• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k17 Changes From 2k16 - No Showcase Mode

BroBot

There better be an import-created-wrestler feature in this game. There just better be. No excuse. Even if it's just the face.

DynamicG

No custom music bothers me a lot more than no showcase.

I really enjoyed 2k16 as well. I have had a lot of great matches. People keep telling me to stop buying a game that I like.

They need to release a separate arcade game though.

Same here. I bought it on PS4 and PC.

I think it plays well, not perfect, but it's not completely broken. I've certainly played worse. Even the greats like King of Colosseum , VPW2 and Fire Pro have drawbacks. I agree that' they need some work, but they are much less broken than stuff like Wild Rings or Wrestlemania 21 on Xbox.

Now where's my Wrestle Kingdom 3 or All Star Pro Wrestling 4?

MrSpaM

Banned
Honestly, this is the same garbage they regurgitate every single year for this franchise

They tell everybody the game is having a 'complete overhaul' every single time

Hasney

Honestly, this is the same garbage they regurgitate every single year for this franchise

They tell everybody the game is having a 'complete overhaul' every single time

They don't really. Last year they talked submission system, MyCareer and Universe mode in minor ways and everything they said would happen did happen.

The updates were mostly all shit and either made things worse or had no impact, but they did actually happen.

Thabass

Really promising stuff here. I really love the promo engine stuff. But, man the gameplay is always so sluggish. I don't know if I want to get burned again.

If they are serious about working out some of the fundamental problems with the engine they could focus on actually making the online fun for 2k18. They are still missing the boat on E-Feds. Sports games have online leagues. Wrestling should have an online federation.

Apoc87

Banned
God dammit man. The showcase mode is the reason i bought wwe 13 and its my favorite mode in 2k16 after a blind purchase.

Brock fucked up 2k17, this is his fault. Why not put someone else on the fucking cover and build a showcase around them instead? This fuckin guy man.

Thinking about cancelling my preorder.

God dammit man. The showcase mode is the reason i bought wwe 13 and its my favorite mode in 2k16 after a blind purchase.

Brock fucked up 2k17, this is his fault. Why not put someone else on the fucking cover and build a showcase around them instead? This fuckin guy man.

Thinking about cancelling my preorder.

Brock's lazy He should have never been on the cover.

Dean Ambrose for 2k18.

DynamicG

They don't really. Last year they talked submission system, MyCareer and Universe mode in minor ways and everything they said would happen did happen.

The updates were mostly all shit and either made things worse or had no impact, but they did actually happen.

I'll agree with you on the submissions, that system is horrible and I'm not sure how it even made it through QA. Which other additions or changes made the game completely worse?

Even with all the changes to MyCareer it still bored the fuck out of me. I spent most of the time getting my ass kicked by Hasney's roided out CAW.

Still waiting for something better than No Mercy.

No Mercy had a near perfect balance of sim and arcade to it.

The best part was being able to pick up and play with friends. People don't do that as may anymore, at least not in the same room, so they really need to make online he best it can be. The online is terrible right now. I try it maybe once a game.

Hasney

I'll agree with you on the submissions, that system is horrible and I'm not sure how it even made it through QA. Which other additions or changes made the game completely worse?

MyCareer was as bad as last year, but in a different way. Instead of the Vicky has nothing for you simulator, we got a grind for no apparent reason. They took the type of feud booking out of universe too without adding anything really. They added those personality bars which really don't do anything.

Things basically got more annoying, just in a different way. This isn't even touching on everything we left in the generation transition.

Even with all the changes to MyCareer it still bored the fuck out of me. I spent most of the time getting my ass kicked by Hasney's roided out CAW.

He's the worlds strongest cruiserweight. He should be in the CWC!

So what's Create a Victory?

You know those scenes that play after you win? Create on of those. They were all the same last year.

If they are serious about working out some of the fundamental problems with the engine they could focus on actually making the online fun for 2k18. They are still missing the boat on E-Feds. Sports games have online leagues. Wrestling should have an online federation.

Hey, they've not talked online yet. It's possible!

lol

Stuart444

I liked showcase modes :(

Same, showcase or equivalent 'story' mode was always my most played gameplay modes in all previous WWE games.

Basically, this makes my decision to not buy it until it is MUCH cheaper (as opposed to giving in and getting it on/near release like I did the last few years) MUCH easier.

