• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Had a horrible migraine this morning during my normal writing time. Later I ended up writing a 706 word letter to Friendly's Ice Cream about a recent limited edition flavor they had, I think I'm going to count that so my streak continues. It's only kind of cheating, right? It was still creative writing, even though it wasn't on an actual book.

That will depend heavily on whether you later publish a book titled "Friendly's Letters - Not as Friendly As You Think."

It counts.

Edit - I'm on a cruise ship and sneaking in close to 1K per day on the Sixth Entry. Hopefully when I go back to edit all this before July 1 I won't find I was drunk af and making no sense.

I can find my book in 8 amazon domains including JP

now I have to figure out how to translate my author bio in all those languages

has anyone done this?

Update: I don't get amazon resellers at all. but why?
DC9Mz8rV0AAUCID.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've got a second draft done now, which actually slightly increased my word count, as I expected it to. Got the book out with a handful of readers, so now time for a much-needed break from writing while they work through it. Getting some pretty good feedback so far.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Have a piece out in the latest issue of Orion magazine:

6 Degrees of Interconnection

100% Kevin Bacon free.

Congrats. Gave it a read and it was pretty good. I'm not usually a fan of stories with a stylistic gimmick like this unless they work and luckily I thought this worked very well. Good job. Honestly, your success has been inspiring me to be more aggressive in my short story projects. Thanks for constantly moving forward Bork Bork.

I start editing Toyland again in a week. Wondering if I should track down some Stephen King to read to get me amped up. He usually does.

First three chapters and the last three need work, but the rest is fairly solid. Hoping to fix what needs to be fixed so my last pass can just be grammar.

Hi all, amateur wanting to pick your brains over writing techniques here.

In writing the next chapter for my latest fanfic (real life put that on hold for a hit so glad I could get back to it) I was reminded of the usual patter of my writing style. I work out what I want to happen, think of the steps of how it'll get there, then write that, with embellishments filling things out. Is that pretty typical for how you guys write?

I guess the problem with that is the characters really need their own voice for the depth to come out, which is probably a factor as to why I keep writing adaptations of existing things and fall short of making anything original. I've wondered if that means I'd be better of reverse engineering a story- make a world and a bunch of characters, then adapt that into a narrative. Although I have quite a few notes on things that never really joined together into something I would write. Maybe I need to make even more notes, I dunno.

Writing Challenge Update!

To celebrate me turning the big 5-0 this weekend, Knight Prudent, the 5th Entry in the Knight's Journal, is free.

That's right ... Entry 5, 0 Dollars. 5-0. What a marketing genius I am, right? It hasn't sold a single copy, but seems to be climbing in the free ranks.

In more news, Entry #6, Knight Dependent, went live today! So... whew! Halfway there. Six months, six novellas, all ~30K.

And I am having a fucking blast writing it. Seriously.

Sales still suck. I get the occasional purchase. I get the occasional pages read on Kindle Unlimited. Kinda sucks, but I'm not necessarily doing it for the money. That being said, I actually am quite fond of what I'm writing, and the legend I'm giving a new twist to (because the legend itself has been a favorite of mine for a very long time). So, like I said, having a blast... just wish more people were reading along and having a blast with me.

FlowersisBritish

Dropping this article from Submittable about some common things to avoid when writing about POC characters. I'm guilty of a few of these, so I think it be good to drop it over here since I'm sure we could all use a bit of a reminder on how to be tactful :p

Hi all, amateur wanting to pick your brains over writing techniques here.

In writing the next chapter for my latest fanfic (real life put that on hold for a hit so glad I could get back to it) I was reminded of the usual patter of my writing style. I work out what I want to happen, think of the steps of how it'll get there, then write that, with embellishments filling things out. Is that pretty typical for how you guys write?

I guess the problem with that is the characters really need their own voice for the depth to come out, which is probably a factor as to why I keep writing adaptations of existing things and fall short of making anything original. I've wondered if that means I'd be better of reverse engineering a story- make a world and a bunch of characters, then adapt that into a narrative. Although I have quite a few notes on things that never really joined together into something I would write. Maybe I need to make even more notes, I dunno.

This feels like a two part question. So first part, as to how i generally write stories is; kinda? I generally try and figure out a few key story beats that I think would be interesting to read. As a general rule for me, if I don't think the beat is interesting, I don't think the reader will either. But I don't really look at the stuff in-between as embellishing? I prefer to try and naturally feel out the lead up to the story beats. What needs to happen to set up the story getting there? How does the character need to change for this to be important? What can happen in-between to justify this change? What feels like it should happen right now? These are the kind fo questions I tend to ask to flesh out the in between bits of the flurry of first ideas.

The second question is how to do different character voices and well.... write characters? When you first start writing your own characters, they all always sound rather samey at first, but if you've got an eye for it(or if not, find someone who does) try and figure out why they sound the same and go against that. Try different stories that require different kinds of protagonists; heroic characters, wistful romantics, absolute scumbags. I personally believe the more variety you write, the better a feel you get for just how many different styles of voices there are out there.

To celebrate me turning the big 5-0 this weekend, Knight Prudent, the 5th Entry in the Knight's Journal, is free.

That's right ... Entry 5, 0 Dollars. 5-0. What a marketing genius I am, right? It hasn't sold a single copy, but seems to be climbing in the free ranks.

In more news, Entry #6, Knight Dependent, went live today! So... whew! Halfway there. Six months, six novellas, all ~30K.

Sales still suck. I get the occasional purchase. I get the occasional pages read on Kindle Unlimited. Kinda sucks, but I'm not necessarily doing it for the money. That being said, I actually am quite fond of what I'm writing, and the legend I'm giving a new twist to (because the legend itself has been a favorite of mine for a very long time). So, like I said, having a blast... just wish more people were reading along and having a blast with me.

Again, congrats! I hate how I always get super depressed in the beginning of the year and my work output fucking hits the floor. I've only recently started picking up steam again, but even now I am having trouble getting on a good and regular schedule. I hit my last month's word goal of 13,000 words, but I utterly failed the 14,000 I was supposed to write this month. Just want to say, seeing you work so hard and consistently really does inspire me to keep trying. Thanks!

Soulfire

Congrats! You're doing great also happy birthday! I completely understand how you feel about people reading. I've loved writing my current series to the point where I keep looking into writing just straight up SciFi Space Opera, but no one is reading it and I'd kind of like to earn some money.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Congrats!

Congrats. Gave it a read and it was pretty good. I'm not usually a fan of stories with a stylistic gimmick like this unless they work and luckily I thought this worked very well. Good job. Honestly, your success has been inspiring me to be more aggressive in my short story projects. Thanks for constantly moving forward Bork Bork.

Thanks! I'm glad the work helps pushes others to work at their own craft. It helps motivate me to keep going too, especially when I've been in a bit of a creative rut in the last few months.

So through July I'm hoping to craft a query letter that'll get my first novel, Death Eternal, a look in with agents and publishers. Here's my 1st, rough draft, in case anyone has any feedback they think would be helpful. I haven't written a query in over a year at this point, and I've mainly written queries for screenwriting agents/producers, which is much more formulaic as I came to understand. Any feedback
Unless it's, you know, overly mean
is welcome and greatly appreciated.

"Dear ???,

It is often assumed mankind will advance endlessly. That our technological and social progression is boundless. In the 21st century mankind came close to achieving the Golden Age, a time where the world would be united and prosperity would extend to all. The world unified into a singular government after nearly succumbing to a third world war. It was thought, however briefly, that prosperity was all that lay ahead. But with the death of the world's 1st President we found ourselves condemned to an endless era of stagnation.

Now, three hundred years later nothing has changed. As the majority of the United World Government's citizens wallow in poverty, one young man dreams of changing all that. Kyle Tiefer has lofty goals, seeking to one day right the wrongs of the world and set society back on the path of prosperity. Unfortunately Kyle's dreams are just that. Dreams. For he finds himself confined to a low income food service job, one he has little hope of escaping.

However, as Kyle's paths forward are continually cut off, and his relationship with his fiance dangerously strained, Kyle finds himself the target of two secret, waring factions: Resurrection, a shadowy government organization seeking to use Kyle as the key to resurrect the lost Golden Age. They're challenged by Death Eternal, a terrorist funded, pseudo-military group tasked with preventing Resurrection and their plans at any cost.

