• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst jump you had to make in a videogame?

250px-Oracle_Of_Seasons_-_Temple_Remains.png
See those pits in the upper left hand corner? The guide my brother and I had for the game said you had to use Pegasus seeds and the Roc's Cape to get across them. That's how we did it the first time we played through it. It was such a pain. Then on a later playthrough I realized you could just turn the season to fall and walk over them. :lol :lol :lol

cvxfreak

Resident Evil Outbreak's first mission had this one part where the character has to jump across a ledge. Problem is, if you don't time it right, you're hanging for a few seconds, enough time for a fucking crow to peck you to your death if you don't kill them beforehand. I could never time that part correctly. :(

The worst thing about that Assassin's Creed 2 jump is that it uses the bitchin' Wall Jump that the game doesn't teach you until the last (or maybe second last) Assassin Tomb. You can do it right from the beginning, but because you're never told that it's there (and it wasn't in Assassin's Creed 1), you'll only find out about it by pure luck before the game explicitly tells you to do it. 30 seconds more tutorial at the start of the game would have solved the problem completely. I've been playing through the game again and it's amazing how useful the move is.

viewtiful_dru said:
bahahha I remember that.
I actually really like that game (is that strange?).
Well, I *did* do all five parallels, so I clearly liked it a fair bit myself. I've tried to go back though, and I have no idea how I got through it.

This thread is clearly divided by those who played the fourth parallel of Dark Savior and those who haven't. :)

woxel1

Hated the jump to the Relto page in Eder Kemo.. not to mention the bad lag and framerates I was getting on my Mac (this was right before Gametap cancelled Myst Online). Eder Gira also has a bad jump. Probably the worst jumping (and non-jumping) puzzles I've ever seen.

2_beach.jpg

This one's probably the best, though.

0OoO0 said:
Mirror's Edge - Too many to list but I probably suck at that game
Not really, I only found that train bit annoying the first time I played. Most other places are easily done with no more than a few attempts. The game only really gets difficult during the time trials if you're trying to link multiple advanced moves together to achieve a fast time.

Gribbix said:
It was so problematic, Ubisoft actually created a support page with a video showing how to reach the lamp post.
The strange thing about it is that climbing that tower was not a problem in AC1. For some odd reason, Ubisoft removed a metal climbing ring that was present in the original.
:lol wow

Daigoro

Trials HD has a bunch of very advanced jumps that most mortals cant hope to learn to do on a regular basis if at all.

luckily you dont need to learn them to finish courses, they are shortcuts like the Metroid ones Scarlet mentioned earlier.

some of the shit you encounter when first learning the courses seems that difficult, but its child's play in comparison to what the truly skilled can do.

-COOLIO- said:
OH HOLY CRAP

thank you.

ha ha.

cvxfreak said:
Resident Evil Outbreak's first mission had this one part where the character has to jump across a ledge. Problem is, if you don't time it right, you're hanging for a few seconds, enough time for a fucking crow to peck you to your death if you don't kill them beforehand. I could never time that part correctly. :(

yeah, but if you couldn't scrabble your way up there, there should be a friend to help boost you. so it doesn't count.

plus it wasnt that hard. just hard to do consistently. :p

Celsior

That is AC2 I guess, beat and hated the first one never saw that part, never played the second one, what made that jump so hard?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Celsior said:
That is AC2 I guess, beat and hated the first one never saw that part, never played the second one, what made that jump so hard?
I beat the AC2 and don't remember this jump at all.

consoul

Mountain King. Atari 2600.

Leap of faith off the absolute tip of a ledge at the pinnacle of the mountain.
If done perfectly, you'll just be able to grab the very bottom of a ladder leading to an extensive hidden level.

Yoshichan said:
Any platforming in Ninja Gaiden 1 (Xbox, PS3)
Hated the platforming in Ninja Gaiden, the controls are too sensitive for some of them. Its fine during most gameplay because the platforms were large enough, but for a few it was just ridiculous.

Daigoro

~Devil Trigger~ said:
there's simply no other answers, only this.

2nd times someone said this.

baloney.

is it hard as fuck, and cheap as shit? yes and yes.

are there plenty of other cheap glitchy jumps in a ton of other poorly designed games that have come out since? fuck yes.

its a hard jump because its cheap and broken, not because it takes skill though. still i agree that its very hard.

There was a jump in Call of Juarez 2 that I just could not figure out. Tried 15 times, failed, then never put the disc in my 360 again. I couldn't figure out any other way to go. Kept falling to my death.

Daigoro

Feep said:
This is one goddamn jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTfb1XttlM#t=06m55s

Hundred percenting this game is probably my second greatest gaming accomplishment, right behind hundred percenting F-Zero GX.

Third is probably full chaining the first three levels of Ikaruga.

wtf?! :lol

i like how it says low death speed run and then the guy goes and dies 5 times in a row on that stage. that shit looks brutal.

and... the last two you mentioned aren't jumps.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Forkball said:
Could someone explain this to me? What's so bad about this?

You need to run up the wall and jump to the side to grab it, a normal jump will completely miss.

I never had an issue since I always jump the way the game needed for that spot, but apparently it's the only time it's ever required to do so. It also just looks like he could grab it with a normal jump, so some people probably assume the game is glitching when he doesn't grab it.

benjipwns

Banned
A lot of others have already been mentioned, so I'll just say that I think Blasto was designed around this concept.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
alr1ghtstart said:
that jump in Wizards & Warriors that you needed to have the jump boots on to do.
oh man I remember that!

also another fuck you to the lamp post. Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Turtles are also good answers.

Top Bottom