• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Draper

public beta is coming super soon, def hold off for a few more days if your deciding to pull the trigger on the dev beta.

That's fair. How come none of my messages transferred over? I feel like it has in the past. Also, is there a pip kinda thing on this?

I have to say the promotion hype is real, definitely the most notable update since the retina screen, can't wait for the public beta to release so I can use it on this shiny new 10.5 pro

giga

500px is raving about HEIF: https://iso.500px.com/heif-first-nail-jpegs-coffin/

d27r5ck.png

JPEG is 25 years old and showing its age. Compression has become a big deal as we’ve moved to 4K and HDR video, and HEVC was developed to compress those huge video streams. Luckily HEVC also has a still image profile. The format doesn’t just beat JPEG, JPEG 2000, JPEG XR, and WebP—it handily crushes them. It claims a 2 to 1 increase in compression over JPEG at similar quality levels. In our tests, we’ve seen even better levels, depending on the subject of the image.

10-bit support in HEIF will be such an improvement over 8-bit jpeg. I really hope services like Instagram get on board asap because I can't begin to tell you the amount of times their image processor has ruined my beautiful skies and gradients.

(Yes I know you can now capture raws with more depth but this is about compression and sharing.)

So are there downsides? HEVC is patent encumbered, and heavily so.

Because why would Apple ever support a format that wasn't, right? This is just going to end up leading to another one of those completely unnecessary format wars between open source and license fees with Apple completely ignoring everything outside of their bubble because reasons. Chrome's become my defacto Youtube player because Safari still doesn't support VP9.

LeleSocho

Banned

d27r5ck.png

10-bit support in HEIF will be such an improvement over 8-bit jpeg. I really hope services like Instagram get on board asap because I can't begin to tell you the amount of times their image processor has ruined my beautiful skies and gradients.

(Yes I know you can now capture raws with more depth but this is about compression and sharing.)

Do i look like i know what jpeg is? i just want a picture of a goddang hotdog!

giga

Because why would Apple ever support a format that wasn't, right? This is just going to end up leading to another one of those completely unnecessary format wars between open source and license fees with Apple completely ignoring everything outside of their bubble because reasons. Chrome's become my defacto Youtube player because Safari still doesn't support VP9.
I would've welcomed VP9 support, but hasn't the writing been on the wall for a while now with the industry (Netflix, Amazon, vudu, etc.) going with HEVC? Makes a lot of sense after that to just build off of HEVC for image compression.

jstripes

Banned

d27r5ck.png

Let's hope with WWDC Apple gave guidance on how to adopt HEIF.

Seriously, it's beyond damn time we retire JPEG.

giga

Let's hope with WWDC Apple gave guidance on how to adopt HEIF.

Seriously, it's beyond damn time we retire JPEG.
It's supported in the photos and core image apis. Encoding, displaying, and exporting. I'm sure non apple platforms will get support in time.

For now it'a just going to be a way to save higher quality compressed photos from the camera while using less space.

I would've welcomed VP9 support, but hasn't the writing been on the wall for a while now with the industry (Netflix, Amazon, vudu, etc.) going with HEVC? Makes a lot of sense after that to just build off of HEVC for image compression.

There's still hope for AV1. Has the MPEG discussed any sort of follow-ups to HEVC?

jstripes

Banned
It's supported in the photos and core image apis. Encoding, displaying, and exporting. I'm sure non apple platforms will get support in time.

For now it'a just going to be a way to save higher quality compressed photos from the camera while using less space.

It supports 10-bit colour as well, which will be huge if the new iPhones have 10-bit displays.

It supports 10-bit colour as well, which will be huge if the new iPhones have 10-bit displays.

I really hope they do. And not the "8+2 bit" stuff either. Not only on the iPhone, but all their devices.

I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro because I was tired of waiting, but I'll be in again for 10-bit, HDR, and native 1680x1050+ screens on the 15" MBP.

