• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy, Game of Thrones

euron-game-of-thrones.jpg

This man is a murderous but also mysterious character with dark motivations, supposedly in line with the worst villain one could possibly imagine. And keep in mind this show has had some truly sadistic fuckers.

But what we get is Theon's drunk uncle who apparently equates building ships on a a deforested island with the ultimate power play. He has no menace and comes across as one of the blandest villains in the show's run. Alfie Allen himself could have probably played a better Euron.

I don't see how this is the actors fault. The writers decided to take Euron and instead of making him this mysterious threat, they decided to make him "just some guy".

Eiolon

I think The departed was Jacks last good performance. I really loved him in it.

Matt Daemon in Interstellar, Leonardo DiCaprio in Man in the Iron Mask, Tom Cruise the last samurai stand out for me

Nuclear scientists that look like playboy playmates is bad casting especially if you want the viewer to take her seriously.

They named her Christmas Jones, probably for the sole purpose of making a double entendre at the end. I don't think that era of Bond was meant to be take seriously.

99Luffy

Banned
Not the worst. But Tim Roth seems so out of place in The Incredible Hulk. They might as well have cast Simon Peg.

VZMfLjY.jpg

Helmholtz

Blows my mind that so many here like Moriarty. Dude's performance in Sherlock is so bad and cringeworthy. Hate the episodes that feature him. Hammiest performance I've seen in a while.

Nuclear scientists that look like playboy playmates is bad casting especially if you want the viewer to take her seriously.

Well, going by hollywood stereotypes, you would be right. Scientists can't possibly be as attractive as a playboy playmate, can't they? But if you think about it objectively is not really a valid criticism.

Gigglepoo

Well, going by hollywood stereotypes, you would be right. Scientists can't possibly be as attractive as a playboy playmate, can't they? But if you think about it objectively is not really a valid criticism.

How many real MI6 agents are as attractive as any of the Bond actors? Hollywood frequently casts actors and actresses better looking than their real-life counterparts.

jelly

How many real MI6 agents are as attractive as any of the Bond actors? Hollywood frequently casts actors and actresses better looking than their real-life counterparts.

Seduction was a very common tactic, probably quite a few hotties in real life.

Ogodei

I second this.

The twist with Watchmen, the fact that Ozymandias is 'evil', was totally spoiled because the actor looks evil as fuck. Hell it might have been better if they had got some bland white dude, Jai Courtney, to play him because at least the twist would be a bit of a surprise. Instead, as soon as Ozymandias came on screen I was like "well, that dude looks evil."

Same thing for Jack Nicolson in The Shining. Another candidate for bad casting.

That was Stephen King's objection to the Kubrick movie, he said Jack Torrence was supposed to be a normal man who went insane, the mere choice of Nicholson made him seem like a man with a precarious grip on sanity who went completely bonkers.

Not sure that was more a problem with the actor but the writing for the character and the direction he was given.

That probably applies to like 90% of the choices in this thread though. His two face was terrible. It felt like a bootleg Nicholson Joker. He was the wrong actor if they were going for an over the top Two Face.

Owen Wilson
Behind Enemy Lines

It's not just about how bad he was, but how completely unsuited he was for the role.

Spoiled what should have been an excellent movie.

Stop lyin. He was perfect for that role. His character is someone who acts like he shouldn't be taken seriously and the whole military is just one big game that he's bored of. Then he gets put through some real shit that tests him and shows he's a real soldier after all.

Tell that to this Canadian soldier who sounds almost exactly like him, particularly at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wQ0BXExYkg&t=23s

How have I not seen this?

A new challenger:
9957a6e3ca369612e1c682aaf900e4fd.jpg

The entire movie was a gigantic clusterfuck. The first one in my life where I went to the ticket office and demanded my money back.

-Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux.
General-Hux-590709.jpg

Yeah, this choice was really, REALLY bad. They should have had at a look at Admiral Tarkins (Peter Cushing) perfomance (and looks) in IV, THAT's how the most important Military Leader of an evil empire has to look like.

042312-akerman-watchmen.jpg

Whoever thought casting someone like Malin Akerman as Silk Specter 2 in Watchmen was smoking some strong shit. Her strongest acting gig was that shitty Ben Stiller movie the Heartbreak Kid.

Oh, that was hardly the worst casting choice in Watchmen:

Ozymandias in the Watchmen movie. Terrible casting choice.
ozymandias.jpg

This guy gets it.

On the flipside, casting Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian was almost too perfect:

7bfe235533e3596f41abe6ea6fec00a5.jpg

Maximus P

Jack Reacher.

Massive fan of the Lee Childs books and was excited to hear they were making a movie.

Jack Reacher is described in the novels as a mountain of a man.

Here is a quick description from Wikipedia

"He was one of the largest men she had ever seen outside the NFL. He was extremely tall, and extremely broad, and long-armed, and long-legged. The lawn chair was regular size, but it looked tiny under him. It was bent and crushed out of shape. His knuckles were nearly touching the ground. His neck was thick and his hands were the size of dinner plates...A wild man. But not really. Underneath everything else seemed strangely civilized....His gaze was both wise and appealing, both friendly and bleak, both frank and utterly cynical." [41]

Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest;

And who do they get to play him?

5671413b8223ff65bdeca0bf19c8679d1dbbef04cb402072ff3512829ace3b21.jpg

Tom Cruise. A guy famous for being short.

medrew

It feels more like people don't like the character here.

But it is kind of what Foggy is supposed to be.

no, everytime Foggy came on screen I felt like punching him in the face (the actor). My partner would scream out in frustration with him. It was better for us to give up on the show early on than endure any more of him. It's harsh, but he is someone that fits into that irrational hatred.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Bryan Cranston?

David Bateson as a serious Lex would be pretty good.

literally anyone

my 20 pound dog would have been better

Mark Strong

B9314896305Z.1_20141029181532_000+G268VJBG6.1-0.jpg

You guys are all thinking of a different character. Imagine any of those guys reading the same lines as Eisenberg and tell me they'd be noticeably better.

The casting wasn't the problem here, it was the writing and character. Eisenberg didn't show up on set and start acting crazy. He probably could have been a good Lex Luthor too.

This.

I mean, Venom is almost always portrayed as a brick shit-house:

latest

latest

latest

Topher Grace is probably the last person imaginable who would have fit this character. And the parts where he was supposed to sound crazy/insane just came off as whiny.

SM3 was awful, but the version of Brock they were going for was the version from the Ultimate Comics universe where Brock is just an sociopathic college kid a few years older than Peter with a normal physique. I thought Grace did a pretty convincing version of evil Peter Parker. But the movie was still shit.

Topher Grace was perfectly fine as Venom because he fit the idea that Eddie Brock/Venom was a darker version of Spiderman, of similar natural talents and ambition but without moral scruples and a drive to do good, which is what allowed Peter to resist the Symbiote while it completely consumed Brock. That was, in large part, the point of Spiderman 3 - that Peter was not perfect, and could be coaxed into a darker place while riding high on his own arrogance, but that he was capable of returning to his own fundamental goodness.

Or, you know, everything Prophet just said in a much more eloquent way than I ever could. Bravo.

Foreman as Venom is probably one of the worst.

And other than Alfred and Batman, every single character in BvS. Zack Snyder is a terrible director.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It was such a weird idea to show Anakin as a kid. They took the idea of showing his entire life way too literally.

Yeaah that's one of my biggest problems with the prequels is how weird it was seeing him 11 or so, with Padme, and then seeing him romantic with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom