• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm hoping for Roman Reigns coming out to Balor's music and wearing his makeup.

I'm just a tourist at this point, I don't care if it all burns down after I leave.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm not sure how I feel about this gimmick where Jinder Mahal's skin looks like one of those gross closeups from Ren and Stimpy

J-Rzez

I'm hoping we get a nice Styles-Balor feud to kick off the post-Mania cycle.

Nakamura and AJ was written in stone. If not. I'd be shocked, and, angry as hell. I like Balor, but he doesn't have the charisma of Nak. Valor and Seth are same level.

I rather enjoyed that. Was great to see Balor back. My daughter apparently loves him. Angle could be fun as GM. Braun/Brock could be interesting, but there is no way they put the title on Braun.

J-Rzez

I'm worried about the roster shakeup next week. AJ might go to Raw.

Well, that's good and bad. SD has been the better show I think, but that may be in part to having the talent. If that shift happens, hopefully we don't see Nak tomorrow. And hopefully he's not drafted, but instead surprise called up out of no where for effect.

But worst case, tomorrow if AJ runs his mouth Nak comes out, they fight, then both end up together where ever.

Syder

They've been teasing Sami to SmackDown for so long now and I can't fucking wait to see him in the Wrestling Land of Opportunity.

Hahahaha. Love it. Roman gets a bigger and longer reaction from these die hard, hardcore fans than their idol Undertaker gets for retiring. It's also funny looking at the crowd as they boo him. They don't even realize how much the WWE has them in there pocket. So much energy to hate and boo a guy because he beat they're very old, shadow of himself idol, who they all knew was going to retire after the match.

So fun to watch.

Syder

Hahahaha. Love it. Roman gets a bigger and longer reaction from these die hard, hardcore fans than their idol Undertaker gets for retiring. It's also funny looking at the crowd as they boo him. They don't even realize how much the WWE has them in there pocket. So much energy to hate and boo a guy because he beat they're very old, shadow of himself idol, who they all knew was going to retire after the match.

So fun to watch.
No.

Ratings are falling. The old fans that have stayed with product are slowly fading away. If you think that reaction is what they wanted, you're mistaken.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

So fun to watch.

You do realize most of the booing is because Vince has been trying his hardest to get Reigns be Cena 2.0 artificially
Nothing natural came out that made fans believe his gonna carry the company for next 10+ years

Beating Undertaker for a rub was just Vince using his marketing ploy/tactic they only boo him cause now he beat an Icon
Nothing else, they just folded it in and are OK with the outcome

The ratings are dwindling
Millennials aren't buying in

Why do you all keep blaming Roman for falling ratings? There is so much more to it than just not watching because of one guy. And if the ratings skew older, than that means those long time fan haven't left. It's the younger and new fans that either don't stay with it or never find it interesting to watch. Or it the old hardcore fans driving them away.

I got back into wrestling because of my niece. She made it fun to watch. Seeing how into it she got was great. So now the whole family gets into it every 2 to 3 hours each week. We watch, have fun, and move on after its over. We've been to a PPV and Smackdown and even a live NXT show. Had a blast. And what strikes me every time, is the people that are having the most fun are the ones that let the whole spectacle that is WWE just make them laugh, boo, and cheer. And after the show is over, walk out of the arena smiling and talking about just having a good time.

Then there are the hardcore fans that just complain the whole show or tell you how they are going to boo this or that guy because he doesn't deserve it. All these men and women in that ring put in some hard ass work to be there to entertain the fans. This bullshit of not deserving it is just ridiculous.

When you're at a live taping surrounded by families, couples, and people that are all just enjoying the night, you have such a great time.

I don't know what the WWE needs to do to appeal to a broader base, but just placating to hardcore fans will just make those fan find something else to complain about. They are not going anywhere. But the stuff some of you in these wrestling threads complain about non stop, is the very same things that brought a whole family into watching and spending money on WWE.

Liamc723

Why do you all keep blaming Roman for falling ratings? There is so much more to it than just not watching because of one guy. And if the ratings skew older, than that means those long time fan haven't left. It's the younger and new fans that either don't stay with it or never find it interesting to watch. Or it the old hardcore fans driving them away.

I got back into wrestling because of my niece. She made it fun to watch. Seeing how into it she got was great. So now the whole family gets into it every 2 to 3 hours each week. We watch, have fun, and move on after its over. We've been to a PPV and Smackdown and even a live NXT show. Had a blast. And what strikes me every time, is the people that are having the most fun are the ones that let the whole spectacle that is WWE just make them laugh, boo, and cheer. And after the show is over, walk out of the arena smiling and talking about just having a good time.

Then there are the hardcore fans that just complain the whole show or tell you how they are going to boo this or that guy because he doesn't deserve it. All these men and women in that ring put in some hard ass work to be there to entertain the fans. This bullshit of not deserving it is just ridiculous.

When you're at a live taping surrounded by families, couples, and people that are all just enjoying the night, you have such a great time.

I don't know what the WWE needs to do to appeal to a broader base, but just placating to hardcore fans will just make those fan find something else to complain about. They are not going anywhere. But the stuff some of you in these wrestling threads complain about non stop, is the very same things that brought a whole family into watching and spending money on WWE.

Just because you and your family enjoy having one wrestler stuffed down your throat every week, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

He does not deserve his current position, he has been pushed to oblivion by Vince.

Syder

Why do you all keep blaming Roman for falling ratings?
No one blames Roman. WWE has fucked itself over for years and years of terrible booking decisions, this dates back far before The Shield.

