• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K16 - First Gameplay Details (IGN)

They've made a really huge change in their attitude towards wrestling that exists outside of WWE this year. Something I'm sure Haitch has initiated since Vince still doesn't even watch his own NXT product, let alone being aware of what goes own in other feds. HHH is a legit wrestling fan and is doing the kind of things he wants to see as a fan now, a nice and welcome change of pace for sure.

Through out the Beast in the East special Michael Cole was mentioning where all of the NXT guys spent time (ROH, NJPW, Dragon Gate).

They still hate TNA but they are obviously not any kind of threat to them at this point, it's a little more lax now.

I'm aware. I like that they are doing that now but there is a big difference in talking about something and glorifying something for them still. Vince has been paying attention to NXT since the one before mania. He still doesn't get involved with it but it apparently opened his eyes a bit to what fans really want. But it's still too little too late. Man I love talking wrestling!! Also cole was on point at beast in the east. I hate all the guidelines they give him because that was the best he's ever called matches and he was on the other side of the world.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm aware. I like that they are doing that now but there is a big difference in talking about something and glorifying something for them still. Vince has been paying attention to NXT since the one before mania. He still doesn't get involved with it but it apparently opened his eyes a bit to what fans really want. But it's still too little too late. Man I love talking wrestling!! Also cole was on point at beast in the east. I hate all the guidelines they give him because that was the best he's ever called matches and he was on the other side of the world.
Yep. It's crazy to hear how good Cole can be when he doesn't have Vince shouting in his ear the entire time. I mean he was great back when he was first paired up with Taz on Smackdown. Cole is also the guy in gorilla in people's ears on NXT so he knows how to direct good commentary as well.

WWE is so insanely packed with talent right now, it's just unfortunately all held down at the heels by a billionaire madman that doesn't know how to let go.

Yep. It's crazy to hear how good Cole can be when he doesn't have Vince shouting in his ear the entire time. I mean he was great back when he was first paired up with Taz on Smackdown. Cole is also the guy in gorilla in people's ears on NXT so he knows how to direct good commentary as well.

WWE is so insanely packed with talent right now, it's just unfortunately all held down at the heels by a billionaire madman that doesn't know how to let go.

I know what you mean! He still got half of his Mighty Mouse idea with Neville debuting with a cape!! I freaked out for a minute cause I thought he actually did it. Sucks with Cena being hurt also because man has he been giving it all with these open challenges lately and letting everyone see how great the middle roster really is.

zkorejo

Cole sucks plain and simple. He doesnt even know the names of the basic moves. He calls every suplex (which isnt German or a regular suplex) a throw. I dont think there has ever been a time where I enjoyed his commentary.

Mahonay

Banned
Cole sucks plain and simple. He doesnt even know the names of the basic moves. He calls every suplex (which isnt German or a regular suplex) a throw. I dont think there has ever been a time where I enjoyed his commentary.
He has always sucked on RAW but it's not entirely his fault.

The biggest problem with the gameplay is the lack of any thought put into the systems. Look at the aki wrestling games, the fire pro series, king of colosseum 2, or hell wwe all stars. There is THOUGHT put into the gameplay. Modern wwe games don't require anything besides spamming moves.

And fuck that lame ass reversal system. If you wanted to increase the difficulty of the reversal system, you would've mapped strike and grapple reversals to different buttons like in the old days. What about making it so different grappling moves require you to reverse at a different time. Too many animations I guess. Let's gimp the number of reversals because that makes sense, tons of skill involved in that.

Also, REST HOLDS

The biggest problem with the gameplay is the lack of any thought put into the systems. Look at the aki wrestling games, the fire pro series, king of colosseum 2, or hell wwe all stars. There is THOUGHT put into the gameplay. Modern wwe games don't require anything besides spamming moves.

And fuck that lame ass reversal system. If you wanted to increase the difficulty of the reversal system, you would've mapped strike and grapple reversals to different buttons like in the old days. What about making it so different grappling moves require you to reverse at a different time. Too many animations I guess. Let's gimp the number of reversals because that makes sense, tons of skill involved in that.

Also, REST HOLDS

Submissions in the last game are broken too, very small reversal window and holds doing way too much damage with how long you can hold for. You can basically make anyone tap from the beginning of the match after 5 holds which is bs. I did like 2k14 a lot though. I really liked playing the break the streak mode in it. I wish they would add that back in because all of the random bull shit undertaker moments that would fuck you were amazing

If it doesn't have a grappling system like the fantastic WWF No Mercy, then I don't know if I'll bother. AKI-grappling engine for life lol

I wish wrestling games were more arcadey like back in smackdown 1 2 3 days.
They are OK now but it was so awesome back then, speedy and not realistic.. i guess there's room for both types.

Many match types of been added for WWE 2K16, including Ladder, handicap and tornado tag matches

of been added

Nice to know that 2k/Yukes's approach to quality assurance also extends to press releases.

Also, lol at them yet again shamelessly claiming things that were omitted from the last game are new features.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nice to know that 2k/Yukes's approach to quality assurance also extends to press releases.

Also, lol at them yet again shamelessly claiming things that were omitted from the last game are new features.

It's pathetic. They've been in the games since the early 2000s.

They can fuck right off.

I just want a co-op season mode like in smackdown 2. It went forever and would have crazy shit happen in it. I remember one time I was supposed to have a title defense one night in it and Kurt Angle hit me over the head during an interview backstage and stole my title and it made him the champion. Shit was crazy

65HiICJ.jpg

I actually kinda dig the kayfabe approach.
This card makes me sad. Not because of Eddie but because of the fact that it reminds me of when Smackdown was the actual A show and you awaited it. John Cena wasn't shoved down my throat every week. I was still a kid and it was real to me damnit. And the wrestling games were actually fun.

I just want a co-op season mode like in smackdown 2. It went forever and would have crazy shit happen in it. I remember one time I was supposed to have a title defense one night in it and Kurt Angle hit me over the head during an interview backstage and stole my title and it made him the champion. Shit was crazy

Yeah, I also want a season mode.

Or, you know, a GM mode.

All Stars 2 and GM Mode. All I'll ever want.

Such a shameful thing that All Stars got canned. That title had such a promising future. How come there arent many WWE games anymore anyway? We used to have so many different IPs.

Branson

Universe mode is basically what I've always wanted, and thats all I every play out of these every year anyway. I would like a season mode though like HCTP had where you can put your CAWs in and it generates the storyline with random characters.

Matticers

They didn't have custom music for entrances for 2K15, right? Have they announced that for 2K16 or was that custom music thing only for menus? I guess it might be announced later but I don't see why they couldn't just say it here if it was happening.

I need that feature in wrestling and baseball games. It just feels weird without it.

They didn't have custom music for entrances for 2K15, right? Have they announced that for 2K16 or was that custom music thing only for menus? I guess it might be announced later but I don't see why they couldn't just say it here if it was happening.

I need that feature in wrestling and baseball games. It just feels weird without it.

It's only for menus. They simply can't execute custom soundtracks the way people want to utilize them for entrances. That's not on them.

All Stars 2 and GM Mode. All I'll ever want.

Such a shameful thing that All Stars got canned. That title had such a promising future. How come there arent many WWE games anymore anyway? We used to have so many different IPs.

Why make three separate games every year when you can make one and just port it. It's cheaper

I do think they should have a second I.P. for an arcade style game around Wrestlemania. That would please a lot of people and probably make good money.

Universe mode is basically what I've always wanted, and thats all I every play out of these every year anyway. I would like a season mode though like HCTP had where you can put your CAWs in and it generates the storyline with random characters.

How do you get the most out of universe mode?

Branson

How do you get the most out of universe mode?
I have a roster of about 30 CAWs that I've made over the years since HCTP with and without friends. Making your own shows and seeing story lines play out with your creations pretty much fills my need. I'm got way into simming with fire pro and carried that over here.

Someone went through the entrance videos of Balor and Rollins and looked at all the shirts and the crowd to confirm some wrestlers that haven't been revealed yet. Typically in the yukes series you won't see shirts for someone who is not on the roster. Still take this with a grain of salt.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wwe-2k16-roster/

Bad News Barrett, Baron Corbin, Booker T, Bray Wyatt, Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, Cesaro, Charlotte, Col Mustafa, Colin Cassady, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Emma, Enzo Amore, Eva Marie, Finn Balor, General Adnan, Jey Uso, Jimmy Uso, Kalisto, Kane, Kevin Owens, Lord Steven Regal, The Miz, Natalya, Paige, The Rock, Roman Reigns, Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins, Shawn Michaels, Sin Cara, Stardust, Sting, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Summer Rae, Tamina, The Terminator, Triple H, Tyson Kidd, The Undertaker.

Someone went through the entrance videos of Balor and Rollins and looked at all the shirts and the crowd to confirm some wrestlers that haven't been revealed yet. Typically in the yukes series you won't see shirts for someone who is not on the roster. Still take this with a grain of salt.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wwe-2k16-roster/

Bad News Barrett, Baron Corbin, Booker T, Bray Wyatt, Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, Cesaro, Charlotte, Col Mustafa, Colin Cassady, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Emma, Enzo Amore, Eva Marie, Finn Balor, General Adnan, Jey Uso, Jimmy Uso, Kalisto, Kane, Kevin Owens, Lord Steven Regal, The Miz, Natalya, Paige, The Rock, Roman Reigns, Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins, Shawn Michaels, Sin Cara, Stardust, Sting, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Summer Rae, Tamina, The Terminator, Triple H, Tyson Kidd, The Undertaker.

That roster sucks. Full of current shit.

Zach

I want WCW Vader, WCW Rude, Lord Steven Regal (success!), Stunning Steve Austin, and, I dunno, Alex Wright.

Make it happen, 2K/Yuke's/whatever and I'll buy your crappy wrestling game.

Top Bottom