• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

Ialokin

I hope all the people saying Ninja Gaiden and quoting that picture from stage 3 aren't talking about that jump specifically and are just complaining about the birds and holes in that game in general, because that particular jump is a 1 on the Ninja Gaiden scale of jumping difficulty.

ngmountain.jpg

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Forkball said:
Nef45.png

Could someone explain this to me? What's so bad about this?
its been a while but as I remember it, there's about 4 ways I though to get up on that lamp post but the geometry was spaced so perfectly that not only did all my methods *just* miss making it feel glitchy but it also casued me to fling myself to my death multiple times.

I in fact became 100% convinced that the game blocked you from getting up there due to invisible walls or some nonsense and I was supposed to find another way in.

Without gamefaqs I would have had to just quit the game at that point.

MechaX

There were a few jumps like this in the Ninja Gaiden NES games. All of them being an impossible jump to a ledge that has and is only large enough for one enemy, and a bird appears out of thin air the moment Ryu goes airborne. Specifically, try Stage 6-2 in the first one and a late segment of the final stage in the second one where three birds come out of fucking nowhere while you're jumping.

I also got tripped up by that lamp post jump in Assassin's Creed 2. It got to the point where I glitched the actual lantern to spin around the post infinitely.

Feep

Banned
Daigoro said:
wtf?! :lol

i like how it says low death speed run and then the guy goes and dies 5 times in a row on that stage. that shit looks brutal.

and... the last two you mentioned aren't jumps.
I didn't say they were, just giving some reference.

The entire game is like that. Look at the fireball level before the one I linked. The speedrun in the video doesn't even require that the player get the special blue and red gems scattered in near-impossible-to-reach locations...

Gameboy415

162.JPG

I played through Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on PS2 for the first time a few weeks ago and this room had me stuck for HOURS.

You have to jump to a rope, swing, jump off onto the wall, run up and hit the white switch, jump back to the rope, and then repeat the same actions in a different direction before jumping in the opposite direction to a timed door.

My game was glitched and every time I jumped off the rope I'd end up to the left of either switch and fall into the spikes below. I finally gave up after hours of trying, turned off my PS3 (hooray for BC!), and went to bed. Tried again the following morning and did it in one try.

*sigh*

Also, I remember having trouble with some of the longer jumps in Super Mario Bros. when I was a kid.

My young mind was blown when I learned that
you can hold B to run.
:lol

Cuu

The jump from 2d Sonic to 3d Sonic... a jump I didn't want to make.
2ii7g1z.jpg
to
5vroeg.jpg

In seriousness, I think the jumps in the Flipswitch galaxy were a lot of fun. I mean, when you jump and miss, then you spin because it's second nature to get a little bit more air - then WHOOPS, you missed the platform even more because it changed.

Flipswitch.jpg

Feep

Banned
Cuu said:
The jump from 2d Sonic to 3d Sonic... a jump I didn't want to make.
2ii7g1z.jpg
to
5vroeg.jpg

In seriousness, I think the jumps in the Flipswitch galaxy were a lot of fun. I mean, when you jump and miss, then you spin because it's second nature to get a little bit more air - then WHOOPS, you missed the platform even more because it changed.

Flipswitch.jpg
I don't understand why people had any problems with this galaxy. All you had to do was only ever aim at platforms that were NOT currently there. Then you could use your safety spin every single time, and land happily on the recently switched platform.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
5u0j0x.jpg

Harder than it looks

Why would you do that? said:
2zitzwj.jpg

Worst part is... it isn't a jump.

This single jump contributed to a fear of going to hell growing up. As a good Catholic boy growing up I gave up videogames for lent every year (mainly because my parents bought me a game for Easter if I did) One year I watched my friend for hours trying to make this jump until I broke my lent vow and told him to give me the controller. Not only did I not make the jump, I broke a vow before God, whose existence I admitedly didn't question until years later. Total Catholic guilt on the scale of finding out masterbation is a sin. I was an altar boy for god's sake and broke my lent vow. If a just God exists, why did he allow this jump to exist?

Cuu

Feep said:
I don't understand why people had any problems with this galaxy. All you had to do was only ever aim at platforms that were NOT currently there. Then you could use your safety spin every single time, and land happily on the recently switched platform.

I didn't find it difficult either, but I tend to take everything way to fast (more fun that way). I usually long jump my way through levels and it was funny a few times where I'd spin and miss the platform completely.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Alundra because sometimes you have to really out to reach the other platform and its 50-50. :/

But I still love the game though

ninjarr

Neo Member
Don't forget this guy...

Even if you make the jump, you may have to start over because you head-butted the wrong boxes. Son of a bitch!

megaman.jpg

Esch

Banned
Razorskin said:
Nef45.png

Fuck you lamp post.

:lol fuck this lamp post...

But hardest jumps just makes me think of..

27049-15-2.jpg
\

AERIAL BOSSES ARE UNNECESSARILY DIFFICULT. God, what a frustrating game.

