• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Puma, Jaguar (and Espresso!) are still on the table, though.

I'm not really sure I'd say that. Puma and Jaguar come with some pretty big disadvantages for Nintendo, while providing little to no benefit.

Espresso comes with even bigger disadvantages than those, to the point where engineering it further to be faster probably wouldn't come near being worth the investment. Espresso probably only warrants inclusion for BC and IOS duties, if anything.

So is there some Nintendo investor thing later today or is it another day?

I'm pretty sure the main event is Thursday morning in Japan. That's Wednesday night in the US.

Quarterly results are going to be released in a few hours when the markets close in Japan. Serkan Toto seems to think there will be some sort of briefing to go along with that.

The Corporate Strategy briefing/Q&A is tomorrow (Thursday at 10 AM in Japan) which is probably when we'll get a vague NX comment or two.

IIRC, this is far from the first time they've had a press conference to accompany the results. They just tend to get less attention because NCL doesn't transcribe the whole thing.

Banned
31OxbrPTHNL.jpg

Take away the seams and the Wii logo and you have the kind of shape I'd like the NX console to be.

Shang

31OxbrPTHNL.jpg

Take away the seams and the Wii logo and you have the kind of shape I'd like the NX console to be.

So a bit like the Wii Mini? I think that's good too.

What size are we expecting for this thing? Like, Wii U size, or bigger?

watershed

Banned

Banned
So a bit like the Wii Mini? I think that's good too.

What size are we expecting for this thing? Like, Wii U size, or bigger?
I was thinking if it's gonna use cartridges or not have a disc see it'll be like a PS4 in width but not as long (deep). If it does have a disc drive they'll go s slightly smaller Xbox one look (rectangle).

4Tran

The Wii was a success in every way possible, its only mayor flaw was that Nintendo trashed it toó early.
On the strategic front, the Wii also insulated Nintendo too much from the modern trends. As a consequence, they still haven't managed to catch up technologically.

Anth0ny

they better not make the new console small if it means compromising on power

or low voltage or whatever they tried to brag about with the wii u

no one cares about that shit. make it a big ass powerful box, release a slim revision later on in the gen.

Bitanator

no one cares about that shit. make it a big ass powerful box, release a slim revision later on in the gen.

Bigger than the Original XBOX? that is a tank

Anth0ny

Bigger than the Original XBOX? that is a tank

look at ps4 and xbone, look at how well they are selling, don't be afraid to make a box that big

the japanese market doesn't give a fuck about consoles anymore, so making a tiny ass box to cater to their tiny ass homes (aka Wii U) doesn't make any sense

Log4Girlz

It'll be tiny and super power efficient.

On the strategic front, the Wii also insulated Nintendo too much from the modern trends. As a consequence, they still haven't managed to catch up technologically.

True.

They were already deeply insular, conservative, and Japan-centric even in the GC/GBA era, but Wii/DS' stratospheric success definitely exacerbated those tendencies and killed any chance of making a real course correction when the critical R&D decisions for their successors were being made.

Overside

Banned
I'm not really sure I'd say that. Puma and Jaguar come with some pretty big disadvantages for Nintendo, while providing little to no benefit.

Espresso comes with even bigger disadvantages than those, to the point where engineering it further to be faster probably wouldn't come near being worth the investment. Espresso probably only warrants inclusion for BC and IOS duties, if anything.

I'm pretty sure the main event is Thursday morning in Japan. That's Wednesday night in the US.

Your observation just secured this reality:

8 core 28nm Espresso, 1.6GHz.

:(

Its Schrodingers Chip.

Astral Dog

True.

They were already deeply insular, conservative, and Japan-centric even in the GC/GBA era, but Wii/DS' stratospheric success definitely exacerbated those tendencies and killed any chance of making a real course correction when the critical R&D decisions for their successors were being made.
True, but still we got the 3ds out of it, a flawed but very good handheld platform.

Besides, lets be fair its not like Nintendo is the only japanese company that struggled with HD development.

So we know the possibilities, Zen or ARM.

If we consider Nintendo is cost-conscious (and we cannot rule this out), it seems pretty clear to me that anything ARM based will be much cheaper plus will have the possibility of scaling well if there's a portable system too. At this point, and considering the above, I would rule out Zen but maybe I'm totally off.

I don't think we can rule out Zen just yet. AMD is desperte for money and I'm sure they offered Nintendo a really good deal to put that chip in their APU, but I suppose they would have offered them a good deal for an ARM CPU as well.

