• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkarafo

These people

ghostbusters-2016-625x324.png

nkarafo

Let us be clear here, standing there are some of the most successful comedians in recent years. No, the actresses are definitely not the problem
So you are saying all the actors mentioned in this thread are supposed to be bad or unsuccessful?

Good actors can still be miscast. Also, i don't know how good these particular comedians are in other movies. In this particular one they were terrible.

massoluk

Banned
So you are saying all the actors mentioned in this thread are supposed to be bad or unsuccessful?

Good actors can still be miscast. Also, i don't know how good these particular comedians are in other movies. In this particular one they were terrible.
They acted fine, their delivery were fine. The jokes fed to them were horribad

LifEndz

IMO, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy being awful had nothing to do with the actor and everything to do with the writing. He actually even resembles Theon a bit, but when the writing for the character is that bad there's not much anyone could've done with it.

A worse casting choice in the Greyjoy family was Asha (Yara) Greyjoy. She looks and acts almost nothing like her book character.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I never bought Don Cheadle as War Machine. He really feels out of space. Too bad, he's a good actor, but miscast he is.

Don-Cheadle-as-Rhodey-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg

I agree with this.

Also, not a movie, but whoever they cast as the new MacGyver sucks.

Chuckie

Yeah, this choice was really, REALLY bad. They should have had at a look at Admiral Tarkins (Peter Cushing) perfomance (and looks) in IV, THAT's how the most important Military Leader of an evil empire has to look like.

That is Grand Moff Tarkin to you sir!

Yeah, he's not very compelling.

Anthony Mackie would make a great War Machine (obviously not possible), or an actor of his charisma because he gives Falcon a lot of character and plays off of Evans so well. They seem like true friends.

I don't really buy the MCU Stark/Rhodey relationship, despite Cheadle being very talented.

It worked with Howard in the role. Such a shame he was an ass.

Most of the human cast of Warcraft was just awful. I don't buy Travis Fimmel as a fantasy general, Dominic Cooper as a king, Paula Patton as the half-orc, Ben Foster as the Guardian. Ironically, I thought the young guy as the inexperienced mage was okay, which a lot of people seemed to take issue with.

Fimmel I don't think is a very good actor as he has a very poor range, and doesn't seem to be able to emote much beyond a fairly pained, drug-addled expression.

Cooper I think is fine as a more cocksure confident character, but I don't think he has the gravitas to try and seem kingly. Didn't feel right in the role at all.

Patton doesn't have a lot of range either, and I thought she was way too hot to be half-orc considering how beastly the other CGI orcs were.

I like Ben Foster usually, but I felt like a learned and experienced mage should have been a bit older and seemed more wise. He just played this one as though he was vacant and bored.

I actually thought Toby Kebbel as the main orc (Doritan?) was fantastic, and seemed to show much more range and emotion than any of the human characters. His orc best friend was also really great; just ironic that Duncan Jones got shit performances out of most of the human cast.

rtcn63

Once again, I wasn't saying that Lex was bad casting. It was in response to people's dislike of Eisenberg, like, how did you all feel about Smallville Lex?

(I was a fan for the record)

CaptainABAB

IMO, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy being awful had nothing to do with the actor and everything to do with the writing. He actually even resembles Theon a bit, but when the writing for the character is that bad there's not much anyone could've done with it.

A worse casting choice in the Greyjoy family was Asha (Yara) Greyjoy. She looks and acts almost nothing like her book character.

My issue with Euron is that I expected someone that looked very tough & menacing - Pilou just "looks" soft - nevermind the problems with the writing on top of it.

No.

There is another.

january-jones-emma-frost-x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

She's got the look, but that's it. I think I would've preferred Alice Eve as Emma. She was attached to play the role prior to January getting the part. At least, aside from looking the party, Alice would've been less... wooden.

He was a little too annoying.

Look at the hairstyle and remember how stupid the whole late 80s/early 90s "cool tude" was and how every kid ate the shit up like it was the definitive end-all of coolness. And eventually that would skyrocket to "EXTREME" everything!!! I grew up during that time(was a teen) and while I have some nostalgia for the 90s, some of that was just painful to look back at. Furlong's John was pretty much that annoying 90s kid, through in through.

Surfinn

I really don't think there's anything that tops boy or teen Anakin honestly. Though I would argue that Jake is much worse than Hayden.

Speevy

Banned

I'm going to answer this response and possibly open up a firestorm of controversy by stating that many of you are operating under a false assumption.

My impression is that actors, particularly ones that aren't like the most well known in the world must audtion for parts.

Then on the strength of those audition, someone calls them back to read again or because they have the part.

So someone makes a decision who is not the actor.

Casey Affleck just won best actor at the Golden Globes. He would not make a good Tywin Lannister. This is obviously not his fault.

But just because an actor isn't at fault doesn't make something a good casting choice.

"No one could have made that garbage good." also doesn't work. People make garbage good all the time. that also doesn't make them the best choice for roles.

Steve Buscemi played a great small time criminal in the movie Fargo. I also loved his performance as a pathetic loner in Ghost World. I thought his performance was rather underwhelming in Boardwalk Empire, and he had tons of material to work with over 5 seasons.

This isn't about assigning blame to actors specifically, but about assigning blame to choices. Someone made a choice and it resulted in an actor playing a role. What followed was what it was, and it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom