• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fevaweva

Ozymandias in the Watchmen movie. Terrible casting choice.
ozymandias.jpg

I second this.

The twist with Watchmen, the fact that Ozymandias is 'evil', was totally spoiled because the actor looks evil as fuck. Hell it might have been better if they had got some bland white dude, Jai Courtney, to play him because at least the twist would be a bit of a surprise. Instead, as soon as Ozymandias came on screen I was like "well, that dude looks evil."

Same thing for Jack Nicolson in The Shining. Another candidate for bad casting.

kurahador

You could make the argument that she's actually a good fit as the film is rather bad overall. ;) In hindsight I'm glad that Saoirse Ronan didn't land the role.

Didn't she rejected an offer from Marvel Studios? Weird she's trying to get into superhero movies now.

Kimaka

James Franco as a scientist in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Unpopular opinion time.

Emma Watson as Hermione Granger. She was fine in the first three films, but after that, she pretty much stopped being Hermione and became "Emma Watson, phoning it in."

Yeah, also this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't she rejected an offer from Marvel Studios? Weird she's trying to get into superhero movies now.

Nah, that's false. She addressed the rumour a few weeks later at TIFF:

Her response isn't exactly to the point, however I'd say the language and reluctance to provide concrete details practically confirms that she auditioned but didn't get far into the selection process (e.g. she confirmed that she passed on a [secondary] role in The Hobbit, which Jackson wrote for her, due to potential scheduling issues). My guess is that the rumour began as a misunderstanding of Whedon's comment that she was the "prototype" he had in mind when envisioning the character. Similarly, the rumour that she auditioned for Sue Storm in the Fantastic Four reboot is also inaccurate -- it never happened.

Bold One

Totally Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Absolutely terrible casting choice. Leto and Eisenberg are miscasted but at least they're actual actors. Gal Gadot on the other hand is not even an actress, she's a model with zero range whose most relevant acting work is some irrelevant pretty girl "character" in some dumb car movies.

I don't even care that she doesn't look like the strong, imposing Wonder Woman portrayed in 90% of her stuff, the most important thing is that she's absolutely HORRIBLE at acting.

Embarrassing. The fact that the first movie portrayal of Wonder Woman was given by someone –100% sure it was Snyder– to this potato of an actress is infuriating. We're stuck now with some Miss with the acting range of a wooden table when there are plenty of actual actresses out there who would kill for being Wonder Woman, a character this person didn't even know she was doing the casting for.

It's quite ridiculous that every amazonian in the WW's movie trailers look like an actual hardened strong woman warrior and Wonder Woman herself looks like Taylor Swift in costume trying to make faces.

Damn....much shade

l6T3Uaa.gif

labx

Banned
Totally Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Absolutely terrible casting choice. Leto and Eisenberg are miscasted but at least they're actual actors. Gal Gadot on the other hand is not even an actress, she's a model with zero range whose most relevant acting work is some irrelevant pretty girl "character" in some dumb car movies.

I don't even care that she doesn't look like the strong, imposing Wonder Woman portrayed in 90% of her stuff, the most important thing is that she's absolutely HORRIBLE at acting.

Embarrassing. The fact that the first movie portrayal of Wonder Woman was given by someone –100% sure it was Snyder– to this potato of an actress is infuriating. We're stuck now with some Miss with the acting range of a wooden table when there are plenty of actual actresses out there who would kill for being Wonder Woman, a character this person didn't even know she was doing the casting for.

It's quite ridiculous that every amazonian in the WW's movie trailers look like an actual hardened strong woman warrior and Wonder Woman herself looks like Taylor Swift in costume trying to make faces.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!

I was going to post this "actress" as a terrible cast choice for almost everything except from Fast and Furious because, she does not talk that much. She does the same role in all her roles. From Comedy to Action, same expressions, same faces, etc.

And only because she is beautiful, goddammit. "She is hot, that is only what matter the most"

Her range

Comedy

Drama

Ithil

Michael Gambon sure played a strange version of Dumbledore.

Also, Ryan Gossling is super charming and good looking but doesn't have the song-and-dance chops to star in a musical. I still don't get why he's in La La Land.

Gambon was excellently cast, but oddly directed in several of the movies. He was ideal in the third and sixth films. Everyone was an overacting lunatic in Goblet of Fire, let's write that one off.

thefro

I never got the impression they were actually friends or had chemistry. I'm sure they could have faked it with better direction but it was still miscast even throwing out Lucas botching the script/phoning in the directing.

Basically it seems like Lucas wanted someone with the right look instead of getting someone that would have tons of chemistry with Natalie Portman & Ewan McGregor.

