• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy NEO if it featured full PlayStation backwards compatibility?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it's the only way they'd get me to upgrade honestly.

bede-x

It won't happen, but it would be a killer feature to me, as long as the games we purchased digitally on other PS platforms carried over. I'd rather have that than extra hardware power and PSVR.

c0de

Think about it. Wanna play a PS2 game? Pop it in! The PS3 is Sony's worst selling console, with some of the best games of all time. So many people never bought a PS3 and missed out on great games. If NEO had a PS3, a PS2, and a PS1 baked in, that would be a fantastic selling point!

But is it even possible?

Still not possible to emulate ps3.

vypek

No. If I didn't already own a PS4 already it would probably be enough to push me over the edge and get it.

Varg

Banned
Oh so now everyone wants BC right lol? Could have sworn majority was saying it was a wasteful feature when Xbox announced it . Funny how thing change

jax

Banned
It may be possible and yes, I would buy it ;). 2.1 GHz modern OOOE cores are quite quite close to the 3.2 GHz in order PPE and SPU's.

Still not possible to emulate ps3.

n5UL7.gif

Nosgotham

Think about it. Wanna play a PS2 game? Pop it in! The PS3 is Sony's worst selling console, with some of the best games of all time. So many people never bought a PS3 and missed out on great games. If NEO had a PS3, a PS2, and a PS1 baked in, that would be a fantastic selling point!

But is it even possible?

it would be an instant buy and im a huge proponent against the neo, xbone.5.

but if i could play all they games on one system. boom. im down

Jolkien

There's way more than enough game coming out these days that I can't revisit my old. Would be useless for me. I'm buying a Neo day one without it anyway.

jax

Banned
The OG PS3 had full PlayStation BC. That was almost 10 years ago. Why couldn't they do the same today?

I probably won't buy a NEO, since I have a PS4 already. If I'm buying another console (in addition to the NX) it's going to be the Xbox 1.5, just to have one of each console. UNLESS Sony baked a PS3 in there. I'd love to play MGS4, KH HD, Crash Bandicoot, etc. if it was all handled by one front loaded disc that'd be amazing! To me, the PS1/2/3 library > Microsoft's first party exclusives.

hymanator

I want a PS console that played everything from previous generations. Hell, stack multiple motherboards in the box if emulation isn't possible.

Fhtagn

Instantly.

PS2 disc compatibility would have had me in on PS4 on day one, and instead I waited a year and got one when TLOU:R came out.

Illucio

Banned
That would be working backwards.

I would rather have better emulation then anything and able to download digital versions of the games onto the Neo.

But then again I'd much rather not have Neo since it's a bad idea on its own.

Full disc and PSN BC with PS1 through PS3? DAY 1.

Outside of new games with prettier graphics, this is the most important feature for me that a new Playstation console could offer. I don't care if it drives the cost up an extra $200. Put whatever innards are necessary inside the box to make it happen.

Beatrix

I don't play on buying NEO unless if there is a substantial benefit to it that would lessen my experience on the original PS4. If it's anything like an iPhone 6 to iPhone 6s upgrade then I'm going to pass.

However if there was full backwards comparability (PS1, PS2, PS3, I know it won't happen but..) I would definitely buy it in a heart beat. No question.

Jimrpg

I mentioned it in the other thread!

Glad someone made a thread about it.

Right now the PS4 library just can't compete with my Steam library.

But... with full backwards compatability all the way back to 1995... sign me up! I don't have a problem getting iterative consoles if they do this.

Jimrpg

Nope, it's not. Not with all the "Classics" on the PS Store and with PS Now. Why would Sony do that if they can sell these games and/or rent them (via PS Now).

You can still sell them to people who don't have the games. Alot of people probably can't be bothered searching thru second hand places to find a game they want.

Besides if i have the game... id probably just dig out my console and play it and save the $5-10.

Elfteiroh

No BC is the reason I haven't bought a PS4 yet. So yes.

Hell, I'm a Nintendo fan, but if NX isn't BC, I might not buy it either.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm thinking they should either do this, or perhaps release a new PS3 with more functionality. Or maybe I should just go buy a PS3 super slim?

There won't be any more PS3 revisions.

Last-gen sales have fallen off a cliff, they're not going to put R&D into making a new PS3 model. They want you to buy a PS4.

Buy a Super Slim.

You can still sell them to people who don't have the games. Alot of people probably can't be bothered searching thru second hand places to find a game they want.

Besides if i have the game... id probably just dig out my console and play it and save the $5-10.

Where do Sony win money in the second hand market? It's not happening.

Plus, if it was happening, we would know. A lot of devs already have the Neo dev kit.

androvsky

Why are people okay with buying a PS4K for PS1 and PS2 games when it's clear the regular PS4 can handle them? PS3 I'd understand, but are we assuming Sony is going to artificially hold back stuff from the PS4 just to push the more expensive system?

Why are people okay with buying a PS4K for PS1 and PS2 games when it's clear the regular PS4 can handle them? PS3 I'd understand, but are we assuming Sony is going to artificially hold back stuff from the PS4 just to push the more expensive system?

PS4: Definitive Edition?

Windam

Scaley member
Not gonna happen, but yeah, I'd trade in my PS4 if it was possible. As it stands, I have zero interest in getting a Neo/PS4K while my PS4, underpowered as it is, still gets its job done.

There won't be any more PS3 revisions.

Last-gen sales have fallen off a cliff, they're not going to put R&D into making a new PS3 model. They want you to buy a PS4.

Buy a Super Slim.

Are those even made anymore? No online or local retailer seems to have stock and third parties are charging around $300+ (CAD).

This is supposed to be a premium console that's more for the core crowd right? All the rumored benefits so far kinda sound underwhelming. Complete BC would be a huge card up its sleeve.

LewieP

Not possible, but yes I'd get a PS4 that had full native PS3 compatibility. PS2/1 would be icing on the cake.

Ouroboros

I'm very much against getting the NEO but if it had BC for ps1 and ps2 games and PSNow had a good majority of PS3 games...yeah....yeah I'd pony up.

HYDE

Banned
Hell yes. All these PS+ PS3 games I've been racking up, but I just can't take my PS3 out of my closet and use that dualshock 3 to play them. Its the only thing holding me back from playing Spec Ops The Line and Dishonored

So use your DS4!? It works for everything but the home button (which Sony needs to patch asap).

Top Bottom