• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja Collection ?

How many of you played through 3 or Razors Edge?

I have. It was... good. Some battles were fun and the added weapons were a massive improvement over NG 3 vanilla, some lovely environments but the boss battles on a whole were poor and the story was pretty bad.

I know NG 1 & 2 had kinda dumb stories but there was a mythology there and I enjoyed it, NG 3 just didn't bring the fun and was for too serious. The soldier begging for their lives, my edge lord blood arm needs to KILL. Nah man, give evil ninja lord wants demon power any day

I would pay many dollars for PC versions of NGB and Ninja Gaiden 2. It will probably never happen though - our only hope for the good versions of the Ninja Gaiden games is emulation.

I'd be down for a PC or PS4 collection of Ninja Gaiden (preferably PC). Knowing KT though, if they did push through with something like this they'd probably just release them piecemeal.

I'd pay 40-60$ for a Steam version of NG Black!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nah, Sigma's are simply for PlayStation owners.

There were fanboys that argued Sigma was better than Black. -_-

And if they do this, Just be Black and II. No reason to include that Ninja trash Sigma.

A decent PC port would fix half the problems of II anyways. If they took the time to actually fix the gameplay issues properly such as balancing and refining it like Black. Then you would have easily the successor to Black. Not just removing shit and adding shit in... cough Sigma. But actually taking what is in the game and working with it.

But sadly, it would most likely be Sigma ports.

UrbanRats

The two Oni bosses in Sigma 2 were great, and Momiji wasn't bad to play with.
Ayane also wasn't bad.
And, when the netcode held up, the coop mode was also a lot of fun.
Plus you had a much better bow, less ridiculous projectile spam from off screen, and other various adjustments.
It did have several other flaws, like the reduced enemy count, the reduced delimbing, some things just outright cut, instead of being fixed properly (but keep in mind, they had to be fixed in the first place) and so on and so forth.

Neither was a perfect, nor really spectacular entry in the franchise, but I really can't understand people acting like Hayashi destroyed a masterpiece, with Sigma 2.
There were fanboys that argued Sigma was better than Black. -_-

And if they do this, Just be Black and II. No reason to include that Ninja trash Sigma.

A decent PC port would fix half the problems of II anyways. If they took the time to actually fix the gameplay issues properly such as balancing and refining it like Black. Then you would have easily the successor to Black. Not just removing shit and adding shit in... cough Sigma. But actually taking what is in the game and working with it.

But sadly, it would most likely be Sigma ports.
Lol, calling people "fanboys", and then calling the Sigma games "trash".
The irony.

Grief.exe

As long as the port is done correctly on PC, Tecmo has a bad reputation for scalable PC ports.

I wonder if Black would be easier to PS4/XBO/PC due to x86, I can dream.

eso76

I will take a ninja gaiden black remaster.
Don't really care about the others. Actually, forget about them altogether, concentrate your efforts on remastering/remaking ngb and updating to today's standards

Shifty

Remember when Koei Tecmo released a Ninja Gaiden game on PC?

Remember when that game had zombies in it?

crQEaI.gif

We're not getting what we want.

thumb

Banned
I really enjoyed the Sigma games. I loved the consistent performance, less projectile spam, and yes, I enjoyed playing as the other characters.

Sigma hate is bizarre and hyperbolic.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 are what I'd want. Not a fan of the Sigma versions, don't outright hate them or anything but not a fan of the additions/deletions Hayashi made with them.

However Ninja Gaiden 3 can fuck right off into the bin, never has a game disappointed me more (and though I didn't play much of the Razors Edge version it didn't seem anymore fun)

Peff

Neither was a perfect, nor really spectacular entry in the franchise, but I really can't understand people acting like Hayashi destroyed a masterpiece, with Sigma 2.

Because you have it backwards. NG2 had the potential to be a masterpiece with an extra year of iterating, balancing and polish. So when the game got a second chance, only to end up being worse in many ways, including altering the very core concept of the fighting mechanics, well, yeah, then it's going to be received poorly no matter how many extra characters and pixels it has.

Breakage

The Sigma versions of NG 1 and 2 are great, and you're incorrect about the reasoning behind Sigma 2 having less enemies. You call out Sigma 2 for being "dumbed down" because it had less enemies and gore, but then conveniently forget to mention that the Xbox 360 version ran like garbage because it had too many enemies onscreen. Also, since we're bringing up Digital Foundry, they said the Xbox 360 version was "virtually unplayable" at times because of the performance issues, and that the PS3 version was the better version of the two. Give the Sigma games credit where their due, people. They're both great versions of great games.

I never said anything about the Sigma games so you're quoting the wrong user. I think the non-Sigma and Sigma games are different flavours of the same game.
They each have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Your favourite version is entirely dependent on preference.
The point is, that Sigma 2 was built around the PS3 so that's why it has fewer enemies on screen and stuff like chopped limbs/body parts don't linger after battles.
It was a technical decision according to the DF article and not an intentional dumbing down of the game.

I'd legitimately pay $300 for this digitally. I want them that bad. I even think Razors Edge is a great game (though I'd prefer a combat tweak that made the other weapons stronger and removed the iframes from the Scythes half circle Y attack).

Pinky

Banned
If all the games listed in the OP were in one collection, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and pay mass amounts of money for it. That would be an incredible package.

Fbh

Absolutely.

I miss Ninja Gaiden :(

And no one except Platinum seems to be focusint on hack and slashers (or character action games if you want).
If no one wants to make new ones at least give me remasters of old ones

Eolz

Let's just ask Platinum to help with the remaster and to work with Itagaki on NG 4

That is a bad idea. Platinum makes their 3D BTA a certain way, Capcom too, TN too.

Absolutely.

I miss Ninja Gaiden :(

And no one except Platinum seems to be focusint on hack and slashers (or character action games if you want).
If no one wants to make new ones at least give me remasters of old ones

Hey, if we're lucky, DMC5 has some chances...
I'm sure TN is coming back to NG later anyway. That's still a big IP, they just know they fucked up with 3 and wanted to take a break and making something different (Nioh). No dev likes to do the same thing forever, same thing that Retro did.

I did. Vanilla 3 was bad. They actually managed to make of RE the equivalent of a Sigma game though, a good 7/10 on some points. It's still a broken game at heart, but it would have been hard to fix it more than that really...
Looking forward to what they do next.
Again, Hayashi is more about executive production and supervision now, he's a lot less hands-on than before, and they showed numerous times those past years they can understand and follow players feedback on some points.

NGB is a masterpiece game. I'd love a timeless version I could keep around on PC instead of having to hook up an old console. The situation with 2 is more complicated. I prefer the original even with it's problems just for the raw ambition of it and the brutal nature of some scenarios that are changed a lot in Sigma (the return to the ninja village is one of the most exciting and harrowing stages in an action game imo, and the Sigma version is much more tame). However the Sigma version did bring some cool stuff like the coop modes and Momiji with her mid-air UTs. Ideally it'd be a version you could just toggle between both releases but I doubt that would happen.

Original NG2 on PC being able to be played without any framedrops would be a thing of beauty.

I don't get why people say positive things about NG3:RE. Everything positive about the Razor's Edge additions are just wholesale copied from previous games. It still has the same mind numbing NG3 level / scenario design. It has the god awful steel on bone mechanic. It still has some of the worst bosses in action game history. Porting tons of stuff from Ninja Gaiden 2 only gets you so far - honestly with all the copied stuff the game feels like a half baked third party expansion pack of Ninja Gaiden 2 (like F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate or something).

ShinMaruku

No, please, elaborate.
Black is considered by most the high point of the series.

I would consider the Hurricane Pack the high point but very few played it and some did not like some of the stuff, I loved intercept. As for why I say Black was the abberation is because it's the third revision to Ninja Gaiden there was the base, then Hurricane pack then black, that allows for plenty iteration and when team Ninja actually iterates and does not try to be too different they do great work as evidenced by their last 5 projects.

Itagaki considered Ninja Gaiden 2 his greatest work and some had problems with that one, like black many considered DOA3 his best DOA then you find out all the great stuff in that the man considered mistakes which he removed in DOA4 which was a disaster then you move to the Devil's third his latest game, that too never worked out too well either.

This is why I consider it an abberation, his finest work but it is so far back in his portfolio.

This said I'd love a Remaster collection or they move forward with Code Chronus and go back to Ninja Gaiden basics with that game.

Shin-chan

Slightly off topic, but have we seen any credits for Ni Oh? I wonder how much of Team Ninja is dedicated to it and if NG4 could be being worked on behind the scenes.

It'll also be interesting who they have directing both games.

As bad as NG3 RE could be there's no other action game like Ninja Gaiden, and nothing else even attempting to be.

ShinMaruku

Slightly off topic, but have we seen any credits for Ni Oh? I wonder how much of Team Ninja is dedicated to it and if NG4 could be being worked on behind the scenes.

It'll also be interesting who they have directing both games.

As bad as NG3 RE could be there's no other action game like Ninja Gaiden, and nothing else even attempting to be.

If NG4 is being worked on it's in concept phase.

Pachinko

I'm happy to see so much interest about this , I was kind of worried no one cared about this series anymore to be honest. Seems most people agree the 2 main games to play through are NG Black and NG2 .... it's totally a false hope on my part to expect current team ninja to drop everything and rebuild those 2 games with glorious new graphics while also fixing the handful of issues with the original version of NG2. As someone on page 1 linked - that farnsworth "a man can dream though" really does sum it up.

I do remain hopeful that the boobs , butts and skin stays firmly planted in a swimsuit with the DOA series from here on out and Ninja Gaiden 4 (if it's even being made) returns to the gritty violent roots that made those first 2 games such a success. Well and, instead of re-inventing the wheel like they tried with NG3 , just start with NG2's combat and build on it (adding easy weapon switching to extend combos , cleaning up the aiming controls, making the limb loss mechanic also effective against boss characters).

To those asking why the Sigma games were disappointing or bad for some that feel my OP isn't informative enough , the short answer with Sigma is literally just because of the Racheal missions being mandatory. Her playstyle was almost like learning a new game and she wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable to play as compared to Ryu. Her missions also added nothing to the games story , instead feeling exactly like what they were - mostly recycled content from Ryu's stages. Sigma also threw in a handful of extra bosses/midbosses during stages that previously had none and they weren't needed. Fighting fiend Ryu was cool , a nice challenge for those that had played the original a couple times (although he was in Black as well) but stuff like fighting motorcycle spec ops dudes in stage 4 or fighting a pallete swap of the fat man boss from stage 3 ? yeah those did nothing. Kind of annoying actually , dulls the impact of the real boss fights.

Sigma 2 was even more of a sad story because , as others in this thread have mentioned - NG2 wasn't quite finished, it had some obvious technical issues (remember the original version of the temple hike on stage 12 ? with the 100 brown ninjas slowing the game down to 15fps ? ) and some actual crash bugs that would freeze the game or trap enemies in walls making it impossible to progress. There was also some questionable sub stages (most notoriously the worm tunnel in the south america section of the game) , overly long levels that weren't quite finished (the montreal stage that ends with the fire demon boss) and a couple of bosses that flat out didn't work or were poorly presented to the player (the fire armadillo demon that could OHKO the player if you didn't block his one attack, the twin dragons you had to shoot with arrows in the south america level). Some might even argue that occasionally the placement of ranged enemies was more annoying then challenging. Basically a lot of stuff that another few months to a year of testing could have cleaned up to make the game a standout hit. Instead the PS3 version added in 3 new forced side missions with Ryu's titular companions , tossed in a pointless boss fight in a handful of stages and while it also cleaned up some of those frustrating sections I mention above, it came at the expense of removing 50% of the enemies from every stage and destroying the weapon upgrade system. The gameplay loop in NG2 was built around limb loss as an actual gameplay mechanic and the PS3 version of the game pretty much removed it. So it plays like a strange batardization of NG1 and something that isn't NG2. Fewer enemies per encounter on average too. Also, the gratuitous violence that made NG2 such a visceral experience was replaced with glitter bombs and sparkles and to make up for it there are jiggling breasts all over the game.

I mean, good on you for getting through it , especially if you had no alternative. I don't personally think its awful , it's just , NGsigma 2 became a strange entity. It's still better than the average action game out there but it's not as good as it could have been. Hence, it becomes a disappointment.

SephLuis

The biggest issue with a compilation of these games is that there isn't a definitive edition of NG1 and NG2.

Regardless of what you think, Sigma 1 added content that some people would like to see and play and NG2/Sigma 2 are wildly different games and I seen some people that prefer Sigma variant. Regardless, having both on the package would be for the best.

NG3 does have a definitive edition, but it's NG3. The combat in RE got much, much better, but the rest of the game is bad. This would be the easier one for them to remaster.

Dereck

The biggest issue with a compilation of these games is that there isn't a definitive edition of NG1 and NG2.

Regardless of what you think, Sigma 1 added content that some people would like to see and play and NG2/Sigma 2 are wildly different games and I seen some people that prefer Sigma variant. Regardless, having both on the package would be for the best.
You bring up an interesting point

Miletius

Yeah, as other have said, I'd be down with a PC compilation of Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2. I'd be ok with them including the Sigma versions, because options, but I doubt I'd play them. If they only offered the Sigma versions then I wouldn't bite.

Don't really care for 3 or Razor's Edge, although if they wanted to throw them in then whatever.

Shin-chan

I think the Sigma versions are worse overall (though the performance is nicer in 2) but the notion that "I want ninja Gaiden on current platforms. Oh you're only offering Sigma? Well fuck that, I'd rather not play ninja Gaiden at all" just seems weird to me.

The balance changes are significant within the games themselves but they don't make them "not ninja Gaiden". There's nothing like these available on either PC, ps4 or Xbox one so if you're wanting to play this style of action game the idea that you'd turn your nose up at sigma is pretty petulant.

And if you still have the old platforms hooked up than you don't need a current gen/PC port, just play your favourite versions.

I played both, though only made it halfway through vanilla (well, patched) 3. That's exactly why I would want a collection of the real Ninja Gaiden games (including NES stuff) and not the middling Sigma remixes, and also why I don't care for some potential Ninja Gaiden 4.

A perfect demonstration of how lousy Team Ninja is post-Itagaki is their fixes for Razor's Edge consistent almost entirely of lifting content from Ninja Gaiden 2 360. And even with all of that additional development time (and charging fans for the game twice) it didn't come close, though on Hard difficulty it's at least vaguely enjoyable in sections. Ninja Gaiden 2 is a great foundation for a sequel, even when you then fill it with bad levels, cinematics, and boss fights, there's still some potential fun lurking inside.

Only nice non-Itagaki addition they've made to this series is the extra playable characters for post-game content. That's cool, I can respect that.

(And obviously when we talk about the Itagaki Ninja Gaiden games we are massively simplifying. A ton of other core developers left Team Ninja with him, and clearly they were important to these games too. At least the DOA team seemed to maintain a bit more of its central gameplay appeal, though obviously they screwed up a lot of stuff massively in 5. Having such a poorly responsive fighting game in a series that was founded on Virtua Fighter 2-levels of input response is gross. And then of course they went all pedophile.)
Remember when Koei Tecmo released a Ninja Gaiden game on PC?

Remember when that game had zombies in it?
Eh, let's be fair, I'm not a fan of the zombie genre and how overused it is either, but the other Ninja Gaiden games had loads of undead enemies too.

Shifty

Eh, let's be fair, I'm not a fan of the zombie genre and how overused it is either, but the other Ninja Gaiden games had loads of undead enemies too.

Sure, but the fact that it's 'a zombie game lol' rather than 'a game including zombies' is the most emblematic thing about it outside of being a pile of shit that nobody asked for.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's a damn shame that these games haven't been remastered or preserved on PC in any way. Ninja Gaiden is an incredibly important series for action gaming as a whole, and I'd pay top dollar to be able to beat Master Ninja on these games again all over again on new systems/PC.

Top Bottom