Hamill/Fisher/Ford all enjoyed working with each other and it was noticeable on screen. Same with Ridley/Boyega/Isaac in TFA. If you nail that in your casting it makes everything else that much easier.

A-V-B

I never liked Gambon as Dumbledore and always preferred Harris (RIP). Gambon just totally fucked up Dumbledore's character and while I'm not religiously devoted to the source material, his rough schoolmaster Dumbledore doesn't make sense as the loving and loved protector of Hogwarts.

This was a choice of Mike Newell in Goblet of Fire, not Gambon. Gambon plays Dumbledore how a director wants him to. And he was absolutely magnificent under Cuaron's direction.

The Beard

Same thing for Jack Nicolson in The Shining. Another candidate for bad casting.

Get out of here with that nonsense. The character was a man with suppressed demons. He wasn't suppose to be a choir boy turned evil. It was a perfect casting decision imo.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Wha? Foggy is fine. Matt's casting was the bad choice. He's lifeless.

This is madness. This guys is the worst actor on a popular television show. Dude FREQUENTLY sounds like he learned his lines phonetically. I would blame the direction if there weren't plenty of decent takes from other actors in every scene,

highrider

Banned
This is madness. This guys is the worst actor on a popular television show. Dude FREQUENTLY sounds like he learned his lines phonetically. I would blame the direction if there weren't plenty of decent takes from other actors in every scene,

At least he has a discernable personality.

CD'S BAR

Steve Buscemi as Tony Blundetto in Sopranos season 5. He didn't have the looks or demeanor to fit that role, a role which is well written. Still a good season but definitely the weakest of them all largely because of him.

Seems like they cast him just because he directed Pine Barrens in season 3 and maybe asked to be in the show as a character.

Halle Berry as Storm

She's awful. Should have gone to Angela Bassett

The 4 female leads in Ghostbusters remake.

If they picked different, it might have worked. Well, the script is fucked and too much CGI fuckery

Jonny Depp as Tonto. 2016/15 Jonny Depp is mostly just shite

Scarlet Jo as Motoko (Ghost in the Shell)

Re: Natalie Portman and what's his face from star wars OG trilogy,

Yes Hayden is terribly cast. He just looks annoying. Also Natalie Portman can act - nobody does well acting in a space that's all green screen all the time.

The Prequels are total shit

m_dorian

Leto and Gadot for their roles in the DCCU are examples of bad casting. Still, i expected better from Leto.
Eisenberg as Lex was badly directed. With a competent director (and script) (and editing) he could do it.

Also while i love the Groundhog Day movie i still can not understand why they cast a log as the romantic interest for Murray's character.

Fevaweva

Get out of here with that nonsense. The character was a man with suppressed demons. He wasn't suppose to be a choir boy turned evil. It was a perfect casting decision imo.

There's "suppressed demons" and there is someone who already looks like he is crazy before he even gets to the hotel. Jack Nicholson is a fantastic actor but he is a man who, when he was younger especially, looks like a crazy evil bastard. The man character's gradual descent into madness is supposed to be a bit of a surprise, at least that is what I came away with after I read the book.

I don't know who Kubrick should've cast in his place, mind.

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins. She was so fucking distracting and all wrong for it.

Maggie Gyllenhall in the sequel. They changed actresses so it was fucking distracting. (See also Mummy3 when Rachel Weisz was recast)

Denise Richards in The World is Not Enough.

So hot but a Nuclear Physicist she is not.

Theworldisnotenough_dr-christmas-jones_denise-richards.jpg

Never understood this criticism: can't nuclear physicist be sexy? Or there's more to that? (The misunderstanding may derive from the fact that I saw the movie in my native language, Italian, so perchance this is a case of the dub being better)

6b5f8a7f93f587ed793231239e8b3f15c625e41ee4c3414eba29630ac1b5740d.jpg

That's not Bones.

I disagree. I'd actually say most roles in the reboot series were re-cast well. Well, except Cumberbatch. Don't know if I'd say he's a worst casting choice there either. On one hand he's decent as generic baddie. On the other, he's Khan? Him?

Goney

Venom in Spiderman 3

latest

This.

I mean, Venom is almost always portrayed as a brick shit-house:

latest

latest

latest

Topher Grace is probably the last person imaginable who would have fit this character. And the parts where he was supposed to sound crazy/insane just came off as whiny.

Never understood this criticism: can't nuclear physicist be sexy? Or there's more to that? (The misunderstanding may derive from the fact that I saw the movie in my native language, Italian, so perchance this is a case of the dub being better)

Nuclear scientists that look like playboy playmates is bad casting especially if you want the viewer to take her seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom