• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

LQX

Shadow of the Colossus, the last Colossus arm to get to his head. Said fuck it and gave up on the game.

oracrest said:
Ninja Gaiden

ngmountain.jpg
I've hated birds ever since...

Vexidus

I remember Turok for N64 having some pretty sick jumping sections. Particularly the tiny posts that spiraled up to a platform you needed to get to. Ugh!

I remember some of the later levels in the original Crash Bandicoot when you're trying to break all the crates without dying being a total pain in the ass. The worst is when there's a line of of them going into the screen over a pit that you have to hop on one by one. The character model obscures your view and it's really, really easy to misjudge.

Why would you do that? said:
2zitzwj.jpg

Worst part is... it isn't a jump.

Came to post this...

There was also a jump in the game around the same area (where you're driving in the van). You got out and entered a sewer, and if you did not hit the button perfectly, you would hit your head on the ceiling above and fall into a pit. Not nearly as frustrating as the one you posted above, but still a major pain in the ass.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
giveup.jpg

fuck it, i give up :[

i did my best.

YOU HEAR ME!?!?

I DID MY BEST.

it's over

i'm giving in my gun and badge. i'm gunna buy wii-play. pce

gunandbadge.jpg

commissar

Inexplicably the double crouch jump part of Oni's training level on PC.
I tried for an hour and got past it at the end so I saved it and went to bed.

Then I found out it was checkpoint based and had to do it again. In the end (I have no idea how long I tried the second time) I had to noclip it.

No idea why :(

Gribbix

ShockingAlberto said:
FUCK THAT THING

You never, EVER have to use the "jump on your own and grab something above you" jump in the game, then it throws it at you without explanation.

It came right as I was trying to explain to someone how awesome this game is.
It was so problematic, Ubisoft actually created a support page with a video showing how to reach the lamp post.
The strange thing about it is that climbing that tower was not a problem in AC1. For some odd reason, Ubisoft removed a metal climbing ring that was present in the original.

OnPoint

There's a jump in the Genesis Ecco the Dolphin in one of the
Atlantis
levels. You had to jump over a huge wall, and it's difficult to the point that most people think you can't do it and search fruitlessly for another way through or around. Nope. Over you must go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDmuufBrfk

Here you go. I can't hear the sound as I'm at work, but this is the jump.

vocab

NMan said:
Climb Maps in Counter-Strike have some pretty nasty jumps.

Hard Cathedral was pretty brutal (I beat it in 40-50 mins), but Sandblock 2 or Hard sandblock has like a 270-280 long jump. It's borderline impossible.

Grayman said:
that doom 3 jump does look to be a bitch, would be really easy if the game had circle jump.

There are a lot of Quake jumps where I say eff it and use a rocket. I don't think I can do the RA jump on aerowalk( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIQtnBnn9xA ) in any game its been in

I can only make that jump in like CPMA or Quake world where the speed is just crazy fast. Can't do that worth shit in OSP or Vq3.

RagnarokX

I'll go with an obscure PS1 game: One by ASC Games. It was a very good 3rd person shooter/platformer ala Contra in 3D. It could be very hard to tell landing distance given some of the camera angles. And then there was the second to last level which takes place in a dream sequence/flashback where you are in a lab that is made up of floating blocks that fall down. That level was hell. Great game though.

WaltJay

The SK guildleader in Cabilis in Everquest. One of big issues was the amount of lag. I remember looking at the floor during one my million attempts at that jump, in order to combat the lag. UGH!!

Boonoo

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think I gave up on Half-life when I couldn't get the hang of the long jump.

I was stuck in Half Life 1 for a couple hours at the first point you had to crouch jump to get over (I think it was some marine crates). I had forgotten about crouch jump getting letting you go higher.

Snapshot King said:
Fucking suspended crates in a stepping stair in Half Life 1 early on in the game. Maybe it was my age but that shit was fucking bullshit.

i couldn't for the life of me jump across the elevator shaft to the ladder. quit playing for months before trying again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Doom 3 didn't have shitty platforming sections. At least not on the X-box. There was a few jumping sections, but nothing bullshit hard. WTF. :/

>>Vanilla Q3<<

Diagonal Jump, Diagonal Jump, 180, ROCKET ROCKET ROCKET.

Oh god. :/

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dark Savior, fourth parallel, floating castle.

Isometric jumping? Shitty. Isometric jumping where failure results in death? Shitty. Isometric jumping across small moving platforms where failure results in death? Super shitty. Timed isometric jumping across small moving platforms where failure results in death AND running out of time is a non-negotiable Game Over? ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA shitty.
bahahha I remember that.
I actually really like that game (is that strange?).

Desi

i don't have any pictures but:

Xenogears: The jump to the switch in the cave where you fight Calamity. When I was younger it drove me to the brink of tears. Babel was nothing compared to that, especially since Calamity kept killing me and I couldn't understand why.

G-Bus

Banned
LQX said:
Shadow of the Colossus, the last Colossus arm to get to his head. Said fuck it and gave up on the game.

This! Games still on my shelf and haven't touched it since. Doesn't help I don't have a ps2 and my 60gig kicked the bucket.

Read through the whole thread and this is the only one I would agree with. Granted I haven't played half the games mentioned here.

JacksUsername said:
Came to post this...

There was also a jump in the game around the same area (where you're driving in the van). You got out and entered a sewer, and if you did not hit the button perfectly, you would hit your head on the ceiling above and fall into a pit. Not nearly as frustrating as the one you posted above, but still a major pain in the ass.

You can walk across this gap!

I think some of the worst jumps in games ever was in Turok 1.

Gribbix said:
It was so problematic, Ubisoft actually created a support page with a video showing how to reach the lamp post.
The strange thing about it is that climbing that tower was not a problem in AC1. For some odd reason, Ubisoft removed a metal climbing ring that was present in the original.

Oh man, and here's me thinking I was just being dumb. :lol

Desi said:
i don't have any pictures but:

Xenogears: The jump to the switch in the cave where you fight Calamity. When I was younger it drove me to the brink of tears. Babel was nothing compared to that, especially since Calamity kept killing me and I couldn't understand why.
God dammit, I don't remember that. But I'm sure I never had problems there.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dark Savior, fourth parallel, floating castle.

Isometric jumping? Shitty. Isometric jumping where failure results in death? Shitty. Isometric jumping across small moving platforms where failure results in death? Super shitty. Timed isometric jumping across small moving platforms where failure results in death AND running out of time is a non-negotiable Game Over? ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA shitty.

Talk about bad memories. Thinking back this really is the worst jump I have ever attempted. Absolutely horrifying. It frustrates me just thinking about it.

Vexidus said:
I remember Turok for N64 having some pretty sick jumping sections. Particularly the tiny posts that spiraled up to a platform you needed to get to. Ugh!

This this this!

1000x this!

Turok64 pillar jumping through the fog

There is a jump in Ocarina of Time in the Dodongo's Cavern I think, and it LOOKS like you can't make it.

Because I assumed I couldn't, I didn't know where to go, so I gave up on the game for almost 6 months :lol :lol :lol

I desperately wanted to play on, so I jumped into a FAQ and read that you could make the jump even though it appeared you couldn't.

I fucking spewed.

OnPoint

2 Minutes Turkish said:
There is a jump in Ocarina of Time in the Dodongo's Cavern I think, and it LOOKS like you can't make it.

Because I assumed I couldn't, I didn't know where to go, so I gave up on the game for almost 6 months :lol :lol :lol

I desperately wanted to play on, so I jumped into a FAQ and read that you could make the jump even though it appeared you couldn't.

I fucking spewed.

You puked?

TheFury

Agreed with the AC2 jump. Took me an hour or so to figure it out and every time I ended up jumping off the platform and had to restart the sequence all over again. Finally looked online to see how to do it.

Prezhulio

just repeating the sentiments for that fucking lamp post part in AC2. i still don't even remember what i did to get past it.

Top Bottom