• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ : PS4 "may allow users to compete against others using different hardware"

I don't think the supporting infrastructure is there on a global level to make streaming PS3 games to a phone anything more than a novelty.

Also, I hope Kinect 2 doesn't expect me to have a jumbo upper-middle class size lounge.

Mokubba

Can't wait to see that Sony's throwing all its focus on PS Mobile in hopes of getting the IOS crowd.

Don't think it's going to work out well.

Sony doesn't forget their bread and butter. This may be the injection PS Mobile needs but it won't be their main focus.

OT

IF true then this coincides well with the Xperia Z's coming release. I just want Vita support

Monas

I would be #dead if at the conference they have a live demo of Killzone 4, started up a video chat with someone who was at work or something, who then fired up a browser and started playing in the match off the cloud, in the browser.

#dead!

Any browser except Chrome I presume.

Smart, but how would they go about monetizing that?

Oh sorry, you are right.

I was just thinking about myself and strictly thinking of mobile and tablets.

Right, but iOS/Android mobile devices is clearly the priority because of the userbase. So, really, it's still a concern that will govern the complexity of games that work across platforms.

Seems like Sony realizes that their console future is not in a box under the TV and is starting the transition away from that. If so' it's the most forward thinking thing they've done in over a generation.

Sony have been talking about consumer expectation of being platform agnostic for a while, people expect game they bought for 1 platform will also work for other platform, cross buy is one of their attempt at that, but going forward, I imagine they'll just use streaming solution.

also, I wonder if they can implement gaikai tech to improve remote play, remote play is basically cloud gaming, but our ps3/4 is our own local cloud server instead of having to rely on Sony server all the time.

the few games like god of war and sotc that is patched with newer version of remote play actually work really well.

I would be #dead if at the conference they have a live demo of Killzone 4, started up a video chat with someone who was at work or something, who then fired up a browser and started playing in the match off the cloud, in the browser.

#dead!

I should probably look for more detail before letting my imagination run away with itself, though... ahem.

How about this...

Stage is dimly lit, someone is holding a controller. On the screen, Nathan Drake appears...but wait...it's Uncharted 2?! A couple of minutes of gameplay is shown, then - pause. The lights come up, it's Apple CEO Tim Cook holding a PS4 controller. Uncharted 2 was streaming form an Apple TV.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Any browser except Chrome I presume.

Smart, but how would they go about monetizing that?

Actually I think Chrome would be the most seamless! Gaikai demo-ed a seamless client for Chrome at Google IO last year I think that just worked out of the box, no need to authorise anything or download java or whatever.

As for monetisation...there's oodles of possibilities.

But let's see what they're actually doing first. I'm hoping PS4 is rolled into this, but even PS3 would be interesting.

waypoetic

Banned
So, leaderboards? Because i don't see someone on their Sony Xperia phone vs. a PS4 player.

... And it's so fucking annoying when english journalists write "he said/they said/the blablabla said" after every sentence! Throws me off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This link did not work for me in either Firefox or Chrome. Went to the WSJ site, but the article was blank. Do you need to be a subscriber to read it?

Google the title and click it from a browser, otherwise you can't see it as a non subscriber.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this represents a recognition that the All-in-Wonder Box Under the TV model is in the past.

Omikaru

There is precedent for this, what with cross-platform play between PC and PS3 on Portal 2. Though Steamworks isn't approved middleware on PS3, so I guess only Valve can do it right now. Maybe that'll change going forward if Sony are interested in having PS4 talk with other devices. Though I suppose that's down to Valve as much as it is Sony. Though nothing is stopping developers from making their own setups for this kind of thing, and companies like Ubisoft and EA already have their own internal Steamworks-like account/friends system that would accommodate this kind of thing from a range of devices.

Honestly, the only devices I can't see PS4 having the potential to have some form of cross-platform play with are closed platforms like the next Xbox, 3DS and Wii U.

Spiegel

#dead!

I should probably look for more detail before letting my imagination run away with itself, though... ahem.

I think they'll start smaller than that, with 'cloud' games (specifically designed for this) and not big PS4 blockbusters.

It's a lot more realistic.

Omikaru

Vita Phone confirmed

I don't think this confirms anything of the sort, but I think in the future there will be a gaming-centric phone that's the next evolution of what the Vita is, and as such will be backwards compatible with that system's digital library. It certainly makes more sense than a dedicated handheld, and I'm pretty sure Sony has spoken about Vita's OS being the foundation of a mobile OS going forward.

But I think that's another discussion entirely...

JaggedSac

Seems like a no brainer when you own Gaikai. Would be nice if you could purchase a disc and then that game would be activated for your account somehow. Although this would cause issues with selling games. They probably only allow this for games purchased digitally from their store.

I don't think anyone doubts that the future is going to be all about widespread high speed wireless internet and cloud based services. But I don't think the infrastructure and monetization required for that is in place yet. If you find yourself frustrated at multiplayer lag now, I fail to see how pushing the entire game online is a step in the right direction. As a stepping stone for the next wave 5, 10, 15+ years down the road it's a smarter investment. But the reality is we're still arguing about the merits of an always online requirement and the overall quality of internet access to the average consumer needs to go way up both in terms of reliability, speed, cost, and availability.

Definitely sounds like Sony is headed one direction, MS the other. I'm a bigger fan of the 360 than the PS3 but it sounds like that might change in the next generation.

PS+PS2+PS3+PS4 games streamed to your WiiU browser streamed to your gamepad.

Or anything with a browser. PS+ for literally everyone.

There is precedent for this, what with cross-platform play between PC and PS3 on Portal 2.

Yeah, I came to post this. If they wanted, they could've made this more widespread with the PS3. Valve could've ported over their other coop-heavy games Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. In a perfect world, I suppose.

Elios83

People still don't get that Gaikai will bring Playstation games over multiple platforms? :D
Don't be surprised if they announce you can play PS3 and PS4 games through streaming on the PSVita, all you need is a Wi-Fi connection. Just to begin with...

Maybe kinda like WiiU, the game can be stored in the controller, but instead of playing on the controller itself, you can take it anywhere. I dunno, just spit-balling.

Jonboy

If all the cloud stuff is true...then why would I ever need to buy an actual PS4? Couldn't I just stream it to my Vita, PS3, or iPhone?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they'll start smaller than that, with 'cloud' games (specifically designed for this) and not big PS4 blockbusters.

It's a lot more realistic.

Whilst yet another separate platform would be totally Sony, it would be impractical and require even more development resources.

Anyway, by the sounds of it it will be at least PS3 software. Makes more sense to leverage content that is already there and already being developed than to start off on another new software platform.

Basically Sony is going to do what Phil Harrison recently said Microsoft will be doing. I hope there's more to differentiate these two consoles in the future than exclusives.

Cynar

I like the sharing features mentioned but I'm not really liking the idea of cloud gaming. I like owning what I purchase.

I like the sharing features mentioned but I'm not really liking the idea of cloud gaming. I like owning what I purchase.
you will still be able to. This is simply laying the foundation/future proofing. Next gen you'll still be able to buy all your games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I asked the author about whether PS4 games would be on the cloud feature; he deferred to his earlier article.

@gofreak_ie We said in earlier story streaming service is designed to use current PS3 titles, new games on disks

Now, I assume new games will be on more than just disks - digital download is a no brainer - but for now I will give up ground on the idea of PS4 games being streamed :p It's odd though, because PS3 would be the more difficult of the two platforms' content to accomodate, presumably...

Top Bottom