• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

Most of you talked about Emilia Clarke but let's not forget Kit Harrington, they are two of the worst actors I've ever watched in my life. It's absolutely disgusting how Hollywood keeps pushing them down our throats just because they play important characters in GoT.

Nola

Alicia Witt on Law & Order Criminal Intent was so bad it made me angry.

latest

Halle Berry and James Marsden we're terrible in these films.

I actually liked Anna Paquin as Rogue but it always bothered me she never had a southern accent.

As for bad casting, I'll never forget how ridiculous Colin Farrel looked as Alexander with that blonde hair.

Huh? She absolutely had a light Southern drawl, at least in X1. Don't remember the others for sure.

The Beard

Cuba Gooding Jr as OJ Simpson in American Crime Story,He was great in the role, but I still think he was a miscast for OJ.

Looking and sounding absolutely nothing like the main character in a biopic is a bit of a problem for me as well.

It's like casting Michael Cera to play Babe Ruth.

Eliza Dushku as the main character in Dollhouse.

tPQerSS.jpg

Crazy hot but could not act to save her life. On the plus side the show brought to many viewers attention some absolutely fantastic side actors who have gone on to bigger and better things like Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman.

Movie wise yeah Terminator Genisys was the epitome of horrible casting, every single one besides Arnold did not belong in their roles.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Looks like I'm the first one to say:

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. It's like casting a rhesus monkey to play King Kong.

]Perhaps, but then I think you'll get a lot of people saying that they don't buy Van Damme or Yen as a reclusive, self-doubting, paranoid computer hacker.

I get what you're saying and there could have been a hundred different (potentially better) castings for Neo, but Keanu fit the role well enough to make it a decently enjoyable movie. Definitely not the worst cast.
Honestly I believe Van Damme has got range the pull off the nebbish character of neo in the first act.

Honestly I believe Van Damme has got range the pull off the nebbish character of neo in the first act.

Van Damme would've been awful in the role. Not to mention the Wachowski action scenes with REAL actors are better choreographed and shot than any Van Damme film and I grew up loving Van Damme.

Burt

I can't decide if I dislike Clooney Batman or Cage Ghost Rider more.

Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven

Ok maybe not the worst, but given the cast that surrounded him I felt he was way out of depth.

I know I'm like 400 hours late on this, but I watched the Director's Cut the other day and it totally makes his quiet, sullen performance make sense. His 'pump up the defenders' speech is still remarkably 'eh', but everything else really gelled much better.

The guy who played King Arthur in that cancelled series with Eva Green. So bad the show was cancelled because of it.

Oh man, and this made me go look at Eva Green's IMDB page and get depressed on how she only has 20 acting credits, with an incredible rate of "better than or the best part of the thing she's in"

kurahador

Tracy Spiridakos in Revolution tv series.
The show isn't that good, but good god her acting made it 10 times worse. Doesn't help she play this childish, reckless, rebellious teenager that for some reason always in the right in service to the story and her being the main character.

2nd season put her in the backseat often but I guess it was too late at that point.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Forrest in Rogue One. Dude was going to give himself a tummyache from all the scenery he was chewing.

cj_iwakura

042312-akerman-watchmen.jpg

Whoever thought casting someone like Malin Akerman as Silk Specter 2 in Watchmen was smoking some strong shit. Her strongest acting gig was that shitty Ben Stiller movie the Heartbreak Kid.

I wanted to like that movie, but god, she was TERRIBLE. Ozymandias, too.

Hell, arguably the only spot-on actors were Rorschach and The Comedian.

Surfinn

Winner.

Bad writing aside (and it's pretty impressive to write in such a way where even Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson come off crappy), Jake Lloyd's acting just made things far more unbearable. Like, if they'd plugged Haley Joel Osment in there, it would still be bad, but maybe it wouldn't be worse-than-Jar Jar bad.
I've known people in person who have said he is great in it.

This edgy "but it was the writing" shit needs to go. Yeah the writing was bad but the other auditions were actually pretty decent. The PT are a perfect storm of infamous shitiness but Jake pushed things into overdrive. He's the worst child actor I've seen in a blockbuster.

Horrifically miscast. Especially when you consider Lucas easily could have went with someone infinitely better.

Gigglepoo

Everyone else in the film is far more interesting than this blank slate of a character, although I think that's more the writing than anything else, since no one else has heard of this actress before.

No one had heard of Academy Award nominee Felicity Jones?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unpopular opinion time.

Emma Watson as Hermione Granger. She was fine in the first three films, but after that, she pretty much stopped being Hermione and became "Emma Watson, phoning it in."

Ozymandias in the Watchmen movie. Terrible casting choice.
ozymandias.jpg

He just stood out like a sore thumb. Everyone else in that film seemed to be cast to look like the comic character. Hell, Rorschach's therapist looked like the character from the comics. Everyone looked like the comic, except him.

Halle Berry and James Marsden we're terrible in these films.