What you're saying is everyone should be a mark for everything WWE do and not critique their bad storylines. That's literally what being a fanboy is.

Okay since this is following Mania I guess I can get a pass on it being semi related..... but man that opening scene of Raw!!!!

I have not seen heat like that since Shawn in Montreal

...he just stood there for like 20 mins taking it, and it was a lot to take, even a lot of profanity from the crowd which for WWE outside of "Holyshit" it's rare. The heat was so bad that even the commentators had to piont that people cheers the bad guys and boo the good guys.... he just took and embraced it, I was actually feeling bad for him

But without spoiling he made the most perfect reply

Just because you and your family enjoy having one wrestler stuffed down your throat every week, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

He does not deserve his current position, he has been pushed to oblivion by Vince.

So if "insert name of wrestler you think deserves it here" gets pushed you will all of a sudden think WWE is now great? "Stuffed down your throat", what a joke. The same wrestlers are pretty much on every Raw and Smackdown, but Roman is the only one that is "stuffed down your throat" ok.

No one blames Roman. WWE had fucked itself over for years and years of terrible booking decisions, this dates back Pre-Shield.

Then why do these threads always just talk about how bad Roman is? Why is he getting boooed louder and louder. If you all hate the bookings, decisions, and story lines, what is there that keeps you watching? I'm guessing it's the entertainment of over the top wrestling. So why not just enjoy what is good while shrugging off the stupid? Complaining about things we don't like is natural, but doing it every week, show, PPV, etc. is just sad.

ReiGun

Roman isn't the cause of falling ratings, but he isn't helping them either.

People love cheering about how WWE is "working the smarks," but what tangible benefits is it actually having for them? Ratings are still slipping, network sub's have plateaued far below the company's initial desires (they just have away freaking Wrestlemania for free!), they've got next to no cultural relevance outside of their current bubble.

Most people would look at that and say "Gee whiz, maybe the current direction of the company isn't the best!" But instead, we're basically arguing that as long as they aren't completely out of business, everything is fine and lol smarks for not seeing Vince's genius.

No one blames Roman. WWE has fucked itself over for years and years of terrible booking decisions, this dates back far before The Shield.

Yeah their years of poor booking has ruined the WWE. Some examples that stand out in my mind is Cena burying Nexus, putting Punk in a fued with Kevin Nash and Triple H and killing his momentum after the summer of punk. The poor treatment of their world titles like midcard titles unless they are on their chosen superstars. I remember the championship unification speech ceremony thing back at the end of 2013 for a match between Cena and Orton where Triple H was trying to give a serious speech and the crowd drowned him out cheering for bryan that segment completely encompasses what is wrong with the company.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Then why do these threads always just talk about how bad Roman is? Why is he getting boooed louder and louder. If you all hate the bookings, decisions, and story lines, what is there that keeps you watching? I'm guessing it's the entertainment of over the top wrestling. So why not just enjoy what is good while shrugging off the stupid? Complaining about things we don't like is natural, but doing it every week, show, PPV, etc. is just sad.

Cause it can become a great fucking product
Right now it's been in stagnant form with upticks here and there
No momentum built to keep everyone happy

You have a product with no competition mostly in the genre WWE presides in
They are coasting at the behest of an owner who goes on ego trips and thinks he can brute force what people want
Just like owners and professional players, money is made from the players standpoint, not by owner(s)
People come to see wrestling for the stars and storylines, however fractured or broken they seem to be

A lot of us viewers are jaded to a point because for me personally I've grown up with this product
The highs, the lows, the controversy all define my viewing

We get tired of bullshit that's been polished to look like a Diamond
Roman gets the brunt of it cause he's almost an extension of Vince's ego
Created/manufactured with shallow arc type of character, who gets push after push after push, even when fans/old viewers in tow backlash at the premise
He doesn't come off natural

The problem is right now WWE is an identity crisis mode
There really stretching themselves out as a media company invested in many things and trying to stay lock step with societal changes

That's why twitter, Facebook, instagram are always brought up in talks, cause the viewing dynamic has shifted from plopping down in front of a couch for 2+ hours
Was ok when there wasn't much competition in the early '90's to '00's
Internet revolutionized how people now get their media
Your asking people to view 3 hours of wrestling on Monday, 3 hours on Tuesday, 1 hour on Wednesday then you have the other channels showing shows that are syndicated to a point

WWE trying to keep the old guard of Network tv with their PG stance, then PG-13 on Network, sometimes a little Mature when the reality shows its invested in go on
They have not found the right formula to keep moving things along nicely

Only thing I see that looks reasonable and stands out when nXt Takeovers that happen
Show from the same company but with effort and potential there to keep any wrestling entertained and satisfied

Go back to this thread and when Takeover kicked off, people were enjoying the festivities
Hell the first book end of Wrestlemania kept up the momentum, but when they flipped the script to the other bookend side, the old slow boring product that we get on a weekly basis came and took away the enjoyment

We as fan can demand that the product try to keep us entertained, our dollars are invested in them in some fashion
If they keep thinking they know what's best for us, the ratings, people not purchasing Network, losing out to other mediums and older fans tuning out and not many newer fans being created are shaping up to be the perfect storm

Great post.

Murkas

Roman Reigns booing is like people yelling "Wenger out." I want them both to stay just to laugh at people getting salty. If Wenger resigns then no more funny videos for me so likewise, I want Roman to carry on working the smarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom