• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Borderlands 2 not COD enough, should be priced the same as Nascar Unleashed

therapist

WSJ blog isn't written for gamers, it's written for non-gamers who play games. I don't see anything wrong with their perspective or viewpoint, even if I disagree - they're entitled to their opinion from their side of the tracks and that's okay. This isn't some massive slight - this is just the way the game is perceived.

I agree, except they say COD of MOH sp is better , when those are short and shitty compaigns. Thats just inexcusable.

shiv_

Hey Gaf: Your reaction to this article is why game journalism sucks. When mainstream press covers your hobby, you nerd rage because they don't like the same things that you do or "they don't get it." So the result is that we get niche publications that get all of their financing from videogame companies, and then you throw your arms up when they're biased or influenced by game publishing dollars. Fact is, we can't have it both ways.

The reaction this article is receiving is directly related to the lack of knowledge the reviewer has of the genre. Knowing a little something about what you're writing about does not make it a 'niche publication' nor does it mean that your review is being impacted by video game company financing.. it simply means that you're informed.

Comparing BLANDS2 to COD/Halo, and then raising a stink about its lack of matchmaking capabilities would be like me writing an article comparing Soccer to Basketball, and then claiming that Soccer is boring because you can't use your hands. How is it useful or informative to compare two almost completely unrelated things? The reviewer makes those comparisons as if they were something that Borderlands was ever meant to do, which obviously it wasn't.

Well I don't buy COD ever, and I bought BL2 for my PC. I'm far from hardcore these days, I hardly get to play anything any more being a parent... If BL2 was just COD again I wouldn't have even considered it.

They should be comparing it to D3 instead.

marrec

Banned
Well I don't buy COD ever, and I bought BL2 for my PC. I'm far from hardcore these days, I hardly get to play anything any more being a parent... If BL2 was just COD again I wouldn't have even considered it.

They should be comparing it to D3 instead.

"Diablo 3 doesn't even have Guns or a way to view the enemies in first person mode. All you have to do is click on them until they die and pick up loot."

jbueGg8HbUOLO0.jpg

Has this guy never even heard of Diablo or something? It's kind of hard to imagine...
Give him stubble and that would be a modern day Fred Flinstone. Luckily Cavemen didn't have the internet back then. :p

TriGen

It seems to me that the game wasn't linear enough for him, and he had no idea what to do with the RPG elements, so basically having to grab quests was what he hated. I'm not a Borderlands fan, but damn, that's the point of the game. I wonder what else this guy will review? I'm hoping for ZombiU, he would probaly lose his mind on that one.

Alex

Well of course it's not COD enough, it's a fantastic sequel filled with creativity and blinding polish that has far exceeded it's prior on every level.

Been a long fucking time since we had a COD like that.

Hey Gaf: Your reaction to this article is why game journalism sucks. When mainstream press covers your hobby, you nerd rage because they don't like the same things that you do or "they don't get it." So the result is that we get niche publications that get all of their financing from videogame companies, and then you throw your arms up when they're biased or influenced by game publishing dollars. Fact is, we can't have it both ways.

What is option b, though? We have enthusiast advertising arms for COD or mainstream press advertising for COD?

Not that I have any real qualms with it, I hardly care, I can just go to niche outlets like RPS and just ignore the sad reality of everything else.

People are not angry about the opinion or because he doesn't like the game. It's because he came up with a thesis that on the front is complete nonsense, and then went on to defend that thesis by slathering ignorance across entire genres of games.

It's not that they're writing about games with a "casual perspective," but that they're writing about games without even enough basic knowledge about the gaming market to actually make their gaming market thesis make a lick of sense. What this guy does would be bad writing in a review of any medium, not just games. Garbage writing is garbage writing.

creid

This is the part that gets me:

I had to go back to Wikipedia descriptions of the original game to remember all the intricate twists and turns of the Borderlands backstory, which involved a couple of mega-corporations, called Dahl Corp. and Atlas Corp. Atlas set up shop on Pandora one fine winter, hoping to find a vault filled with high-tech alien weapons after finding a similar one on a neighboring planet. Alas, Atlas didn’t realize what a hellhole Pandora was in summer, when horrifying alien monsters come out of hibernation, and abandoned the planet. Enter Dahl, which basically pillaged Pandora for the sake of mining its resources, using convict labor that it shipped in. Complicating the already complicated plot, a xeno-archaeologist working on Pandora while Dahl was in charge, actually did find the mysterious vault.

Who the fuck is confused after three sentences? I feel like anything more complex than "see spot run" is a "dubious, convoluted plot" to him.

Borderlands 2 if filled with so much content that's so insanely awesome that it's definitely worth the price tag. There's a very smal number of games that can rival its value. I haven't even gotten to the mid game and what I experienced to this point alone would be worth 60€/$/whatever.

Yes, I probably won't get 100 hours of gameplay that I got from some CoD games, but 40 hours of high quality singleplayer content is worth as much as 100 hours of Call of Duty multiplayer to me. Which also gets repetative unless you buy the DLC packs.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/09/18/game-theory-borderlands-2-fails-to-generate-joy-puke/
As a $30 impulse buy, priced about the same as games like “NASCAR Unleashed,” I wouldn’t have a problem recommending Borderlands 2 as a fun diversion. At twice that price, though, I think it’s fair for players to demand the whole magilla – cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay, scads of downloadable content, a rich social media/community experience, sharing of loot and gear and online multiplayer modes that keep you and your friends coming back until the next version of the game comes out.

That's the kind of idiot thinking that makes stock go down.

marrec

Banned
Eh, it was a little too weird for my taste. At it's core it was a generic RPG though.

Generic RPG with offensively stereotpyical characters and a superficially interesting story. The battles would literally fight themselves if you allowed it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
WOW who ever is this mans boss should hand him his last check and proceded to force him to punch himself sensless.

punch.gif

Aaron

This is like asking someone to review a car when they've only sat in one as a passenger while browsing a car lover's forum.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Gamers should expect more articles like this as gaming expands further and further into the mainstream.

Tex117

Banned
What a pitful review.

Sure you can not like the game, but to not like it because its not like another generic shooter (especially when its really not even going for that) is beyond bad.

Subitai

Kind of giving his pre-explanation as to why it won't sell as well as CoD.

I hope it sells enough to break even and let the developers build on it in a sequel.

kodt

Banned
Despite the valid criticisms of this review, if this game is anything like the first Borderlands, then his critique of the boring repetitive missions is spot on. My eyelids got heavy every time I played Borderlands for more than 20 minutes.

Well that was amusing. The idea that cooperative gameplay is worthless in the face of head to head DM is...novel, to say the least.

patapuf

It really isn't, people aren't upset because he finds borderlands boring (plenty of people do) it's because he gets numerous facts wrong and attacks the game for not being something it isn't.

You don't critisize and action movie for not being a drama. It's just as stupid to critisize borderlands for not being a competitive shooter.

It's a bad review by any standart.

Tookay

I like reviews like this, not because of their (in)valid criticism, but because they usually offer insight into the arbitrary standards/biases that a "mainstream gamer" (the kind who buys CoD/Madden every year) brings to the table in reviewing a game.

Suddenly the seemingly anti-enthusiast decision-making of a lot of developers partake in makes a whole lot more sense. Most devs/publishers are trying to capture this guy's heart and mind, not the internet fanboy.

Blindly apologizing for a review which contains factual inaccuracies & uses terrible sources just because it is "in the WSJ" is a terrible attitude to take.

Blitzzz

Troll of the year. 10/10. Internet posters take note. This is a professional at work.

This yearly cod circle jerk is becoming very iphonesque. Activition has done something very impressive to keep people hyped over small things.

The issue is not that we're getting all "nerd rage" up on that article, but that the writer clearly has no idea what he's talking about and has done almost no research whatsoever

Orayn

The issue is not that we're getting all "nerd rage" up on that article, but that the writer clearly has no idea what he's talking about and has done almost no research whatsoever

This. It's like someone is trying to do a legitimate review of an action movie and bases the whole thing on comparisons to Transformers and Avatar.

This. It's like someone is trying to do a legitimate review of an action movie and bases the whole thing on comparisons to Transformers and Avatar.
It's more like he's trying to do a review of an action movie and keeps comparing it to In Bruges or Drive. Sure there are action parts, but that's not really the point.

Orayn

It's more like he's trying to do a review of an action movie and keeps comparing it to In Bruges or Drive. Sure there are action parts, but that's not really the point.

Yeah, that's probably more apt. I was thinking more of how banal the comparisons were.

Top Bottom