At this point, I'm not too worried about the CPU, I think the possibility of Arctic Islands being the new GCN architecture in 2016 would be something to watch for.

Terrell

Saying japan isn't worth discussing is like saying canada, the UK, france, or germany aren't worth discussing. Japan sells the same or more than these countries. Sotware/hardware/console/handhelds

Japan is always worth discussing. I've long held the belief that, in some ways, Sony's heavily Western-focused 1st party lineup turns off many potential buyers of PS4 in Japan due to a thinner 3rd-party lineup of Japanese games than previous consoles that would fill the 1st-party void.

Some people, albeit a totally unquantifiable number, might actually buy a Nintendo console in greater numbers and beat back the "consoles in Japan are dead" narrative, if it was a console worth giving a shit about that offered the same Japanese 3rd-party games, as there would be nothing lost and a strong 1st-party gained in the eyes of the Japanese gamer.

It's entirely conjecture until it happens, but considering it only took a single generation for the console market in Japan to go completely sideways, a generation when Nintendo was at its absolute weakest after being at its strongest and when Sony was deviating more and more from being a console maker geared towards the average Japanese gamer, it's not the most "out there" idea anyone's ever come up with to explain the situation.

Yeah guys, Nintendo having the version of call of duty with slightly higher frame rates and shinier walls is going to make people want to forego purchasing it on their existing ps4 so they may rush out to buy a 400 dollar Nintendo core box so that they can avoid playing it with their friends. In this reality, the same people avoid gaming pcs for their graphical needs.

I'm not entirely sure anyone anywhere in this thread EVER said Nintendo would release a $400 core box, or anything close to that. So while I know you're going to extremes to make a point, you've basically blown past even the most radical of proposals made by the vast majority of the thread to do so.

I think Wii U = "Ok, ok I get it now" for Nintendo with the NX.

At this point, they damn well better have.

It is necessary because most people in this thread are blind. A parity machine is going to get Nintendo NOWHERE. A machine 20% better is getting them nowhere. Likewise 50% or 100%. They need something so far beyond PS4/XBO to capture that market it's impossible. Nintendo mindshare with "core" Western gamers has completely and utterly dissolved and it's Nintendo's doing.

The best they can hope for is to hit parity or a bit more, make a bit of cash and slowly change the attitude of gamers over a 2-3 generations.

This doesn't mean Nintendo is doomed or any crap like that, they will be successful and live. But if people here think Nintendo is going to rise from the ashes in the minds of Western core gamers and Western publishers they need a reality check. The only way that will happen with tonnes of cash put into marketing and buying ports for third parties.

You'll have to forgive me, I wasn't aware anyone in here was actually saying that these things magically solve all of Nintendo's problems. I'll require some cited examples of this that make it a large enough sample to apply to "most people".

If anything, people are saying it's the baseline they need to reach to even HOPE to achieve any sort of upswing from their current situation and to stop the hemorrhaging of their hardcore fanbase, who became rather exhausted with the Wii and Wii U years.

I'm optimistic, but I'm not stupid, this is Sony's generation to win. But Nintendo have to start making ground and changing the conversation sometime and the best time to start is right fucking now. Because as a Nintendo fan, Wii U being what it was is enough to make me walk if they don't start giving me what I want in their business approach as well as their software titles.

Probably because he felt that it was the only way people will get that it doesn't matter if NX has power parity and COD and FIFA and AC, it won't make any difference. I love Nintendo games but Nintendo as a brand 25-30 years ago was cool. It isn't now. It's for kids. And nerds who like to dress up as Link. And people who like Nintendo games to the extent that they're prepared to drop 300 on a console where they'll need to drop another 300 on a console if they want to play GTA or Bloodborne or Minecraft or MGS. I fall into the latter category. Most people don't fall into any of these categories.

And Japan, which isn't nearly as bogged down in these notions of Nintendo as a brand. But I forgot, we've already mentioned that Japan and all the gamers of that island nation aren't even remotely relevant to the discussion. Because... reasons?

It was a shit post, sure... But did my point come across? Would Nintendo better focus on trying to peel people away from the ps4 by doing what they *dont* do, or would they be better doing trying to appeal to a different audience?

Those aren't mutually exclusive things, you realize that, right?

To focus on both, you're going to have to quantify how developers like epd Tokyo and the Mario kart team etc etc to produce some expensive M rated aaa murder simulators with a ton of expensive marketing To attract that audience to the console. People who are suggesting that they just stick some ps4-like parts in the console and magic happens and all is well with the core market and all (or even most) western third party support returns really do need to face reality.

Point me to this plurality of people who think so. I'm curious where you think they are. Because an overview here is that people are conflating optimism and positivity with "ZOMG 100 MILLION SOLD CONFIRMED!!!", which is a fallacy of the highest order.

This is literally the very first console generation that does not feature a market leader with a shit ton of poorly-selling shovelware.

This is actually a topic that, on its own, could be discussed at length in another thread. We as enthusiasts hate shovelware. But with that software floating into the mobile space instead, what are console makers going to do without the revenue they make on licensing from that software? It's not like we'll buy more games to pick up that slack, because we've already seen that isn't happening.

I'm actually almost worried that the shovelware isn't there in the volume we'd normally see.

I don't think they are to be honest and I'm not talking about just this thread. I'm talking about Bosman and the other media I'm hearing/reading. The point being we know FUCK ALL about the NX. "industry leading chips" means next to nothing. I mean NOTHING. That could be anything from a cellphone chip to a high end discrete GPU.

Yep, developers in the console software industry are really going to call a cell phone chip an "industry leader". Makes total sense. No holes in that argument whatsoever.

Also, please point me to this media you're hearing/reading. Because Bosman isn't saying what you think he's saying.

Are you talking about SONY or Nintendo when you say "Trying to make it seem like hardware that's less impressive is part of their "DNA" is laughable, "

I'm talking about Sony. Clearly you didn't read what I wrote. I make no bones about how Nintendo's penchant to chase the casual gamer to the near-exclusion of the core was going to hurt them. There was an opportunity to do something with Wii U that they failed to do.

But I'm not going to sit and say that PS4 is a typical Sony design or a typical Sony business model. It clearly isn't.

Where did you hear that SONY knew what MS was targeting?

Please, even GAF knew what "Durango" was before Microsoft talked about it, Xbox One's spec targets were the worst-kept secret in the industry.

Yes they are forced to change. So lets look at the evidence. They have partnered with Japanese companies. They have got into theme park licensing. They have made Amiibos. They are making mobile games. Tell me where ANY of that means they are making a parity or + console?
Merging studios and the handheld+console divisions means nothing more than they can save money on OS and other software. Where does that point to parity+?

You argued that there was no evidence that Nintendo was changing its business model and therefore that meant that there was no possibility that they would make hardware at parity with current offerings. I refuted that assertion and that your evidence of impossibility was invalid. Nothing more.

And no one can argue that the alternative would bury Nintendo even deeper in the muck than they already are, so even self-preservation of their business would dictate that it's a strong possibility.

I will have to look at Bosman again because I don't recall him thinking "We'll get a PS4 NX". But either way my comment was broader. Nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing has shown us that Nintendo is going for a parity+ console. The only thing we have is "industry leading chips" which I've said before, at the moment, is worthless.

Based on a logical fallacy and not what you were originally arguing in the first place, but OK.

I'm not convinced the engineering effort was costly vs the money they saved by using beefed up old tech

Doing what they did with the architecture was basically bending PowerPC to do things it was never originally designed to do, at a time when no investment was being made to improve that architecture. IBM was leaving it for dead had Nintendo not asked for something new.

Yeah, it wasn't as simple as just dumping in more hertz and calling it a day like you think.

No it's not a necessity. Because there are infinite ideas out there and Nintendo are fucking smart motherfuckers. If anyone can find a new market and tap into it whilst generating massive profits it's Nintendo.

I'm a bit confused... you believe that Nintendo will come up with some secret-sauce way of driving people to buy their hardware, when they've only achieved that... twice in the console space (NES, Wii) in their 30 year history under VERY different and more highly favourable market conditions?

... K?

Whatever. I still don't think they will necessarily hit PS4 level. In fact, what I'm saying is that there is NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that really tells us that they will hit PS4 level. Again I'll say that "industry leading chips" means nothing. N O T H I N G. It's about as useful as Reggie talking about the Wii U and saying "Wii U will be 1080p". Everything thought "WOW! Awesome" because they expected X but it really meant Y.

And yet there's nothing that suggests the opposite, either, as most "evidence" that points to it can essentially be tossed over the shoulder now. You might recall, but the last time Nintendo had its worst-selling console ever and were hearing whispers that their handheld stronghold was in jeopardy, everyone expected them to "do what they've always done, only this time it'll work! Honest!" And then the Wii and DS happened and changed the way everyone looks at them, for better AND worse.

You're saying that historical evidence has value, but pick out the part where they're in an even WORSE situation than the GBA/Gamecube era and just as likely to turn their entire business on its head, just like they did the last time that happened. That seems rather convenient.

Everything we think we know about Nintendo can essentially be thrown out, at this point. There's no way to know what will happen by history alone. We can only base what will happen next by what we're hearing now. And what we're hearing now is painting a different picture than the Wii-era Nintendo we have retroactively determined that they always have been.

One would imagine that there will be game the portable will not run like Zelda and certain AAA games.

Perhaps, but they'd be as few and far between as possible.

Yes. Because the ps4 being a metric means you're going to have similar costing. I don't see a ps4 costing 200 dollars to build so they can sell for 250 in 6-9 months when they're going to start building these things. Especially considering the possibility that they're going for amd tech, which is on the same node that they've been since 2011. Your only possibility of a build cost to come anywhere close to your 250 figure AT RETAIL (which has to include retailer cut and ship/packing costs) is if they're not including an optical drive or onboard storage, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 in build cost.

Which, based on their business model, is a high likelihood. But more importantly...

My fear is that if they go for PS4 performance, they'll price them out of the one market they're good at controlling - the youth market.

Nintendo sets the retail price, the cost doesn't determine that. They've already eaten losses on hardware thanks to Wii U, they can just as easily do it again. Mid-cycle hardware is not intended to be sold at a loss, as that's when you recover any losses you might have taken at the start, but launch hardware is definitely intended to not make much money.

If it costs them $300 and they want to sell it for $250, nothing is stopping them from doing that, so long as their business plan allows that loss to be quickly recovered. It all comes down to what components they use, if their associated manufacturing costs decrease fast enough and whether Nintendo believes they can gain a healthy attach rate shortly after launch to recoup that loss.

They're not bound by fate to make money on the hardware they sell at launch; only to ensure it makes them more money than they lost by the end of the generation.

Turrican3

[interesting tech stuff]
so there's not much more for them to gain by merging them together.
Thanks for the long explanation!

The latter - having separate chips that can run the same(-ish) software infrastructure makes more business sense (see Thraktor's post quoted below, if you haven't already)
Yep, I did.
But then, one has to wonder, what could Nintendo gain by choosing Zen for the home form factor other than an hypothetical (?) outrageously good deal due to AMD current state.

I mean, I understand that Zen is an x86 solution, while K12 has ARM cores. So, shouldn't we expect K12 to be a better choice between the two?

Nintendo sets the retail price, the cost doesn't determine that. They've already eaten losses on hardware thanks to Wii U, they can just as easily do it again.
WiiU and 3DS hugely hurt their financials as far as I understand, the former being sold at a loss, the latter due to the emergency price cut very early in its lifespan.

I'm not sure Nintendo wants to repeat anything like that. *shrugs*

KingBroly

Banned
Nintendo's not a big enough company to take losses on hardware from the outset. They did it with Wii U because they screwed up hard and pretty much abandoned it from the get go.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But then, one has to wonder, what could Nintendo gain by choosing Zen for the home form factor other than an hypothetical (?) outrageously good deal due to AMD current state.

I mean, I understand that Zen is an x86 solution, while K12 has ARM cores. So, shouldn't we expect K12 to be a better choice between the two?
K12 might have been nintendo's first choice.. Alas, K12 has no chance (based on rumors and official 'de-prioritization') of making it to the launch time window. NX home needs to be holiday '17 for a potential K12 deal, which I don't think will be the case.

Turrican3

Ah ok, I thought K12 was going to make it for 2016 as well, but if the chip is late then Nintendo obviously (that is, assuming NX is slated for a 2016 release, which I do believe) must have been looking elsewhere.

ozfunghi

K12 might have been nintendo's first choice.. Alas, K12 has no chance (based on rumors and official 'de-prioritization') of making it to the launch time window. NX home needs to be holiday '17 for a potential K12 deal, which I don't think will be the case.

How much of a "hurdle" would the fact that Zen is x86 be? From the info i read, K12 would be rather similar to Zen, except for the fact that it's a different ISA. Now, i don't have any idea how big of an issue that would be if we're talking about bringing games over from platform A to platform B and vice versa (meaning NX handheld and home console). But for the moment, that would mean K12 is off the table, and it's either Zen or an A72 chip (or lower :( )?

In fact, would it make more sense to go with Zen, in order to get easier ports from PS4/XBO or go with ARM to ease port transition between NX consoles? Or is this basically a non-issue?

tesla246

Been meaning to post my thought for a long time now, so here goes.

In order to understand which path nintendo is (not) about to take, we need to analyze why the gamecube failed. Gamecube had a lot going for it, and sold decently in all 3 important markets (Europe, USA, Japan) for the short time it was available on shelves.

Imo the top 3 reasons why Gamecube ''failed'' and I'll qoute myself from an earlier post, because I am quite lazy (edited a little):

1- No DVD player and lacking in online features/new popular rising genres (shooters); no attempt whatsoever. Subsequently, no rare support (which effectively threw away all their momentum/name they had leftoever from N64). No Banjo, new IP or even a Goldeneye 2, which could have been HUGE with online support, say 6 months after Gamecube launched. Instead they gave us Starfox Adventures; effectively killing 2 birds with 1 stone (Starfax series and Dinasour Planet, thanks Miyamoto...).

2-Gamecube arrived late at the scene at NOV. 2001 and even may 2002 in Europe, that is FUCKING LTTP (especially when factoring in the Xbox launch at the same time, meaning a high competitiion time frame).
When Gamecube released, PS2 was already 1.5 years on the market (even almost 2 years in Europe) and dreamcast almost 4 years! Thats almost an entire generation!
Now factor in the early next-gen 360 announcement, which diverted attention away from the popular casual PS2, but mostly impacted the lower selling core-gamer oriented Gamecube and Xbox and launched in 2005, it is safe to say that the gamecube never really got a chance to make a name for itself. (same with N64).

3-Low advertisement, which is a recurring problem with nintendo. If their console does not sell well on their own (word of mouth, momentum etc.) out of the gate, you barely see advertisement 2/3 years in.

Now, another quote from me regarding what I believe NX to be:

Something I've been thinking of lately
Now this is purely speculation on my part, but this is what I believe the NX to be:

NX will be their first hardware with its own software solution integrated (maybe based on android). Think about it. The X stands for variable hardware; the software targets a plethora of (android) hardware. It means that any hardware that can run the software, can run nintendo games. Of course, this software program, which in turn runs nintendo games, needs to be bought (or maybe lets you install it for free) for 3rd party hardware (like phones) in order to buy games/nintendo software on that hardware.

The reason for this is to have their own software platform that can be accessed from any device, and can, indeed, be sold a ''billion'' times, as they are expecting it to sell. Benefits and reasons why I believe this to be true:

-A nice single solution targeting all hardware available. The amount of users will grow significantly because of the phones/tablet markets. Remember that nintendo quote where they believe it to sell a billion units? I can only believe that to be true if they where talking about the software solution which NX integrates (but is available on all android hardware) rather then hardware. Because if they do, I can agree on selling a billion units.

-This software programm has the ability to integrate other nintendo programs/apps. Remember that QOL product where it monitors yor sleeping? Lets face it, only hundreds of thousends of people are gonna buy that at 40-50 dollars (price is purely speculative if it were to be a standalone device). But, again, if your (android compatible) software can run on billions of devices and thus runs QOL software, the amount of people you can reach with a paid QOL app monitoring your sleep through your phone is MASSIVE, and can be easier to market through social media on your phone, which you have in your pocket 24/7. Suddenly your app is sold millions instead of thousends.

-Another benefit of this is that nintendo no longer needs to design an os that integrates features that have nothing to do with gaming (movies, MP3, apps etc.) but people whine about nevertheless, as that is all integrated in the android OS. So they can focus on games only.

-This nintendo software that plays nintendo games/software/apps, which runs on android, integrates everything nintendo. From virtual console to QOL, from their mobile platform/handheld games to their console games (which might be exclusively for their NX hardware). Everything comes together in an account-based system and is accessible to anyone. The sky really is the limit.

Through this software running on android they can controll everything: game prices, apps, accounts, piracy, and they have the added benefit (on phones) of the possibility to monitor your software if they ever need that.

Now this is not to say they wont make any more hardware; rather NX will be their first hardware that utilizes their new software solution. It might be a console, it might be a handheld, it even might be something in between. And now with this ARM technology rumour, which is mostly used in mobile phones, I am more inclined to believe this to be true.

Now there are 2 paths nintendo can take with Console hardware, but I believe console/handheld will share the (with exceptions) exact same software library, and because of that we will see mostly launch window handheld IP's such as a new pokemon for reeling the handheld markt audience in. Aside from that maybe the new zelda for console peasants ;).

Option 1; compete with Sony/MS on the console front, games, power, 3rd party etc.
This option is to go competitive power-wise which requires a different architecture than mobile. Think about somewhere between XONE and PS4 (maybe even slightly above PS4) power-wise with a better CPU. I know absoluetly shit all about architectures, but this basiclly forces them to pass on mobile chips, right?

Option 2; DO NOT compete with Sony/MS on the console front, games, power, 3rd party etc.
The goal of not competeing on the above mentioned fronts is to go mobile architecture wise. By doing this they may aim to unify their architectures as technology now allows for it (Iwate said something similar I believe), which means they go for something high-end and ''industry leading'' on the mobile chips front (for the console, ofc.). They will support the hardware with their own combined handheld/console division. On top of this, they shoiuld make it the new indie haven, and their mobile offerings should absolutely be playable on NX handhels and consoles.

Option 2 is the most plausible. Think about it. Dedicated computer hardware (GPU and CPU) will become more and more obsolete as time goes on. Sure, PC gaming is now more popular than ever, but when it becomes less poular, it will be hard to allow production facilities to devote their time/recources and most technology advanced process nodes to a declining market, when mobile chips are so much more poular and will be a healthy market 10+ years from now. What I'm saying here is that mobile chips are the future. We are already seeing this effect taking place: AMD and NVIDIA GPU's are lagging behind from a process-node point of view compared to mobile. Nintendo also cannot gamble and go AMD, which is on the brink of destruction; nintendo needs stability on the hardware front.

Another argument which can be made for Option 2 is that nintendo's main revenue is handheld gaming. They absolutely should prioritize game development and architectures benefitting the handheld (community). The console may be able to ''piggyback'' of the handhelds succes and thus generate more positive momentum with sharing library's thus ending the drought periods which plagued previous consoles. Also, if they are to go for seperate architectures we may see a Gamecube scenario again (for the home console at least) where there just isn't much time for the system to garner attention/marketshare.

Moreover, option 2 will allow them ''frontwards-compatibility''; NX2 software will be playable on both NX handheld and console, much like as is the case on android phones and Apple Iphones. Option 2 also allows them to go for a console without disc drive; they no longer compete with MS and Sony for 3rd party games and there own games rarely use more than 10 GB. the slight increase in cost for 8/16 GB cards may be offset by saving on the disc drive, main board complexity an a smaller housing/ no fan because of mobile chips for option 2.

There is much skepticism in this thread regarding Nintendo hardware and such is to be expected, going by there past. If they are to go for seperate architectures we may see a Gamecube scenario again (for the home console at least) where there just isn't much time for the system to garner attention/marketshare.
However, if they can succesfully combine their handheld/console output, which in turn can be played on both the handheld/console with the same cartridge, releasing a steady amount of games continuously, I can see good times ahead for Nintendo.
In addition, if both handhelds/console can play there own mobile games as well, and piggyback of that succes (which may be HUGE, we don't know yet) they may very well have struck gold once againg. And if they are about to go up against PS5 Xone2? Just release a upgraded handheld and console 5-6 years from now WITHOUT throwing away all you marketshare by starting from scratch: they will still receive the newest games through ''frontwards compatibility'' and thus nintendo's revenue won't decrease dramatically whith NX2 by starting from scratch; some people may even upgrade. Also, by going this way, they effectively increase the platforms life-cyclus dramatically.

TLDR; NX will all be about their integrated software solution and how that fits with mobile. Hardware is becoming less imprtant than ever before, but at the same time more important than ever before; they need to go for an architecture which is the future, which can combine handheld/consoles/smartphones/mobile. AMD (as they are now) sadly does not belong in this future.

Finally, StevieP, your ''meltdown'' post made me burst out lauging, but I agree entirely. Fourth Storm, Blu, others, tell me how you view this post.

The low 3DS sales even with that New 3DS shows that such mid term upgrades are quite useless in gaining new sales momentum.

Or what we are seeing is the new baseline for dedicated gaming handhelds which would be even worse.

