• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Yeah I wanna check these out. I've got a pair of four- and two-year old laptops I'm perfectly happy with but I'm irrationally tempted to pick a 10.5" iPad Pro up, even if the smarter thing to do is to save my shiny-technology dollars for a new iPhone and maybe a Series 3 Apple Watch this fall, or a new iMac in 2018.

Yeoman

story time!

i had a 2009 13 MBP on its last legs. being in grad school, i was highly dependent on my laptop and was in the market for a used macbook. i ended up purchasing a 2012 15 rMBP with a service battery issue for 650. from here, i sold my 13 for 250. so overall, it was roughly 400 to upgrade to the 2012.

well, i went to get the battery fixed at the apple store. apparently, that model's battery was in short supply until september. apple offered me a replacement refurbished model of similar specs since the repair was going to take too long. i agreed and they said the turnaround would be 48 hours. i wait a week (last saturday) and they call to apologize about the long time. they offer me a 2015 15 rMBP. my old model had a dGPU and so i pushed to get a model with a dGPU since they promised similar specs. apple offered me the model with the amd 370x, much to my elation. the next day i go to the store and pick up the model only to find it's only got iris graphics. i call apple and they offered to replace it with a tbMBP with a dGPU but they have to charge me the difference. i'm fine with it since overall i'm still saving a ton of money.

lucky for me, the store was out of stock of models and WWDC was the next day. i wait a week again and apple has no call so i ring them up and they notify me that they are going to give me the newest model at no charge. i just picked up the 2017 15 tbMBP and i'm shocked at the quality of the customer service.

400 bucks to upgrade from a 2009 13 to a 2017 15? i clearly have used up all my luck just now
Damn that's awesome. I have to give credit to Apple's customer service, they really are good.

Can you run the 11 beta on the 2017 iPad pros?

Yes. Reviewers have already done so. But even though that's where all of the truly sexy WWDC 2017 features went, you're still probably better off waiting for the first public beta to install if you just want to take it for a spin instead of really being a core part of the feedback/bug reporting process.

j-wood

Just picked up my ipad pro 10.5 with an apple pencil. Wow this is awesome. I really want to get into drawing stuff and graphic design, what app should i look into?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When you do a DFU restore to previous iOS, does that automatically mean the phone is restored to factory state and you need to restore a backup? I'm waging my options here of going back to 10.3 if the 2nd ios11 beta doesn't drastically improve the performance on my iphone 6.

Then again, I'm realising it might be too late, as I've already had automatic backups done into icloud with ios11 installed, and those are probably not going to restore, if I go back to 10.3.

So I picked up my 10.5 this morning. It is amazing. The 120hz screen is a great feature, and really makes it hard to go back. I hope the new phones get it as well. I'm coming from a 12.9 and the writing w/ the Pencil on this one is insane. This sounds like hyperbole but it feels like paper - I mean zero lag. I don't have iOS 11 beta, so the rest of the features I'll have to wait, but if you're on the fence, I highly recommend the 10.5 - perfect sweet spot in terms of size.

Also picked up the Logitech Slim Combo case. It's pretty good. The keyboard is great - feels like a legit laptop keyboard - but the case is a little bulky. The kickstand feature is really cool though. It's high quality and gives you a lot of options on how to set it up. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it, but I wanted a case that has the keyboard and can also hold a Pencil, so it does the job for now.

When you do a DFU restore to previous iOS, does that automatically mean the phone is restored to factory state and you need to restore a backup? I'm waging my options here of going back to 10.3 if the 2nd ios11 beta doesn't drastically improve the performance on my iphone 6.

Then again, I'm realising it might be too late, as I've already had automatic backups done into icloud with ios11 installed, and those are probably not going to restore, if I go back to 10.3.

Yes, DFU wipes the slate 100% clean

And correct, you cannot put an iOS11 backup onto iOS 10. And iCloud only keeps the three most recent backups. If you’ve had 11 for more than three days and didn’t make an iTunes backup before all this you might be stuck

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yes, DFU wipes the slate 100% clean

And correct, you cannot put an iOS11 backup onto iOS 10. And iCloud only keeps the three most recent backups. If you’ve had 11 for more than three days and didn’t make an iTunes backup before all this you might be stuck
I dunno how the hell I've forgotten to make an itunes backup before doing all this. Total idiocy on my part.

Are you sure that ios11 icloud backup can't be restored on ios10? Has someone tried it already?

I dunno how the hell I've forgotten to make an itunes backup before doing all this. Total idiocy on my part.

Are you sure that ios11 icloud backup can't be restored on ios10? Has someone tried it already?

You can never go backwards with backups. Not even to a small point release. You can’t put a 10.3.2 backup on 10.3.1. This is the law of the land

So I picked up my 10.5 this morning. It is amazing. The 120hz screen is a great feature, and really makes it hard to go back. I hope the new phones get it as well. I'm coming from a 12.9 and the writing w/ the Pencil on this one is insane. This sounds like hyperbole but it feels like paper - I mean zero lag. I don't have iOS 11 beta, so the rest of the features I'll have to wait, but if you're on the fence, I highly recommend the 10.5 - perfect sweet spot in terms of size.

Also picked up the Logitech Slim Combo case. It's pretty good. The keyboard is great - feels like a legit laptop keyboard - but the case is a little bulky. The kickstand feature is really cool though. It's high quality and gives you a lot of options on how to set it up. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it, but I wanted a case that has the keyboard and can also hold a Pencil, so it does the job for now.

I picked up the same thing. iPad 10.5 and the Slim Combo. Love the iPad. I'm coming from an Air 2 and it's quite a big leap. I wish the Slim Combo case were a bit smaller and lighter, but it has the best Combo of features out there. I tried the Smart Keybord in the store and typing felt pretty good, but it has no protection for the back of the iPad, no pencil holder, and less options for standing the iPad than the Slim Combo. In a world of compromises, I think I'd rather take the bulkier keyboard case than lose all of the features it offers to have something a bit thinner and lighter.

I updated my iPad to iOS11 and then erased all content and setting to start from scratch. There are a LOT of QOL improvements with the setup process. You can hold it next to other devices that are set up to move settings over, and it knows what cards you have on Apple Pay on other devices and offers to add them, just need to confirm the CCV

Just tried one of the 10.5" iPads - ProMotion is super nice but I definitely feel like there's some objectionable ghosting going on when I scroll text, especially light text on a dark background.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You can never go backwards with backups. Not even to a small point release. You can’t put a 10.3.2 backup on 10.3.1. This is the law of the land
Ah great. Guess I'll just ride this out, hoping for the best. Then maybe revert to iOS10 while it's still being signed and I'm about to buy iphone 8.

I picked up the same thing. iPad 10.5 and the Slim Combo. Love the iPad. I'm coming from an Air 2 and it's quite a big leap. I wish the Slim Combo case were a bit smaller and lighter, but it has the best Combo of features out there. I tried the Smart Keybord in the store and typing felt pretty good, but it has no protection for the back of the iPad, no pencil holder, and less options for standing the iPad than the Slim Combo. In a world of compromises, I think I'd rather take the bulkier keyboard case than lose all of the features it offers to have something a bit thinner and lighter.
Oh wow. A considerable update went from the Air 2? I'm considering hard now.

NYR

Just got my iPad Pro 10.5. My initial thought moving from my IPad Air 2:

brl19.gif

Amazing device, definitely the next GOAT tablet device, must upgrade.

Saw that new iPad Pro in stores today and it took everything in me not to buy one. That 120hz is incredible. Using the pencil makes drawing on a tablet feel natural for the first time, EVER.

Jeffrey

urgh, new ipad should have launched with 11 stable lol, even if it was delayed until sept.

its whats holding me back atm haha.

Jeffrey

wait so the new ipad supports fast power delivery through usb-c... but doesn't come with a brick and cable that supports it?

Why is apple so cheap about this crap for their premium stuff, yet keep raising the prices?

Felt like every single android phone i've bought from $200-$800 came with cables and a brick that supports their quick charge solution out of the box.

wait so the new ipad supports fast power delivery through usb-c... but doesn't come with a brick and cable that supports it?

Why is apple so cheap about this crap for their premium stuff, yet keep raising the prices?

Felt like every single android phone i've bought from $200-$800 came with cables and a brick that supports their quick charge solution out of the box.

Isn't it because the USB-C brick that you use to charge a MacBook is gigantic compared to what they include with the iPad?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well this is confusing.

For quick charging the adapter just needs to support the the proper voltage so the device can charge at max speed.

The giant MacBook adapters don't support that specific voltage and neither do the pack in adapters.

Only the special $50 adapter.
They really should just include it.
It's only slightly larger than the pack in one.

Jeffrey

For quick charging the adapter just needs to support the the proper voltage so the device can charge at max speed.

The giant MacBook adapters don't support that specific voltage and neither do the pack in adapters.

Only the special $50 adapter.
They really should just include it.
It's only slightly larger than the pack in one.

How about other usbc c pd chargers that work with nexus and pixel etc?

That giant brick doesn't support quick charge either.

Only the special 29w brick which isn't as big.

For the record this is true of the 9.7” but has anyone tested the new generation with the MacBook bricks? They may have changed some internals to accept new voltages

Well I hit my first casualty of beta software. I use an app to manage my classes called iStudiez Pro and it generates a calendar I'm subscribed to on my iCloud account. It works on Sierra and my iOS10 iPad, but not on my phone and new iPad which are on iOS11. It was working before, now, nothing

Well I hit my first casualty of beta software. I use an app to manage my classes called iStudiez Pro and it generates a calendar I'm subscribed to on my iCloud account. It works on Sierra and my iOS10 iPad, but not on my phone and new iPad which are on iOS11. It was working before, now, nothing
Make sure you leave a 1 star review on the App Store for their lack of updates on unreleased software haha

KdKSdoR_d.jpg

Now that’s a fucking computer

I think you meant, Com-POOP-ter because you still can't run Terminal and access all files, so, enjoy your baby computer!

But, really, I'm trying hard not to install iOS 11 on my stuff. After I had a ton of problem on the developer stuff of iOS 10, I told myself I'd hold back (despite not having any problems on 5-9, and even using Apple Maps beta in rural Virginia with zero problems).

Seriously jealous of all of you who are using iOS 11 on new devices. But, I'm going to be stuck with my iPad for another 2 years. Don't want to get on a yearly or even bi-yearly cycle again. I got burned on that iPad 3.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can you change the appearence of the Wifi/Bluetooth/Airplane-Mode/Air-Drop Quader in a horizontal line?
Is this possible for brightness and volume, too?

Top Bottom