• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

One of my issues with my Air 2 is the vibration produced by its speakers. I'm guessing/hoping this isn't a problem anymore?

I had the same problem on my Air 2. I also didn't have my Air 2 in a case like I have my new Pro in. I haven't noticed any of the vibration issue for the few minutes I was watching videos, but I haven't tried it without the back part of the Slim Combo protective case on.

KdotIX

One of my issues with my Air 2 is the vibration produced by its speakers. I'm guessing/hoping this isn't a problem anymore?

According to Engadget there is no vibration or distortion from the speakers on the iPad Pro:

Engadget said:
As mentioned, the 10.5 has the same four-speaker setup we've seen in earlier Pro models. They're not quite enough to fill a room, but they offer loud, crisp audio without distortion...

...I have Apple's speaker design to thank for a lot of that clarity -- all four speakers play low-frequency sound, but only the top two play the mids and highs. That clever trick makes for surprisingly good channel separation for movies and music, though the benefits are less clear for audiobooks and podcasts.

ss_lemonade

I had the same problem on my Air 2. I also didn't have my Air 2 in a case like I have my new Pro in. I haven't noticed any of the vibration issue for the few minutes I was watching videos, but I haven't tried it without the back part of the Slim Combo protective case on.

According to Engadget there is no vibration or distortion from the speakers on the iPad Pro:
Good to know. Just need to find the best trade in deal

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KdKSdoR_d.jpg

Now that’s a fucking computer

Is the dock persistent or can you make it persistent? Could almost make the first screen no apps and just have the dock (well one app because it's needed)

j-wood

So i picked up my ipad pro 10.5 from best buy yesterday, but ran into some massive bullshit.

Last November, I bought an iPad Air 2 (my first ipad ever) on a sale for black friday, and was going to trade it in towards the pro. Got the 32GB version. Apparently, this was a "special" version just for black friday, and NO retailer would accept trade in with it. What the actual fuck?

Best Buy would only take a 16, 64, and 128GB iPad Air 2. Apple's system would only recycle it for "free".

There was literally no difference aside from storage space.

Jeffrey

Played with the new iPad at best buy. And gaf tells me that there is no difference from 30fps vs 60.

Now to patiently wait for iOS 11 I guess lol.

So i picked up my ipad pro 10.5 from best buy yesterday, but ran into some massive bullshit.

Last November, I bought an iPad Air 2 (my first ipad ever) on a sale for black friday, and was going to trade it in towards the pro. Got the 32GB version. Apparently, this was a "special" version just for black friday, and NO retailer would accept trade in with it. What the actual fuck?

Best Buy would only take a 16, 64, and 128GB iPad Air 2. Apple's system would only recycle it for "free".

eBay. Yeah, the fees suck, but it’s better than giving it away for free.

Deku Tree

Don't think that was a "special" version. Yours is the newer configuration that starts at 32GB. The older configuration started at 16GB.

j-wood

Don't think that was a "special" version. Yours is the newer configuration that starts at 32GB. The older configuration started at 16GB.

If that was the case, then why would neither store accept trade in of it? It wasn't even in Apple's system. My serial number said "not available for trade in, but we can recycle it for free."

If that was the case, then why would neither store accept trade in of it? It wasn't even in Apple's system. My serial number said "not available for trade in, but we can recycle it for free."

Try calling Apple. I’ve got to believe a working iPad Air 2 has some value. Maybe the person you talked to was an idiot.

j-wood

Try calling Apple. I’ve got to believe a working iPad Air 2 has some value. Maybe the person you talked to was an idiot.

Nope, tried both things. We went through the apple website for trade in and for recycle. She also used her store system to put in my serial number of the device, all showed no value.

What's the trade in credit for it?

j-wood

Well it's not a special sale version, they just doubled the storage last year. Not sure why they wouldn't accept it for trade-in, doesn't really make sense. Did you ask when you were in the Apple Store?

Amazon does seem to accept it though: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=9187220011 (Only the silver one it seems)

Yeah, they basically said nothing we can do, the system says we can only recycle it for free. Despite my objections that that made zero sense if they would give $165 for the same tablet with less storage.

Is the dock persistent or can you make it persistent? Could almost make the first screen no apps and just have the dock (well one app because it's needed)

iirc you don't need an app on the first page. if you move them all to the second page or beyond and leave the first one empty then it'll leave the first one empty... unless they fixed that, it's been a couple years since i've done it that way...

NYR

Huh.

Had to exchange my iPad Pro 10.5 this morning. For some reason, it wouldn't charge at all. Tried multiple chargers and cables, which all worked on my old iPad and my phone.

No you can’t make it persistent, when you’re in an app you’re a swipe away

Yes you can have a blank first page

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When i go to message settings, it shows the Messages on iCloud switch ghosted out (in the ON position) and below that, it says "Last Sync: Never"

Is this feature supposed to be working in the beta?

Ambient80

Anyone had any luck with any of the new Siri stuff? I feel like she does some stuff with the news app, but I’ve seen zero changes in messages.

With the dock now adding a level of parity between ios and macOS can the user add more app icons to the home screen itself? It'd be nice to actually utilize the screen real estate.

When i go to message settings, it shows the Messages on iCloud switch ghosted out (in the ON position) and below that, it says "Last Sync: Never"

Is this feature supposed to be working in the beta?

Works very sparingly for me right now

Anyone had any luck with any of the new Siri stuff? I feel like she does some stuff with the news app, but I’ve seen zero changes in messages.

Siri in general has been very spotty in the beta. And before someone makes a joke, moreso than normal

With the dock now adding a level of parity between ios and macOS can the user add more app icons to the home screen itself? It'd be nice to actually utilize the screen real estate.

Not so far

Dev preview's been fun, but I'm gonna revert back to iOS10 tonight.

I'll definitely be upgrading when 11 or 11.1 comes out, liked what I saw in the preview

Jeffrey

is there any good printer solutions on ios for non airprinter printers?

my old one I just plug a usb cable into my surface when I need to print stuff (network thing stopped working). Doubts its that easy on ipad lol.

Vyer

is there any good printer solutions on ios for non airprinter printers?

my old one I just plug a usb cable into my surface when I need to print stuff (network thing stopped working). Doubts its that easy on ipad lol.

What kind of printer

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Works very sparingly for me right now
Hmm. After visiting the settings again few hours later, I saw that the option was for whatever reason finally available, and I could select Sync Now. Then it it took a while, but it reported that it finished syncing.

Now I've set the phone as new, and the sync button is available, but when I press it, nothing happens. It just says Last Sync - Never underneath.

Has anyone confirmed this feature works in a sense that it syncs your messages from one device onto another (which basically what I'm doing boils down to I guess)

Hmm. After visiting the settings again few hours later, I saw that the option was for whatever reason finally available, and I could select Sync Now. Then it it took a while, but it reported that it finished syncing.

Now I've set the phone as new, and the sync button is available, but when I press it, nothing happens. It just says Last Sync - Never underneath.

Has anyone confirmed this feature works in a sense that it syncs your messages from one device onto another (which basically what I'm doing boils down to I guess)

All of my iMessages from my phone are now on my iPad (even though I didn’t want them to be. Need to learn how to not have that happen).

So it does work, but obviously still buggy.

Vuze

Finally unbanned 😔

Having used iOS 11 on my iPad since it went live, I gotta say it's awesome. They need to fix parts of the multitasking though, getting a second app pinned that isn't in your dock is a huge PITA.

Also the fact that I have to tap, hold, tap to quit an app in the overview is stupid. Same goes for the new control center. iPads got no 3D touch, Apple.

Connecting to AirPods is also very unintuitive rn (Now playing needs to be populated to begin with, open CC, tap, hold, tap the device icon, tap AirPods) and the "Now playing" part is bugged anyway. Recent media is stuck there for days despite the app being closed, playback having finished etc.

It also wrecked my iPad after two days, it got stuck in a boot loop after I put it on the charger with 40% left for whatever reason. My brother put it on his daily driver 6S (couldn't talk it out of him...) and the camera has a 50:50 chance of getting stuck. But eh, first dev beta and all that.

New iPad Pros are nuts, I really want the 10,5". Can't justify it however. Here's to hope the flagship iPhone this year also gets ProMotion + 120hz display.

watchOS 4 seems like a very good upgrade too but I'll wait for the stable build (esp since it requires iOS 11 on the paired phone as well).

Yeah, it's taking all of my willpower to not buy the 10.5" iPad Pro and save those shiny gadget buxxx for the iPhone 8 and a Series 3 Watch this fall. My boyfriend and I are getting by just fine with my 2013 13" MBA and 2015 15" MBP for now and just need to remind myself of that from time to time; eventually I'll probably ditch that for an iPad Pro + 27" iMac setup but that doesn't need to happen right now.

kaskade

Been watching some videos of iPads running iOS 11 and I think the pro 10.5 is going to be my next machine. 95% of my MBA's usage is browsing the internet and watching some youtube. I always just wanted to be able to browse and watch videos at the same time and this seems like an awesome way to do it. Pair that with the keyboard and you have a pretty damn solid machine. Being able to jot down notes with the Pencil seems nice too. I like to sketch some ideas at work from time to time and I have a big mess of papers.

Top Bottom