E-phonk

Banned
But for the moment, that would mean K12 is off the table, and it's either Zen or an A72 chip (or lower :( )?

K12 is off the table as it has been delayed by AMD.

Powerwise I personally expect the handheld to have something like a 4 core A53 and the console a 4/8 core A57.
That's 2012-2014 era mature technology and is in line with how Nintendo chooses it's hardware. AMD also has experience with both. The A57 setup exists within AMD as the Opteron A1100, although it's been delayed several times.

I doubt it would be the A-72.

The low 3DS sales even with that New 3DS shows that such mid term upgrades are quite useless in gaining new sales momentum.
It bought them a year. For me it's also a very lackluster upgrade, just like the DSi was.
Without software, new hardware is meaningless.

Or what we are seeing is the new baseline for dedicated gaming handhelds which would be even worse.
Despite the upgrade in CPU, it hasn't been used for anything outside a Wii port. You'd imagine if they expect the NX to have longitivity theyd support it more.
Would allow them to do more with the console as well.
I can see every 1.5 years a revision can be put out for the handheld, every second revision being an actual hardware change and the console could get replaced every 5 or so years. An increase in the base specs for an NX game (on portable and console) would benefit the console as well. Gives devs more reason to switch over if they don't lose the entire instalbase

Despite the upgrade in CPU, it hasn't been used for anything outside a Wii port. You'd imagine if they expect the NX to have longitivity theyd support it more.
Would allow them to do more with the console as well.
I can see every 1.5 years a revision can be put out for the handheld, every second revision being an actual hardware change and the console could get replaced every 5 or so years. An increase in the base specs for an NX game (on portable and console) would benefit the console as well. Gives devs more reason to switch over if they don't lose the entire instalbase

Nintendo stated they told 3rd parties about the NEW 3DS 2 years before launch, even 1.5 will be a struggle honestly.
Ever get MH situation, or the PSP and Vita dual launch situation

It just shows that N3DS did the job of extending sales a little longer.

Can we assume that 3rd party games that the Wii U has been getting will be on NX at launch, right? Like all the Toys to Life games like Skylanders and DI? I wonder if they'll make versions for the portable as well.DI had really poor ports on Wii U despite doing well on there.
Nintendo stated they told 3rd parties about the NEW 3DS 2 years before launch, even 1.5 will be a struggle honestly.
Ever get MH situation, or the PSP and Vita dual launch situation
Devs added some support, just not a lot. Smash bros, MM3D, code name steam, and MH4. It's unwise to make any exclusives for it since the power difference isn't that big and the instalbase is tiny.
On NX, if the console does well enough there's more incentive there. As you wouldn't start from zero which is something Iwata wanted.
Don't think the handheld division can keep going like that with no notable boosts in revisions. Phone tech is advancing rapidly and so will the standards for games on portable's. 3Ds has felt ancient for a few years now.

Turrican3

Rösti;183251771 said:
I think there is little purpose in completely ruling out NX information during the Corporate Management Policy Briefing.
Sorry, I'm not sure whether the "ruling out" thing is directed at me or Kimishima instead.

ozfunghi

K12 is off the table as it has been delayed by AMD.
That's what i said :)

Powerwise I personally expect the handheld to have something like a 4 core A53 and the console a 4/8 core A57.
That's 2012-2014 era mature technology and is in line with how Nintendo chooses it's hardware. AMD also has experience with both. The A57 setup exists within AMD as the Opteron A1100, although it's been delayed several times.

I doubt it would be the A-72.

Why do you doubt it could be the A72? Not arguing you are wrong, just interested to know why. And why would it be less likely than Zen?

If it's indeed based on the A57, how would that compare to the XBone/PS4 CPU?

prag16

Banned
You're trying to fight actual facts with anecdotal evidence. Why? The console sold a metric shit ton of games, despite what you and your friends saw.

Not to mention Wii actually had the best version of CoD games, strictly due to pointer controls. Haters gonna hate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If it's indeed based on the A57, how would that compare to the XBone/PS4 CPU?

About the same given the same power envelope and die size. I believe the A57 need to be clocked higher but is a more power efficient architecture on a smaller node.

atbigelow

Well, I'm talking mostly from looking at smartphones and tablets benchmarks. Maybe is because of the limited memory subsystems on those devices?

Mobile devices also have to throttle more for heat issues (same with handhelds). You can actively cool a console.

It could also have a lot to do with the 3DS not having any compelling software since February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom