• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Mario Kart tracks?

jokkir

I've been playing a lot of Mario Kart 7 throughout the holidays after a long hiatus from playing it and there's just one level that's just plain straight out bad: Maka Wuhu.

The concept of the course is pretty cool -- to go around Wuhu Island and see the different landmarks as you race. But the biggest problem is that there's very little skill or any excitement in this track. It's just so... plain. You go to really long straightaways with slight curves here and there and hoping the person in front of you maybe gets hit by a boulder or somehow falls off the stage.

There's not even any good item placement. There's just far too little and far too spread out. If the person in first slightly goes farther ahead than the others then they're probably going to win.

The last hang gliding part doesn't help either since everyone moves at essentially the same speed. You can only hope that someone gets a lightning there and makes everyone crash to the ground. Mushrooms won't help in this section either because you don't get enough speed when gliding nor is there even a good place to cut the track with the boost.

It doesn't help that when the game first came out, it had a really game breaking glitch to essentially skip half the track. Such an awful track.

What about you?

MK8's version of Baby Park.

Neo Bowser City @ 200cc

What a terrible track in Mario Kart history.
If using a kart, just cancel the first two MTs (let go of and repress A) of that one part and it's pretty easy.

Though the optimal way is to hold down B during the first two gold MTs you should be getting.

massoluk

Banned
Get the hell outta here, Maka Wuhu is an awesome track with plenty of variety.

On topic, fuck Baby Park, mindless side attraction

Alphahawk

Yoshi's Valley purely because the N64 could not handle it. The idea was solid, being that there are a variety of paths to take. The problem is that the N64's cpu is not powerful enough to keep track of who's where, so until you're back on the main path you don't know what place you're in,

It should be mentioned I haven't played a Mario Kart since the original DS version in 2005.

Stopdoor

Music Park sucks. I just don't get the theme. The weird fat bouncing music notes. It's otherwise all just a bunch of curves without the cool atmosphere of Neo Bowser City. It's just called "Music Park" - what's with lazy names like that and "Water Park"?

Yoshi's Valley purely because the N64 could not handle it. The idea was solid, being that there are a variety of paths to take. The problem is that the N64's cpu is not powerful enough to keep track of who's where, so until you're back on the main path you don't know what place you're in,

It should be mentioned I haven't played a Mario Kart since the original DS version in 2005.

I thought that only added to the track tbh.

EulaCapra

Cheese Land (MK8 version): they took the mustard-yellow drenched cheesy and goopy GBA course and made it into a generic desert-looking course for the MK8 update.

Wario's Gold Mine (Wii version): terrible camera angles and good luck not falling on those turns with motion controls on.

Rainbow Road (Wii): there's a fun track here somewhere if you take out MK Wii's item imbalances and 12-racers.

Rainbow Road N64 (MK8 version): somehow one of the longest tracks in Mario Kart history comes back to the Wii U version being one of the shortest ever with only one lap.

KingBroly

Banned
The original Rainbow Road on SNES. It was blinding, you couldn't see where Items were, the track was narrow as hell, and you could only play it on 150cc, meaning it was so fast that you really had to be careful around corners. It sucks ass.

Oh, even though I stand by that Coconut Mall is the worst, I feel like N64 has a lot of terrible ones that are benignly terrible so nobody's mentioning them. Like uhh... that train level? I can't even remember them.

Oidisco

Melody Motorway/Music Park is absolute trash. A nice idea for a track but the execution is terrible and the music is actually the worst.

Rainbow Road 64 is pretty bad too. The music is incredible, but it's boring otherwise. It's way too easy and too long. The MK8 version is good though.

J@hranimo

Banned
Neo Bowser City @ 200cc

But Neo Bowser City without 200cc is awesome! One of my favorite tracks from MK7.

One of the worst tracks could definitely be Choco Valley from N64. Idk...I just never liked that track, even back in the day. It's boring. =/

AngryNeox

Neo Member
Not looking at the older ones (SNES/N64/GBA) I would say that Peach Beach is actually pretty bad. It's just so boring and the only nice part is that you can easily hit enemies with most items around the start area. Especially compared to other DD tracks it's really boring.

wtd2009

Fuck the desert theme in double dash. I always groaned when we got to that one in all cup. didn't care for the traffic/city one either.

Baby Park is one of the best tracks!

Any of the MK Wii tracks could be a contender for the worst in the series. That game as a whole was a let down imo.

Bakkus

Neo Bowser City @ 200cc

Do you know that the B button serves a purpose in the game? Actually you don't even need it; Just start the slide a little earlier than usual in those swings and the problem is solved!

Top Bottom