Kyle finds himself caught between these two factions, their opposing ideologies, and as his best friend and police officer Leon S Verradi rushes to save him, one question lingers: How could Kyle possibly be the key to mankind's long lost Golden Age?

Death Eternal, the story of Kyle Tiefer and the struggle to achieve his ambition, is complete at 130,000 words. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So through July I'm hoping to craft a query letter that'll get my first novel, Death Eternal, a look in with agents and publishers. Here's my 1st, rough draft, in case anyone has any feedback they think would be helpful. I haven't written a query in over a year at this point, and I've mainly written queries for screenwriting agents/producers, which is much more formulaic as I came to understand. Any feedback
Unless it's, you know, overly mean
is welcome and greatly appreciated.

"Dear ???,

It is often assumed mankind will advance endlessly. That our technological and social progression is boundless. In the 21st century mankind came close to achieving the Golden Age, a time where the world would be united and prosperity would extend to all. The world unified into a singular government after nearly succumbing to a third world war. It was thought, however briefly, that prosperity was all that lay ahead. But with the death of the world's 1st President we found ourselves condemned to an endless era of stagnation.

Now, three hundred years later nothing has changed. As the majority of the United World Government's citizens wallow in poverty, one young man dreams of changing all that. Kyle Tiefer has lofty goals, seeking to one day right the wrongs of the world and set society back on the path of prosperity. Unfortunately Kyle's dreams are just that. Dreams. For he finds himself confined to a low income food service job, one he has little hope of escaping.

However, as Kyle's paths forward are continually cut off, and his relationship with his fiance dangerously strained, Kyle finds himself the target of two secret, waring factions: Resurrection, a shadowy government organization seeking to use Kyle as the key to resurrect the lost Golden Age. They're challenged by Death Eternal, a terrorist funded, pseudo-military group tasked with preventing Resurrection and their plans at any cost.

Kyle finds himself caught between these two factions, their opposing ideologies, and as his best friend and police officer Leon S Verradi rushes to save him, one question lingers: How could Kyle possibly be the key to mankind's long lost Golden Age?

Death Eternal, the story of Kyle Tiefer and the struggle to achieve his ambition, is complete at 130,000 words. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,"
Sounds interesting to me!

Is Leon S Verradi by any chance inspired by Leon S. Kennedy? Haha

Two things I noticed - you jump from Kyle's life to him being targeted pretty quickly, and you gloss over what those two organizations are, likewise, pretty quickly. You've essentially name dropped them and nothing else - I think you should give an idea of what they're all about in your query. Terrorist funded psuedo-military group and shadowy government organization sound like dime-a-dozen sci-fi fiction stuff, and I'm sure what you've created shines in its own unique way, so I'd try to make that more apparent. On that same note, queries are supposed to be short and succinct, so I also wouldn't go too crazy explaining them or showing examples.

Spent the last hour and some change rewriting the first two pages of this book. I think if I can get these two smoothly lead into the rest of the first chapter, it'll be good to go.

Once I get past chapter four, the rest of this editing session should be fine. But man that feels like a ways away >.<

Sounds interesting to me!

Is Leon S Verradi by any chance inspired by Leon S. Kennedy? Haha

Two things I noticed - you jump from Kyle's life to him being targeted pretty quickly, and you gloss over what those two organizations are, likewise, pretty quickly. You've essentially name dropped them and nothing else - I think you should give an idea of what they're all about in your query. Terrorist funded psuedo-military group and shadowy government organization sound like dime-a-dozen sci-fi fiction stuff, and I'm sure what you've created shines in its own unique way, so I'd try to make that more apparent. On that same note, queries are supposed to be short and succinct, so I also wouldn't go too crazy explaining them or showing examples.

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't seen your edit.

I guess I can try and include additional details to either group, to try and better sell what they are and make sure they don't come off as entirely generic. I can also probably add one more line or two to try and flesh Kyle's life out more before jumping to the twists.

I'd actually been looking at Query Shark prior to this and I'd gotten the impression novel queries were generally a bit more wordy than screenwriting, hence why it's as long as it is now (Screenwriting you're taught to just put the logline in and more sell yourself than the script. You include a separate page for the synopsis.) But if you're just saying don't add in like five more paragraphs, yeah good idea :p

Thanks again, sorry I didn't see the edit before.

My only thought with that query letter is, if possible, try to make it shorter. In general I think you always want to go short as humanly possible with queries since agents are reading like ten thousand a year. My best success came with one that had a (optional, sometimes I didn't include it) logline and then about two short paragraphs of story, then a very short bio paragraph.

Hmm okay, thanks for the feedback. I've been reading a bit more Query Shark and that's been my take away, as well as my Wife's. I'm very bad at pairing stuff down. Thankfully that's something my Wife learned extensively through her schooling in India, so she's helping me try to learn that skill.

Day two of editing, but I mostly just want to bitch about one of my beta readers who failed at his one job.

I basically did a "hey anyone want to read this?" on facebook, and he said yes. He writes or at least dabbles, and I figured good to go. Send him the book, he starts reading, and ... stops on page two. He didn't like it enough.

He told me this yesterday after I asked him if he had any feedback for me.

He then wrote up a very long tirade about the importance of character voice and how the first page needs to be gripping or it isn't worth reading. I reminded him that this was a WIP and told him straight up that the first chapter was rough. That at least got an apology, which at the time was all I wanted.

At least my other reader came through. He had less feedback and more glowing praise and how he really had a fun time, which my ego needed at that point :p I think some of my readers like this book more than I do.

FlowersisBritish

Day two of editing, but I mostly just want to bitch about one of my beta readers who failed at his one job.

I basically did a "hey anyone want to read this?" on facebook, and he said yes. He writes or at least dabbles, and I figured good to go. Send him the book, he starts reading, and ... stops on page two. He didn't like it enough.

He told me this yesterday after I asked him if he had any feedback for me.

He then wrote up a very long tirade about the importance of character voice and how the first page needs to be gripping or it isn't worth reading. I reminded him that this was a WIP and told him straight up that the first chapter was rough. That at least got an apology, which at the time was all I wanted.

At least my other reader came through. He had less feedback and more glowing praise and how he really had a fun time, which my ego needed at that point :p I think some of my readers like this book more than I do.

What a great segway, because I once again want to bitch about the site Critique Circle, a fantastic resource for a lot of people, I'm sure, but fuuuuuuuck there is a certain mentality to the critiques that I just abhore So I've trying to bring myself out of a funk and force myself to send out this story I have that got a slew of rejections. Planning on bringing up a few more stories to sending out quality so I decided to go over there and do a few critiques to get the credits needed to actually have people look at my stuff. So I look at this person's short story, and it is pretty good, very well paced, very descriptive, overall, very good, the kind of thing that would do well in the writing challenges. They wanted advice on adding some stuff, and I basically told them be careful what you add, this is very nicely paced and adding too many more needless descriptions would slow it down. Short stories should be, short, quick, and move at a good pace.

A neat thing the site lets you do is check on other people's critiques on the same story, and I think that's actually a lot more useful in a lot of ways then recieving critiques. So this other person wrote a critique that just pissed me off....

This is a personal pet peeve of mine with critiques (I do it too, but I don't think it's good) where people will critique as they read.... line by line... which I do not think is a very good way of doing things, because you end up way too nitpicky early on before you even know what the story is about/what the scene is trying to do/ nitpicking details before you even realize what the big picture is. I try and limit myself on them and at the very least do it after a scene(and look back to make sure I still feel the feeling is valid).
Not everyone has my restraint. I have to reist the urge to throw out a critique if they ever begin with "well..... where are we?" Like, read three paragraphs down before you comment god damn it! Anyway, this one person's critique is everything I hate about this method and it's awful, giving the writer all sorts of bad advice (in my opinion) and being so snooty about it! "You're a writer YOU should be the one to come up with something!" Like they're just asking for an idea on a sentence, calm down.

And this is the thing I hate about critique circle, the advice everyone goes to because they have no idea how short stories work and saying it makes them feel like they have valid points is, "Oh, add some more descriptions, I can't visualize it" 80% of the time it comes from people doing novels, and it is the epitome of people who don't know how short stories work (ie being SHORT!) Don't get me wrong, a lot of times it's valid advice(and a lot of times needless), but this story was more than descriptive enough to get the job done. It was nice and lean and went at a good pace. Which is a thing I don't think a lot of people understand. It is rare for me to hear people on the site talk about pacing. Anyway, the critiquer who I hate said that a bunch and advised putting in a subplot with some dudes in a van (A subplot? Really? In a short story? Are you serious?). I have never seen such advice that would destroy a stories pacing.

Another symptom of people who do the "Critique as you Read!" method that drives me crazy is they always start off soooooo detailed about every tiny little thing in the begining , BUT by the last half to last third, they stop commenting. Not. A. Singel. Thought! It becomes so obvious they stopped reading/lost steam/or lost interest in their own bad advice that I wonder how they can personally stand to send in such a woefully incomplete critique. And this always happens with these kind of overly detailed and nitpicky critiques and I just fucking haaaaaaate them! They piss me off so much and the idea that this writer would listen to this person's awful advice enrages me! Blah!

Moral of the story: 1) Good critiques are actually pretty rare, there is an inherient sense of over-importance(especially from other writters) that your opinon is the most important thing in the world. It's less about what makes the story better, and more about how smart and experience sounding your advice is. 2) I am the best critiquer in the world! I am a master of all genres, people should only ever listen to me!

TLDR; Someone posted bad advice on a website and I don't like it :mad:

That sounds awful. I'll be honest though, it's something I've done in the past. I tend to bow out of criticizing other people's works in progress now because I have a bad habit of basically trying to rewrite the thing on how I would do it.

It's the least helpful thing I could do.

Everything you said the person who dropped two pages in did to my book though. He marked up those pages so heavily with revisions and rewords--most of which I thought were bad--and it's like dude, splitting hairs over a word like "crazy" is fucking crazy. Just at least get through chapter one.

Jintor

critique circle sounds like me on animegaf/mangaf where i just type bullshit as i watch

except it's a critique circle instead of gaf threads

Not exactly writing related but ffuuuucccckkkk Photobucket and this embedding/hotlinking change. It seems like my wife and I's website is okay for now since we were already on, albeit a cheaper, paid plan. But our particular plan doesn't exist anymore and I don't trust them not to change the agreement overnight before our renewal date hits.

Ugh this means I have to move everything over to google photos, hope that the embedding/hotlinking works properly on there, and go about redoing all our old reviews and re linking images. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Soulfire

Day 56 of my writing streak. Writing is stupid and I hate it.

In other news I posted a numbers update on my blog, just my numbers for the year so far. It's kind of crazy how much of a drop I experienced just by not publishing for a year. SciFi Romances seems to require very frequent releases. In case anyone is interested here are the numbers, most of those words were written on this stupid streak.

Books Published- 1 Prequel 1 Book

Book Sales on Amazon- 289

Pages Read- 4,554

Free Downloads- 4,891

Revenue- $653.77

Expenses- $190.51

Words Written*- 96,964
* An Approximation

Do you ever feel like you need help with a plot point in your book, but don't want to ask for help because it might lead to issues later? Like someone wanting money for their idea that helped you. I need some help with something I think is shit. Normally, I would just tough it out until I could figure something out, but I've already been working on this one book for too long.

Do you ever feel like you need help with a plot point in your book, but don't want to ask for help because it might lead to issues later? Like someone wanting money for their idea that helped you. I need some help with something I think is shit. Normally, I would just tough it out until I could figure something out, but I've already been working on this one book for too long.
Can't say that I've ever had that thought cross my head. If I need help with plot points, I generally just bounce ideas off of friends. If any ask for money at a later date, I'll promptly tell them to fuck off :p

If you're really worried, you could develop a contract, but honestly most writers who help with brain storming don't expect much more than a thank you unless they're physically sitting down and writing your book.

Can't say that I've ever had that thought cross my head. If I need help with plot points, I generally just bounce ideas off of friends. If any ask for money at a later date, I'll promptly tell them to fuck off :p

If you're really worried, you could develop a contract, but honestly most writers who help with brain storming don't expect much more than a thank you unless they're physically sitting down and writing your book.

Aiight then, I'll go ahead and ask.

So I have a character hear who has traveled to the ends of the earth and into another realm to bring his dead son back to life. He found out his son who died as a child was sent to that realm's version of Hell. Now at this point I haven't decided how the child got there. I was going through an. There was some mishandling in the organization and he accidentally got sent to that area and the god of death just never realized it. I think that would be kind of whack though to find out through this and it's not like I'm at the beginning of the book.

I was thinking there could also be some secret grudge among the gods about the child being a distant descendant of another god, but I think that might be too much to throw in at the end. I'm just not sure what to do. I don't like either idea.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

So I have a character hear who has traveled to the ends of the earth and into another realm to bring his dead son back to life. He found out his son who died as a child was sent to that realm's version of Hell. Now at this point I haven't decided how the child got there. I was going through an. There was some mishandling in the organization and he accidentally got sent to that area and the god of death just never realized it. I think that would be kind of whack though to find out through this and it's not like I'm at the beginning of the book.

I was thinking there could also be some secret grudge among the gods about the child being a distant descendant of another god, but I think that might be too much to throw in at the end. I'm just not sure what to do. I don't like either idea.
Really cool stuff, I'm toying with the afterlife in my novel as well.

Could be that the child got sent there for something he was going to do within his natural lifespan, but he died before he was able to do it, so he was "registered" to go to hell from the beginning... if you want to toy with the idea of fate.

Maybe his soul took the fall for a friend, or was sent there specifically so that the father could show up there for reasons later (and maybe save them both or something).

I do agree that the distant descendant sounds like a bit much to throw at people suddenly, especially if there were no hints at it until now. But I think it's a cool idea, you should definitely roll with it.

Now give me a hundred dollars please.

Jk

Soulfire

Once again do not feel like writing, so far I've managed to work through the feelings and keep up my streak, but today is another difficult day. I'd much rather read about Splatoon stuff. Planning my first day off for launch day, I might even be finished writing my current book then, we'll see.
I guess I'll go write now :-/

Once again do not feel like writing, so far I've managed to work through the feelings and keep up my streak, but today is another difficult day. I'd much rather read about Splatoon stuff. Planning my first day off for launch day, I might even be finished writing my current book then, we'll see.
I guess I'll go write now :-/

You can do it!

Felt like that a couple of days ago and then I got into a groove and wrote 2300 words over the course of the day. Sorta like when you don't want to work out but then you drag your ass to the gym anyway and wind up having an amazing workout.

I'm a couple thousand words ahead of my 1K/day pace required to keep this novella challenge going, so I'm taking today off as it's my anniversary. Wife and I about to head out and do some fun stuff, go to dinner, etc.

Back at it tomorrow though.

Soulfire

You can do it!

Felt like that a couple of days ago and then I got into a groove and wrote 2300 words over the course of the day. Sorta like when you don't want to work out but then you drag your ass to the gym anyway and wind up having an amazing workout.

This is actually what ended up happening. As soon as I got off Gaf I was able to crank out 1100 words in 30 minutes. Now I'm back to lamenting the lack of Splatoon gear in NA.

Congrats on the anniversary btw!

JaseMath

Do you all do physical copies for your beta readers? I'm thinking of going to Lala and printing off 6 physical copies (5 beta+1 for me). I thought'd be neat if my beta's would highlight/makes notes in the page margins if something felt off to them.

jtb

Banned

Would it be too hackneyed to have it be some cosmic punishment for the father's actions, i.e. neglecting his child to go off to war in a Homeresque way - finding his son is his atonement, whether he recognizes it or not? You'd have to seed that pretty early on, I suppose.

I'd skim the Odyssey and Divine Comedy for ideas :p

I don't quite like the child being a descendant of another God thing. I mean, contextually it could work, but it also feels a little..."BAM" as far as twists go.

What if the child was just a dick? Like, maybe he drowned some cats or something. Bad kid. Sociopath in the making.

JaseMath

First, how old is this child? Second, do something unexpected.

Example: Sometimes, pro sports teams allow a young fan to dress as the "sidekick" mascot. Have the young child in question fall into this scenario. Now, the setting is game night; basketball halftime. The halftime show consists of one of those ridiculous make-a-shot-from-full-court-win-$1,000 type things. The family selected for this game is a family of three&#8212;a father (shooter), mother, and infant son.

Excited at the photo-op opportunities that present themselves being at half-court with the local basketball team mascots, the mother hands over the infant son to the sidekick mascot just before the father shoots the ball for his chance to win big. As is the case in most these events, no one expects him to make it, least of all the kid chosen to be the mascot. However, as fate would have it, the father does make it. The ball hits the rim, bounces almost straight up in the air, and falls neatly through the net.

The crowd goes wild! The sidekick mascot, taken with the excitement, begins jumping up and down, violently shaking the baby in the process. The baby dies. Regardless of his intentions (Hell is always paved with good ones...), the boy is doomed to hell.

How he actually dies is up to you...and this might no be thematically appropriate (it's probably not), but as a reader, it doesn't sound like a variation of a story I've heard before.

Do a little research on Limbo rather than Hell. That is where unbaptized babies go. You could turn this into a religion vs. science thing. The son dies of some accident (involved with the father in a car accident perhaps?). The father, never a religious man previously, finds a new appreciation for faith given the burden of his guilt.

And learns of Limbo. And realizes his son must be there. And figures out a way to pass through to that realm and search for him. He carries with him one thing only... a vial of holy water, which he intends to use to baptize the child, allowing his son to ascend to heaven.

Also, this.

Gnome

I find that if I'm lacking an idea, it's usually because my story is lacking a strong theme. I can usually fall back on my theme to find a motivation for any situation. Can you readily identify your stories theme? Because there really isn't any such thing as a bad idea imo, so long as it makes sense either through plot or theme, ideally both.

For your ideas, a number of themes could work. For example: Loss of Innocence, Unjust Gods, Sins of the Father, etc.

I would write out what comes to mind, and not worry about justifying it in the plot until you get around to the revision stage of writing.

Do a little research on Limbo rather than Hell. That is where unbaptized babies go. You could turn this into a religion vs. science thing. The son dies of some accident (involved with the father in a car accident perhaps?). The father, never a religious man previously, finds a new appreciation for faith given the burden of his guilt.

And learns of Limbo. And realizes his son must be there. And figures out a way to pass through to that realm and search for him. He carries with him one thing only... a vial of holy water, which he intends to use to baptize the child, allowing his son to ascend to heaven.

Thanks for the help SolVanderlyn. I think I might manage to pull through this.

Right now I'm working on writing a cover letter for this job, but on the job listing they say they want it to be informal. That's hard for me to do because I've been strictly formal in all my cover letters for the past 8 years and not sure what to leave out in that case.

Edit: I've had this tab opened for days and didn't realize until just now that other people posted. I'll address y'all later.

Thanks for the help SolVanderlyn. I think I might manage to pull through this.

Right now I'm working on writing a cover letter for this job, but on the job listing they say they want it to be informal. That's hard for me to do because I've been strictly formal in all my cover letters for the past 8 years and not sure what to leave out in that case.

Edit: I've had this tab opened for days and didn't realize until just now that other people posted. I'll address y'all later.

Add 'man' and 'dude' to the end of every sentence. Problem solved!

But seriously I'd guess they just mean to abandon the typical resume format and sort of talk about yourself instead? What job is it?

SolVanderlyn

Add hashtags to your formal letters.

#done #WillWorkForFood #BroFist
Dear #employer,

You won't #BELIEVE these ten reasons explaining how good my #writing is!

#1 I'm a #millenial, which makes me a perfect fit for social media

next.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I decided to self-publish my latest story, a novelette about two wizards in a retirement home. It's called "On the Phone with Goblins" and features a caper, friendship, talking books, thieving goblins, time travel, and many other shenanigans.

I had an illustrator acquaintance do up a comic book-style panel to go along with the story:

DEdwON3UMAEwndW.jpg:large

One of the major challenges I ran into when trying to sell this story to a pro-market is that there just aren't very many that will even consider a 9k word story. So, after 6 or 7 attempts, I literally ran out of options. I'm curious to see how self-publishing will go, and whether it will be a good option in the future.

FlowersisBritish

So I stumbled upon this talk between Stephen King and George RR Martin and honestly I loved it. It's so great and listening to these two shoot the shit and talk about writing got me so pumped to do my own writing (Mainly editing, I have a lot of stuff I want to edit and get into a submission rotation this next month). Figured I'd plop it down incase anyone else need a quick pump up.

I decided to self-publish my latest story, a novelette about two wizards in a retirement home. It's called "On the Phone with Goblins" and features a caper, friendship, talking books, thieving goblins, time travel, and many other shenanigans.

I hope it goes well, I'll give it a read later. Sucks that it didn't get picked up.

Top Bottom