• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja Collection ?

Purists are the worst thing ever i say, especially in the Ninja Gaiden fandom. Itagaki don't deserve half as many accolades as he's gotten just in my opinion, as good as DOA and Ninja Gaiden turned out.

I guess it makes some people feel special to hate on versions of video games that are 80% the same as the ones they put on a pedestal, and just as functional and fun to play.

If there's anything i don't understand in gaming, its the Sigma and Hayashi hate bandwagon

Yeah people with different opinions than me are the worst!!

If theres anything I don't understand its how people tolerate the wackness that was the sigma games. Unless it's some platform fanboy horseshit.

2 and Black are hands down better games than the sigma's imo. And evidently I'm not alone.

Ninja Dom

Purists are the worst thing ever i say, especially in the Ninja Gaiden fandom. Itagaki don't deserve half as many accolades as he's gotten just in my opinion, as good as DOA and Ninja Gaiden turned out.

I guess it makes some people feel special to hate on versions of video games that are 80% the same as the ones they put on a pedestal, and just as functional and fun to play.

If there's anything i don't understand in gaming, its the Sigma and Hayashi hate bandwagon

Yeah I kind of agree. I said it earlier in the thread that the two PS3 Sigma games are both okay. Not the Vita versions. Their not as good as Black and original 2, but their both good games to play. Yes they have new added annoyances but their okay.

Yeah I kind of agree. I said it earlier in the thread that the two PS3 Sigma games are both okay. Not the Vita versions. Their not as good as Black and original 2, but their both good games to play. Yes they have new added annoyances but their okay.
So you could apply this thought process to every multiplatform game that has varying levels of performance or differences.

People who prefer the huge performance benefits on PC are these problem "Purists" too then?

Yeah the sigma games are much the same as the originals. Pointing out that 2 and Black are better doesn't seem irrational to me though. Blindly hating the sigma's having never played them, fair enough that's pretty silly.

But having played them all and realising the originals are indeed better shouldn't immediately be dismissed as "purist" garbage.

Personally I'd want 360 version of 2 and OG Xbox Black in the collection. Just because some people take this preference too far and hate on the sigma's blindly shouldn't invalidate my opinion.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i have made a graph to demonstrate how i think 2 and 2 sigma relate to each other

the first graph is ninja gaiden 2. the quality is very variable, some bits are flat out the best action game i've ever played, and some bits of it are infuriating annoying garbage that should never have seen the light of day

73simFV.png

with sigma 2, they kind of 'normalise' the quality. a lot of the annoying garbage is gone, but with it, so is a lot of the 'best action game ever' stuff. the lows are higher, but the highs are lower.

CABfw6S.png

thank u for ur time.

Damn right I would. I haven't played Black in years, and don't have an Xbox anymore.

I'd love all of em' in it. Even Dragon Sword, I fucking loved Dragon Sword.

Dragon Sword was a legitimately great game and it's a shame Pachinko left it out of his recap. Not sure how well it would play an anything but a DS though but it's been a while so I can't remember how important the touch screen stuff was.

I don't disagree, but at the same time if you aren't going to be able to match Ninja Gaiden 1/2 then I'd honestly prefer if you tried something different. Spark understood this with Yaiba, even if it didn't turn out. Post-Itagaki Team Ninja did not, and on top of their games not turning out well they also give off whiffs of their superior predecessors. I guess this means they play better, but it's also more disappointing somehow. I don't want to constantly be reminded that this is a lesser version of a gameplay model I already love.

It already runs 60fps. It just does so in slow motion!

It would be unplayable at full speed, though I absolutely would a love a PC release of Ninja Gaiden 2 with a generally cleaned up framerate. They already basically patched out that section anyway -- too many younger gamers don't understand slowdown -- so any PC release would presumably have it gone too.

Port begging for super-old games, huh? Can't just purchase a console?

SephLuis

Which can be changed and balanced, just like they can include blood splatter + decapitation, bring in new bosses or levels, change up some levels....

Changing enemy count, how strong they are is something that can be done easily in a remaster. Just as Sigma2 did it going from vanilla NG2, so did Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, so they can strike a balance of enemy count + enemy health in a new remaster without issue. Cue the changes made in Vanilla NG3 to Razor's edge, they can even add bosses cut off from old NG2 if they want to, but don't forget the cutback was because some people complained about certain bosses and the slowdown in the game on a certain chapter. All the changes in Sigma was not because they did it for the hell of it.

What I meant is that the diferences in balance with the games changed the very dynamic of combat completely, thus making a definitive edition of it that much harder, since both philosophies have their pros/cons.

