• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ : PS4 "may allow users to compete against others using different hardware"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Considering they'll be bringing Planetside 2 to the PS4 of course they'll allow PS4-PC cross play.
I wouldn't be so sure that Planetside 2 cross platform is a lock until they officially declare it. They didn't do it with DC Universe Online and that game had cross platform servers during development.

spwolf

They already have the hardware and software to deliver it on day one and Vita support is all but confirmed. Creating some dumb controller apps for web browsers, Android and iOS isn't going to be a great engineering effort.

"Local" cloud gaming (an oxymoron, I know) is far more interesting than traditional cloud gaming and everything is already in place for it to take off.

i dont see how local game sharing is more interesting than cloud gaming... i am not saying it is not cool added feature, but Gaikai cloud gaming is way more interesting as it allows multiple devices, anywhere to play games, not just one share in your home.

I could play one game on the tv, and my kid another game on the Xperia Z while my wife plays 3rd game on tablet.

I dont see whats the point of streaming PS4 game from my PS4 to iOS. I guess I can go to the bathroom with it or something? But otherwise its OK but not revolutionary. Cooler is to use Vita as controller for PS4 with uses for that OLED screen for instance.

Raoh

What are some signs that we should have seen some of the future features like this coming?

• Eyecreate software for making videos with pseye that are shareable on youtube
  • screengrabs that are shareable on flickr
  • Facebook (and twitter?) and PSN account sync for auto wall posting when earning trophies
  • facebook friends matchmaking with uncharted multiplayer

Anything else released on ps3 i'm missing?

Ravage

The have the hardware and software to make it happen now. They just need to open the floodgates.

Oh and as an extra bonus, the Orbis hardware is more than capable of rendering games at native 1080p with MSAA and high levels of AF. The Vita's screen is a quarter of the resolution of 1080p so these games will effectively have 4x SSAA on top of the MSAA that they're already using and with a ~20mbps h.264 stream (heck even a ~10mbps stream should be fine) artifacting really isn't going to be an issue. These games are going to look absolutely stunning on the Vita's 5" screen with flawless image quality.

I much prefer the big screen at home, but if true...

To play PS4 and PS Vita games on smartphones thanks to this kind of device ? (click to make it bigger)

A dualshock + battery attachment for smartphones/tablets is exactly what Sony needs right now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
LOL you think you are going to pay $50-100 a year and have access to the entire PlayStation 3 library? Publishers would just stop supporting Sony.

There's going to be a monthly sub $15+ and/or you have to buy the games individually.

Not interested then, if I'm paying per game I want to own it

Jhriad

I wouldn't be so sure that Planetside 2 cross platform is a lock until they officially declare it. They didn't do it with DC Universe Online and that game had cross platform servers during development.

Planetside directly benefits from having more players on at a single time. DCUO doesn't.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fits other comments I've heard about next-gen game progression would be shared across platforms.

IIRC EA's CEO said somewhere their vision for Origin in "Gen 4" is that people could buy a game on say Xbox720/PS4 and if they later pick it up on PC via Origin as well, then progression between the two skus would be shared among the platforms.

Hell no, this Gaikai better be like Music/Movies Unlimited
1 yearly subscription that grants you access to everything

Movies unlimited is not like that, though I think (hope) they will announce something like that tomorrow. Xfinity and netflix are garbage.

Jay Sosa

i can't believe that nearly everything that I read about the PS4 so far makes me eager in anticipation. In my opinion the PS3 is one of the worst consoles known to mankind (library is pretty good but everything else starting with PSN is amazingly bad). Seems like Sony really did their homework this time.

1 yearly subscription that grants you access to everything

lol..I mean yeah if the fee is like 1000$ maybe

SpartanN92

Banned
Refresh my memory please... Isn't Portal 2 on PS3 compatible with the PC/MAC version? Could we potentially see more of that?

lmpaler

Only if the PS4 allows for KB+M functionality in game. Otherwise console players and PC players mix like oil and water...

Easily done as CS:GO has this, unfortunately Valve pulled the plug on cross platform for stupid reasons.

Well it may be more of a money thing as I am to understand that Sony and Microsoft charge for patches after so many and Valve loves to patch their games

Easily done as CS:GO has this, unfortunately Valve pulled the plug on cross platform for stupid reasons.

Well it may be more of a money thing as I am to understand that Sony and Microsoft charge for patches after so many and Valve loves to patch their games

Maybe less of a money issue and more of a cert issue. Keeping clients in synch would have been a pain in the ass.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Planetside directly benefits from having more players on at a single time. DCUO doesn't.
Now that it's F2P and it has a cross faction queue system for PvP, I agree that it doesn't really matter in DCUO. It was a whole different matter at launch though when the game required a $60 purchase, a sub, and pop was bleeding out causing queue times to take forever and making it impossible to fill out a raid group. Cross platform servers would have benefited both platforms during that first year.

It just seems to me that even though they've made some good progress on the front with DCUO, there's still several issues that preclude cross platform servers from being a sure thing for Planetside 2. Like how are they gonna handle the controller differences between both platforms? It's not that big of a deal in a third person action game designed from the ground up to the limitations of a controller, but for a PC FPS, M+KB will clearly have an advantage over a controller. Some will argue that letting M+KB on the console port will solve the issue, but I'd argue most people on the console side won't bother plugging in a M+KB and letting in people with a M+KB advantage into the console servers will sour the first impression for those users.

There's also the monetary side of the equation. It's been 2+ years since DCUO launched and console players are still getting screwed over when it comes to deals and sales. Stuff like Double/Triple Station Cash are non existent on the PS3 side cause it uses the PSN and the PS/SEN Wallet to fund all purchases. PS3 subs are also gimped cause of this since their Loyalty Points and the limited selection of items you can purchase with them are a poor substitute for the monthly Station Cash reward the PC subs have. Sales have also been problematic in the past, but I will admit they have gotten better at offering them on the PS3 side. These issues are annoying in DCUO's segregated servers, in a cross platform environment they would rear their ugly head front and center every time the Station side has a promo going on.

Top Bottom