They really should incorporate some of those Showcase features into Universe. Build a match that requests you hit certain spots. It's less about winning or losing and more about putting on an exciting match. Give a rating based on that for each wrestler. More GM options in Universe would be good as well. I say it every year.

Also, about Create-a-story. CAS is a feature I probably would never touch in a million years. It's just not something I have the time for. However, I think 2K is missing out on an entire generation that is big on streaming or doing let's plays. Allowing streamers to build a story and then present that to an audience is a huge selling point and gives exposure to people who might not be interested in picking up your game otherwise. They are missing the boat by not including CAS.

Then there is also the idea of incorporating CAS into Universe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
*Switches to a simulation-oriented game*

"Backstage brawling is back!"

No thank you.

Branson

I thought I was out. But they pull me back in. God damnit. With Universe mode the only thing I play and then improving it like I've always wanted them to...WELP.

They're talking about the brand split and referring to Smackdown Live but I doubt a lot of the changes will be in the game.

The crazy thing is, they probably already have both sets built. Raw's new set is just an old Summerslam set with the announce table moved. There is a pretty good variation already done in Create an Arena for 2k16. Smackdown Live's new set looks like an old Night of Champions one.

I can legitimately see them not making these changes. Hell, I fully expect them to not include the new logos or transitions either. These are assets they should be able to switch out at this point.

Hasney

I thought I was out. But they pull me back in. God damnit. With Universe mode the only thing I play and then improving it like I've always wanted them to...WELP.

Well let's see if it's an improvement first. Every tweak they make to Universe never seems to have the desired impact.

They're talking about the brand split and referring to Smackdown Live but I doubt a lot of the changes will be in the game.

The crazy thing is, they probably already have both sets built. Raw's new set is just an old Summerslam set with the announce table moved. There is a pretty good variation already done in Create an Arena for 2k16. Smackdown Live's new set looks like an old Night of Champions one.

I can legitimately see them not making these changes. Hell, I fully expect them to not include the new logos or transitions either. These are assets they should be able to switch out at this point.

Yup. Although I can remember them doing rushed changes before to get things done, so maybe there is a small chance. At least for the little things like logos and ring ropes.

delSai

We will never get GM Mode back eh?
Gotta say that Create a Victory is a good idea and something i wanted for a while. Yeah, the changes all sound pretty cool actually. No Showcase sucks tho.

shanafan

In this video, the new RAW logo is in - on the ring, but not in the replay (yet I presume that will change)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg5cilq_PoQ

Edit: Nevermind. From the comments, appears it is just a fan concept. Sorry!

But showcase mode was better than My Career mode which is the same thing over and over again.
But zip guess Brock showcase wouldn't have Kurt Angle anyways. :/

NO SHOWCASE MODE because Brock..

"BS translation":

No story mode because who cares, you will still buy this game and we have no more creativity

This just sounds lazy to me... I know for a fact 2K could have signed Angle.. that would have not been a problem... this is all on you Yukes...

"BS translation":

No story mode because who cares, you will still buy this game and we have no more creativity

This just sounds lazy to me... I know for a fact 2K could have signed Angle.. that would have not been a problem... this is all on you Yukes...

Receipts. I wanna see them.

That's exactly what I don't want. Wrestling is not a real sport so the idea of making it a simulation is idiotic in the first place.
Seriously. I'm completely turned off if they think that's a positive development. If I wanted chain wrestling and 'authenticity' I'd play more UFC 2. I want pick up and play gameplay. I want the game to be fast paced and fun. The 2k games are always a snoozefest.

Another year, another pass.

Never buying another one as long as it's Yukes. What horrible shitty rotate the stick feature will they add this year to make it more of a simulation? Maybe a punching mini game?

"BS translation":

They're not my favorite developers but cmon dude, how is this on yukes?

Gurrry

2k16 was my first wrestling game in a long while and I actually really enjoyed it. It def had its flaws, but overall, i dont regret that purchase.

I am very interested in these new additions, however, mycareer needs to be way more fleshed out. Every match I had in mycareer in 2k16 was ALWAYS a normal or tag match.

Not once did I get a no DQ, ladder match, 4 way, etc. It was always 1 on 1, same ol shit every time.

I would also like to be able to hold mutliple belts in mycareer. Why do i have to give up my WWE WHC to go for the USA belt? That was one of the dumbest decisions 2k16 made.

Those are all such easy fixes, that if they just do that, ill happily buy it. However, i might have to wait for that PC version when it comes out 8 months from the actual release date.

Top Bottom