I would prefer if they added both modes in a remaster. One with the higher enemy count on NG2 vanilla and other with the stronger enemies of NGS2.

All there. Been saying this for a long time.

I'd like a version of 2 that is the 360 version with the performance and additions of Sigma 2 (yes, even the character interlude levels) as I otherwise prefer Sigma 2 on its balance and performance.

And Razor's Edge because, while flawed, it's still a lot of fun and much better than 3 was.

I would love to replay the first one on PC. I didn't really like 2 and never finished it.

Hoping that Nioh will scratch that itch this week. It looks like Ninja Gaiden/Onimusha/Souls had a baby.

a.wd

I would pay a lot of money for a remastered ninja Gaiden black and 2 collection, the rest you can just get rid of the shitty sections (boob fucking jiggling) then add better combat and enemy ai. Sigmas neutered ninja Gaiden, fix that shit then give me that raw edge of the seat barely blinking barely breathing ninja action shit.

dcx4610

I would.

That said, I hated the God of War direction they took the series. It doesn't feel like the same character or story to me.

I'd love nothing more than an anime/cinema based 2D game that's balls to the wall difficult and a direct sequel to the NES series. I really liked the Strider and Bionic Commando remakes and sadly, Ninja Gaiden never got its due.

While it would be great to have NG2 ported/remastered, I do not trust current TN one bit to be able to translate NG2's "spirit" one bit and instead expect them to port over a half-assed S2 version.

The status of the Vita S2+ port says it all - it baffles me how they ported over the co-op missions unadjusted... without the ability to play co-op.

bidguy

Banned
I think people are WAY to hard on Ninja Gaiden 3 its the weakest of the series, Yes, but 3/10? I still think that IGN score is absurd. To answer the question posed Yes having a full breadth of every version of every game would be incredibly cool.

its absolutely deserved

that game was a travesty at launch it was the most barebones,simplest ng game ever. if you told me it was a 15$ arcade game i would have believed you

UrbanRats

i have made a graph to demonstrate how i think 2 and 2 sigma relate to each other

the first graph is ninja gaiden 2. the quality is very variable, some bits are flat out the best action game i've ever played, and some bits of it are infuriating annoying garbage that should never have seen the light of day

73simFV.png

with sigma 2, they kind of 'normalise' the quality. a lot of the annoying garbage is gone, but with it, so is a lot of the 'best action game ever' stuff. the lows are higher, but the highs are lower.

CABfw6S.png

thank u for ur time.
Kind of agree, for the most part.
Though some of the best stuff they cut was more of general pacing and mechanics (like number of enemies and delimbing) more than specific great moments.

thelastword

Banned
What I meant is that the diferences in balance with the games changed the very dynamic of combat completely, thus making a definitive edition of it that much harder, since both philosophies have their pros/cons.

I would prefer if they added both modes in a remaster. One with the higher enemy count on NG2 vanilla and other with the stronger enemies of NGS2.
That would be more work though, since they would have to remaster from two source games, NG2 and NG2S. It could work, but I very much doubt it would happen. They could put the two armadillos back, lessen the incendiary arrow spam, put back blood splatter and decap and call it a day though. Whatever they do, once we get a collection, that'd be swell...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah people with different opinions than me are the worst!!

If theres anything I don't understand its how people tolerate the wackness that was the sigma games. Unless it's some platform fanboy horseshit.

2 and Black are hands down better games than the sigma's imo. And evidently I'm not alone.

I don't care about opinions, i care about hyperbole and blatant elitism. And hating on Sigma 2 which is a fine game compared to the original 2 which obviously had its own glaring flaws, just because one thinks it makes them feel special and belong to a superior clique of hardcore henry's is ridiculous.

I don't know exactly how you got platform wars out of Ninja gaiden, but i'll leave you to that.

73simFV.png

CABfw6S.png

thank u for ur time.

In this weird way, that's also how i see it. They took all the enemies out of the stairway of doom that made it go into slow motion, which was one of the best parts of the game, but they also took out the constantly rocket spamming enemies and a lot of the unbalancd bullshit.

So they 'fixed' a lot of frustrating elements, but took out a lot of the elements that were frustrating but also pretty awesome. So your left with an experience which is streamlined, and not as epic, but not as controller throwing, and i personally liked the additions of the rachel missions, as well as momoji and ayane missions in Sigma 2.

Rathorial

No, I wouldn't buy a Ninja Gaiden Collection, because I've only ever liked 1 main entry in the series, and don't want to waste money on the other games.

I would in a heartbeat take a remaster of Ninja Gaiden 1 or Sigma, with better graphics, performance, and heck throw in a PC version if able. One of the best character action games ever made.

What I don't have is nostalgia or reverence for the 2D entries, and the 3D Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 were mistakes imo. 3 was just on its face a bad direction-less game with dumbed down combat, and constantly taking away camera control just for dumb cinematic finishers. Ninja Gaiden 2 was less bad, but regular enemies losing just one limb enabling contextual execution finishers was sooooo bad...it made everything but bosses piss easy, especially when you got the scythe that could cleave limbs off multiple enemies around you.

I could do with a replay of Ninja Gaiden Black for sure. Anything else they want to throw in there works for me, just make sure NGB is there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does it run well though? Because every OG Xbox game I've played on 360 sucked. Full of glitches and freezing.

All of the "Itagaki games"(DOA3/DOAU/NG1/B) are compatible with 360, and run better than original Xbox and look far better too with proper 16:9 support.

They look great blown up to 1080p on 360, you don't even really need a remaster in that sense. The 360 is generally my preferred way of playing OG Ninja Gaiden 1.

Grief.exe

All of the "Itagaki games"(DOA3/DOAU/NG1/B) are compatible with 360, and run better than original Xbox and look far better too with proper 16:9 support.

They look great blown up to 1080p on 360, you don't even really need a remaster in that sense. The 360 is generally my preferred way of playing OG Ninja Gaiden 1.

Interesting.

I don't know; Taking the Original Xbox version of NG Black, as well as taking the 360 version of NG II, adding in the content that was in the Sigma versions, enhancing the graphics, increasing the resolutions to Native 1080p w/60 FPS, adding in a shitton of more enemies, etc. would take a lot of work for Koei Tecmo than for them to just simply use both NG Sigma 1 & 2 (as well as using Razor's Edge), & doing the rest of what I just mentioned, as they already have the extra content in. Heck, they used the Sigma versions for the PS Vita versions of NG (as NG Sigma Plus & NG Sigma 2 Plus).

It'll especially help with Sigma 2, considering that there weren't a whole lot of enemies on the screen like with NG 2 on Xbox 360 because of the split amount of RAM between the CPU (256 MB) & the GPU (also 256 MB) on PS3, while all 512 MB's of RAM on the 360 were all unified.

This time around, 3rd party developers have at least 5 & a half GB's of unified RAM to use for gaming, so they can easily put a ton of enemies there.

Demoskinos

This is on place i'll disagree wholeheartedly. NG3 is absolute shit. Its not hyperbole. 3 out of 10 is a fair score.

It only went up to 6 or 7 when Razor's edge came out because they redid entire sections and completely revamped the combat to not be a mash fest. Infact, i largely consider Razor's edge to be a different game, just because the experience was so much better, even though it was still a problematic game because of basic game design like binding your health to finding a save point or doing a special attack, while having no real weapon variety.

Those of you who never tried Razor's edge, i give it a recommendation...it really should have been how 3 originally released to begin with at the very least.

Yep..Sigma 2 can be contrasted with NG2...i think they both have their weaknesses as well as strengths, i can't say one is better over the other in terms of experience. NGS2 has a lot less frustrating moments, but Ninja Gaiden 2 has a few more epic moments.

To me 3/10 says that is a nearly completely broken mess. I've played some absolute turd games in my times (special shout outs to Two Worlds and Vampire Rain on the 360). Ninja Gaiden 3 is pretty bad but its not broken at worst I'd say its 5/10 on a technical level the frame rate can get pretty bad but honestly some of the mechanics in NG3 like the way they implemented Ultimate Techniques and Ninpo are interesting change ups. Not exactly what I wanted out of it but at the same time I think it was an interesting stab at attempting to evolve the combat.

And lets face it the ultimate technique was extremely spammable ESPECIALLY in Ninja Gaiden 2. I remember getting #1- #3 on the leader boards for multiple one weapon only leader boards by going through the entire game doing nothing but UT and OT.

danmaku

I would buy it in an instant. Ninja Gaiden badly needs a collection that runs at locked 60. I would be OK with Tecmo simply dumping the games on Steam with no extra content.

These games aren't even available on modern consoles. Nobody wants to go buy an original xbox to play NGB in S video on an HDTV. Please continue shitposting tho.

Shitposting? I was talking about last-gen consoles. Don't assume like you assume that console games will all eventually go to PC.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
As long as they're the Sigma versions (with the missing content from the originals, like the costumes in Ninja Gaiden/Sigma and projectile weapons in II/Sigma 2), sure.

I would happily give them money if instead of the Sigma versions they add the NES games as well. (or if they leave them inside of Ninja Gaiden and NG Black like in the originals).

Top Bottom