• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

cooljeanius said:
250px-Oracle_Of_Seasons_-_Temple_Remains.png
See those pits in the upper left hand corner? The guide my brother and I had for the game said you had to use Pegasus seeds and the Roc's Cape to get across them. That's how we did it the first time we played through it. It was such a pain. Then on a later playthrough I realized you could just turn the season to fall and walk over them. :lol :lol :lol
WhAAT! Didn't know that....
Most difficult moment in any Legend of Zelda games.

DryvBy

Can anyone post the carnival / circus jump from Carmageddon 2? I'd post it if I was on my personal computer.

Anyway, if you can imagine a rollercoast and a huge jump at the end while dodging cars trying to knock you off, this was it for me. I suck at driving games with jumps.

Has SHADOWMAN been mentioned yet? Like 90% of the time I have spend on that game has been in lava pits. FLASHBACK also had some annoying jumps. Good call on Turok 1, ANNOYING.

Acosta

Castle of Illsuion, Game Gear version

This part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM4Kv1CRbgM&feature=related#t=3m41s

To be honest, I guess it's actually pretty easy but I have never been too skilful for platformers and the change of pace, with the introduction of the forced scroll, the music, the limited attempts and the two ghost jumps drove me crazy, it took me many, many hours to achieve those jumps and when I did I felt like the master of universe (not He-Man) :lol

U2NUMB

Razorskin said:
http://imgur.com/Nef45.png/IMG]

Fuck you lamp post.[/QUOTE]

YES THIS... After trying for an hour to jump up there I had to call a friend who had passed the game to make sure I was supposed to go up there. He laughed and said YEP just keep trying.

Spookie

PetriP-TNT said:
FLASHBACK also had some annoying jumps.

They weren't so pixel perfect though you only had a few sets of pre defined distances for jumping. All were in easily in range. Getting stuck in those animations once you had started the event though were a pain in the arse though.

Fantastic game back in the day though, really enjoyed the story even if it was a bit generic it was told well.

eXistor

I know it was THPS4, in a docklevel if I remember correctly. There was this one run you had to do which had a few jumps in there. I can't really remember how or where, but I know I never had to press start/retry as many times as I did with THPS4

Turok definitely had some horrible jumps, but if you turned on the map, they were significantly easier, as you had a birds-eye view.

Anyway, I'm going to mention QuackShot.

quackshot.jpg

The game was an homage to Indiana Jones, and there was even a segment based on the "invisible platforms" from Last Crusade immediately before the final boss. It's not actually pretty easy if you take it slow, and you know what you're doing, but I remember having a lot of trouble when I was a kid.

Feep said:
This is one goddamn jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTfb1XttlM#t=06m55s

Hundred percenting this game is probably my second greatest gaming accomplishment, right behind hundred percenting F-Zero GX.

Third is probably full chaining the first three levels of Ikaruga.

Iron_Scimitar said:
That music is AWESOME.

It's Sky High from Super Monkey Ball. The original version is better though.

nico1982

Some of the jump in Prince of Persia - the 1989 origianl - where true nightmares: from the controls to the spikes waiting you at the bottom of a five-screens-deep abyss. Even when you did them right, there were good chance of getting immediatly stabbed in the guts by a guard or a skeleton in the very next room.

Metroid Killer said:
While not 'crazy insane' hard, there were a few instances in VVVVVV where you just died again and again and again.

vvvv1.jpg

vvvv2.jpg

This game frustrated me a lot, and I'm a masochist kind of gamer :lol

My worst memory of a jump must be from Crash Team Racing, I could never really get the timing for all those shortcuts. I remember raging a lot in the Sewer Speed track on time trial.

For those who have played the game, here is a video of the track to refresh your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJ4shCLrXQ

You can see the shortcut at 1:30 .

Also any jump in any Contra game. I hate the way the jump is handled in this series, it makes dodging unnecessarily frustrating.

stuminus3

Some of you guys are freaking weak. Games made in the last 20 years don't have crazy hard jumps.

Some of the stuff you used to get on home computers in the 1980s, now those where crazy times. Those games didn't even have proper jumping physics (not even close to something like Super Mario Bros) and in most cases, you didn't even have a jump button, you pressed up on the joystick.

Jet Set Willy is a good example of this in a "good" game. There were many, many games in the 1980s on home computers that were just plain broken.

Malio

There are a couple jumps in Metroid Prime that had me cussing. Climbing up that long tree-thing that sits in the water, jumping from "leaf" to "leaf". Then falling aaaall the way back down to do it again. CUSSIN' WORTHY

LQX said:
Shadow of the Colossus, the last Colossus arm to get to his head. Said fuck it and gave up on the game.

This frustrated the hell out of me, too. I finally make a jump to his collarbone and managed to climb up somehow. I think we were supposed to shoot an arrow into his shoulder to get him to move the arm closer to it ( while wincing in pain)?

I don't have a clue what everyone is referring to in this Assassin's Creed pic, though. Was that some optional thing, or did I just breeze through it in blissful ignorance?

Struct09

Blast Processing said:
I don't have a clue what everyone is referring to in this Assassin's Creed pic, though. Was that some optional thing, or did I just breeze through it in blissful ignorance?

It's in AC2. I got stuck there too, and accidentally figured it out.

NIN90 said:
0.jpg

When you can finally do this jump, you know you are not a total noob anymore.

Bridge to rail simply trumps everything in this thread.

If you were to poll my old wow guild on this question it would be the jump to thaddius' platform.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
EVERY JUMP EVER IN TUROK

ViolentP said:
Some of those really long falls in WoW would make my stomach turn.

I love hopping onto my flying mount and going all the way up and jumping off!

No wonder I didn't recognize that Altair pic....

have yet to play AC2.... shit

Dacvak said:
EVERY JUMP EVER IN TUROK

Good call. The worst 3d platforming I've ever played, and it was constantly brutal throughout the entire game in every level. Mastering it took an unbelievable amount of commitment.

Still, Snake Rattle n Roll's 2.5 isometric view jumping demands were just as demanding and the "camera angle" made the jumping and momentum logic almost impossible to master.

Madman

RagnarokX said:
I'll go with an obscure PS1 game: One by ASC Games. It was a very good 3rd person shooter/platformer ala Contra in 3D. It could be very hard to tell landing distance given some of the camera angles. And then there was the second to last level which takes place in a dream sequence/flashback where you are in a lab that is made up of floating blocks that fall down. That level was hell. Great game though.
One was an awesome game. Ahead of it's time in my opinion. And yes, filled with brutally hard platforming. I still have my disk copy and have considered buying the PSN version.

Spookie said:
They weren't so pixel perfect though you only had a few sets of pre defined distances for jumping. All were in easily in range. Getting stuck in those animations once you had started the event though were a pain in the arse though.

Fantastic game back in the day though, really enjoyed the story even if it was a bit generic it was told well.

Only real difficult jump I can think of is one of the jumps you have to make when doing the Parcel quest.

ViolentP

Blast Processing said:
I love hopping onto my flying mount and going all the way up and jumping off!

Me too. I had flight form so I would jump off every high cliff I could find. When I go over the edge and look down.....urp!

DryvBy

Fixed1979 said:
This is the angriest I've ever been at a gap...

I dunno how I missed this. I take back my Carmageddon 2 answer and replace it with this crap. I HATED THIS GAME because of this and the underwater bombs. Eff that game.

bridegur

If we're talking frustrating jumps, anything in GTA4. Rockstar should have just gone all the way and modeled Niko in a potato sack.

oatmeal

Banned
kpop100 said:
At least a handful of jumps from this game

1.jpg

3d_worldrunner_screen11.png

MY BRAIN!!!

Shit, I totally forgot about that game.

Is that on Wii VC? If not, WHY THE FUCK NOT?!?!

I need to play that game now...

BigMack

Just read through the whole thread and was surprised I didn't see this:

m79r9d.jpg

The whole level is hard, but I would get a little bit farther each time I played it. One time I got farther than I ever had before, and all of a sudden this jump happens and DEAD! Come to think of it, I still never finished this level.

God damn, this game mad me SOOOOO mad back in the day! I would consistently play until I got to level 3, and then after yelling, cussing and throwing the controller, my mom would come in and say "Alright, I think that's enough for you today." :lol Good thing I had a Game Genie, otherwise I would have never seen that awesome snake level.

EDIT: Fuck, if only I didn't type so much. Oh well.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
0OoO0 said:
Mirror's Edge - Too many to list but I probably suck at that game

In particular I hated the one in the Mall, towards the end of the level where you had to jump from inside a vent onto the girders... had so much trouble getting the aiming right.

The people who havent metioned Adventure Island's 8-3 ending jump sequence hasnt played Adventure Island's 8-3 ending jump sequence. There was a NES Advantage-sized hole in my living room wall from this particular scene

Top Bottom