• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Borderlands 2 not COD enough, should be priced the same as Nascar Unleashed

shink

Wow, I have no words. I never realized all games priced at $60 should just be like COD, because that's the best game out there. Right?

Sadly, this is exactly what game journalism needs, we as gamers will just never accept any review or criticism of something by someone who is not some "approved hardcore" gamer.

Why shouldn't the reviews be coming from hardcore gamers? It's not like people accept movie reviews from random schmoes either. The reason you read a review is because you assume the writer knows what hes talking about in regards to whatever he's reviewing, which is why his/her opinion is worth reading.

Wall Street Journal - Your leading source for videogame reviews.

Seriously. Why? What's the point in reviewing content that your core audience clearly has no interest in?

I've read well-written, mainstream-targeted reviews of games from "non-gamer" sites. The WSJ's Borderlands 2 review isn't one of them. That is just a crazy and laughable review, period. The ridicule is justified.

massoluk

Banned
vxzB5.png

What super-hip manga-like might look like.

Grief.exe

Is this real life?

Well of course it's not COD enough, it's a fantastic sequel filled with creativity and blinding polish that has far exceeded it's prior on every level.

Been a long fucking time since we had a COD like that.

Well said sir.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You may be right there. Personally i'd prefer gaming journalism to be more detatched. To be critics first and fans second so to speak. It seems to be the other way around alot of the time.

No,nyou have to be interested in the medium to be able to contextualise what you're reviewing

Ideally we'd get to a state where there tends to be a consensus on the quality of a game,but with clear different opinions from individual reviewers. You will learn the reviewers' tastes and appy a filter based on that to help understand whether you are likely to enjoy the game too.

So in that ideal world, I'd be fine with someone that thinks CoD is amazing to then criticise other differing approaches to FPSes. And then I'd ignore it because I know their preferences don't agree with mine.

What's wrong with the WSJ article isn't that it's critical of borderlands 2, it's the way it states it as objective fact rather than a subjective viewpoint

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The comment section at the bottom of the article almost makes this review existing worth it.

bdouble

As an abstract article, a discussion about how Call of Duty has reshaped the concept of "value" in AAA games on console could be interesting. One might be able to make a reasonable argument that a single player only game -- even one which is, let's say, 80 hours long -- pales in comparison to the value of a multiplayer game which people play for hundreds of hours, and thus the pricing structure should be adjusted.

That is an interesting discussion. This article does not make this argument and does not really open this discussion in a meaningful, reasonable way.

Why is that interesting when the vast majority of people do not play CoD that long. Plus we already know most games are never finished.

His arguments are apples to oranges and a lack of competitive multiplayer just because it is i a hugely popular series doesn't mean that it is required to be in a game in which the focus is billions of guns. Even an ounce of thought would lead him to the conclusion that with a competitive multiplayer mode in BL2 you would have to change some of the core mechanics of the game being the weapons.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This is giving me memories of IGN's legendary review of Football Manager where they complained about not being able to actually "play" the game like FIFA.

I played Borderlands and all the DLC and it was repetitive as hell. It was one of those games that was a pain in the ass to finish.

The main game itself was great.

The DLC... not so much. My main gripe being why the hell did they leave out fast-travelling?

B-But its so beautiful and amazing. COD single player is like what 12 hours if you go around and explore what little you can. . . I put 4 days into my Roland. I made a Zero for fun because I didn't want to do another Commando class. But can't wait for my mechromancer.

Review = crap
Borderlands = Amazing

jediyoshi

At twice that price, though, I think it’s fair for players to demand the whole magilla – cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay, scads of downloadable content, a rich social media/community experience, sharing of loot and gear and online multiplayer modes that keep you and your friends coming back until the next version of the game comes out.

Video games.

DeBurgo

And Borderlands 2 misses on enough counts so that I not only didn’t joy puke, I didn’t even get a tiny bit of mirthful bile in my throat.

well. Ok.

edit: oh, the box literally says that, that's not just the writer saying. Hmm.

I wish I had this guy's job so I can be an idiot and make a ton of money.

His attitude is pretty much the definition of arrogance.

I spent $36 on this game and already spent 10 hours on it.

Why is so much attention/credence being given to a one off review by someone who admittedly doesn't know much about games?

It reminds of me the histrionics that went on around here over Uncharted 3.

I'd say a couple of things. 1) GAF likes to rage against COD-bro mentality 2) The review has some funny quotes 3) Borderlands is actually very popular and sells well.

One of the first reviews in the Borderlands 2 thread was a 7.5, and no one got offended by that. The Uncharted comparison doesn't really ring true.

I'd say a couple of things. 1) GAF likes to rage against COD-bro mentality 2) The review has some funny quotes 3) Borderlands is actually very popular and sells well.

One of the first reviews in the Borderlands 2 thread was a 7.5, and no one got offended by that. The Uncharted comparison doesn't really ring true.

I like the COD games for what they are and I like the Borderlands games for what they are. I think the outrage is over the fact that this guy is considered an upscale journalist because he writes for WSJ, but his opinion comes across as offensive to people that are either interested in the business aspect of video games or the enjoyment of video games. It's rude to put your name on a published review that reads like this. He has a responsibility as a critic/journalist to not be stupid.

Alex

I played Borderlands and all the DLC and it was repetitive as hell. It was one of those games that was a pain in the ass to finish.

I have a list of issues with Borderlands that is a mile long, and a post history to prove that but man oh man, this is a the definition of a great sequel (and, foot in mouth, something I said they wouldn't be able to make several times). With one reiterative pass they've managed to clean up 99.9% of my problems with the original and really make something that backs up it's original concept. This game is ten times what it's prior was. It is absurdly polished, gorgeous, fun, funny, very well tuned with good class design and all of things the first one wasn't.

I'm not saying to rush out and buy it, I don't want to make posts like that but for anyone who digs the concept but didn't gel with the original, consider giving it a look when you get a chance or see it in a sale, it really surprised me how much they brought it together.

Huff

Banned
I wish I had this guy's job so I can be an idiot and make a ton of money.

His attitude is pretty much the definition of arrogance.

I spent $36 on this game and already spent 10 hours on it.

If this dudes job is to write about video games, I doubt he's making any big bucks

Waaghals

Sadly, this is exactly what game journalism needs, we as gamers will just never accept any review or criticism of something by someone who is not some "approved hardcore" gamer.

You seem to mix up you own point.

your first point "the gaming enthusiast press by their very nature have to be in the pockets of game companies, while mainstream press does not." I can sort of agree with.

However, there is nothing wrong with mainstream press having an actual gamer as a game reviewer.

You seem to believe that in order for a publication to be mainstream, it can't have any employees with in depth qualifications.

We, as gamers, do not need a mainstream but more independent publication staffed with a game reviewer without perspective or knowledge about the medium. We need a mainstream publication WITH a knowledgeable game reviewer.

Top Bottom