• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy NEO if it featured full PlayStation backwards compatibility?

MrHoot

If by miracle it'd happen then hell yeah, that would be something major for me who always worries about BC. Way more of a boon than improved performance. Even if it's just ps1 and ps2 (i would never ever expect ps3, unless they pull some eldritch magic out of their narnia bumholes)

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So I had this exact idea a while back, but since I'm an eternal junior member I couldn't post it. I say we all spam Sony now while the neo is still unannounced and request full backward compatibility!!! If they threw in digital titles from ps3, that would be nice too, but specifically disc games.

Chance

Think about it. Wanna play a PS2 game? Pop it in! The PS3 is Sony's worst selling console, with some of the best games of all time. So many people never bought a PS3 and missed out on great games. If NEO had a PS3, a PS2, and a PS1 baked in, that would be a fantastic selling point!

But is it even possible?

AbsoLUTELY. That would be a dream console.

Yes, I would buy like 4 if so.

Yes, it's of course technically possible. No, it's not economically feasible. Assuming Sony somehow got PS2 emulation on non-PS2 hardware 100% which is a big ask, they'd still have to basically put the bulk of a PS3's hardware into the neo to allow for PS3 BC so while it's again technically possible, it will not happen as the thing would be horribly cost prohibitive with poor margins.

Vashetti

Banned
Are those even made anymore? No online or local retailer seems to have stock and third parties are charging around $300+ (CAD).

Doubt it, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement from Sony soon that PS3 HW production is/has ended like with the 360 recently.

I got a brand new 4300 model Super Slim late last year, was pretty hard to find (UK).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No effect on me as I have little interest in revisiting past gen games since I don't come remotely close to keeping up with current gen releases that interest me.

Evilkazzz

Banned
I would.

But it likely wont. Something like that would have been confirmed in the leaks. It would also have to involve retooling the playstation 4's playstation store to be able to download PS1/PS3 games.

Not to mention what does this mean for PS2 games? I have Persona 3 FES on my PS3 but the PS4 store's PS2 games are all slightly superior versions of the old PS2 games so it would confuse the userbase to be able to let you download the original PS2 games while offering updated PS2 games too.

Maybe if it came with a fuckton of freebies. This incremental upgrade garbage has me done with consoles. I just got a new GPU in my PC; at least I'm used to incremental upgrades there. I want my console to be my console. I buy it and play games on it for 4-8 years. I want my PC to be a PC; it's like a hot rod you tune up for track day. The twain shall not meet.

This shit killed Sega, and it'll kill Sony and MS if they put all their eggs in this basket.

havok75

Yes, in a heartbeat, because I still have my PS2 and PS3 hooked up to my tv. If it was able to do that, for me it would be worth every penny.

Sydle

Not sure, but that would be amazing if they pulled it off.

I'm leaning towards wanting all of their older stuff on PS Now that I can play through my TV. One less device to buy is preferable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. I will buy one regardless for the 4K media features on my 4K set.

I been gaming since the first Pong unit hand-me-down in the early 80's, and Commodore 64 on up. BC has never swayed me to purchase a console or not. The games coming out for it, or features to take advantage of my other tech (wether it is home theater, etc.) have swayed me.

Nothing sure says, 'I am on the fence for new powerful tech, but nothing will push me over like playing generations old tech on it.' (Yes, I am being a smartass and serious at the same time with the last statement.)

Yes, otherwise probably no for now.
PS2 and PS3 would be great. Kind of strange, but it would really help a lot and make a lot of my games a lot more feasable to play.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yes. It's the one thing I would buy it for. Would give my setup some much needed space, and hey I'd finally have an excuse to play some I my PS Plus backlog of PS3 games without the annoyance of having to plug and unplug stuff all the time.

brawly

I'm done with almost all old games.. I'd rather not play them anymore and keep the memories than taint those memories.

jax

Banned
I hope someone at Sony is reading this. I think the answer is an overwhelmingly positive YES.

Do it Sony! And give us retro arcade PSVR too with CRT emulation for old games!

Afrikan

Yes, It's nice to want things.

But it wouldn't keep its $399 price tag... it would be much more.

and that would fuck with the main reason it exist... to have more 4K BluRay players in homes... to get more people to buy 4K TVs and 4K content.

why stop at playstation?

put the Neo in Playstation Neo
oPyh6.jpg

What about software Vita backwards compatibility? It can be an incentive play some vita titles at 1080p
well the titles that don't have a port on mobile,PC, or PS4

Its not going to happen because they want to sell Playstation Now subscriptions.

Ps2 games will continue to come out at a slow pace because of the trophy requirement.

n0razi

Im buying NEO since its an upgrade specs wise.... the other things like BC or whatever would be a bonus

I'll buy Neo if in makes the games I buy next year look better, not because it plays the games I bought 10 years ago. backward compatability is good at the start of a generation when their is the lAuch drowt....but that's it imo.

better performance and UHD blu ray player and I'm in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the only thing they could do to make me interested in it. But realistically I am one of about 4 people who actually care about backward compatibility so the chances of my getting struck by lightning right this second (it's sunny outside) are probably dramatically higher than Sony implementing backward compatibility, and especially disc compatibility.

It's not possible for PS3 emulation on the leaked specs, so it's not going to happen.

If it was somehow magically enabled then yes, but only if it supported discs from all 3 previous generations.

BlueWord

It would never happen, but it would instantly validate the NEO for me. I can't tell you how much I hate having a huge collection, the utility of which is totally subject to generational cycles. Counting down the days until my PS2/PS3 die out, because that'll be it, barring continued advancement on the emulation front (particularly with regard to PS3).

The lack of BC post launch-PS3 units is just terrible and anti-consumer. I blame the audience who continues to shill out money for remasters.

Top Bottom