• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
First-ever first draft is done! Wrapped it at just over 77K words!

Congrats! I am pretty envious of all you people who can edit novels. I have been editing one of my longest short stories I ever wrote to get it ready for some big name horror places at the end of the month and it is loooong process. Doesn't help I am basically rewriting it, but still. Anywho, congrats again. I'd wait maybe two weeks, but that's just me.

It's a struggle with writing for me right now. I keep on having plot issues and not just liking my shit. It's bad enough I can only pretty much only attempt to write like on the weekends. I've been working on this book for far too long and I need to get this shit done.

Writing feels more like a chore lately for me. It's not like when I first started when I chucking out a few pages a day sometimes several. I'm not as enthusiastic to get into it. I don't know what the problem is. It might be my unhappiness, but I was unhappy when I first started, but it was a different kind of unhappy. I don't know. I know I got to correct it or else I'm going to be stuck in this piece forever.

Nudull

Banned
It's a struggle with writing for me right now. I keep on having plot issues and not just liking my shit. It's bad enough I can only pretty much only attempt to write like on the weekends. I've been working on this book for far too long and I need to get this shit done.

Writing feels more like a chore lately for me. It's not like when I first started when I chucking out a few pages a day sometimes several. I'm not as enthusiastic to get into it. I don't know what the problem is. It might be my unhappiness, but I was unhappy when I first started, but it was a different kind of unhappy. I don't know. I know I got to correct it or else I'm going to be stuck in this piece forever.

I feel you. I've been stuck with just doing world-building and making characters with all these ideas I've had for the longest while. I'm pushing to refresh my head and finally get things going, even if my living conditions and my means of writing with just a phone and an old notebook computer to my name are less than stellar.

Chapter two finally went up on their site. Only a slight (6 months?) delay... ^_^;

Will probably get a different cover when I finish the book (I'm told), but got the new serial art for the chapter releases.

Beep beep, Richie. Beep beep.

3EMihoE.jpg

That was one of the proposed story ideas I had in mind, but since then, it's actually evolved into something else entirely that I'm really enjoying and working on, on top of some other ideas I have in mind for this year's NaNo. I'm trying to put in the effort to work on improving my writing and storytelling skills. :)

That's great! You'll be all set for NaNoWriMo. Plans to publish if you complete it or just a bit of fun practice?

No problem, happy to hear things are rolling along!

Getting there. Having a baby really derails a lot of things. The will is there but not the energy...

So, some exciting personal news: I've sold my short story, “The Red-rimmed Eyes of Tóu Mǎ," to Grim Oak Press. It will appear in their anthology, Unfettered II, this November!

All of the proceeds from the anthology will go to cancer research and Speakman's new not-for-profit organization, Grim Oak Shield, which aims to ease and eliminate medical debt among authors and artists. The ToC for the anthology includes some impressive names, including Terry Brooks, Jim Butcher, Naomi Novik, and Brandon Sanderson, so it's surreal to see my name alongside theirs. I'm very excited about the opportunity, though. I wrote the first draft of the story two years ago, so it's been a long time coming.

Some thoughts and details, including a sneak peek at the series of novels and short stories I'm working on: https://medium.com/@adribbleofink/s...rimmed-eyes-of-tóu-mǎ-fc64cad5b23d#.g0dtc8cd2

I also did an interview with the editor/publisher of the anthology, Shawn Speakman, for Tor.com: http://www.tor.com/2016/07/19/sff-against-cancer-shawn-speakman-on-unfettered-ii/

Congrats, yo~ You're in great company and it's incredible news, besides. Love the cause too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is basically me right now. I used to do 1 pg/day and now it's like 9 pages all at once on the weekend. I liked being a lot more consistent with my work ethic. I also think everything I write is garbage.

I started the sequel to my last novel despite not making any effort to look into publishing or add the chapters I wanted to, just because I want to get my ideas to further the story on paper. I'm really proud of myself for seeing an entire book through to the end, but I can't feel confident about it. Even talking about it in here makes me feel like a loser. Like everyone is probably thinking "this guy keeps saying he wrote something, but I haven't seen it/he's trying to hard to sound competent/it sounds like garbage to me." I know that's illogical. I feel like a wannabe writer.

JaseMath

Congrats! I am pretty envious of all you people who can edit novels. I have been editing one of my longest short stories I ever wrote to get it ready for some big name horror places at the end of the month and it is loooong process. Doesn't help I am basically rewriting it, but still. Anywho, congrats again. I'd wait maybe two weeks, but that's just me.

Thanks!

I think I'll dial it back to two or three, fix the glaring problems I can already list off the top of my head (among other things) in draft two, wait another 2 or 3, fix it again, and then send it out to beta's.

First-ever first draft is done! Wrapped it at just over 77K words!

How long did you all wait before you started jumping on edits for the 2nd draft? Days? Weeks? Months? Personally, I'm thinking 3 or 4 weeks oughta be enough time for it to simmer.
Congrats on finishing a story!

I tend to wait one to two months before jumping into the second draft. Gives it time to sit and for me to forget how much I hate my writing >_>

JaseMath

I tend to wait one to two months before jumping into the second draft. Gives it time to sit and for me to forget how much I hate my writing >_>

And you, my friend, are the only person that's read any of it. :D

You beta'd my Prologue months ago.

zulux21

i waited 2 years, but it will be less next time. (I did the start of my story for nano a few years back and then stalled out for a while) one to two months seems like a good time period because it will allow you to forget your reasons for putting some of the stuff in your story and let you question if it is needed.
after I finished arc 2, I have gone back and started reworking arc 1.
I have basically rewritten the first two chapters cutting a bunch of stuff lol.
I lost 2k words on my second chapter which is good.

so far I am averaging over 10k words a week in july which is a solid pace. I'm sitting at 40950 words in july, so I might be able to reach my goal of 50k words. though next time I can write isn't for a few days, but at the same time when I sit down and write I am getting about 5k words a session.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hey so I have a favor to ask. Anyone free to beta-read a long horror short story I have called 'The Hangmen's House'? Offer going on until Thursday. When i say long, I mean near 10,000 words. In return, my general policy is to add your name to a list and I will read something of yours when you need it equaling to about 1.5 the length of what i'm asking, so about 15,000 words in this case. If you're interested in some spooks, send me a PM and I'll tell you more.

And you, my friend, are the only person that's read any of it. :D

You beta'd my Prologue months ago.
Did I?

*Checks PMS*

HOLY SHIT I DID!

And I liked what I read too! fuck I drink too much.

i waited 2 years, but it will be less next time. (I did the start of my story for nano a few years back and then stalled out for a while) one to two months seems like a good time period because it will allow you to forget your reasons for putting some of the stuff in your story and let you question if it is needed.
after I finished arc 2, I have gone back and started reworking arc 1.
I have basically rewritten the first two chapters cutting a bunch of stuff lol.
I lost 2k words on my second chapter which is good.

so far I am averaging over 10k words a week in july which is a solid pace. I'm sitting at 40950 words in july, so I might be able to reach my goal of 50k words. though next time I can write isn't for a few days, but at the same time when I sit down and write I am getting about 5k words a session.
Damn man, 10k words a week is crazy! Keep that shit up.

My first novel I remember cutting five or six pages out of my first chapter. Not sure what that was in words though. God that chapter was a fucking mess.

Delio

So i actually wrote words tonight huzzah! Been on such a lull lately but everyone really ramping up in here put the fire back in me. Going to try to push myself to crank out some Nano like word counts if i can.

I'm going try my best tomorrow to write something. I think I fucked myself with this current story. I didn't think it through as well as my first, which back then I was thinking about all the time even when I wasn't writing. I want that fire again.

Sibylus

Banned
Hello, writing gaf! Working on first novel, and I have a practical question: writer's block. What works for you all to break through or work around it?

Reedirect

Hello, writing gaf! Working on first novel, and I have a practical question: writer's block. What works for you all to break through or work around it?

This is personal, so I assume some will probably disagree, but keeping a solid writing routine is what helped me. It's understandable that some days just won't bring the goods in terms of your writing output, the mood's not always there and even if you're pumped to write something spectacular, sometimes the words just don't come together quite how you imagine them to.

But writing a page, a paragraph, even two sentences helps me to push through the block. As long as any kind of progress is made, I feel like I'm still in control of the story and the wheel is spinning the right way.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I don't have one surefire technique. Sometimes it's pushing through and just writing crap until I find the right thing. Sometimes it's switching to a different project. Sometimes it's just going for a walk, thinking about other things, and letting my subconscious work on the problem.

I've seen some writers suggest that you start plotting backwards from the next plot point until you reach the point where you've got writers block. An interesting approach.

Whiskey and being stubborn. I just kinda force my way through. It's fucking rough and i don't ever want to experience it again ._.

giving myself freedom to jump around within a long story can help. can't figure out what exactly should happen next? burn a hundred words typing up description of some place that I know the characters are likely to end up later. I'm trying to have multiple viewpoints cause i make my own life difficult? Hop to a different one when one gets stuck.

Nudull

Banned
That's great! You'll be all set for NaNoWriMo. Plans to publish if you complete it or just a bit of fun practice?

I've been toying with the idea of doing a full novel and publishing it. Although, I'm nervous about doing it due to my general inexperience and fears of putting out crap. It's been plaguing me forever now, but I realize that I'm getting older now and this is just going to keep me from doing what I want to do in life.

Music helps a lot, and so does looking up art on some sites (mainly Tumblr and Pinterest) for inspiration. TVTropes has also been a big help for me in discovering genres, writing devices and other things that may start a creative spark in my head.

Sibylus

Banned
Thank you for the lovely insights, everyone. There's a lot here that I think will be helpful (though I'll skip the booze :p). Jumping around/music is something I've dabbled a little in that I need to follow up more with. Plotting backwards is something I haven't even thought of.

booze is only good if you want to be a youtuber and have crippling camera shyness / anxiety.

For writing you shouldn't require it, though many writers do have something in its place. Aaron Sorkin chain-smokes during writing screenplays, apparently. But that's mostly because it replaces cocaine, and he loves cocaine. You don't have a suitcase of it at an airport if you don't.
I would suggest something like popcorn instead. Munchable, low-calorie, not too messy.

In my case it would be chocolate and that's a massive calorie bomb, so I might switch to booze anyway. (I won't because it clouds my mind and take away focus while upsetting my gut)
I dunno man. I feel like a classy fuck when I'm sippin' Buffalo Trace on the rocks and hammerin' out words.

And then you read what you've actually written when you sober up and it's "who wrote this shit" time? Because that's what happens to me.

I suppose "I'm fucking Picasso, bitch!" is a way to a first draft, but the second should be sober as shit. Btw, I tend to find that I actually write stuff while drinking coffee, so I seem more success (ahum) hooking a writing habit up to the habit of drinking coffee. Ultimately it's just a matter of forming that habit.
I'm from WI, so I'm a professional drinker. It takes a good bit for me to wake up and go "the fuck is this?"

Not that it hasn't happened before though :p

I also do the "I'm fucking PIcasso bitch" on my first drafts. It's just easier to assume they're garbage (because they are) and not let quality hinder me finishing. I do edit sober. Well, like 90% of the time I edit sober.

Nudull

Banned
Never really got the point of boozing up while writing. You need to have focus when you're writing so that you know what the hell you're doing, and alcohol kind of goes against that idea entirely.

JaseMath

I don't make a habit of writing drunk, but the two times I have were while being wine tipsy and both times, I wasn't struggling to put words down. I don't know if any of it is any good or not, but those writing sessions were rare, beautiful, 2000+ word sessions.

Also, the old adage "Write drunk. Edit sober." seems appropriate.

Never really got the point of boozing up while writing. You need to have focus when you're writing so that you know what the hell you're doing, and alcohol kind of goes against that idea entirely.
I mean, I don't "booze up" when I write at all. I'm not drunk. It's just something to sip on while I'm frustrated with myself.

Which is all the time.

if I'm really, really stuck I'll have a few shots beforehand to see if that helps--can't be any worse than not being stuck--but otherwise it's just for taste and that sentimental idea that writers drink.

I mean, it IS my favorite thing about Hemmingway.

Also, two more rejection letters! One was really fast too. Simple "I'm not a good fit for this" which is at least honest. I imagine if she were being honest and hated hte writing, she'd have told me. Right? Right? RIGHT!?

Other was a "My client list is full" which was probably just a form rejection that's trying to be nice. Hard to say though, since agent websites don't get updated that often. I've certainly seen that kind of "no please go away" email before.

aidan

Another short story sale to report! I sold my '80s coming-of-age via D&D story to Mothership Zeta. I actually sold this story before the one I reported on the previous page, but had to wait until the ink dried on the contract. It's my first pro-level sale, which is very exciting. It means my Campbell clock starts (for the Campbell Award for Best New Writer, which is presented at the Hugos each year) and puts me one step closer to being able to apply for become a SFWA member.

More details, including a brief synopsis, here: https://medium.com/@adribbleofink/short-story-sale-the-penelope-qingdom-1e6c3b0f7cc1#.pdttndxeq

Nudull

Banned
I've been playing with the idea of a fantasy story with a sort of android. Would the very idea be too sci-fi that audiences would reject, or could I easily work around it?

aidan

I've been playing with the idea of a fantasy story with a sort of android. Would the very idea be too sci-fi that audiences would reject, or could I easily work around it?

No concept is too big, too weird, too unusual, etc. for SFF readers. Go for it!

Another short story sale to report! I sold my '80s coming-of-age via D&D story to Mothership Zeta. I actually sold this story before the one I reported on the previous page, but had to wait until the ink dried on the contract. It's my first pro-level sale, which is very exciting. It means my Campbell clock starts (for the Campbell Award for Best New Writer, which is presented at the Hugos each year) and puts me one step closer to being able to apply for become a SFWA member.

More details, including a brief synopsis, here: https://medium.com/@adribbleofink/short-story-sale-the-penelope-qingdom-1e6c3b0f7cc1#.pdttndxeq

Wonderful news. You're going to make it big, man.

While doing my run of querying agents, being told to go away, and feeling depressed, I found one who said all query letters should come with a bio. Paraphrasing:

"If you you don't say anything about yourself, then I guess that just means you're boring. Even if you've never been published, you should mention something about you, anything. Even a home town or high school! I once knew a guy who put his high school on his writer's bio and he got looked at by a publisher because someone recognized the school."

Wondering what y'alls thoughts are on that. I'm thinking of doing this, especially since my current day job pays to do technical writing sometimes. I'ts at least PAID writing. It isn't fiction though, so I dunno if most agents would give a fuck.

See, I've always looked at the bio portion as unnecessary. I'll write one if asked, but that's about it. I figure I'm here selling my writing, not myself. That's like the least important part!

aidan

Wondering what y'alls thoughts are on that. I'm thinking of doing this, especially since my current day job pays to do technical writing sometimes. I'ts at least PAID writing. It isn't fiction though, so I dunno if most agents would give a fuck.

This is absolutely relevant to a query bio.

This is absolutely relevant to a query bio.
Think so? I've seen some places say that if it isn't related to what you're selling, don't include it.

Which is kind of the problem when you go searching for info: No two people say the same thing!

I'm gonna write up an author bio for my queries anyways though. Include the day job money, the video game company I'm trying to start, and maybe the fact that my older-than-dirt cat will outlive everyone on this planet at the rate he's going. People like cats.

Grudy

I think it sounds fine. High tech fantasy settings are some of my favorite.

zulux21

I don't think it would turn me off (and don't really get why people would reject it as long as you do it well), but alas I am writing a fantasy-ish story where the world mostly works with 19th century tech and my main character has a high end computer with him.

I am also currently drafting some songs to be used with my story... so yeah... likely not the best idea to listen to any idea I ever have if you are hoping for market appeal lol. (seriously though drafting songs while writing this. I am 4k words from having 50k in july, and instead of writing my story I have recorded 90 seconds of song lol)

Grudy

I don't think it would turn me off (and don't really get why people would reject it as long as you do it well), but alas I am writing a fantasy-ish story where the world mostly works with 19th century tech and my main character has a high end computer with him.

I am also currently drafting some songs to be used with my story... so yeah... likely not the best idea to listen to any idea I ever have if you are hoping for market appeal lol. (seriously though drafting songs while writing this. I am 4k words from having 50k in july, and instead of writing my story I have recorded 90 seconds of song lol)

Interesting choice to draft & record songs to go along with the story. I know some writers usually like to get some art drawn or maybe write a small poem about their world or villain. What made you choose a song instead? Sounds fun tbh.

Reedirect

Lately I've just been slow as hell with writing my second thriller. I write almost every day, I'm consistent, but really considerate and slow, thinking about every word, forgetting that I always edit heavily once I'm done. And even though I have all the time in the world and don't really have to wrap it up anytime soon, I want to keep advancing the story at a fast pace, not slogging my way through chapters.

How do you guys deal with this, do you have any particular methods for improving writing speed? For scenes heavy on dialogue, I've been toying with the idea of just writing the dialogue and adding the descriptions, actions and character thoughts later. It works pretty good for me so far, but I can only do it from time to time.

zulux21

Interesting choice to draft & record songs to go along with the story. I know some writers usually like to get some art drawn or maybe write a small poem about their world or villain. What made you choose a song instead? Sounds fun tbh.

It's actually a little quark of mine to adlib songs as I walk about in order to sort out feelings with in myself or merely about things I am thinking about. I will often just start singing about something and after 10-20 minutes have a decent little melody going covering the major themes I am dealing with.

It's something I have toyed about giving the main character as well, that at certain points of the story for him to just kind of work out some songs in order to help sort out feelings. I don't want to just write in myself as the main character (I am actually far more like a later character anyways as my main character is more of a hero type, while if I gained powers would be far more watch the world burn type lol.) but I have debated if doing such a thing would help make him feel more unique (plus thinking about such things really helps me grasp what he is feeling. I often get angry or cry when my characters are in such a state so anything that lets me get into them more is better :p). One of the reasons my main character has a computer with him is so that he could record such things, offering the ability for him to harmonize with himself if he wanted :p (I also use it as a conversation starter and a way for him to use his intelligence to shorten the gap in ability between him and others but still)

I tend to write by setting the stage, letting my characters play out things, and recording what they do down in story. Which apparently since I have moments like "my character said X in story and I was like touche character, that does solve my problem." is at least different than how the others I talk to write as they were baffled how my character would say stuff I wasn't thinking of lol.

I also fully know that writing a book it doesn't really make sense to make songs for it. But I am a fan of shows such as Steven Universe, and songs can really help move people. I'd of course only put songs where they fit (right now in redraft of arc 1 the main character has a period where he is walking alone for an hour, that is where the song I was working on could fit) and I am also undecided if I would eventually get other characters involved since the most likely candidates would be females and I can not sing female parts well :p

either way it's not something I am sure I will include, but I figured this draft I should at least try to record some rough songs. (I mean worst case I could include a page that has links to them as cool bonus content that was cut :p) I was taking a shower thinking about his first song and started singing something I liked so I went to record that instead of writing what I needed to get done tonight lol (though I did get a little over 2.5k words written tonight so it wasn't a complete waste). I actually have a ton of random songs partially done thanks to stuff like that. Sadly the melodies are short lived... so if I get something going I like at work, I will often have to sing it over and over and over again until I get home in order to be able to preserve it.

either way, while it is in no way the finalized version (I mostly liked the melody the lyrics need work, and I am not sure if the final version will be longer or not) I suppose I can share the little tune I recorded lol.

I apologize for the quality, I don't have a great mic and I had to turn the sensitivity up high in order to get a good volume since I couldn't sing super loud given the time of day. Thus it breaks apart at times.

(context of song. main character has been pulled away from his world, his girlfriend brought with him but taken away, he also recently found out he was the so called chosen hero. yes... my work is very anime :p)
Song 1 test.

for the record you can feel free to tell me it is bad, I have no problems taking constructive criticism :p (note: I already know this is a waste of time and effort for mainstream appeal, so is like everything I am doing so w/e lol)

I will also note this is the first time I have publicly shared something like this. Most of my friends on steam don't even know what I sound like :p

edit: as for why not art.
I can't draw very well.

as for why not poems.
I would rather sing the poems than write them :p

Grudy

It's actually a little quark of mine to adlib songs as I walk about in order to sort out feelings with in myself or merely about things I am thinking about. I will often just start singing about something and after 10-20 minutes have a decent little melody going covering the major themes I am dealing with.

It's something I have toyed about giving the main character as well, that at certain points of the story for him to just kind of work out some songs in order to help sort out feelings. I don't want to just write in myself as the main character (I am actually far more like a later character anyways as my main character is more of a hero type, while if I gained powers would be far more watch the world burn type lol.) but I have debated if doing such a thing would help make him feel more unique (plus thinking about such things really helps me grasp what he is feeling. I often get angry or cry when my characters are in such a state so anything that lets me get into them more is better :p). One of the reasons my main character has a computer with him is so that he could record such things, offering the ability for him to harmonize with himself if he wanted :p (I also use it as a conversation starter and a way for him to use his intelligence to shorten the gap in ability between him and others but still)

I tend to write by setting the stage, letting my characters play out things, and recording what they do down in story. Which apparently since I have moments like "my character said X in story and I was like touche character, that does solve my problem." is at least different than how the others I talk to write as they were baffled how my character would say stuff I wasn't thinking of lol.

I also fully know that writing a book it doesn't really make sense to make songs for it. But I am a fan of shows such as Steven Universe, and songs can really help move people. I'd of course only put songs where they fit (right now in redraft of arc 1 the main character has a period where he is walking alone for an hour, that is where the song I was working on could fit) and I am also undecided if I would eventually get other characters involved since the most likely candidates would be females and I can not sing female parts well :p

either way it's not something I am sure I will include, but I figured this draft I should at least try to record some rough songs. (I mean worst case I could include a page that has links to them as cool bonus content that was cut :p) I was taking a shower thinking about his first song and started singing something I liked so I went to record that instead of writing what I needed to get done tonight lol (though I did get a little over 2.5k words written tonight so it wasn't a complete waste). I actually have a ton of random songs partially done thanks to stuff like that. Sadly the melodies are short lived... so if I get something going I like at work, I will often have to sing it over and over and over again until I get home in order to be able to preserve it.

either way, while it is in no way the finalized version (I mostly liked the melody the lyrics need work, and I am not sure if the final version will be longer or not) I suppose I can share the little tune I recorded lol.

I apologize for the quality, I don't have a great mic and I had to turn the sensitivity up high in order to get a good volume since I couldn't sing super loud given the time of day. Thus it breaks apart at times.

(context of song. main character has been pulled away from his world, his girlfriend brought with him but taken away, he also recently found out he was the so called chosen hero. yes... my work is very anime :p)
Song 1 test.

for the record you can feel free to tell me it is bad, I have no problems taking constructive criticism :p (note: I already know this is a waste of time and effort for mainstream appeal, so is like everything I am doing so w/e lol)

I will also note this is the first time I have publicly shared something like this. Most of my friends on steam don't even know what I sound like :p

edit: as for why not art.
I can't draw very well.

as for why not poems.
I would rather sing the poems than write them :p

Hey as long as it works for you, then that's all you need. And don't feel discouraged about including these songs at all, I think it's rather lovely and can even add to your skills as a writer and even to your characters. And you never know, if you are satisfied with any song you make, you can ask professional to help you make it into really something unique. I actually find your voice quite soothing :) I think you can start by getting a good mic to cut down some of the choppiness and have better clarity.

Thanks a lot for sharing this though! I find it fascinating when I get a deeper look into how different authors explain their thought process and how they create their characters, worlds and put their ideas in writing. It's always a different perspective. I can tell you really love what you're up to here.

Also, as a fellow anime fan, I'd be glad to offer my help if you ever needed it :p

Nudull

Banned
Thanks for the earlier advice, everyone. I've been nervous because I know there's a set of folks that will likely yell at me about keeping my sci-fi out of their fantasy (being a Pathfinder/D&D fan, I should know), and I was wondering about how often this sort of backlash happens on the literature side.

I've also been considering picking up a Macbook (or just something affordable in general) purely as a writing computer. I have very little experience with Macs outside of grade school, though. :p Thoughts? Suggestions?

aidan

Thanks for the earlier advice, everyone. I've been nervous because I know there's a set of folks that will likely yell at me about keeping my sci-fi out of their fantasy (being a Pathfinder/D&D fan, I should know), and I was wondering about how often this sort of backlash happens on the literature side.

I've also been considering picking up a Macbook (or just something affordable in general) purely as a writing computer. I have very little experience with Macs outside of grade school, though. :p Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you're a Pathfinder fan, you should give Tim Pratt's Pathfinder Tales novels a look. They're set in a fantasy world, but include a huge crashed space ship, androids, lasers, mechanical crab monsters, etc. Sounds exactly like what you're describing of your own work.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you're a Pathfinder fan, you should give Tim Pratt's Pathfinder Tales novels a look. They're set in a fantasy world, but include a huge crashed space ship, androids, lasers, mechanical crab monsters, etc. Sounds exactly like what you're describing of your own work.
I just wrote a book similar to this and I thought it was unique. How dare someone else do the same thing.

zulux21

Hey as long as it works for you, then that's all you need. And don't feel discouraged about including these songs at all, I think it's rather lovely and can even add to your skills as a writer and even to your characters. And you never know, if you are satisfied with any song you make, you can ask professional to help you make it into really something unique. I actually find your voice quite soothing :) I think you can start by getting a good mic to cut down some of the choppiness and have better clarity.

Thanks a lot for sharing this though! I find it fascinating when I get a deeper look into how different authors explain their thought process and how they create their characters, worlds and put their ideas in writing. It's always a different perspective. I can tell you really love what you're up to here.

Also, as a fellow anime fan, I'd be glad to offer my help if you ever needed it :p
I know I need a better mic, in fact for that it was worse than normal as I had to force the mic recording volume up making it more prone to choppiness.

I've been working on my story on and off for 13 years now, so I hope I at least show a little love in it lol. I know more about a number of my characters than I do my friends :p (I officially have 27 chapters done in this version of the story but I have well over 200 different files keeping track of things :p I recently picked up scivanger or whatever it is called to try to condense them down to one easier place.)

Terry Brooks did it. His series, Shannara, began as a LotR clone. It gradually included industrial, then eventually science-fiction elements (Antrax). I thought it was done pretty well.

I'm almost done with the second draft of my story, and it has what you're talking about.

zulux21

for the first time maybe ever (I might have done it in 2004 as well.) I broke 50k words written in a single month.

feels quite good.

I might take the rest of the month off from writing and instead focus on sorting all my notes into scivinger or maybe playing a non free to play video game, I haven't done that in weeks lol.

Top Bottom