• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

BigMack

GillianSeed79 said:
This single jump contributed to a fear of going to hell growing up. As a good Catholic boy growing up I gave up videogames for lent every year (mainly because my parents bought me a game for Easter if I did) One year I watched my friend for hours trying to make this jump until I broke my lent vow and told him to give me the controller. Not only did I not make the jump, I broke a vow before God, whose existence I admitedly didn't question until years later. Total Catholic guilt on the scale of finding out masterbation is a sin. I was an altar boy for god's sake and broke my lent vow. If a just God exists, why did he allow this jump to exist?

:lol :lol :lol I love this story!! A lot of jumps were hard in the TMNT game, but that one really stumped me. As much as I love the game, I still have never finished the whole thing. I tried playing it again a few years ago and lost all my turtles trying to get past the damn seaweed. Didn't think anything of it when I was a kid, but I guess my gaming skills aren't what they used to be.

stuminus3

jerrymaguire said:
Fan of GamingMill on Youtube by any chance??

check this one out
Roland! Oh man, that takes me back. Roland was probably the most bizarre so-called company "mascot" character ever. Sonic fans should take a look and see how messed up these things could really get. :lol

Amneisac said:
Coleco_Smurf.JPG

Anyone else have a Coleco as a kid? That game was FULL of deadly jumps.

Yeah, I did but in that game, I only remember the way to get Smurfette's top off at the end:lol

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember the jumping.

Hobbun

Herbspicesoy said:
dragon2.jpg

stuff of nightmares for a child

Fuck. I've been trying to figure out the name of this game for the entire thread.

Edit: Double Dragon 2. Saw it in the pic name. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
not sure if this counts, but the beach level on supermario 64 had that shortcut that was the WORST Thing in the world if you got dealt a blue shell on the top of the ramp as you were trying to make it.

srenity

Neo Member
Jaffaboy said:
Aladdin on the Mega Drive - The Escape

About 1:12 in, the last jump out of the tunnel area I never managed to make, but in my defence the end of the ledge is the same colour as the background making it pretty hard to see that you can run that far. I never made it to the carpet ride level :(

Agreed. That level was so frustrating, I had to ABBA ABBA out of it :[

Sober

I'm going to sound like a super idiot for posting this but it was the Fire Temple in OOT.

There was a room (I think with the map chest) where you had to run opposite of the wall of fire and JUMP onto a platform from the mesh. This was to progress up to the Hammer. Except I didn't think you could do that, so I spent 2 days just looking at it, wondering how it was possible to even make that jump, trying to find a hookshot target or propel myself with a bomb and everything else. I read 10 or so FAQs and they all said the same thing, just to jump up on it. This was before they had video walkthroughs (still don't watch em to this day). So I spent another couple of hours before I said "ah fuck it" and tried to jump. Lo and behold, Link connects to the top of the edge and climbs up. Took me that fucking long to do it. Oh and then at that point the Water Temple didn't seem so hard. :lol

Glix

The jumping in Ice Climbers is so horrible and broken for a game that tasks you to move vertically through levels (not really what the op was talking about, but oh well)

Any game that uses the Donkey Kong method of if you land at an elevation lower than you started, you're dead. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, STUPID ASS SPELUNKER!

EDIT: MOON PATROL, MOON PATROL, MOON PATROL, MOON PATROL

NewFresh

valeo said:
This brings back memories

b69e1ab0916b.jpg

Those jumping servers were ridiculous. I remember leaving my computer on all night just so i wouldn't have to start over since I was half way

Also
016876780.png

Beating this game was so gratifying that I wanted to cry

Booshka

Trying to jump up to Divayth Fyr's living quarters in Morrowind, your character collides with everything and it so annoying. Levitate can help alleviate the problem, but that house is so annoying.

Tel_Fyr.jpg

Ricker

The first Tomb Raider had some pretty bad Leap of Faiths and also Prince of Persia....but I think the worst for me was in Landstalker,the section where you turned into the dog and all the jumps,on a timer,in there,damn I was patient back then,I would never try those over and over now like I did back then hehe...

turnbuckle

Funchameleon said:
Bridge to rail simply trumps everything in this thread.

If you were to poll my old wow guild on this question it would be the jump to thaddius' platform.
:lol So many irritated people on Vent at that part.

Flakster99

Black Tiger

black_tiger_01.png

Could not find a pic of the jump, but it is late in the game, the 2nd last stage if I remember correctly, and that god damn jump from time to time would suck up the remaining time you had left to clear the stage. If was beyond silly!

bon

Jumping from ropes in Spelunker is a pain, because when you press left or right, instead of holding still Spelunker dude will actually move left or right on the rope. So if you're too slow with the jump button he will just slip off the rope and die.

Chris_C

The Spoony Hou said:
I'm trying to understand too. I'm guessing you need to hold the wooden post to climb it, but the lamp gets in the way.

Red Scarlet said:
So for that Assassin Creed jump...do you have to jump from where the guy is onto the wooden lamppost? Some of these are confusing w/out explanations. Or I'm just dumb (probably).

This is exactly the problem. Everything the game has taught you up till this point tells you that you should be able to jump and grab onto either the side of the wooden platform, or the front of it.

You can't.

Ever.

G-Fex

I guess the developers were expecting you to know you can walk through it since it's already at max headroom and you couldn't possibly jump.

Chris_C

G-Fex said:
I guess the developers were expecting you to know you can walk through it since it's already at max headroom and you couldn't possibly jump.

Except, you know, there's a hole in the floor where your feet should go.

Randy said:
World of Warcraft, Naxxramas: Jump during the Thaddius bossfight. God, so annoying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVftD6Ok1Q&feature=related

I know a lot of people miss that jump and it is deceptively difficult, but you can practically just run off and make it. I say practically because I think the only time I ever missed it, I was just running off, but didn't take a straight route and missed the drop.

Chris_C said:
This is exactly the problem. Everything the game has taught you up till this point tells you that you should be able to jump and grab onto either the side of the wooden platform, or the front of it.

You can't.

Ever.

Basically, the only way I was able to make that jump was by standing directly beneath very the end of the post and press just the jump button to jump straight up. Move the left stick in any direction while doing this, like you do for every other jump in game, and Ezio will refuse to grab onto anything. Try to wall run to grab, or jump from any other angle, you are shit out of luck.

MDSLKTR

Some jumps in rick dangerous made me want to drill a hole in my brain.

rick_dangerous.png

Thank god there was cheats for that game.

thetrin said:
You realize you're supposed to run up the wall and then leap on top of the post, right?
That's exactly what I did. Had no idea people would be hung up here.

But I did have plenty of experience from AC1 to help.

G-Fex

Chris_C said:
Except, you know, there's a hole in the floor where your feet should go.

Maybe they thought everyone knew about the walk/skp through a single hole trick like Mario does on world 8. Course that's cause he uses the run button but still...same principal.

Top Bottom