I actually liked Anna Paquin as Rogue but it always bothered me she never had a southern accent.

As for bad casting, I'll never forget how ridiculous Colin Farrel looked as Alexander with that blonde hair.

As a Canadian, her accent sounded pretty southern to me. Not the exaggerated drawl of the 90s animated series, but definitely someone from a warmer climate.

I love Keanu as much as the next guy but An actor with a martial arts background would have a better choice, like Van Damme or
Donny Yen.

what..
as much as love those actors but no way they have the coolnes vibe like keanu

noe for my pick for worst casting is lex luthor guy in BvS
stupid..stupid decision

Apt101

Yea the Euron choice and Vince Vaughn in True' s2. Just terrible.

The Euron actor plays the role so not sinister or intelligent. Barely menacing. Almost cartoonish.

Vaughn was the least believable gangster I think I've ever seen on a TV show. Larry David pretending to play a gangster while pretending to be the parody of himself on Curb' was more believable.

Maybe (not so) controversial, the movie is still a masterpiece but a better actor for the role would make it even better.
barry-1456950512-726x388.jpg

Mmm, you know, I don't think so. This is one of my favorite movies of all time mostly because it is the prettiest thing I've ever seen on film, but definitely also because O'Neal pulls off sleazy hustler so well. I mean, on the surface, yeah, the casting seems absurd, but as it is, he turns in the performance of a lifetime. Kubrick made serious chicken salad out of O'Neal as an actor in that movie.

Halle Berry, James Marsden and Anna Paquin as Storm, Cyke and Rogue. So miscast. Especially when most of the others were so near perfect.

Halle, I agree with.

James Marsden is a better comedic actor than anything, but that character was written to be as milquetoast and uncharismatic as I thought Cyke was as a kid, so I don't know if different casting saves that part.

Anna Paquin is probably not the right casting for Rogue, but man, they fucked up a lot of the other casting too. Shawn Ashmore is a shitty Iceman (though I think Iceman is written to be boring as hell in those movies, too). Famke Janssen is a weird choice for Jean Grey.

I just caught The Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past for the first time on cable the other week, and it strikes me that except for Wolverine and older Professor X, I don't like the casting for pretty much any of the rest of the characters in these movies. Jennifer Lawrence is fucking dreadful as Mystique, and at this point, I think Winter's Bone is an outlier because I do not enjoy her at all whenever I see her on screen. For that matter, that's enough casting James McAvoy in parts where charisma is required. There's a reason that he's often cast as the dull everyman in movies where actors who are far more interesting than him carry the load (Wanted, The Last Station, The Last King of Scotland, etc.).

m9m7w8C.png

It's Gary Oldman in Tiptoes. It's a movie about the challenges that people with dwarfism face, and then they cast Gary Oldman as a dwarf and leave Peter Dinklage in a supporting role. His casting subverts everything else about the movie, turning it into a 2 hour sketch comedy bit at the expense of people with dwarfism. Gary Oldman looks absoludicrous in every frame of the movie, and they constantly have to hide half of him in couches, or out of frame.

Skux

Basically every film with a Game of Thrones cast member in it. They've been cast because of their star power rather than being able to fit the character, and it shows.

obin_gam

The worst part of the Star Wars prequels casting choices, is that you see right in front of you when they are casting young Anakin, another boy doing a so much better audition than Jake Lloyd. It's heartbreaking to see Lucas' inability to see what is good acting.
Just watch the blonde kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc

Nev

Banned
Totally Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Absolutely terrible casting choice. Leto and Eisenberg are miscasted but at least they're actual actors. Gal Gadot on the other hand is not even an actress, she's a model with zero range whose most relevant acting work is some irrelevant pretty girl "character" in some dumb car movies.

I don't even care that she doesn't look like the strong, imposing Wonder Woman portrayed in 90% of her stuff, the most important thing is that she's absolutely HORRIBLE at acting.

Embarrassing. The fact that the first movie portrayal of Wonder Woman was given by someone –100% sure it was Snyder– to this potato of an actress is infuriating. We're stuck now with some Miss with the acting range of a wooden table when there are plenty of actual actresses out there who would kill for being Wonder Woman, a character this person didn't even know she was doing the casting for.

It's quite ridiculous that every amazonian in the WW's movie trailers look like an actual hardened strong woman warrior and Wonder Woman herself looks like Taylor Swift in costume trying to make faces.

Skux

Any time they cast a white person to play an Asian. This has happened for decades, but more recently:

- Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell

- Emma Stone in Aloha

- Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange

- The whole cast of The Last Airbender

New002

I never bought Don Cheadle as War Machine. He really feels out of space. Too bad, he's a good actor, but miscast he is.

Don-Cheadle-as-Rhodey-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg

Man, Don Cheadle as War Machine always kills me. He's just not a good fit for the role at all. I think it's made worse by the fact that I think Terrence Howard was, and would have been, perfect as War Machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom