• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst brand "advertisement" ever (Rovio / Angry Birds)

Electric Brain

Neo Member
For me, I can't help but feel just a little revolted that they made a reskin of someone else's flash game, got popular, and are riding that wave while being arrogant as hell about it and acting like they're personally crushing the traditional portable gaming industry.

That said, I've played the game a little, it's not bad, but it is what it is - a time waster. I actually think the advent calendar thing they've got going now is kinda cool though.

You are wrong that it's a just a reskin.

Certainly it's built upon the same game concept, and has even the same powerups (and shame on Rovio if they don't acknowledge the obvious influence), but the physics are different, and the destructible blocks add significantly to the strategy of the game. That is not arguable.

Also, it has to be said that graphics, controls, and styling that adds to broad appeal is also worthwhile.

Also, that dress is shameful. I get that it's about showing off your brand, but it really has no taste in that kind of affair.

I doubt he'd ever say that, considering how AB has already considerably outsold the Pokemon franchise.

You think so? I guarantee you that Pokemon has generated at least 20x more revenue than Angry Birds has. And that's being generous, probably more like 50x.

Not sure 'outsold' is the right term to use.

Alrus

I doubt he'd ever say that, considering how AB has already considerably outsold the Pokemon franchise.

Yeah now lets talk about the thing that really matters, revenue. Comparing AB to any of the big gaming franchises is nonsensical.

Haters gonna hate, I suppose.

This has nothing to do with thinking the game is bad (well, I think it is). But going to a formal event with such a tacky dress is shameful and tasteless.

Azure J

Man, I saw this thread when it first went up and didn't bother to click on it until now... This shit is fucking hilarious and I did myself a disservice not checking in before. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ilcQu0KVWKS0j.gif

Today is the Finnish Independence Day and like usual the President hosted a celebration for politicians, big-time achievers and all sorts of good-doers in the Presidential Palace in our fair capital.

Well among the many hundreds of invited people was the CEO of Rovio, the creators of Angry Birds, and his wife.

Here's what she wore:

vester_etu_lj.jpg

I feel so ashamed and sorry for her and for anyone affiliated with him.

Haha that was such a dumb move! I couldnt believe it either. Later he was interviewed with Olli Rehn one of the most powerful men in EU and he was used to promote their sorry little game as well.

Adam J.

I think I dress is pretty cool. I Seriuously doubt a lot of people there even "got" that it's an Angry Birds dress.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On one hand I don't like Angry Birds. On the other hand, I don't like hypocritical gamers condemning a brand because "it doesn't suit their tastes". Somehow I want AB to succeed so much just to make gamers cry.

Lunchbox

Banned
saw some hideous looking shirts and merch at the mall

wonder what goes through someones head when they buy that shit. im gonna look super cute in that? part of an elite group of angry bird players? this is getting worse than twilight

saw some hideous looking shirts and merch at the mall

wonder what goes through someones head when they buy that shit. im gonna look super cute in that? part of an elite group of angry bird players? this is getting worse than twilight
Do they know it's from a game?

I'm not sure what's going on with this picture... it looks fake to me for some reason. I don't mean like photoshop or something, but it seems like a capture from a soap opera or similar. Not sure why, the other pictures look quite normal.

Anyway, not a huge fan of the game but the guy did amazing things for his company and now here he is in a tux meeting the leader of his country... good for him, I say. If my game made me scandalously rich, hell I'd wear it in dress form too ;)

Mik2121

What? When it comes to units, sure. But Angry Birds' 'sold units' include free versions, and tons of extras and crap. Plus the game is like $.99 or so, and the average Pokemon game is more like above $30...

Edit: Scratch what I said before (I edited it out). I'm fine with Angry Birds selling this much. I mean, thankfully the industry isn't going that path (otherwise I would quit it). Even I got the game, though I only played it for about an hour before deleting it off my iPhone. But what bothers me is the CEO being such a douche. Comparing his crappy characters (they don't have all that much of a personality, other than being.. well, angry) to famous characters like Mario and Mickey is just stupid.

Truespeed

The joke is on us. This was a viral advertising move executed to perfection. Well played, Rovio, well played...

They do look well dressed together, though.

vXhqD.png

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah now lets talk about the thing that really matters, revenue. Comparing AB to any of the big gaming franchises is nonsensical.

To be fair, the ROI for Angry Birds is probably better than just about any other gaming franchise.

Must... resist... avatar quoting.

Ummm, I know where the previous poster is coming from - it's not manly to cling to the remnants of your hair, quite opposite, plus it makes you look funny. Just shave the damn hair, everyone knows you are getting bald anyway.

zoukka

Ummm, I know where the previous poster is coming from - it's not manly to cling to the remnants of your hair, quite opposite, plus it makes you look funny. Just shave the damn hair, everyone knows you are getting bald anyway.

That's like... you know... subjective? (just like Gabe's Tarzan hairdo) Besides this is Finland. Everyone's ugly and we aren't afraid to show it.

Top Bottom