• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

Minsc

Gold Member
Animal Crossing definitely has the most to gain going mobile, they will make a lot more money and grab a much larger audience. Also the gameplay really fits mobile too, login a couple times a day for a few minutes, catch a fish, check mail (get notifications on your phone), socialize, etc. I expect the future of the series to be mobile, over the stale evolution (doubt you can even call it that) its had since the original release.

ffvorax

Pokemon Card Game for smartphone? Interested!

I know already exist one for pc/tablets, but I would prefer to play on smartphone so... hope it's true.

jts

...hate me...
Animal Crossing definitely has the most to gain going mobile, they will make a lot more money and grab a much larger audience. Also the gameplay really fits mobile too, login a couple times a day for a few minutes, catch a fish, check mail (get notifications on your phone), socialize, etc. I expect the future of the series to be mobile, over the stale evolution (doubt you can even call it that) its had since the original release.
Nah, proper button-based gameplay is still essential for the full AC experience. Animal Crossing is going to move completely to mobile when all the other IPs in the world do the same.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i agree it makes the most sense, but i hope N continues to focus on releasing full games on their hardware

i love ac and would hate to see it get the fe:h treatmentp

New Leaf sold insanely well, like close to Mario/Pokemon levels of sales, and was by-and-large considered to be the biggest leap-forward for the series, in terms of quality, since it's inception. The mainline Animal Crossing titles aren't going anywhere.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It makes sense but I honestly don't see nintendo doing that and going all out for this version. Namely because animal crossing is a massive seller and highly popular with women of various ages something the switch is in dire lack of so going mobile only is antithetical to having dedicated hardware.

I really can't wait to see what they do with the AC mobile game. Zelda sounds pretty great as well, but I can't currently imagine what I'd want out of that. If I had to bet on release timing, I'd think that we'll get the Zelda game this fall to renew interest in BoTW for the holidays.

AC seems set to be a good spring release that promotes a potential Switch game. It's been too long since we had a "main" Animal Crossing game so I'm not convinced that mobile is their only project for that series. I wanna see this stuff right now!

Please just please also release it on 3DS or Switch.

I am so tired of them making games on mobile and not releasing them on their own damn systems. I want to play these games. Please let me. I can't afford a mobile device and don't want to support mobile due to them constantly being outdated by newer systems so please Nintendo release your mobile games on your actual systems.

If its like a real good Zelda game that I can't play I'll be pissed.
You can't afford a phone but you can afford a 3DS and Switch..?

psyfi

Banned
I'm curious as hell about the Zelda game. I'm expecting to not care about it, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Single-screen top-down dungeon puzzles could work. Might not be the easiest genre to monetize, though.

I certainly won't rule it out, but I'd be disappointed if they just used the Zelda IP to skin a genre like city building or endless running.

Please just please also release it on 3DS or Switch.

I am so tired of them making games on mobile and not releasing them on their own damn systems. I want to play these games. Please let me. I can't afford a mobile device and don't want to support mobile due to them constantly being outdated by newer systems so please Nintendo release your mobile games on your actual systems.

If its like a real good Zelda game that I can't play I'll be pissed.

You can get a phone capable of playing the current mobile offerings for a fraction of the switch price.

You can't possibly be able to afford a switch and not a smartphone, it simply isn't possible

Maxinas

That's a full year delay on AC... I suspect it's being timed to come out with a Switch AC.

Seems like the current strategy is to release a console game within a close time period the relative mobile app releases. Pokemon Go with Pokemon Sun/Moon several months later. Mario Run with Mario Maker 3ds released 2 weeks before. Fire Emblem Heroes with FE: Echoes releasing 3 months later.

The Zelda mobile game will probably just coincide with the release of BOTW this year.

Single-screen top-down dungeon puzzles could work. Might not be the easiest genre to monetize, though.

I certainly won't rule it out, but I'd be disappointed if they just used the Zelda IP to skin a genre like city building or endless running.

Most definitely! If I had to take a wild guess at anything, I'd say it'll be a top-down touch-based game in the style of the DS entries. I also have a feeling that they don't want to monetize Zelda like FE and AC, so I could see them going the Mario Run route again.

messiaen

Poke TCG before a Mario Kart mobile game? That's interesting.

Is the MtG resurgence bleeding into Pokemon as well? Or did it just maintain it's popularity?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Man, I would be all over the Pokemon TCG app

Is the MtG resurgence bleeding into Pokemon as well? Or did it just maintain it's popularity?
If anything "official" support for the Pokemon TCG Online App would bring people who are not invested in the TCG scene because the game has already existed since 2011 on PC,since 2014 on iPad and on Android since 2016.

Mobile Phones are not "officially" supported on the app store or Play Store but at least on Android you can download the .apk file to play on your Android phone.

IIRC, any mobile games related to Pokemon are handled by TPC (The Pokemon Company) and don't fall under Nintendo's mobile strategy/DeNA partnership.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hyrule Warriors, smartphone edition. Free to play, pay for loot crates to get new weapons and characters.

Let the money flow in, Nintendo will need another accounting team just to deal with the extra new taxes they will have to pay from the insane revenue they are getting.

Hyrule Warriors, smartphone edition. Free to play, pay for loot crates to get new weapons and characters.

Let the money flow in, Nintendo will need another accounting team just to deal with the extra new taxes they will have to pay from the insane revenue they are getting.

Now that sounds like an incredible idea, has there ever been a smartphone mosou?

Regarding AC mobile, don't forget it is the first Nintendo mobile game to be designed to be "connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems" (Nintendo words). really can't see a mainline game being realised too far from the mobile game if it is a proeminent feature. Or maybe New Leaf first and later on the Switch AC?

Regarding AC mobile, don't forget it is the first Nintendo mobile game to be designed to be "connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems" (Nintendo words). really can't see a mainline game being realised too far from the mobile game if it is a proeminent feature. Or maybe New Leaf first and later on the Switch AC?

Eh... I think they've squeezed as much as humanly possible out of New Leaf by now. The game is almost five years old.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I have no idea how a Zelda game could be fit in touch-gameplay, but who am I?

Thou I think that Animal Crossing will totaly be GOAT for any smartphone gamer.

Wamb0wneD

Something like Dandy Dungeon just with more rooms would be cool for Zelda. Would also solve the problem of people feeling ripped off by getting asked 10 bucks upfront. (Still baffled what the mobile market has become over the years). Just make it ftp with the option to get rid of timers etc with 10 bucks.

I feel like Mario Kart would be too good. Mario Run is a fantastic game, but it's also a clearly differentiated and "lighter" version of the full NSMB experience.

Mario Kart would just be Mario Kart—the game would work perfectly with motion controls and a touch screen. Nintendo sells Mario Kart on consoles for $60, which they'll never be able to do on mobile. And if MK8DX is any indiction, the game moves a lot of systems as well.

Please just please also release it on 3DS or Switch. I am so tired of them making games on mobile and not releasing them on their own damn systems. I want to play these games. Please let me. I can't afford a mobile device and don't want to support mobile due to them constantly being outdated by newer systems so please Nintendo release your mobile games on your actual systems.

The only mobile Nintendo games you'd really want to play are Mario Run and maybe Pokemon Go.

Pokemon Go needs a GPS and mobile data connection for obviously obvious reasons.

Mario Run could work, but it would be tricky because the game is designed for a portrait aspect ratio. I guess you could play it on a Switch if you rotated the screen, but that would be a bit unwieldy. It might work if you undocked the joy-cons, maybe. The game doesn't work super well on iPads either IMO, for much the same reason.

XandBosch

Didn't they already say at one point that the AC mobile thing would strictly be a companion app to the core game that would be out at the time? I think it was SUPPOSED to be New Leaf, but that ship has sailed.

Piggus

Nintendo would be the dumbest idiots on earth if they were to skip out on Animal Crossing for the Switch. There's no way that the next mainline game in the series isn't in development. I just hope it's coming soon. The Switch is the perfect platform for it.

Didn't they already say at one point that the AC mobile thing would strictly be a companion app to the core game that would be out at the time? I think it was SUPPOSED to be New Leaf, but that ship has sailed.

Nintendo sentence was that the mobile game was designed to be "connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems".

ggx2ac

In other news, Nintendo's stock value just broke the ¥30,000 line. It hasn't been that high since Pokémon Go released which sent it up to ¥31,000+ and also hasn't been that high for years ignoring that.

The difference is it's not going to become a temporary spike that goes back down to ¥21,000 in a week or two.

What exactly have they.... increased? I feel that if anything, they made it more problematic because the impression I got is that for 10 dollars this is all you can expect from Nintendo, and nothing more. Not even post-release support. That's kinda disappointing when we're talking about just 6 worlds of 4 short stages each. That's not increasing the average perceived worth of content, that's saying that they can't sell something for more than 10 dollars, and for 10 dollars don't expect much. People are not going to look at this as the content of SMR being what we deserve for 10 dollars, but rather that Nintendo is cheap and sucks at supporting their paid products on mobile.

On the other hand, if the base game is 10 bucks, and they continued to support it with content that increasingly trained people who enjoyed the game to understand how much they are expected to pay in exchange for quality ongoing support of content, that would be setting a value system that lasts.
I've been thinking about what I'd do with SMR if I were Nintendo. Me personally, I'd announce another 24 levels for $10 ready to download. And then I'd say there's another 2 lots of 24 levels coming before the end of March 2018 for $10 each. And once all the levels are out, I'd let people buy everything in one go for $35.

Now I've conditioned people to buy full priced games on mobile.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I would love persistent worlds across AC Mobile and AC Switch.

Top Bottom