• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k17 Changes From 2k16 - No Showcase Mode

Hasney

https://wwe.2k.com/news/wwe-2k17-features

Summary: 2k claimed to have updated everything this year, but removed the Showcase mode. Full text below with some comments.

Today, we get to share with everyone some of our plans for WWE 2K17. We will not get into full details today, as more information will be revealed as we head toward the game’s release on October 11. Instead, we are offering an overview of several features and focus areas for WWE 2K17. Let’s jump right in …

GAMEPLAY

With the WWE 2K franchise, we are striving to deliver the most authentic and realistic WWE experience possible. Fans have been asking us to truly improve the core gameplay experience since we inherited the brand, and we are taking your requests seriously – from controls to presentation to individual features. We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics. In WWE 2K17, the fans will, more than ever, get to control the action how and where they want, including competing in the crowd and backstage areas. Our community asked for the return of playable backstage and crowd areas, so we delivered on this request. We also greatly improved the responsiveness of gameplay while also updating game systems like Ladders, Taunts and a new secondary submission system. As always, we added thousands of new animations into WWE 2K17, so there is a lot of new gameplay for everyone to discover and enjoy. These are just a few of the gameplay improvements we are delivering in WWE 2K17, all of which will provide the most authentic WWE experience to date.

I mean, they "strive" to replicate things but haven't done a great job. That said, I'm glad they're changing so much at once since last year really only had the shitty new submission system that I hope is gone with the new secondary thing too.

CREATION

The WWE 2K17 Creation Suite enables the WWE Universe to customize, build and share their own unique WWE Superstars, Arenas, Entrances, Shows and more. For WWE 2K17, we added new creation features, as well as focused on deepening and providing even more options for existing creation features. For example, we added many more parts, more adjustment options and elements like body hair, all of which add to the game’s massive set of customization options. We also added a full Highlight Replay system, which allows players to record video highlights from their matches. The video content can be used in our new Create a Video feature, which lets players create videos for use in things like custom entrance Titan Tron videos for created Superstars. We also deepened the Create a Show feature and added a brand new Create a Victory feature to ensure everyone can create the most comprehensive WWE experience possible. Whether players build their own worlds or simply expand on existing tools, the power is in their hands.

Cool, they usually do alright here. Create a Victory has been needed since the jump to this generation and thank fuck for create a tron coming back.

But still, no custom music? We know it's doable now.

2K SHOWCASE

One of the largest and most difficult decisions we made for WWE 2K17 was to forego building a 2K Showcase. We designed and contemplated several Showcase ideas, including options surrounding our cover Superstar, Brock Lesnar, but all of them were not viable due to the many historic WWE Superstars needed but not available for inclusion in the game. In addition, the team is heavily focused on building and delivering great content that fans can enjoy for years to come, while the Showcases only live in games from year to year. In all, we didn’t feel good about creating a Showcase that was not up to our standards and current development vision, so we decided to take that effort and put it into modes our community requests we keep improving: WWE Universe and MyCareer.

If the gameplay, career and universe modes have significant improvements, I'm totally fine with it being gone. That's one hell of a huge IF though.

WWE UNIVERSE MODE

In WWE Universe Mode, we are working to recreate the drama and excitement seen every week on Raw, SmackDown Live and NXT. For WWE 2K17, we created a new flow that focuses on these shows. The shows are what we all watch each week, and now with the recent brand split, are even more important. Our new Show Presentation system makes players feel like they are playing through a weekly episode of any WWE television or WWE Network program. We also added more intrigue and possibilities by incorporating run-ins, as well as pre- and post-match attacks. Just like in WWE, we never know what might happen next.

Even with all these new features, presentation and possibilities, we still felt something was missing: promos. In turn, WWE 2K17 will deliver a brand new Promo Engine that lets the WWE Superstars express their thoughts and emotions to the WWE Universe and one another. The Promo Engine creates a new dynamic and brings the experience closer to the actual WWE than ever before. That’s not all – we also are delivering a completely revamped offering of all Universe Mode cut scenes, including familiar and brand new scenarios. Collectively, WWE 2K17 represents the most comprehensive and authentic WWE Universe we’ve attempted thus far.

Promo engine? Run ins? It all sounds promising, but man.... I've been burnt so many times

MYCAREER

MyCareer also gets some exciting new features for WWE 2K17. We incorporated the new Promo Engine, so Superstars can express themselves to the WWE Universe and also call out or respond to other WWE Superstars. Backstage interviews with Renee Young take on a whole new dimension with our new backstage brawling gameplay. Now more than ever, how a player competes, reacts, what is said and even what attire is worn can make a difference in a Superstar’s journey through the WWE. At some point, players are also likely to come face to face with Brock Lesnar and his advocate, Paul Heyman. What happens when confronted by this imposing duo will greatly shape a player’s future career growth in WWE.

Again, sounds great! They've not even come close to nailing this mode yet though.

WHAT’S NEXT?

The above is a select list of the improvements and additions we are making for WWE 2K17. There is a lot more to discuss in the near future, from the features above to online to all the other components we know you’ll ask about, and we will get into more details as we get closer to the game’s release. We are excited to start sharing what we are doing with the game and look forward to letting everyone in on all the exciting things in store with WWE 2K17. After all, the Beast Incarnate, Brock Lesnar, is waiting for you in Suplex City.

Oh, and since everyone seems to be speculating – yes – the roster is larger than last year.

We know you will enjoy WWE 2K17.

–Mark Little, Executive Producer of WWE 2K

And more? This does seem to be the biggest overhaul they've ever done in terms of the nuts and bolts, so if they pull it off, I won't miss showcase which is likely the most time consuming thing to do each year. I can't even be cautiously optimistic, but they're talking a good game.

FHIZ

Real reason there's no Brock Lesnar showcase mode: every objective would be "TAKE X TO SUPLEX CITY"

NZerker12

Most of these changes sound great but:

We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay.

I actually liked the arcade-centric gameplay when you make things too realstic you end up loosing the charm and fun factor that originally made the games fun to begin with. Still the Creation Suite changes sound great and it is about damn time we can fight backstage again.

Cardon

DTY

DON'T

TRUST

YUKES

This. Hasn't this been the formula for the past for years? Like the press release/preview details will come out saying they've improved stuff and for the most part it's either not for the better or it just comes out rather poorly.

PaulLFC

Reading the reasoning, I'm okay with it if the listed improvements actually translate to genuinely better experiences in Universe and MyCareer. Whether they will remains to be seen.

NJD316

Neo Member
Bought the last 2 games due to my foolish loyalty to the great sport that is professional wrestling, only to hate them. Needs a drastic overhaul to bring me back to be honest.

Xater

We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics.

That's exactly what I don't want. Wrestling is not a real sport so the idea of making it a simulation is idiotic in the first place.

Darrenf

This is all sounding good. I'm alright with there being no Showcase. Hopefully the changes actually change Universe & My Career as they really need improving. Glad crowd & backstage fights are back.

Hasney

That's exactly what I don't want. Wrestling is not a real sport so the idea of making it a simulation is idiotic in the first place.

Eh, as long as it plays alright I don't mind which way it goes. It probably won't, though.

It straddled the line anyway. Bring back All-Stars and have your sim and arcade!

I do like that they're finally overhauling ladder matches. Jesus, that's been years in the making.

Backstage interviews with Renee Young take on a whole new dimension with our new backstage brawling gameplay.
CRx7Hc1WsAQxU0e.png

We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics.

why tho

LKSmash

I want them to bring back Create-A-Move. I'd waste a ton of time in that trying to replicate moves from other promotions that weren't included.

Well its good to see they are listening to feedback, lets just hope they actually improve the game. Happy to see backstage fights are back in, they have been gone far too long. Hopefully the ladder improvements are good too, as they are always a pain in the ass to use, same with tables too, so fingers crossed they are better now.

Will be watching reviews closely on this one.

Hasney

I'm hoping that you can go backstage from the ring and transition for those areas. Just having a match there isn't the best.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No Showcase mode is a huge loss.

Also, LOL at the simulation comment.

shanafan

I wish the PC release wasn't so far out. I can't fathom why the PC version gets released like 6 months after the console versions.

Just give the world an updated AKI wrestling game. No wrasslin' game has come close.

To think, if the N64 was more successful than Playstation, they would have been the template on which all wrestling games were based. Instead, the vastly inferior Smackdown games' DNA permeates through every wrassler since the PS2 era.

Xater

Just give the world an updated AKI wrestling game. No wrasslin' game has come close.

To think, if the N64 was more successful than Playstation, they would have been the template on which all wrestling games were based. Instead, the vastly inferior Smackdown games' DNA permeates through every wrassler since the PS2 era.

It's a real shame. I can still play those AKI games and have a ton of fun. Can't say the same about any of the Yukes games.

I will never
Eeeeever
Get my arcade gameplay again :(

Who are they listening to? I mean who wants WWE2k to be a fucking sim?

No custom entrance music
No custom stories
No story mode

So it's last year's game with a new roster. Isn't this the criticism Yukes have had for years? Pulling features out and then putting them back in later on?

That Sim gameplay sucks. We use to have parties with my son and nephews, 4 players all night. Now they hate the game because they cant even kick out of a pin.

Luschient

Paging Bobo Brazil.

I bought 2k16 and couldn't stand the gameplay. Finally set up a Rasberry Pi 3, put WCW/NWO Revenge on there so I'm finally getting my wrestling fix.

Hasney

Who are they listening to? I mean who wants WWE2k to be a fucking sim?

No custom entrance music
No custom stories
No story mode

So it's last year's game with a new roster. Isn't this the criticism Yukes have had for years? Pulling features out and then putting them back in later on?

That Sim gameplay sucks. We use to have parties with my son and nephews, 4 players all night. Now they hate the game because they cant even kick out of a pin.

Apparently we've never had sim gameplay, last year was arcade. I dunno.

The people they seem to listen to are the people on the 2k forums. They ask for it all the time.

Anth0ny

stop buying these games, for the love of god

ah fuck it there's too many people that blindly buy games with 2kxx at the end of it

I thought 2k16 was great. :/

Match flow feels really good, the animations better than ever. I don't think I ever walked away from a loss feeling cheated either. If they can keep improving on it I don't have any problems.

No custom music bothers me a lot more than no showcase.

I thought 2k16 was great. :/

Match flow feels really good, the animations better than ever. I don't think I ever walked away from a loss feeling cheated either. If they can keep improving on it I don't have any problems.

I really enjoyed 2k16 as well. I have had a lot of great matches. People keep telling me to stop buying a game that I like.

They need to release a separate arcade game though.

adj_noun

Probably my favorite thing about 2K16 was the computer generated main event of one of my career mode Wrestlemanias being Goldust vs Zach Ryder.

If it's more simulation based, that means you can pre-determine the matches, right?

They need a proper GM mode in there and in Universe mode the game needs to start rewarding wrestlers for hitting goals instead of winning matches. I would love more pre-determination and a focus on putting on good matches.

Yeah, I like the sim stuff.

Carnby

Wasn't Kurt Angle a big part of Brock's first run? Removing a mode that is a staple of the 2K series really shows that WWE wants nothing to do with him.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I haven't enjoyed a WWE game for years

Shame :( Used to be one of my favourites as a kid

Top Bottom