• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh man... can't wait to get home. highest on my list of hoped for fixes:

improved watch battery life. "don't install betas.. they kill your battery"... yes, I know this. still sucks that on my two early days, which also have workouts.. my watch dies around 8pm.. :(

prior to the beta my watch never hit below 40% on those days. so even if it just LIVES til bedtime (at 4%) I'd be happy with that for now..

lock screen glitches.. primarily Now Playing on my lock screen has almost always been busted in the beta. beyond that the screen will get stuck, notifications half off of it, etc.

it does seem that Siri glitching on the Watch was marked as resolved. "Hey Siri" would pop her open, transcribe.. then would launch her again.. depending on what you asked her to do it would either work anyway (send a message), to not work at all (anything HomeKit would not fire before the second session started up)

oh yeah, and hopefully they added iOS 11 beta to the feedback app :p

Smoother on my 7 Plus so far.

Only other change I’ve noticed is the Now Playing now displays album art. Which is good.

Edit: On iPad, you can now select to remove apps from the right of your dock (the “recently opened” section). Just hold your finger on the app and hit the X, and you’re given an option to delete the app or remove it from the dock.

any way to remove an app from those "3 most recently used apps" in the dock?

Closing it via the multitasking screen doesn't remove it. I have to open 3 other apps (that aren't already in the static part of the dock) to purge it from there. Asking for ... a friend, who purposefully uses an alternative browser hidden inside an inconspicuous folder for his alone time :p

Your prayers have been answered!

Edit 2: Still can’t swipe notifications to dismiss them. Ugh.

Edit 3: Do Not Disturb While Driving works now!

They better fix notifications before release, I find it hard to believe they took ANOTHER step back by getting rid of swiping. It has to be a glitch, right?

They better fix notifications before release, I find it hard to believe they took ANOTHER step back by getting rid of swiping. It has to be a glitch, right?

My guess is that they got rid of it on purpose to push 3D Touch more to the forefront, as that’s the only way (I’m aware of) to dismiss notifications now.

Maybe if enough people complain though...

How do you get rid of notifications on the new iPad?

Double tap the little X in the corner to get rid of all of them. Hold and tap to get rid of one (if memory serves. I have no notifications on my iPad at the moment so I can’t test it right now).

Not the most elegant solution. They need to bring back the swipe.

F34R

How do you get rid of notifications on the new iPad?

You can swipe left on the notification banner, choose clear. (lock screen)
Swipe up on it when unlocked, in an app, etc.

edit:

I didn't see until afterwards that this is about iOS 11. my bad.

btkadams

It looks like you can now swipe up once to bring up the control center/app switcher on iPad in beta 2. You just swipe up the full length of the screen. Before, I recall having to swipe up once to bring the dock up and then swipe again for the control center and app switcher view. Much better.

It looks like you can now swipe up once to bring up the control center/app switcher on iPad in beta 2. You just swipe up the full length of the screen. Before, I recall having to swipe up once to bring the dock up and then swipe again for the control center and app switcher view. Much better.

That behavior worked for me in beta 1, albeit sporadically

Current annoyance is that dictation capitalizes every first letter

Like This, I Have no Idea Why It’s Happening

Guess Who

Banned
Performance is way better on my iPad mini 4, though still not as fluid as I'd like. Still, seems like something that could be resolved with another beta or two. Beta 1 had some animations that were consistently like, 15fps.

They added fifteen second skips forward and backward for videos played in Safari.

Unless that was already there and I never noticed it. But normally I would notice something like that, I think.

Vuze

Edit: On iPad, you can now select to remove apps from the right of your dock (the “recently opened” section). Just hold your finger on the app and hit the X, and you’re given an option to delete the app or remove it from the dock.
Doesn’t work on my 2017 iPad for some reason.
E: Ah, only on the home screen.

Th overhauled now playing is good though, finally can select the output without having anything playing. I also feel they shortened the hold time required to bring up the X symbols in the app overview which is good. They should still replace 5he tap hold tap with a simple swipe up like before imo...

hirokazu

Short swipe up to bring the dock, another swipe up to bring up app switcher and control centre. Or long swip up to go directly to control centre. It was like this in beta 1 as well.

Doesn’t work on my 2017 iPad for some reason.
E: Ah, only on the home screen.
Kinda dumb it doesn’t work unless you’re on the Home Screen. Anyway, I tried it in portrait and could get the icons to jiggle. Tried again in landscape and it jiggled but tapping the X still did nothing haha.

Sch1sm

Takes me forever to go through them now because a lot of the time I don't want to clear them all, just a select few. Pressing down, waiting for the option to delete. Annoying as hell.

My guess is that they got rid of it on purpose to push 3D Touch more to the forefront, as that's the only way (I'm aware of) to dismiss notifications now.

Maybe if enough people complain though...

I don't get why they'd do that considering the iPhone 6, which doesn't have 3D Touch, is able to use iOS 11. It feels like an oversight, especially since that's the device I'm on. I won't be buying a newer one until closer to the end of the year, too. ;-;

They added fifteen second skips forward and backward for videos played in Safari.

Unless that was already there and I never noticed it. But normally I would notice something like that, I think.

Was definitely there in the first dev beta, if you missed it then.

All they had to do was copy android notifications but no they decided to do one worse and go the opposite direction in improving functionality.

CraigMcD

Not that I'm aware. One of the things they need to fix. They can't possibly leave it as is.

You'd think that you'd be able to drag the previews. As it is, the previews are pointless now because they're so small that it's hard to read the contents.

Smoother on my 7 Plus so far.

Only other change I’ve noticed is the Now Playing now displays album art. Which is good.

Your prayers have been answered!

Edit 2: Still can’t swipe notifications to dismiss them. Ugh.

Edit 3: Do Not Disturb While Driving works now!

You can actually just disable recent apps completely, it's in settings under General > Multitasking.

Yeah, what Apple's doing with iOS notifications just confuses me.

I don't hate the separation of 'recent' and 'older' notifications as a concept, but if you're going to do that there's even *more* reason to group the older ones together by app.

I don't hate the separation of 'recent' and 'older' notifications as a concept, but if you're going to do that there's even *more* reason to group the older ones together by app.

I just hate how seemingly random the label of “older” is applied to notifications. Sometimes, notifications that literally just popped will be grouped under older, and other times not.

Obviously it’s a beta and bound to change (hopefully), but still, it would be nice if you got some kind of control over how old a notification had to be before getting grouped there.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Agreed. I’ve rarely had big complaints but notifications and the new pull down dynamic is a mess.

Enzom21

DB2MBl9U0AAQysc.jpg:large
Good improvement.

The location of "Pay with Touch ID" makes me hopeful that the fingerprint scanner will be embedded under the screen for the iPhone 8.

Juice

Is there a way to multitask with something that isn't in the dock?

Yes, you can multi-hand touch-and-hold the app you want from the home screen or from the spotlight results screen, then use the other hand to pull up the task-switcher and drop it.

Guess Who

Banned
Is there a way to multitask with something that isn't in the dock?

Yes.

Open first app. Return to home screen, find the second app icon and drag it. While still holding the app icon in "drag" mode, open the first app again (you can still interact with other things on screen while in drag and drop mode). Now you can drag the second icon into multitasking mode.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So they put out a second verson of the second iOS 11 beta for devs. Does this mean there was a big bug that might delay the PB? Or is it a sign that the PB could be ready soon?

I want it so bad!!!

So they put out a second verson of the second iOS 11 beta for devs. Does this mean there was a big bug that might delay the PB? Or is it a sign that the PB could be ready soon?

I want it so bad!!!

Not every iOS 11 device is getting the update, only certain ones. Wonder if it fixes the restore bug that was hitting a lot of people if they tried to downgrade

If this actually works as well as it looks this is a rather impressive use of ARKit.

AR Measure App Demo

I’m actually blown away

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, I'm going in. I've backed everything up. This'll be the first beta on my iPhone 7+. But it's only showing me 10.3.3 Beta 4 right now. Do I need to update to that first before it'll show me 11?

Top Bottom