating into a misleading headline. The parchment is cdated to be anywhere from 568 AD onwards. Muhammad was born in 570. Zomg, Quran before Muhammad! Here is some insight from reddit into this:

megadongs6h73
A lot wrong with this article, and from the standpoint of a student of history and not just a Muslim.

For one, the "shake the foundations of Islam" quote is from Tom Holland, who holds a degree in english and decided he's qualified to write books about history for consumption by laymen. He's also a known islamophobe who produced a movie about "alternative" origins of Islam, which basically boils down to "we don't have Mohammeds birth certificate so therefore he wasn't born in Mecca". You ever see new atheists claim that Jesus pbuh never existed because nobody wrote anything about him while he was alive even though every historian in the field agrees that there is sufficient evidence to establish that a preacher named Jesus did in fact exist when and where the Christian account claims and that we have more evidence for this than we do for the existence of Alexander? Same thing here.

It's not just his Islamic history that's crap either. Years ago, before I came to Islam I had the displeasure of coming into contact with his book Rubicon, which might be the single worst book about the late Roman republic ever written. Here is /r/badhistory's takedown of the book.

He's also not involved with the Quran manuscript at Birmingham in any way. The author just threw a quote from him in for shits and giggles.

So basically, the main thrust of the article is that carbon dating has proved that the animal whos skin was used to write on was alive at the same time as the Prophet (pbuh). That's it. Take away the clickbait title and quote from bunk islamophobic "historian" and that's all this article really says.
And
Dopple_Deaner5h17
If the pages are produced between 568 AD and 654 AD, and the Prophet (SAW) is born in 570 AD and died in 632 AD, then it stands to reason that the parchment was produced within his lifetime.

This would be kind of like discovering that the steel beams within Sears/Willis tower were smelted in 1925, then arguing that the architect Fazlur Rahman Khan could not have designed the Willis Tower because the material contained inside the final construction existed before he was born.

One more
717h*****************

Comment

Vaas_Vey5h22
I'm a non-Muslim, but if you do some reading beyond the article then you will discover some more background information. The first thing to be wary of is that this is the Daily Mail. As someone who lives in the UK, the Daily Mail is a bastion of hate, ignorance and bigotry. It revels in running anti-immigrant, anti-Islam stories and they like nothing more than to peddle the 'poor old Englishman' stories, 'immigrants are invading us' etc. Make of the Daily Mail what you will.

With that in mind, it's no wonder that this article and it's headline appear thus far in only the Daily Mail. As another posted stated, I find it a little strange but not unsurprising that they would ask Tom Holland about it. Here is the Wikipedia page on him where it details a controversial documentary he wrote and presented called Islam: The Untold Story which cast doubts about the early authenticity of claims to Muhammad and his birthplace. Surely to a man like that this alleged discovery is a religious gold mine of documentary and future, possibly paid, input on the subject by himself.

The first thing that comes to my mind when reading about the dating is the things that some posters in this thread have also discussed, which is that just because the age of the material used dates back to a certain time, it does not necessarily mean that the written verses do either. I am completely unfamiliar with carbon-dating and I don't have the interest or time to read pages detailing the carbon-dating process. This article gives the opinion of some "historians and manuscript experts" who say the same about doubts regarding the dating.

I will say one thing, which is that @megadongs said that Rubicon was a terrible history book, but it did win an award, for whatever that is worth.

Nerokis

Within this short of a time frame, carbon dating is generally quite accurate. It gets less accurate when you look before 60,000 years.

I know. But this paragraph...

Carbon dating of a fragment from a Koran stored at a Birmingham library suggests that the book was produced between 568 and 645 A.D., said scientists at the University of Oxford, but Islamic scholars generally believe Muhammad lived between 570 and 632 A.D.

...shows that the fragment could have easily been written at any point of Muhammad's life, or even after his death. These are the same dates the original article in the OP gave us, but framed to emphasize a "what-if" scenario where the fragment was made earlier on in the possible time range. Just an odd article overall.

This story is sourced from Daily Mail

... Oh.

The anti Islam theory of saying Muhammad and co wrote the Quran via influence of other Abrahamic religions and/or the Caliphs conspired and wrote their own book is more creditable then this theory grabbing old text and adding it together like a Jigsaw puzzle.

Plus the fact that this theory is created via a parchment being overly old without any other underlining forms of evidence is reaching without more investigation and or other evidential points to back it up. That and the chapter that this parchment contains even makes the theory less creditable.... The theorist should've actually done their research before jumping the gun.

Islamophobes are going to cling to anything that can negate Islam. Lets say Carbon dating has a range which this does. Islam formed within that range. the most early or the most latest are also possible, scientifically speaking. the earliest support the notion by orientalists that Muhammad (saw) learnt Quran from some previous texts, they will also support the notion that Quran was made up after Muhammad (saw) but they will never cling to the idea that maybe, possibly, miraculously that as the text timeframe is within what Muslims view as when the text was revealed, that it could be possible, because they will only cling to ideas that discredit, never to the idea that or even possibility that even if they don't believe in revelation, that Muhammad (saw) told this to his followers from his own mind, they wont even believe that if the other possibilities exist (because those discredits it more)

You are seeing examples of this clinging here as well and on twitter. Anything....anything to discredit even if logically, the other notion makes equal sense.

Here is the thought process when looking a tthe range

predates Islam = "Amazing discovery, this shows someone taught muhammad, forget the rest of the range"
during Islam = "who cares"
Post Islam "Amazing discovery, this shows someone made up the Quran, forget the previous range"

A muslim would look at the entire range while an ideologue orientalist critic would only be ignore the range and cling to extremities

Complete and utterly wrong. This story is sourced from Daily Mail, which basically extrapolates the carbon dating into a misleading headline. The parchment is cdated to be anywhere from 568 AD onwards. Muhammad was born in 570. Zomg, Quran before Muhammad! Here is some insight from reddit into this:

And

One more

Great post, definitely gives some context before people jump the gun and start making assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom