• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ : PS4 "may allow users to compete against others using different hardware"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd prefer teething problems than them being too late to their own party ;) :p I guess if someone did beat them to the punch with contemporary, next-gen software on the cloud they could react quickly. But they should get their first...even if they don't get their immediately, day one, with PS4's launch.
Heh, I think "teething problems" is certainly a pleasant euphemism for what might happen if they try opening up all that content to a bunch of different devices on day 1.

I don't think anyone else is in a rush to get there either. I've certainly heard nothing about anyone else suddenly making game streaming a very viable, mass market solution.

Mifune

Mehmber
I also think MS's strategy of moneyhatting is going to save their butts, as it simply works. How likely/possible is it for big 3rd party games to get moneyhatted as timed-exclusives?

I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Here you have two consoles coming out around the same time. A big reason why MS was able to secure so many exclusives early on for the 360 was that the other console was releasing a year later. Third parties are going to be a lot more reluctant to sign exclusive deals with anyone this time around.

I think there's a reason why Microsoft is pouring so much money into its internal studios.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Didn't someone try letting console players play against PC users in a FPS before? I seem to remember it not going all that well. Unless this isn't that and is more like the MH game for Wii U and 3DS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is what I hope is announced. Cross play with both of these, and Steambox access built into the PS4.

Not a chance :)

This isn't about cross-platform play - with Xbox or Nintendo or Steam.

The platform will be PlayStation. 'Just' that PlayStation will be available on various different devices via streaming. So someone playing a multiplayer game on PS3 might be playing against someone on a tablet or a PC or whatever, the latter two streaming the game off their cloud service. But the latter two are still on 'PlayStation'.

It makes absolutely no sense for them to spend resources streaming all PS1 and PS2 games. PS4 should be more than capable of emulating them via software.

Edit: I should clarify that it may be a feature, but I don't think they'll expect people to stream these games to PS4 (i.e. offer it as the only way) when it would more cost effective to have them running on the hardware.

I think line of reasoning here is Sony is trying to be the Netflix of video games.

Limit

I am iffy about this PS3 streaming games endeavor. I have 25 Mbps internet connection and there are days where I can't even stream youtube videos in HD without the stream hiccuping every 4 seconds. Sony would need to have in place a humongous infrastructure to pull this off. And even then I am not sure if with an average national speed of 6.7 Mbps in U.S. most people will have pleasant experience playing streamed PS3 games.

But good on them for trying. Someone has to.

Cyborg

I am iffy about this PS3 streaming games endeavor. I have 25 Mbps internet connection and there are days where I can't even stream youtube videos in HD without the stream hiccuping every 4 seconds. Sony would need to have in place a humongous infrastructure to pull this off. And even then I am not sure if with an average national speed of 6.7 Mbps in U.S. most people will have pleasant experience playing streamed PS3 games.

But good on them for trying. Someone has to.
No risks no succes Sony got balls!

Hana-Bi

Sony has to make the costumers aware of possible problems with Gaikai (like you have to be online, it streams the game, you need x Mbps bandwidth, ...). If they are just telling "hey this is our approach of BC and now you can play our games on multiple devices" and this would be it, they will probably have some very dissapointed and angry customers.

I think on paper this sounds amazing and could be a big selling point, but not everyone could use it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's what I'm wondering. I mean...what's the point of a PS4 then?

It's sounding like it won't stream PS4 software. At least not initially.

However the point of a PS4 in that case would be if you 1) want the best possible experience and 2) wanted to 'own' all your software in the traditional sense. There'd also likely be a class of PS4 software not available on the cloud service - e.g. those relying on low latency motion tracking. You might also want a box if a HMD peripheral became available, as it would likely only work properly with a low-latency connection to a local box. And your local network infrastructure may not be suitable for cloud consumption in the first place.

However the question probably won't arise immediately anyway...

aro52

It'd be great if this leads to cross-play with PS3 peeps. For example, I'll probably have PS4 Day 1, but doubtful that most of my friends do. Would be sweet if I can play, say Battlefield 4, with em and I just have some purdier visuals!

I think it might have a negative impact though - if your first impression of 'PS4' is via streaming, then you might associate the PS4 experience with a low IQ, laggy mess. I doubt Sony will want to take that risk.

yurinka

This is how I'd monetize it:

-You need a PS+ account to run Gaikai. PS+ price would rise but wouldn't affect the current subscriptions.
-Free Gaikai app for Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS Certified devices (smartphones, tablets, PC, new Sony TVs) that allows you to stream or buy games.
-They would be working with Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Google, Microsoft and LG to make some their current and future smartphones, tablets, tvs, consoles and computer PS Certified devices soon.
-PlayStation Store web version adapted to these PS Certified devices, linked from the Gaikai app to purchase PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, Minis, PSM games there.
-You can play streamed through Gaikai all the PSN games you bought in PS3 (also including Minis, PS1 and PS2 Classics), PS4, PSP and PS Vita (also including PS1 Classics, Minis or PSM titles).
-Free 1 hour demo for all Gaikai games (1 time only for game).
-All PS4 disc games come with an On-line code. It enables trophies, multiplayer and Gaikai copy of the game. If you buy a 2nd hand game also can buy digitally the Online pass.

You would want to buy a PS4 or Vita because their hardware and controls are designed to use Gaikai, and if obviously to play locally would have less latency and better graphics and only would need internet connection just once, to activate the online pass.

Since it would earn an insane user base, devs would want to develop PS4 and Vita games. Which would bring more users, etc. It also would fix BC issues for future consoles or portables, if ever released since they can be just a next gen of hardware stored in servers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
-You need a PS+ account to run Gaikai. PS+ price would rise but wouldn't affect the current subscriptions.
-Free Gaikai app for Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS Certified devices (smartphones, tablets, PC, new Sony TVs) that allows you to stream or buy games.
-They would be working with Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Google, Microsoft and LG to make some their current and future smartphones, tablets, tvs, consoles and computer PS Certified devices soon.
-PlayStation Store web version adapted to these PS Certified devices, linked from the Gaikai app to purchase PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, Minis, PSM games there.
-You can play streamed through Gaikai all the PSN games you bought in PS3 (also including Minis, PS1 and PS2 Classics), PS4, PSP and PS Vita (also including PS1 Classics, Minis or PSM titles).
-Free 1 hour demo for all Gaikai games (1 time only for game).
-All PS4 disc games come with an On-line code. It enables trophies, multiplayer and Gaikai copy of the game. If you buy a 2nd hand game also can buy digitally the Online pass.
-You would want to buy a PS4 or Vita because their hardware and controls are designed to use Gaikai, and if obviously to play locally would have less latency and better graphics and only would need internet connection just once, to activate the online pass.
Hell no, this Gaikai better be like Music/Movies Unlimited
1 yearly subscription that grants you access to everything

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Hell no, this Gaikai better be like Music/Movies Unlimited
1 yearly subscription that grants you access to everything

LOL you think you are going to pay $50-100 a year and have access to the entire PlayStation 3 library? Publishers would just stop supporting Sony.

There's going to be a monthly sub $15+ and/or you have to buy the games individually.

Since the machine has a hardware h.264 encoder, there's no good reason to not allow the machine to stream low latency games to other devices on the same network. The Vita is the obvious choice to start with but why restrict this feature to one device? The "receiver" only needs to be able to decode h.264 and connect to a router. If I have a smart TV in another room, why shouldn't I be able to play my PS4 games on it? If my wife wants to play a turn based game on her ipad while in bed, then why not? The more my PS4 is used, the better as far as Sony is concerned and the hardware and functionality is already there.

The PS4 has the potential to do the Wii U's whole "off TV" play so much better than the Wii U, and Sony don't have to cripple themselves by packing an expensive tablet into every SKU, customers can just use the devices that they already own.

I just hope installations and activations are standard, as having to go downstairs and switch plastic tokens, would completely kill this feature.

Since the machine has a hardware h.264 encoder, there's no good reason to not allow the machine to stream low latency games to other devices on the same network. The Vita is the obvious choice to start with but why restrict this feature to one device? The "receiver" only needs to be able to decode h.264 and connect to a router. If I have a smart TV in another room, why shouldn't I be able to play my PS4 games on it? If my wife wants to play a turn based game on her ipad while in bed, then why not? The more my PS4 is used, the better as far as Sony is concerned and the hardware and functionality is already there.

The PS4 has the potential to do the Wii U's whole "off TV" play so much better than the Wii U, and Sony don't have to cripple themselves by packing an expensive tablet into every SKU, customers can just use the devices that they already own.

I just hope installations and activations are standard, as having to go downstairs and switch plastic tokens, would completely kill this feature.
the way you put it makes a lot of sense. It really is a good strategy. It'll be interesting to see how far they take this. I'm sure the end game is what you describe, but I wonder if they'll get there from the start.

the way you put it makes a lot of sense. It really is a good strategy. It'll be interesting to see how far they take this. I'm sure the end game is what you describe, but I wonder if they'll get there from the start.

They already have the hardware and software to deliver it on day one and Vita support is all but confirmed. Creating some dumb controller apps for web browsers, Android and iOS isn't going to be a great engineering effort.

"Local" cloud gaming (an oxymoron, I know) is far more interesting than traditional cloud gaming and everything is already in place for it to take off.

DBT85

Myself and GoFreak have speculated similar. TVs with a Gaikai app that streams from the servers or from your PS4. Being able to play a proper PlayStation game on a tablet/laptop with a paired DS4 over Gaikai or your home network.

It would put PlayStation content, the bit they actually make the money on, in the hands of everyone who bought a tablet in the last what, 18 months? Potentially every Smart TV too.

Sothpaw

All those 4D gaming, shared computing, cloud gaming jokes people were making 5 years ago seem pretty stupid now. Ken Kutaragi wasn't crazy, just WAY to for ahead of his time and technology level.

Technology has to be brought along at the right pace...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
LOL you think you are going to pay $50-100 a year and have access to the entire PlayStation 3 library? Publishers would just stop supporting Sony.
As opposed to...what? How else are publishers planning to monetize their back catalog of PS3 games on hardware it wasn't designed to run on? For games that are older than 6 months, they'll be lucky to get any kind of steady revenue stream in the first place.

These are some really exciting times we're in. I hope it ll plays out as you've detailed.

The have the hardware and software to make it happen now. They just need to open the floodgates.

Oh and as an extra bonus, the Orbis hardware is more than capable of rendering games at native 1080p with MSAA and high levels of AF. The Vita's screen is a quarter of the resolution of 1080p so these games will effectively have 4x SSAA on top of the MSAA that they're already using and with a ~20mbps h.264 stream (heck even a ~10mbps stream should be fine) artifacting really isn't going to be an issue. These games are going to look absolutely stunning on the Vita's 5" screen with flawless image quality.

Quasar

I thought cross platform play was already allowed on the ps3. Admittedly the number of cases is small, but I assumed that was on devs not Sony.

I said back when the Gaikai acquisition was announced that it'd be cool if they let you play PSN games on any device of you subscribed to Plus.

Seems unlikely, though, given all you already get with Plus. Maybe with a tiered Plus?

Good we need games like Hawken, X-Com, Worms, Castle Crashers etc that can be played with PC friends. Cross platform gaming is a must for me

This part is very interesting it. With all the negativity over next-gen consoles; Microsoft rumored to and Sony patent ready to do so, removing used games from the equation and current-gen anxiety over online codes (console and PC), this might be the best solution. If you want the benefit of being a console and mobile gamer that will use Gaikai to its full advantage, buy new and have the game available everywhere on all certified devices.

Used gamers still get to play the game, go online for normal gaming purposes, but the full experience of accessibility with other devices is lost, unless you buy in.

Is Sony smart enough to jump on this? and isn't a fair compromise going forward?

This part is very interesting it. With all the negativity over next-gen consoles; Microsoft rumored to and Sony patent ready to do so, removing used games from the equation and current-gen anxiety over online codes (console and PC), this might be the best solution. If you want the benefit of being a console and mobile gamer that will use Gaikai to its full advantage, buy new and have the game available everywhere on all certified devices.

Used gamers still get to play the game, go online for normal gaming purposes, but the full experience of accessibility with other devices is lost, unless you buy in.

Is Sony smart enough to jump on this? and isn't a fair compromise going forward?

that method is still only working for online heavy game, don't know how many people care for trophies, but single player game will still have used game problem.

I read somewhere that the disc may switch to demo mode without the code

Not sure if you'd want to stream PS4 games since theres a decrease in image quality. Not such a big deal for older games though.

joeblow

Not a chance :)

This isn't about cross-platform play - with Xbox or Nintendo or Steam.

The platform will be PlayStation. 'Just' that PlayStation will be available on various different devices via streaming. So someone playing a multiplayer game on PS3 might be playing against someone on a tablet or a PC or whatever, the latter two streaming the game off their cloud service. But the latter two are still on 'PlayStation'.

If Steambox can and will be put on a wide variety of devices, then why not put it on the PS3? It works well for both Valve and Sony.

Think about it - Sony and Valve teamed up to allow PS3 members to have Steam accounts and share a cross platform game. Yeah, it only worked for one game, but the experiment shows it technically works.

Fast forward to the end of 2013 and the kinks could be mostly worked out. With Linux-based Steambox added as an option for the PS4 (PS+ members get it free?), gamers get a wider variety of options that makes both platforms more appealing.

Who knows? If they went with this idea, Sony could even allow some of its B-tier exclusives (i.e. Journey-type releases) to be released on Steambox and make more money that way as well.

A gamer could dream.

alphaNoid

Banned
Planetside 2 cross platform confirmed?

This is immediately what I thought. There isn't going to be some magical tech that Sony invents by buying Gaikai lol. Gaikai is basically doing what people have been doing since the mid 1990s. Tech isn't new, just reinvented and modernized. Sony isn't going to be the 'one' who pushes any industry forward, especially by buying a company then bolting their existing PC tech into a console. Its not done that way, never will be. Thats basically buying someone because you couldn't do it yourself.

Some people here on GAF are waaaaay too excited with hype and are setting themselves up for a big letdown. People, set the expectations low.. be realistic lol

Expect cross platform PC>Vita>PS4 gameplay on some titles. Do not expect this to be the standard for all PS4 games and do not expect Gaikai to remotely be involved in the process.

alphaNoid

Banned
"Local" cloud gaming (an oxymoron, I know)

Its not. Cloud does not mean online at all. Cloud computing is defined the same if its hosted online or a local network as you explained. Cloud computing is no more than simple network computing, local and/or online.

"Cloud" is simply a marketing buzzword that is used to make newer things seem super high tech. In fact the term "cloud" was first used to describe network computing back in the 1980s. Additionally the image of a "cloud" has been used in all professional Visio (and like) diagrams to represent "network" and/or "internet" devices/users.

The Cloud doesn't mean online at all, it means anything not on your local machine. Basically if you printed to a networked printer in the 1990s, you were operating in the 'cloud'. Don't let fancy marketing graduates confuse you. Don't let Sony, don't let Microsoft trick you into thinking their technology is cutting edge, when most of it has been widely in use on PCs for nearly 25 years. Albeit mostly in the Enterprise workspace.

If Steambox can and will be put on a wide variety of devices, then why not put it on the PS3? It works well for both Valve and Sony.

Think about it - Sony and Valve teamed up to allow PS3 members to have Steam accounts and share a cross platform game. Yeah, it only worked for one game, but the experiment shows it technically works.

Fast forward to the end of 2013 and the kinks could be mostly worked out. With Linux-based Steambox added as an option for the PS4 (PS+ members get it free?), gamers get a wider variety of options that makes both platforms more appealing.

Who knows? If they went with this idea, Sony could even allow some of its B-tier exclusives (i.e. Journey-type releases) to be released on Steambox and make more money that way as well.

A gamer could dream.
Each game will have to be programmed to support it, mean extra work for publishers for no gains other than good pr from the super hardcore niche, unless ps4 have dual boot linux os and can play linux game, steam/ps4 integration is unlikely imo.

Edit: valve may actually like if ps4 become linux capable steambox, that will make ps4 a trojan horse to spread linux gaming needed by steambox, but if that mean to open ps4 and allow linux once again, Sony will never ok with that, fear of hacking and piracy etc.

Top Bottom