• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would You Rather: Never Need To Sleep Or Never Need To Excrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I mean, not sleeping would give me back a full 3rd of my life.

Not going to the bathroom might save 30 minutes a day max?

Cyan

Banned
I want to just say sleep... but is this just me or all of society? If it's just me that's maybe a little lonely but still super cool, tons of time to do whatever I want. If it's all of society? Man fuck that, 14 hour work days are probably the new standard.

kswiston

I want to just say sleep... but is this just me or all of society? If it's just me that's maybe a little lonely but still super cool, tons of time to do whatever I want. If it's all of society? Man fuck that, 14 hour work days are probably the new standard.

The standard would be 16-18 hour work days. Or you would just work two shifts a day. On 8, off 4, on 8, off 4. They would make it terrible.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think I'd go crazy with no sleep. I mean let's say in this situation all the physiological effects of not sleeping are eliminated, sleeping still gives me a "break" from my life. It codifies the concept of a cycle of days. I think ya'll are really overlooking what this might do to you psychologically. The entirety of the rest of your life will become "one day."

If I couldn't sleep I'd probably end up training myself to meditate for six hours every 24 or something. You gotta have that cycle, especially when the rest of the world is still functioning on it.

faint.

For those arguing you love sleep, the OP states you won't NEED to sleep, not that you physically can't.

Regardless, nosleep is the easy choice.

Demoskinos

No sleep. I could get so much more shit played from my backlog. Not to mention... having to take a shit is an excuse to take a 10 minute break in the bathroom at work.

Syder

I've never had a shit that took longer than 10 minutes.

Gaining 6-8 hours everyday would make me a lot more productive, also I assume you'd never get tired either so it's like a double perk.

Alienous

No sleep seems like it would become a curse before long. Life would just be one uninterrupted stream of consciousness. You'd probably end up replacing it with meditation, or something to put a full stop on the end of a day.

But excretion isn't a big enough of a part in life for its absence to be valuable.

I think I'd go with sleep but I don't know if that's a good idea.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sleep obviously, so I could be one of those Gaffers who posts in the evening on Day 1 of a high profile video game launch

"Well I've only managed to play 15 hours today, I'm probably only 75% through the game I totally suck lol I'll finish it and get platinum I swear to catch up!!!"

I would definitely wouldn't want to be working those 8 extra hours, because let's be real, that's exactly first thing employers would jump into if sleep wasn't a detriment.

"Go and find a second full time job" wouldn't be that crazy of an statement anymore, no thanks.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why would I want to not pee/shit? They're some of life's greatest pleasures.

Sleeping, on the other hand, is a technical limitation, and not a feature.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sleeping easily.

So much to not do.

No sleep seems like it would become a curse before long. Life would just be one uninterrupted stream of consciousness. You'd probably end up replacing it with mediation, or something to put a full stop on the end of a day.

That's a big potential issue.

I wonder if it would only arise if we start to get tired and lose some cognitive function. If we can still perform as usual, like me on adderall, then I'm all for it.

Actually just give me adderall forever with none of the shitty parts pls.

I don't mind my poops. Gives me time to relax and zone out.

However, sleep is so overrated. Just give me the ability to sleep 4 hours and feel well rested and I'm ecstatic. I'd even take 5 or 6.

GHG

Sleep, easily.

I've had 5 hours sleep in the last 2 days due to commitments I've made to clients. Since I run my own business there is nobody else to pick up the slack so gotta do what you gotta do. Sleep and being tired is currently the burden of my existence.

I'd make so much fucking money if I didn't have to sleep.

Foxix Von

I'm gonna need more details on "excrete." Is the implication that I would be unable to, or able to and just not NEED to. Because being incapable of excreting anything would suck. No saliva, no natural oils, being unable to ejaculate.... Yeah that's a BAD time. Besides my partner is into the smell of my sweat so losing my man funk would be a turn off. 🤔

Sulik2

I have IBS-D I think I would take excrete. Living 33% more of life isn't worth it I have crippling intestinal issues for that extra time. As much I would love to not have to sleep, I'd take the excrete option.

Not sure if no sleep is so good though. I can imagine that some people could lose their sanity preeeetty fast.

Unless you're born like that. Then no sleep of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom