• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WRPGs with a set protagonist?

Fou-Lu

Are there any WRPGs outside of The Witcher that have a well written protagonist who is their own character and goes through development? The created characters are definitely one of the weaker parts of WRPGs for me.

Corpekata

Banned
Nameless One in PS:T

Anachronox (though it heavily apes JPRGs)

Gothic and Risen series.

Most of the later Bioware games have more or less set characters, even if you can tweak them to your liking, like Commander Shepard. He's basically Space Jack Bauer in general.

Hopeford

Gonna watch the thread like a hawk. I also dislike created characters - totally turn me off from certain games. Didn't even touch Xenoblade X because of that.

zoodoo

I'm with you OP. I dont like character creation in rpgs. I usually try to finish that section as soon as possible so I can start the game. Most of the time I end up playing with a ugly ass character.

Hating character creation in a RPG is like hating the RPG part of RPG.

Unless you're just talking specifically about the aesthetic part of a character. Which in that case play V:tM-B. There's choices but you don't get to really customize minute details in appearance.

Fou-Lu

I don't hate the act of character creation and I enjoy mechanical customisation. It's the lack of impact most created characters have in the story and on myself that I don't like.

Most video games aren't like tabletop RPGs where there is a GM to adapt the story to the created characters.

Nameless One in PS:T

Anachronox (though it heavily apes JPRGs)

Gothic and Risen series.

Most of the later Bioware games have more or less set characters, even if you can tweak them to your liking, like Commander Shepard. He's basically Space Jack Bauer in general.

You can't even change the character's name in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Just the gender and appearance.

Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't quite as restrictive, though. You can choose your race, which impacts some things like storyline and conversation choices, and the character is a blank enough slate for some role playing.

Unless you're just talking specifically about the aesthetic part of a character. Which in that case play V:tM-B. There's choices but you don't get to really customize minute details in appearance.

console gamers arent used to the style of actual rpg games, since eastern console games that call themselves rpgs are so different, with fixed everything, linear and dramatic storytelling and so on

console gamers arent used to the style of actual rpg games, since eastern console games that call themselves rpgs are so different, with fixed everything, linear and dramatic storytelling and so on

I feel like there is a lot of western games that go into the Role Playing idea of RPGs more so than Japanese games.

You think this is a console gamer thing?

It's a story and character thing. Having a set character is as much about the playing a role part of the RPG as it is with creating a character. Having a set character lets the developers craft a focused experience that lets the player inhabit that role. The Witcher is the best recent example, in how everything from the dialogue choices and skillset to the combat and quests is about being a witcher, and more specifically being Geralt. If the game's quests had to work with a character creator, you can't have that.

Fou-Lu

It's a story and character thing. Having a set character is as much about playing the role part of the RPG as it is with creating a creator. Having a set character lets the developers craft a focused experience that lets the player inhabit that role. The Witcher is the best recent example, in how everything from the dialogue choices and skillset to the combat and quests is about being a witcher, and more specifically being Geralt. If the game's quests had to work with a character creator, you can't have that.

Exactly this. You said it much better than I would have myself.

Budi

Horizon Zero Dawn? As boring as Jensen is he's still leagues above Eyloy
High Five!
He's not boring though, he is a cool cat with sarcastic wit. Which makes him fun.
What a bunch of horse shit. Planescape Torment isn't an actual rpg now? Original Deus Ex? Those are PC RPG:s.

You can't even change the character's name in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Just the gender and appearance.

Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't quite as restrictive, though. You can choose your race, which impacts some things like storyline and conversation choices, and the character is a blank enough slate for some role playing.

On the subject of Dragon Age, 2's protagonist Hawke, whilst having their sex and appearance open for the player to decide, leads an almost identical start to life, will end each of their key moments in each chapter of the story in almost identical ways regardless of dialogue choices, and ultimately end their story with the same set of circumstances. To an extent, you could argue Hawke could be one, though nowhere near as solid a choice as to compare him/her to Geralt.

It's harder than I first imagined when I came into this thread.

Wulfram

Renegade Shepard is Jack Bauer. Paragon Shepard is more... Kirk maybe?

You can change the character's first name in MEA, just like you can in the other Mass Effect games

Varna

Nameless One from Planescape: Torment.

This doesn't really fit. When people say "set" main character they mean personality and all.

Mass Effect is the only game that really fits this I think. Generally, all you can be is good guy Shepard or asshole Shepard (that is still doing everything for the greater good).

Ironically the Witcher series despite having a "set" character gives you more options then a lot of games without a set main character.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I prefer a defined character even if there are choices as it lets a lot of the story elements play with that characters strengths and weakness, their attitude and outlook and so on. A blank slate character usually lets you do that but never to the same levels of having a named character with a distinct history, outlook, and so on.

DemWalls

If we assume that Souls-type games are WRPGs - as is often discussed - then Lords of the Fallen definitely has a set protagonist, however what's mentioned in the OP (well written, development...) doesn't really apply to him. He's not exactly memorable.

Varna

I prefer a defined character even if there are choices as it lets a lot of the story elements play with that characters strengths and weakness, their attitude and outlook and so on. A blank slate character usually lets you do that but never to the same levels of having a named character with a distinct history, outlook, and so on.

Try out Fallout: New Vegas. You build your characters background as you go through dialogue. You are given options establish that you know things, been to places, etc. Pretty clever way to do it.

Fou-Lu

Try out Fallout: New Vegas. You build your characters background as you go through dialogue. You are given options establish that you know things, been to places, etc. Pretty clever way to do it.

New Vegas is a good example of a game with a character creator managing to do the main character arc well. Pillars of Eternity also from Obsidian tries to do the same thing, but I don't know if it succeeds quite as well.

Desi

Of Orcs and Men
Mars: War Logs
Technomancer
Game of Thrones
Etc

Pretty much any game from that studio , spiders/cyanide

Also Rise of the Argonauts

Phu

Banned

Nah, some people want to role play a character rather than role play their character.

PSqueak

Banned
You might be able to customize the character, but you're a specific character in Mass effect games: Shepard or the Ryders.

Szadek

Gonna watch the thread like a hawk. I also dislike created characters - totally turn me off from certain games. Didn't even touch Xenoblade X because of that.
Does that mean that you never played the holy grail of RPG's known as Baldurs Gate 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I have and aside from the stuff that happens directly before the beginning of the game the characters actual history is of little importance for the most part and doesn't have a personality except the one you give him/her which is still admittedly not all that much. I love New Vegas by the way but the main character is not a reason for that and its because he/she is basically a blank slate.

Hedge

I like Aloy. :(

Shadow of Mordor also has a set protag, though he is pretty shallow. Maybe the second will be better.

autoduelist

It's a story and character thing. Having a set character is as much about the playing a role part of the RPG as it is with creating a character. Having a set character lets the developers craft a focused experience that lets the player inhabit that role. The Witcher is the best recent example, in how everything from the dialogue choices and skillset to the combat and quests is about being a witcher, and more specifically being Geralt. If the game's quests had to work with a character creator, you can't have that.

While I generally agree with your assessment, I just wanted to note I never feel like I'm "playing a role" when I'm playing a fixed character. I don't connect 'as' the character, it's more like I'm seeing someone else's story. I'm not 'role playing' as Aloy or Gestalt, rather, I'm just along for the ride, a watcher looking in.

Whereas I -love- blank slate RPGs. It doesn't matter that the story often isn't as deep [because you leave far more room for the player to decide what to do instead of creating 'focused experiences', as you call them], it's that I can let myself 'be' the characters.

I find far more investment in my hand rolled 'rogue turned paladin' that resides mostly in my head than I do if you hand craft me a story.

If my hand rolled, custom named, group of 4 blank slate characters [half-Ogre! grizzled warrior! fire mage! healer!] find themselves too deep in a dungeon and need to get out, pronto, before they get party-wiped and I lose them to permadeath... I legitimately care. I invested hours upon hours into them. I literally don't care if [insert Gestalt or Aloy or any pre-made character] dies, because it's just reload and retry... they aren't going anywhere. I didn't make them. I'm just following along with them.

Top Bottom