• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Secretary of State contenders are Iran hawk John Bolton and Rudy Giuliani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair.. Kerry, Clinton and other seniors around the Obama administration wanted to directly bomb Assad and Assad allies. It's ultimately up to the President to call the decision.

Not Assad's allies, but just Assad. I think they really on pushed for that after the chemical bombing, but not exactly know though because of Russia being there. Trump can be easily influenced assuming he isn't that dedicated to his beliefs.

Aselith

To be fair.. Kerry, Clinton and other seniors around the Obama administration wanted to directly bomb Assad and Assad allies. It's ultimately up to the President to call the decision.

The fear is that Trump isn't experienced enough to make good calls OR he leaves it up to his advisors completely which both seem equally likely.

What a terrible 4 years to have a curse...

6a00d83452033569e2010535c74cb2970b-800wi.png

I don't know. Here in the UK he has a very positive image due to how he turned New York around in the 90s.

He turned it around by targeting minorities and the poor, although crime, for instance, was trending down before he took office. He's a predator. Ya'll should take a look at modern day Giuliani though, go watch some videos of him as a Trump surrogate.

Iksenpets

Banned
Is Bolton an actual hawk or is he going to a slink away from confronting Russia as well?

Bolton is the king hawk. Like, I literally cannot name a person in the American foreign policy establishment more hawkish. He's like a joke character made up to frighten young non-interventionists, but real.

marrec

Banned
Is Trumps game to give us like, two laughably bad choices so that we think "well I guess John Bolton isn't as bad as Rudy Giuliani" and we feel better about John Bolton?

Nibiru

Banned
Bolton is a big fearmongerer about Russia so that would be a strange pick considering the Dem narrative that Trump works for Putin.

Ah, yes, Bolton. The man who felt that the main problem with the UN was that other countries had a say in it, and that it needed to be reformed into a mindless tool for imposing Bush's foreign policy on the rest of the world.

Is Trumps game to give us like, two laughably bad choices so that we think "well I guess John Bolton isn't as bad as Rudy Giuliani" and we feel better about John Bolton?

Giuliani is actually better than Bolton here, if partly because it keeps him from being Attorney General.

Acorn

John Bolton is the zit that refuses to disappear of American politics. I swear he must be on whatever murdoch takes to make him immortal.

Loxley

Still waiting for a good pick from Trump.

Don't bother. You'll notice that the only political figures who publicly attached themselves to Trump are men who's careers in politics were otherwise dead (for a reason) and were willing to say and do anything in order to stay relevant in the political scene. So guys like Newt Gingrich, Chris Christie, Ben Carson and Giuliani are as "good" as it's going to get.

The window to attack Iran and getting away with it has probably closed. If Trump follows through with John Bolton's idiocy, there would be a backlash worldwide and would probably result in a reduction of American influence.

Iran is heavily pivoting towards Russia and China, attacking them now would just simply be pure stupidity.

It must frustrate Trump that he's left with such poor pickings. I'm sure he would like to consider others, because neither of those two candidates seem particularly adoptive of his foreign policy sentiments.

Bolton is a remnant of the Iraq debacle, and Trump opens himself up to ridicule both domestically and abroad if he appoints one of the most stringent advocates (to this day) to that war. This is nothing to say of his brutish and petulant nature when interviewed.

Giuliani is more suited to be a regular guest on Fox's morning shoes than anywhere in government.

Let's hope his Chief of Staff, Priebus, can do his job and get him better candidates because I can't even comprehend the debacle that would be a Brannon, Giuliani and Bolton White House. The press would have a field day in humiliating Trump.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Bolton is a big fearmongerer about Russia so that would be a strange pick considering the Dem narrative that Trump works for Putin.

Well, it might show who is using who. If Trump were to turn on Russia, it would probably show the blackmail angle as bullshit. Trump doesn't have any real loaylty to anyone.

Giuliani seems the somehow sane option here.

Bolton wins!

Don't bother. You'll notice that the only political figures who publicly attached themselves to Trump are men who's careers in politics were otherwise dead (for a reason) and were willing to say and do anything in order to stay relevant in the political scene. So guys like Newt Gingrich, Chris Christie, Ben Carson and Giuliani are as "good" as it's going to get.

Palin!

Steejee

Christ the election was only decided 5 days ago, I don't know if I can take four years of this insanity.

I can only hope that either one gets smacked down by all the other countries involved in the Iran deal.

Zukkoyaki

Choosing Bolton and going to war in Iran would be among the stupidest things done by any administration ever. The blowback both domestically and internationally would be astronomical.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think Giuliani is the much better choice here.

Oriel

Fucking hell, literally two of the worst picks Trump could think of. As if he wants to see America's international reputation go down to toilet just for the lulz. I can already envisage Bolton spitting in the face of the Iranian FM and then egging him on to retaliate so he could recommend immediate bombing of Tehran as a response. He's that insane!

As for Giuliani, pffft..........

Oriel

Is Bolton an actual hawk or is he going to a slink away from confronting Russia as well?

Oh he'd endorse tactical nuclear strikes on America's enemies for sure. The guy is 100% grade-A neo-con warmonger. Not sure how he'd tackle Russia though given that the Kremlin is America's newest besties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom