• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well the app does have some micro transactions so they just need to fiddle that a bit but other than that all they need is a bit more polish. TCGO isn't the hot mess people make it out to be

Yes it is. It's fucking terrible.

It's like their was zero thought put into the tablet app design.

120v

unless it's strictly puzzle based i'm at a loss how zelda could fare mobile. unless it's just a standard gacha game with zelda characters or whatever

Tregard

Soothsayer
You build out dungeons using a selection of dungeon tiles, which your customised Link AI will work his way through, attempting to defeat enemies and collecting items.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
unless it's strictly puzzle based i'm at a loss how zelda could fare mobile. unless it's just a standard gacha game with zelda characters or whatever
What is this even supposed to mean? What kind of game is standard gacha game?

Ehhh I put a lot of time into Miitomo, Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes and found them all unsatisfying.
It's hard to care about any future releases with the Switch here offering fully fledged games on the go.

jts

...hate me...
Zelda: Tap Display to Win!

Animal Crossing could be a good release though. Hopefully not a full release but maybe something that can even connect to the real Animal Crossing on the Switch.

ash_ag

Also they need to change the hideous art style to make it look like a Pokemon game and not something from Newgrounds circa 2000.

Totally agree with this. The characters are outright subpar. The GUI isn't too bad in terms of usability in my opinion, but I'll agree that it too looks outdated (particularly some of its 3D effects, which look straight out of the early 00's). Ultimately, I wouldn't mind it if they scrapped everything in the front-end and worked on aesthetics from the ground up, but they certainly don't need to reinvent the wheel with the interface.

I hope they hire the Pokémon Duel artist and have him work on character designs for a more lively and involved single-player campaign. He's also involved in the TCG as an illustrator, so he's a natural fit. The Go (and Fire Emblem, No More Heroes) artist is also amazing, but I guess his style is a bit more serious.

The TCG has so many amazing artists, without even including Game Freak contributors like Sugimori, Ohmura and Ariga. Either one of these would be a great choice for character designs:
- Hideki Ishikawa (Duel)
- Megumi Mizutani
- Kanako Eo
- Naoki Saito
- Sanosuke Sakuma
- Masakazu Fukuda
- Emi Ando

You can always count on TPCi to choose this:
DmWdJX0.jpg

over this:

:p

duckroll

Yeh it's supporting their mobile strategy. Get them hooked and then Switch to get the full experience.

Does anyone -really- buy into this PR drivel btw. Or is it just being parroted because it sounds good?

Here's Nintendo's mobile strategy:

- Release games on mobile using their big brands
- Make money on a market segment they have been ignoring
- Shareholders are pleased
- Make more money on a market segment they have been ignoring
- Maybe some of this audience will want to get Nintendo hardware, maybe not, probably not the most important thing
- Make even more money on a market segment they are no longer ignoring
- Shareholders are very pleased

jts

...hate me...
Does anyone -really- buy into this PR drivel btw. Or is it just being parroted because it sounds good?

- Maybe some of this audience will want to get Nintendo hardware, maybe not, probably not the most important thing
Yep, and the best part is that on the surface they use their big IPs but gameplay-wise those games are just the typical shallow mobile experience, so they don't dedicate their A teams to it.

Everyone wins.

mantidor

Pokémon Go was huge but the others weren't exactly huge money makers, were they?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pokémon Go was huge but the others weren't exactly huge money makers, were they?
Define huge.

Pokémon Go is a billion dollar game versus Fire Emblem being $100 million or so thus far, but that's still almost assuredly more than any other Fire Emblem has made, with much better margins to boot.

ggx2ac

Pokémon Go is huge and already made $1 billion in less than a year but, this explains the rest:

Smart Device, IP related income: ¥24.25 billion or $218 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Compared to the previous year it was ¥5,734 million or $51.5 million, that's roughly a 4.2x increase year over year.

Nintendo's earnings share from Pokémon Go and other entities:
Share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method: ¥20,271 million or $182.2 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Compared to the previous year it was ¥1,887 million or ~$17 million, that's roughly a 10.7x increase year over year.

Source​: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427e.pdf

This relates to Nintendo's mobile games and Pokémon Go.

Nintendo's mobile games has earned them as much money as Pokémon Go. This is due to Pokémon Go being owned by the Pokémon Company so Nintendo only earns a share of it.

I could definitely see a Hyrule Kingdom builder type game, maybe even Clash of Clans style.

Honestly the Zelda game could be one of a huge number of mobile game styles. They have a hell of a lot of room to experiment with that IP. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

Mik2121

I love Zelda but for smartphone stuff, right now the Animal Crossing title sounds way more promising just based on what I imagine in my mind. AC is the perfect game for checking randomly on the go.

duckroll

I could definitely see a Hyrule Kingdom builder type game, maybe even Clash of Clans style.

Honestly the Zelda game could be one of a huge number of mobile game styles. They have a hell of a lot of room to experiment with that IP. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

With SMR they correctly identified that sidescrolling platforming and playing as Mario are the most important aspects of a Mario game. With Zelda I think they should identify the same thing - you need to play as Link and it needs to have the action adventure feel. How deep the game is, how much content there is, and how it controls are all up in the air, but I'm pretty confidently after the success of BotW they're not going to say "let's use the Zelda brand to make a game where you don't play as Link and do some random shit instead".

With SMR they correctly identified that sidescrolling platforming and playing as Mario are the most important aspects of a Mario game. With Zelda I think they should identify the same thing - you need to play as Link and it needs to have the action adventure feel. How deep the game is, how much content there is, and how it controls are all up in the air, but I'm pretty confidently after the success of BotW they're not going to say "let's use the Zelda brand to make a game where you don't play as Link and do some random shit instead".

That's a good point, though I would say that SMR also has some of those kingdom builder elements as a bit of side focus, so I could definitely see that as something a bit more prominent in the Zelda game. You could have Link go out and fight/gather resources for the kingdom building aspect to let it maintain the Zelda/adventure mentality.

Really my main point is that it's probably very hard to predict the exact direction they'll go with this game, which makes it all the more interesting to follow I'd say.

oti

Banned

I expect them to first offer games that represent the key essence of each IP. Action-Adventure Zelda, platforming Mario, life sim AC. After that they could always release more stuff. Like a match-3 AC or a Hyrule Builder game.

duckroll

That's a good point, though I would say that SMR also has some of those kingdom builder elements as a bit of side focus, so I could definitely see that as something a bit more prominent in the Zelda game. You could have Link go out and fight/gather resources for the kingdom building aspect to let it maintain the Zelda/adventure mentality.

Really my main point is that it's probably very hard to predict the exact direction they'll go with this game, which makes it all the more interesting to follow I'd say.

Sure they could have all sorts of hooks as side content. But I feel pretty certain that the core of the game will be the player controlling Link in some form (probably top down) and beating enemies, getting a key, progressing through an area, beating a boss, etc.

Even way back in ancient history, when Nintendo made throwaway time wasters on Game & Watch, they kept those fundamentals in Zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWnevdLvxy4

:)

Wow, I'm all for a Zelda mobile game and pretty sure I'm buy/play it no matter the genre. I seen someone mentioned Hyrule SimCity, that would be so cool! I wonder if they'd make a Hyrule Tower Defense type game, too. Can't wait to see what it is, or is not, when they do an official reveal.

I'm super excited for Animal Crossing too, was a bit bummed when they delayed it but Fire Emblem and Super Mario have kept me busy so I don't mind it all that much anymore.

Pokemaniac

Isn't that pretty much what actually happened with Pokémon, though? Pokémon games (and the 3DS) received a massive sales bump even before Sun and Moon released.

Falchion

I wonder what the gameplay of a mobile Zelda game would be. I'm really pumped about an Animal Crossing one though, this could tide me over until we get a proper Switch release.

NotSelf

Gonna be really shitty if the only AC news we get this year is for the mobile game.

My guess is there going to release both at the same time. I remember reading that app will work in conjunction with the main game and it makes sense to release it in fall when they introduce there online pay.

13ruce

Banned
Can't imagine Animal Crossing would hit Switch this year though. I'd expect it as a Spring-Summer 2018 game.

Pretty much this, AC new leaf came out in 2013 so 2018 would mean 5 years after that and that is the time to release a new one. At most it's early 2019 but no way later because that would be too long.

Mobile game this year for huge profit and brand awareness then release a full blown Switch game and make bank again.

JoeM86

Nice point. PTCGO is not available in Japan. I wonder if they'll do a Japanese launch for this new app, with the Japanese format, and a Western launch later.
If Japan is getting a TCG app and it's not tcgo then it's unlikely to come here since TCGO is huge

jts

...hate me...
My guess is there going to release both at the same time. I remember reading that app will work in conjunction with the main game and it makes sense to release it in fall when they introduce there online pay.

I think the same but at the same time, because surely both AC mobile and AC Switch need to be able to function independently, I can see them releasing AC mobile first and showing an AC Switch preview with the tease of "and next spring when AC Switch releases you'll be able to transfer your progress to this beautiful HD world with extra features - and these games will keep syncing continuously everyday, so you can play wherever you are with whatever device you have on you".

I would still die of hype.

Top Bottom