• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Secretary of State contenders are Iran hawk John Bolton and Rudy Giuliani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON—Aides to President-elect Donald Trump are focusing on former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton as the leading candidates to be the next secretary of state, two people familiar with the process said.

The choice between the two would force Mr. Trump to choose between Mr. Giuliani, a longtime friend and ally in New York, and Mr. Bolton, a hawkish conservative diplomat who called last year for the U.S. to bomb Iran.

A final decision could be several weeks away, these people said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rudy-gi...idates-for-next-secretary-of-state-1479156004

Well, let's hear what John Bolton has to say about Iran.

The inescapable conclusion is that Iran will not negotiate away its nuclear program. Nor will sanctions block its building a broad and deep weapons infrastructure. The inconvenient truth is that only military action like Israel’s 1981 attack on Saddam Hussein’s Osirak reactor in Iraq or its 2007 destruction of a Syrian reactor, designed and built by North Korea, can accomplish what is required. Time is terribly short, but a strike can still succeed.

Rendering inoperable the Natanz and Fordow uranium-enrichment installations and the Arak heavy-water production facility and reactor would be priorities. So, too, would be the little-noticed but critical uranium-conversion facility at Isfahan. An attack need not destroy all of Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, but by breaking key links in the nuclear-fuel cycle, it could set back its program by three to five years. The United States could do a thorough job of destruction, but Israel alone can do what’s necessary. Such action should be combined with vigorous American support for Iran’s opposition, aimed at regime change in Tehran.

People who voted for Trump because "he's not a neocon!" please dunk yourselves in a toilet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/opinion/to-stop-irans-bomb-bomb-iran.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

FUCK, either we get Giuliani who has turned into/revealed himself to be a raging asshole or we get Bolton, who I remember being a fucking terrible Ambassador to the UN. He seemed to have an open contempt for the UN as a whole; having him in an even more powerful position would be awful.

Fox318

AT this point I'm not sure Trump has enough people he knows to fill positions like this.

Its why he's sticking with early allies and establishment guys.

Dude Abides

Banned
Giuliani? Might as well appoint Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Bolton is a deranged loon but at least he has worked in foreign policy.

G.ZZZ

Washington confirmed possible nuke area?

Seriously if it's either of them i'm bombing myself in the fucking white house. The world has enough of your "policing" america.

Would rather Giuliani head Sec of State than Attorney General...

This

AG has more power in domestic issues than practically anyone else in the cabinet

BUT if Trump puts someone in who goes up against Marijuana... that could be the end of the Trump campaign right there

More people want legal weed in the US than ever came close to voting Trump - and I'd bet at least 1/4th of his voters support it too

I don't know. Here in the UK he has a very positive image due to how he turned New York around in the 90s.

Uhh, yeah, he has devolved into an embarrassing lunatic who just screams all the time.

When he starts getting interviews in other countries, your country's opinion of him will adjust.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Aren't they both Iran hawks? (Bolton is off the scale though)

I really hope all that progress that's been made with Iran isn't going to be undone...

I'd say the Iranian hardliners' biggest allies in the 2000s have been Bush and co(including Bolton) as their rhetoric pushed the Iranian population to elect right wingers over there.

Kickz

giphy.gif

Mr. 9/11 himself.

Can't wait to see what kind of terrorist paranoia he's going to bring with him to all his heads of state meetings.

Ambassadors are just going to LOOOOOVE him.

Giuliani? What the fuck kind of foreign experience does he have, other than occasionally towing UN Ambassadors' cars?

And Bolton, ugh. You want to talk about "bad experience," Jesus Christ.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Giuliani succeeding in life is almost more astounding than a trump presidency.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i like the fanfiction some people spin about obama "shocking" trump or whatever, but would be nice if the orange man would actually do something to make it seem even sort of plausible.

Guiliani on Secretary of State and Christie on Attorney General is my preferred scenario. Guiliani might be so out of his depth at State that it might tone him down, and Christie is somewhat sane.

To be fair.. Kerry, Clinton and other seniors around the Obama administration wanted to directly bomb Assad and Assad allies. It's ultimately up to the President to call the decision.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At this point, I'd much rather they shoot me and declare my corpse the attorney general.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guiliani on Secretary of State and Christie on Attorney General is my preferred scenario. Guiliani might be so out of his depth at State that it might tone him down, and Christie is somewhat sane.

Christie is also a vindictive asshole, so I'd rather not have him in a position where he can use law enforcement against his enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom