• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

beat

Meat Circus level, Psychonauts.

See, thing is, the game had a float power you acquired midway. So you could easily overshoot your jump, then use the float to dial back and land safely. No problem. Most jumps in the game arguably required you to jump to 75% of your max jump distance, so between that and the float you had a big margin for error all the time. And then the last level, you had to jump like 95% of your max jump distance or possibly max jump+float distance and so without any margin for error the game suddenly became super hard.

Letters said:
2mmakq9.jpg

And I never stopped trying to make that jump. I can't count how many times I didn't get a flag in time from missing the jump and then turning around to walk up properly.

Everyone always complains about the eagles in Ninja Gaiden. However I had a much different problem.

ninjagaiden_act6.jpg

FUCK THESE GUYS! They've taken more years off my life than all other games combined.

Fugu

Narag said:
Falling rock stage in Shinobi III. If you don't nail that double jump, you're dead!
FUCKING THIS.

This has absolutely prevented me from being able to beat this game despite the fact that I totally love it and have beaten much more difficult games.

Mr. B Natural said:
Right game, wrong jump. There's a jump in the last level that is so close to being impossible that you may have to glitch to get through it.

Game is perfectly beatable without glitching anything. Not nearly the hardest jumps on NES, but can be quite frustrating.

Double Dragon 2 on the other hand.... fuck those jumps.

Lately I've been finding UG&G is very harsh with its jumps

firex

that Ninja Gaiden 6-2 jump is an example of a way harder jump than 3-2. I recall another pain in the ass jump in stage 5 where it seems pretty much impossible.

But I am going to nominate almost all jumping puzzles from Hexen 1.

BowieZ

Banned
This, without a shadow of a doubt:

2yv0yok.png

A forwards-backwards mid-air reversal jump into a piranha plant being chased by Boos. Mario fuckin' 3. Not only that, but it was basically at the very end of the level, so failure was met with seriously painful backtracking.

aeolist

Banned
I never beat Half Life 1 because once I got to Xen I could never manage the long jumps across the floating platforms.

From what I've heard I didn't miss much.

Kyoufu

There is a jump in a mission in which I can't remember the number of, but holy fucking shit does Devil May Cry 4 punish you for missing jumps. Fuck that game, fuck it hard!

subrock

Mar said:
OP fails at games.

Also:

swamp1.gif

swamp2.gif
OMFG soooo annoying

My all-time worst jump was on lion king for genesis. my brother and I must have rented the game probably 4-5 times and there was this one jump in a cave level that we COULD NOT make. we would get to the level with so many fucking bonus lives, we were experts at the first part of the game because we did it so many fucking times. so we would get to the jump ( I think it was a part where you had to keep moving because lava was rushing up or some shit) and there was this one ledge that sloped downwards. we would run the the very edge so just our last lion claw was hanging off the edge and jump........ about a foot short, WTFFFFF?

we went to our cousins place that summer and they had like crazy 5 or $5 game rental thing going on so we rented to show off our game-skillz and rented it for SNES. we watch our cousin play and we're talking up this stupid ass jump as this crazy impossible bullshit and he gets to it and nails it first time! I do a mental rewind to see what kind of shit just went down and it turns out the color on the genesis made it the end part of the ledge look invisible. it turns out that we were jumping like 5 steps too early the WHOLE FUCKING TIME!

stuff of legends.

mollipen

DeaconKnowledge said:
I perfected my swearing with the Ninja Turtle one. The worst part is I was even MORE pissed when I realized how you actually do it.

What was the secret? I played the game briefly as a child, got to that part, couldn't get past it, and decided never to spend another moment with the game. (I didn't own the game, so felt no obligation to ever figuring it out.)

LiK

shidoshi said:
What was the secret? I played the game briefly as a child, got to that part, couldn't get past it, and decided never to spend another moment with the game. (I didn't own the game, so felt no obligation to ever figuring it out.)

you simply walked across it. no jumping. i remember that, fuck it.

Rflagg

shidoshi said:
If I remember right the secret was to not jump, but dashing across the gap. Took me forever I do remember that much.

Edit: beaten

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
commissar said:
Woah that whole sequence is crazy awesome (and looks hard). I might have to get this game :>
Sadly that felt like the only hard platforming part of the game and I didnt have that much trouble with it :/

subrock said:
My all-time worst jump was on lion king for genesis. my brother and I must have rented the game probably 4-5 times and there was this one jump in a cave level that we COULD NOT make. we would get to the level with so many fucking bonus lives, we were experts at the first part of the game because we did it so many fucking times. so we would get to the jump ( I think it was a part where you had to keep moving because lava was rushing up or some shit) and there was this one ledge that sloped downwards. we would run the the very edge so just our last lion claw was hanging off the edge and jump........ about a foot short, WTFFFFF?

we went to our cousins place that summer and they had like crazy 5 or $5 game rental thing going on so we rented to show off our game-skillz and rented it for SNES. we watch our cousin play and we're talking up this stupid ass jump as this crazy impossible bullshit and he gets to it and nails it first time! I do a mental rewind to see what kind of shit just went down and it turns out the color on the genesis made it the end part of the ledge look invisible. it turns out that we were jumping like 5 steps too early the WHOLE FUCKING TIME!

stuff of legends.
My God, that's stupid. They must've done all the play-testing in the SNES version. I think it was released first.

Grayman

Kyoufu said:
There is a jump in a mission in which I can't remember the number of, but holy fucking shit does Devil May Cry 4 punish you for missing jumps. Fuck that game, fuck it hard!
I am not sure if it is one mission or two but before fighting dante you have to climb spinning platforms then make a jump to a static walkway and later you have to go through a chamber of low/medium/high scrolling lasers that do damage and knock you back. Both areas use a limited timed slow motion powerup leaving you screwed if you take too long.

Steroyd

Turok 64.

I know it sounds strange to mention it in this thread given the topic, but the bomb bouncing in Super Metroid, Even though it was optional I never would have even thought of attempting it if it was in the video reel before you press start.

AndyMoogle said:
No mention of Landstalker yet? That game is a mess when it comes to platforming. Isometric and far from good controls...

Great game, but you do have a point. Somehow I aced it as a kid. I am sure it would kick my ass these days.

Steroyd said:
Turok 64.

I remember being called a liar for telling someone I had beat Turok 1. "There ain't no way you got past all those jumps and shit." :lol

RawkHawk2010 said:
Super Monkey Ball 2 had some crazy-ass leaps, even if it's technically not jumping.

That's so true. What surprised me the most is my little (normally a non-gamer) sister beat the game well before I did.

Lee N

Membre
Every single jump in アトランチスの謎

The layout of the 10th zone in the same game doesn't help either...

Daigoro

whoa i just remembered: Castlevania 1 (NES) + Medusa heads.

not as hard a NG, but still could be a royal bitch.

Lotan

Razorskin said:
lampimg.jpg

Fuck you lamp post.

That was a recent crappy example, I kept thinking I was doing it wrong, when it was the game's fault not mine.

Also, I will never forget getting to the last world on the original Super Mario, calling my mom in to the room to show her how awesome I was, and then plummeting to my death on the last jump with zero lives left.

A pain so real it haunts me to this day.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
BowieZ said:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2yv0yok.png

A forwards-backwards mid-air reversal jump into a piranha plant being chased by Boos. Mario fuckin' 3. Not only that, but it was basically at the very end of the level, so failure was met with seriously painful backtracking.
Meh. Lost Levels has a nearly identical jump in 8-4, but you don't have the luxury of a Raccoon Suit in that game to make it easy.

Boonoo

BowieZ said:

2yv0yok.png

All you have to do is stand on the edge facing the ghosts until the plant goes down then creep off the edge and shift to the pipe. With the raccoon tail you can just float down.

It's more of a fall than a jump.

KaYotiX

Banned
Herbspicesoy said:
dragon2.jpg

stuff of nightmares for a child

Funny thing as a kid i nailed that jump all the time :D

any jump in Ninja Gaiden 1-3......there was always something ready to nail your ass as soon as you started to jump.

BowieZ

Banned
Boonoo said:
All you have to do is stand on the edge facing the ghosts until the plant goes down then creep off the edge and shift to the pipe. With the raccoon tail you can just float down.

It's more of a fall than a jump.
Yeah well, when you're much younger and haven't played it before, don't have raccoon, and your palms are sweaty from the preceding gauntlet, it's easier said than done.

ITA84

Xeia - a level for Knytt Stories by Chironex

2h5jgqh.png

While the whole level is filled with insanely difficult jumps, this is the one you have to do at the very start. You have to double-jump to get the Ghost Eye and then fall to the far right where a passage opens up. Sure, it's at the start of the level and there's a save point right after that, so you can try as many times as you want, but there's no room for error, you have to do a perfect jump.

Super/Revenge of Shinobi on the Megadrive, the Over the Bay level there was one jump between the piles in the sea that required an almost pixel perfect jump.
It was so tough that it was changed in the later revisions of the game when the took out batman and rambo.

Top Bottom