Esch

Banned
isn't it amazing that the consensus jump is something you could probably do in real life with ease?(AC2)

N4Us

*insert random jump from Jet Force Gemini here*

Some of the Monkey Ball ones are pretty murderous too.

vocab said:
Oh ya, I forgot about this one too. One of the most poorly designed jumps I've ever seen.

jsnoopyjump.jpg

If you know what you're doing, it's not that bad. I remember a bunch of people on Youtube a few years back trying to figure it out though, after one person who reviewed the game couldn't pass this level at all.

Red Scarlet

So for that Assassin Creed jump...do you have to jump from where the guy is onto the wooden lamppost? Some of these are confusing w/out explanations. Or I'm just dumb (probably).

totowhoa

Banned
ninjarr said:
Don't forget this guy...

Even if you make the jump, you may have to start over because you head-butted the wrong boxes. Son of a bitch!

megaman.jpg

Came in to post this as well. I've beaten the game enough now so that I'm at the point where I can usually get it pretty quickly, but this used to piss me off all the time for years.

Red Scarlet said:
So for that Assassin Creed jump...do you have to jump from where the guy is onto the wooden lamppost? Some of these are confusing w/out explanations. Or I'm just dumb (probably).
I'm trying to understand too. I'm guessing you need to hold the wooden post to climb it, but the lamp gets in the way.

Stillmatic

This was annoying jump for me. Sometimes Cole wouldn't reach out and grab it so i'd fall to the platform below, then work my way back up and fall to ground level.

mhwx7k.jpg

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Red Scarlet said:
Jumping for the lamp post from where he is will cause you to just hop back and forth between the two ledges. The character will ignore the lamp post and not reach for it.

You can try to stand undearneath the lamp post and jump up and grab it but its too high

you can try to stand on the ledge in front of the lamp post and jump up and grab it but I don't think that works and I forget why

you can try to run up the wall the lamp post is on from undeaneath it (which works basically everywhere else in the game ever?) but he won't grab it.

you can try to run up the wall next to the lamp post is on from undeaneath it, and you will brush against the lamp post but he won't grab for it.

The eventual solution is trivially easy to do once you know *what* to do, no one just thinks to ever do it. And it requires a technique never required before and potentially ever explained. I believe you have to stand on the ledge, run up the wall, kick off the wall and jump to the lamp post?

It's been a while so my memory might be a little off. But its not a jump that requires skill. Its a jump like the ninja turtles jump where people try for hours to do the obvious and the obvious doesn't work in this one situation.

scitek

There's a jump you have to make at the end of Advent Rising that totally glitches out and kills you. I'll try to find it on YouTube or something.

EDIT: Can't find it. It's a part where you're driving one of the Halo Warthog rip-offs and you have to escape a building that's about to explode. (Just like the end of Halo 1) and there's a jump that you just can't make for whatever reason and are seemingly forced to die at least 20 times before miraculously landing it. Fucking game.

Cday

Banned
I remember playing through X-men Wolverine Origins or whatever it's called. Anyway that game tried to do some things with platforming that were terrible and the last straw was at this part where you have to platform your way under this bridge, it was just not happening the platforming was just so bad.

jtb

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

In short, the game is based off of sticky-jump mechanics (where everything is context sensitive and it *should* just grab whatever you're reaching for).

But it just doesn't. The game fucking hates this lamp post. Only at a very weird angle will the game recognize this and actually make the jump. Which, considering this is a crucial, unskippable scene - is really fucking frustrating.

REALLY FUCKING FRUSTRATING.

Red Scarlet

ninjarr said:
What "trick"?

You can get the powered-up X-Buster where that picture is instead of from Zero on Sigma Castle 1. I always tried/could only make that jump forever when I already had the powered-up X-Buster (to make that ice sled).

Ah ok, so the main problem is the game is an asshole at "recognizing" that lamppost. Thanks.

MisterHero

Man even after all the suggestions in this thread I had to think hard about this. Here's my contribution: any jump in Donkey Kong Country that uses a barrel that only exists off-screen

Esch

Banned
the walrus said:
In short, the game is based off of sticky-jump mechanics (where everything is context sensitive and it *should* just grab whatever you're reaching for).

But it just doesn't. The game fucking hates this lamp post. Only at a very weird angle will the game recognize this and actually make the jump. Which, considering this is a crucial, unskippable scene - is really fucking frustrating.

REALLY FUCKING FRUSTRATING.

It's even more ridiculous in that it is literally the only way to get up there too. Like, did playtesters somehow get to that thing in one go? wat?

Goddamnit I still loved that game so much. Still a tie for my GotY 09.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
You can get the powered-up X-Buster where that picture is instead of from Zero on Sigma Castle 1. I always tried/could only make that jump forever when I already had the powered-up X-Buster (to make that ice sled).

Ah ok, so the main problem is the game is an asshole at "recognizing" that lamppost. Thanks.
Oh, yeah. Didn't realize that was considered a "trick", lol. Gotcha.

Actually, Snake Rattle N' Roll had harder jumps than Ninja Gaiden. Can't find a picture of it, but the last jump in the game before the final boss is pretty much impossible. 2.5d view, plus climbing up ice, plus 8+ angled kiddy corner consecutive jumps, plus impossible in the first place = hardest jump in history.

nintendo-nes-snakerattlenroll.jpg

Lord Kat Feels the Pain I Remember

Top Bottom