I would also love 120Hz, but that's starting to be a tall order.

Same with AV1 acceleration support for future-proofing, but that's frankly probably a pipe-dream, given how Intel has decided that it's going to hold back video codec, DRM, and video output support as new processor generation "features".

NYR

Anyone having problems with Reddit on the iPad? Can't seem to save posts, up vote, etc. Basically anything with a JavaScript link.

Edit:
Fixed it. Went in settings, advanced, website data and deleted entry for Reddit. Everything start working again.

I tried to download 80GB of music off of Apple Music on iOS11 and it seems like I may have permanently broken the app. It won’t open at all and even going into music settings crashes.

Fuck.

Fliesen

any way to remove an app from those "3 most recently used apps" in the dock?

Closing it via the multitasking screen doesn't remove it. I have to open 3 other apps (that aren't already in the static part of the dock) to purge it from there. Asking for ... a friend, who purposefully uses an alternative browser hidden inside an inconspicuous folder for his alone time :p

Deku Tree

Somehow I feel like the "file system" in good reader is going to be better and more functional than the file system that Apple provides in iOS11... GoodReader connects to GoogleDrive, Box Sync, DropBox and others, it connects to FTP servers and SFTP servers and you only have to put your password in once. You can create tons of "sync" folders and you only need to press the "Sync" button to make all of them sync with your cloud server or FTP. You can also set up "download only sync" if you don't want to sync both ways. Then you can send or receive any file from any other iOS app.

The nice thing will be if Apple lets you use their files App as a central location for all your files so they no longer have to be contained within specific Apps...

Did anyone make a list of what breaks in iOS11 beta? Does google drive work? How about GoodReader?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The nice thing will be if Apple lets you use their files App as a central location for all your files so they no longer have to be contained within specific Apps...?
No way...... the problem is if all files are kept in a singular place, then all apps have access to all files. Conversely other apps then have access to each other (through overflows in malicious file data). You lose ALL of the benefits of sandboxing and we head back to an easily compromised/infected system.

I'd much rather see smarter protocols of passing information and data between apps rather than travel back in technology to the Stone Age where everything just had full access to everything else.

Ambient80

I checked out the new 10.5 iPads and wow, that screen is something else. I didn’t think the refresh rate change would make a big difference but it looks fantastic in motion. I may sell my 12” and go with the new 10.5”. This thing has been too bulky for me to carry consistently.

For those with the 10.5", how's the accidental touch on the sides now that the bezel is so thin. Is it harder to hold in portrait without touching/affecting the screen?

Jeffrey

For those with the 10.5", how's the accidental touch on the sides now that the bezel is so thin. Is it harder to hold in portrait without touching/affecting the screen?

nope. apple been improving their detection tech over the generations of ipad minis (rip).

120hz screen is soo good, is it a given for iphone 2017? It's just so good... especially compared to my galaxy s8 which struggles to hold 60fps for normal stuff :p

hirokazu

I don’t believe it will, given that the setting is in the “camera” section of Settings and not Photos. I imagine it’s for new captures only
Plus you don’t really want to recompress media that’s already been compressed, unless you don’t care about losing quality.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any way to remove an app from those "3 most recently used apps" in the dock?

Closing it via the multitasking screen doesn't remove it. I have to open 3 other apps (that aren't already in the static part of the dock) to purge it from there. Asking for ... a friend, who purposefully uses an alternative browser hidden inside an inconspicuous folder for his alone time :p

It's a dumb system isn't it? If I use apps often I'll put them in the dock for convenience. If I simply used them recently they'll be in multitasking. There are lots of apps I use only occasionally that I don't want taking up space in the dock.

I would also like the option to have that larger dock as my only dock - get rid of the other one with only 6 icons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's almost impossible for me to accidentally touch something even if I try. If I hold mobile Gaf in my hands, I have to roll my thumbs so they're almost coming off the bezel fully onto the active screen area before it recognises it as an active touch.

Chittagong

Gold Member
xXi6foj_d.jpg

Traded my old iPad Air 2 yesterday for a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I have the 1st gen 12.9 inch which I absolutely adore, so I wanted to see whether I'd enjoy the convenience of a smaller Pro enough to move to this size fully, or whether I still want to upgrade the bigger Pro too. In that case this will become my office iPad for taking notes in meetings.

So far, it's a lovely device. The screen seems somehow even sharper and the colours even more vivid. It's super responsive, and no problems with accidental touch of the edges.

My only problem is that I can't get my Apple Pencil connect to either Pro anymore. It's been unused for a year or so. When I plug it in it asks whether I want to pair it, is added to the device list as Connected for a brief moment, then it goes Not Connected and won't manually connect, unless I replug it in.

Fliesen

It's a dumb system isn't it? If I use apps often I'll put them in the dock for convenience. If I simply used them recently they'll be in multitasking. There are lots of apps I use only occasionally that I don't want taking up space in the dock.

I would also like the option to have that larger dock as my only dock - get rid of the other one with only 6 icons.

well, in principle it's kinda neat. It puts the last 3 (or 2 - one of the icons will be replaced for 'hand-off' apps) not-already-docked apps there. The dock is far easier to evoke (swipe up) than the multi-task screen so constantly swapping back and forth between a few select apps is done more easily now.

Still, i'd love to be able to just remove an icon by hand... i mean ... that friend of mine would love to ...

Enzom21

I wish they could just make the regular iPad cover but with a little loop for the Pencil. Like Microsoft did it.

worked.jpg

The loop isn't built into the typecover.
It is a little stick on holder that starts to loosen over time and won't hold the pen for shit.
0003390815_lg.jpg

It is not a good solution.

F34R

I checked out the new 10.5 iPads and wow, that screen is something else. I didn’t think the refresh rate change would make a big difference but it looks fantastic in motion. I may sell my 12” and go with the new 10.5”. This thing has been too bulky for me to carry consistently.
I didn't know how much it would differ from my Air 2, but dayum... I can't go back now. Loving it.

It has improved for sure.

CraigMcD

xXi6foj_d.jpg

Traded my old iPad Air 2 yesterday for a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I have the 1st gen 12.9 inch which I absolutely adore, so I wanted to see whether I'd enjoy the convenience of a smaller Pro enough to move to this size fully, or whether I still want to upgrade the bigger Pro too. In that case this will become my office iPad for taking notes in meetings.

So far, it's a lovely device. The screen seems somehow even sharper and the colours even more vivid. It's super responsive, and no problems with accidental touch of the edges.

My only problem is that I can't get my Apple Pencil connect to either Pro anymore. It's been unused for a year or so. When I plug it in it asks whether I want to pair it, is added to the device list as Connected for a brief moment, then it goes Not Connected and won't manually connect, unless I replug it in.
It needs charged.

Ambient80

xXi6foj_d.jpg

Traded my old iPad Air 2 yesterday for a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I have the 1st gen 12.9 inch which I absolutely adore, so I wanted to see whether I'd enjoy the convenience of a smaller Pro enough to move to this size fully, or whether I still want to upgrade the bigger Pro too.

When you say “traded” one iPad for another, how do you mean? Does Apple have a sort of buyback program? I’m really tempted to sell my Pro for the newer smaller one but if I can do it all through Apple that would be ideal.

Do you mean charged by sticking it up an iPad? I left it in for a few hours last light

Weird. You said it was inactive for a long time? Maybe go in and forget the pencil under Bluetooth settings and try totally repairing it? I haven’t had that issue before ;(

Chittagong

Gold Member
When you say ”traded" one iPad for another, how do you mean? Does Apple have a sort of buyback program? I'm really tempted to sell my Pro for the newer smaller one but if I can do it all through Apple that would be ideal.
(

Yeah Apple operates their own trade in program at Apple Stores. You just need to bring your device and a photo ID, and they'll discount the price from your cost. Please note however that they don't trade 'current gen' devices in, and their trade-in list hasn't refreshed yet, they refresh just once a month. So I couldn't trade in yet my bigger first ten 12.9 iPad for the second generation, because currently it's listed as 'current gen'. The list will update in early July, according to the Apple Store rep

Weird. You said it was inactive for a long time? Maybe go in and forget the pencil under Bluetooth settings and try totally repairing it? I haven't had that issue before ;(

Probably nearly a year, only now with iOS 11 there is enough stuff to do with it for me. Tried forgetting it, tried on both of my iPad Pros.

When I plug it in, the pairing prompt comes up. When I accept, the pencil briefly shows 'Connected' under 'My Devices', then goes under 'Other Devices'. If I then tap it again, the connection fails due to timeout.

Chatting with Apple support now.

The benchmarks for the new 12" Macbook look very impressive so far. The base m3 model is matching the benchmarks of a core i5 in current Dell XPS 13's.

Ambient80

Yeah Apple operates their own trade in program at Apple Stores. You just need to bring your device and a photo ID, and they'll discount the price from your cost. Please note however that they don't trade 'current gen' devices in, and their trade-in list hasn't refreshed yet, they refresh just once a month. So I couldn't trade in yet my bigger first ten 12.9 iPad for the second generation, because currently it's listed as 'current gen'. The list will update in early July, according to the Apple Store rep

I had no idea, thanks for the info!

Probably nearly a year, only now with iOS 11 there is enough stuff to do with it for me. Tried forgetting it, tried on both of my iPad Pros.

When I plug it in, the pairing prompt comes up. When I accept, the pencil briefly shows 'Connected' under 'My Devices', then goes under 'Other Devices'. If I then tap it again, the connection fails due to timeout.

Chatting with Apple support now.

Huh, that’s odd. Yeah best bet is probably talking with them. May just need a replacement.

bionic77

The benchmarks for the new 12" Macbook look very impressive so far. The base m3 model is matching the benchmarks of a core i5 in current Dell XPS 13's.
Looks like they finally got the power to portability right on it.

Just like with the Air it took a while for the tech to catch up to the design.

I am probably going to upgrade my laptop next year and I can't design between the 12" MB or the 13" Pro. I will have to screw around with them for awhile in the Apple Store.

Voidance

Yeah, the new 4.5W processors are really impressive. I slightly regret getting my MacBook last October and not waiting, but that's technology for you.

Yup. And with the keyboard improvements (though I'd like to see further improvements to travel and response) it's fixing the issues that aren't directly tied to horsepower, too.

ESBL

Alright I'm on the fence now of whether to get an iPad Pro 10.5 or a Macbook 12", I really can't decide, its really for media consumption and basic Office task.

Alright I'm on the fence now of whether to get an iPad Pro 10.5 or a Macbook 12", I really can't decide, its really for media consumption and basic Office task.

iPad Pro, consuming media on an iPad is so much nicer than a Mac and the Office apps are really great on iOS.

I have a desktop and between that and my 9.7 inch I don’t think I’ll buy a laptop again

ESBL

iPad Pro, consuming media on an iPad is so much nicer than a Mac and the Office apps are really great on iOS.

I have a desktop and between that and my 9.7 inch I don’t think I’ll buy a laptop again

That's the thing I don't have a desktop. My current MacBook is my only computer.

KdotIX

Let me put it this way, I sold off my upgraded 2015 rMBP and bought this 10.5" iPad Pro because like you, I only used my laptop for media consumption and simple office tasks, The iPad is great, much more portable than my laptop was, in fact, I mainly use this to browse gaf and I'm typing this reply on it right now. Besides, if I want to do some meaningful work or play some games, I can jump onto my desktop or my Mac mini to do some Xcode work, I prefer the larger screen real estate for such things.

If you don't have a desktop, then maybe you will want to get a MacBook as it would be your only system.

Top Bottom