• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k17 Changes From 2k16 - No Showcase Mode

Some new videos from IGN today:

Backstage Brawl gameplay
Ladder match gameplay
New Day entrance

I like the look of both gameplay videos. Backstage brawls have some neat touches like being able to climb some of the objects, throwing someone through a door to enter the next area, etc. Nothing confirmed but I'm willing to bet both matches are taking place in Universe mode, which would mean it has incorporated the MyCareer star rating system for matches. If you watch the backstage brawl, you can see Renee Young interviewing someone in the distance. There's probably more to that.

I don't have much in the way of positive comments for New Day's video. Big E is totally phoning in his intro, much like every other voice actor that takes part in the series. The crowd is still as dead as ever, only making any semblence of noise when Xavier plays the trombone. I'd like to be in the room when the audio guys are trying to pull a performance out of the commentators.

Hasney

Ladder match looks like a very minorly tweaked ladder match. Oh, they changed the mini game a little. Yay?

Also, those leaned in the turnbuckle ladders better not be the 4 rope spots they were talking about. No ladders were setup other than dead centre.

I think the Backstage Brawl stuff looks great. Was never a huge fan of it in the past games but some of that looked really fun.

I have been asking for the star rating system to be in Universe. That's something.

Backstage brawls look pretty impressive. It's nice to see that we'll be able to interact with plenty of objects, as well as the environment. It seems like the backstage areas weren't just added as a favour to the fans, but actually have a decent amount of detail put into perfecting the areas. Moreover, the graphics looks surprisingly good.during action sequences and general gameplay. When IGN said there were only three areas you could take the match, did they mean the hallway, locker room, and office? If so, that's kind of disappointing. I'd rather three big areas with smaller rooms, like this hallway, and then a parking lot and somewhere else.

Ladder match looked fine. I really don't think those fixed positions are going to hurt any.

This week's Suplex City Census Teaser image is up:

Business_District-1.jpg

Already I can see Big Show (Big and tall store), DDP (Diamond Dallas Jewlery) , American Alpha, Paige, Rusev, (all flags above suplex city electronics), Sheamus (Brogue Kick Saloon), and Carmella (Carmella Lattes on the Bus)

EDIT: And I just found Sasha (her Legit Boss knuckle covers in the jewelry store), Enzo and Cass (Bada Boom Room nightclub), Zack Ryder (The Woo woo woos sign), Mark Henry (Hall of Pain sign top right corner) Titus O'Neill (millions of dollars in the bottom middle with his face on them), Razor Ramon (his gold in the jewelry store), JBL (his outfit in the Big and Tall Store), and Alberto Del Rio (same)

Just found the Revival! (Witness the Revival signs on the very right hand side)

Still have no idea the nun (left of center near the top) and the cat with red eyes (right of center near the top) represent. Cat might be Eva Marie maybe?

Edit: Also found Ric Flair! (WOOOOOO on the license plate on the limo right of center near the top)

Edit: Just realized the nun is likely Sister Abigail, meaning Bray Wyatt. Also there's a microphone with an upside down M, meaning the Miz.

Cant they just feature other showcases ? i would loved a showcase for cena and styles or what about a showcase for dudley boys they sure went through hell of a great matches.

I am bored of crappy universe mode its just not good as how it was in the smackdown series or svr at least 2k had some good footage.

In what way do we Beat Up John Cena using AJ Styles first...

After not playing since WWE 13, I'm confident I will enjoy this year's game. I'm mostly buying it because I can finally play as Styles and Becky Lynch in a game. Hope I don't regret it.

Anyone know how the Online plays in this series? I tried it in WWE 13 and it was laggy. Have they improved it at all? Would be awesome to have tournaments and whatnot.

Hasney

Anyone know how the Online plays in this series? I tried it in WWE 13 and it was laggy. Have they improved it at all? Would be awesome to have tournaments and whatnot.

Still not great. They even removed stuff like allowing entrances when playing with your friends. As a package, probably worse than 13.

Still not great. They even removed stuff like allowing entrances when playing with your friends. As a package, probably worse than 13.

That's what I figured. Still not sure what the deal is with 2K. Can't even allow two people to play a wrestling game or basketball game without immense lag, but EA can get 22 people in a FIFA game and it plays flawlessly(most of the time).

Figure your shit out 2K.

MY BOYS! The undisputed top guys, the absolute best tag team on the planet, past or present, are making their 2K debut! Talk heavy with the promo engine, hit hard with the gameplay.

They look fantastic. They have the perfect attire. I'm on cloud nine.

Tagyhag

I see they still can't make pyro look like anything but shit.

I can't even blame the 360/PS3, they both have better looking effects in games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
MY BOYS! The undisputed top guys, the absolute best tag team on the planet, past or present, are making their 2K debut! Talk heavy with the promo engine, hit hard with the gameplay.

They look fantastic. They have the perfect attire. I'm on cloud nine.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll chime in and say that The Revival are truly fantastic. Their match at Takeover at he weekend was something else, and their matches with American Alpha were sublime. I'm very high on The Revival right now.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll chime in and say that The Revival are truly fantastic. Their match at Takeover at he weekend was something else, and their matches with American Alpha were sublime. I'm very high on The Revival right now.
No, I'm very serious. The Revival are by far my favourite guys going right now. Between everything that was happening this past weekend, the Revival's match at TakeOver was my most anticipated, and they didn't disappoint. They're consistency in the ring and during promos is definitely something to be admired. They've captured the perfect balance of entertainment and talent showcasing that makes heel teams so amusing. I'm praying with all my might that when they finally get called up they'll get the push that they deserve, and don't just become yet another obsolete tag team.

The top guys taking down the New Day and becoming the new Tag Team Champions is one of the first things I'll be doing in my Universe. They're getting a shameless Balor push.

More sim like? Wait, that could explain why imo the older games felt faster and more responsive than the more recent titles? I don't think the simulation gameplay is better than the arcadey gameplay from what I played, but whatever. I really hope they change the submission system. Imo, it was terrible in WWE2k16. I never made a wrestler submit before because it was too difficult and tedious to do so.

Forbes Hands On Preview

Doing Damage After the Match

I stumbled upon this new and cool gameplay wrinkle. I’d just destroyed Ambrose with Rollins, but I noticed I still had control of The Architect after the pin.

After initially stomping Ambrose for a few seconds, it became apparent, my entire moveset was still available and the referee was trying to prevent me from doing more damage. This is awesome!

Eventually, I performed a second Pedigree on the Lunatic Fringe, but this time it was outside of the ring. That finished him off and ended the carnage, and it felt very pro wrestling–which is a good thing.

I originally thought this sequence might be a glitch in the early version, but Little confirmed with me that this year, you’ll be able to inflict more damage on an opponent after securing the victory.

Attacking after the match has returned.

That's what I figured. Still not sure what the deal is with 2K. Can't even allow two people to play a wrestling game or basketball game without immense lag, but EA can get 22 people in a FIFA game and it plays flawlessly(most of the time).

Figure your shit out 2K.

Online really discourages me..it is sooooo hard to find anyone... totally disapontment..

Why can't 2K just give us the classic menu of seeing whst matches are available making it way more easier???

Some new videos from IGN today:

Ladder match gameplay

OH! Thank god! The ladder mechanic for pulling the briefcase or belt off is now seemingly identical to the submission mechanic that everybody complained about last year.

What an improvement. Glad that they implemented something that had such a ground swell of requests.

In reality, this sucks. You'll play ladder matches once every 20 matches, beat up your opponent, and then have no idea how to actually get the belt off.

hahaha and what is with this audio... Michael Cole at 1:24 -- "He does. I Guess he. Uh." And then at 0:52... "Up the Ladd.. Here comes Roll... Here comes Ambrose. He ... hm. Here comes Ambrose." "Seth Rollins is looking for the decisive end" [does a neckbreaker off the top of the ladder] " ... ::silence:: "

I guess they're trying to interupt lines when it's no longer relevant. But... how about they just remove the commentary team altogether, unless it's for a showcase mode or something staged.

*edit*

The ladder mechanic actualyl seems way worse than the submission mechanic. A tiny marble goes around a circular track, and you have to match the marble up with a cut in the track and then pull the marble into the inside of the track. HOW IS THIS A PRO WRESTLING GAME

Good lord, those police models could be right out of the PS2...

S2aUb1e.png

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR - YES / NO ?

Online really discourages me..it is sooooo hard to find anyone... totally disapontment..

Why can't 2K just give us the classic menu of seeing whst matches are available making it way more easier???

Completely agree with you. Both 2k15 and 2k16 I never got in a SINGLE online match (on PC to be fair), but still, I would have thought it was at least possible to do. :/

Read through the Forbes preview and watched the IGN video. There is no game series that I have less confidence in the commitment and direction of the development team than WWE 2K series. I don't think it's a developer incompetence issue at all, I think it's a lack of (or improper) direction from the heads of the development teams that don't actually know what will make wrestling games popular again.

The features that they're spending development resources on, like restricting ladder placement to just 3 spots (one in the center of the ring, one in the corner, one on the apron/scaffold) can't seem motivated by anybody asking for it. It seems like they got a bug request from someone saying, like "It's too hard to place the ladder under the belt precisely," (which it is), and then their solution was to totally rebuild ladder placement and make it a fixed element in the ring that you can't control. That is not the right fix. You shouldn't take away the organic features of a game to solve a problem that really isn't that big of a problem.

And, hypothetically, let's say that ladder placement is improved. They counter-balance that by making what looks to be a very convoluted and difficult marble-madness minigame popup when you try to take the belt/briefcase off, which sort of resembles the submission system from WWE 2K16, but also resembles a dumbed down Marble Blast Ultra or Marble Madness, or something. Any gains they made in playability from the "ladder snap" feature are instantly lost by introducing a convoluted, nonsensical marble minigame for taking down the belt. Other gameplay mechanics like pushing the ladder over also seem to have a minigame around them, based on filling up a circle and when the circle is filled up, the ladder gets pushed over.

Listen, Yukes, you're saying in interviews that you're focused on making this game more of a simulation, which I disagree with anyway but if that's your mission, then so be it. But, making something a wrestling simulation does not mean introducing convoluted, abstract minigames to achieve simple goals. That's not a simulation. Removing the player from the action in the ring so that they focus on a small infographic at the top of the screen, and rotate a joystick in various directions, hoping to find the sweet spot that a marble has in a fixed track is not simulating wrestling.

Even beyond that point where abstracting the gameplay out to a series of minigames is not a simulation of wrestling, I have to ask the broader point about what they're trying to simulate. If you're trying to simulate professional wrestling, then simulate professional wrestling. But, I think the team is conflicted: While building a "simulator" they're unsure of whether they're trying to simulate fighting, MMA, or some amalgamation of these things inside of a wrestling ring. Professional wrestling is a work, if you want to make a wrestling simulator, then make it a work. If you don't want to control the action for the player (e.g., a work), then abandon this idea of making a "simulator" or a simulation, and focus on what made older wrestling games great: Simple, easy to grasp gameplay systems that did not distract you from the action in the game, and the challenge of the game was introduced by making more complex strategy elements. That's what made wrestling games great 15 years ago, is that everybody could understand the simple gameplay systems, they didn't abstract or distract you from the game play, and the complexity was introduced by strategy, not gameplay mechanics.

MrNelson

Banned

Unless you're playing with a friend, it isn't usually worth it. Most of the time when I would try playing randoms in past games, they would always have CAWs with maxed stats, then proceed to counter just about everything you throw at them, and never actually attempt to finish the match, just continue to pummel you until you disconnect or manage to DQ yourself.

OH! Thank god! The ladder mechanic for pulling the briefcase or belt off is now seemingly identical to the submission mechanic that everybody complained about last year.

What an improvement. Glad that they implemented something that had such a ground swell of requests.

In reality, this sucks. You'll play ladder matches once every 20 matches, beat up your opponent, and then have no idea how to actually get the belt off.

hahaha and what is with this audio... Michael Cole at 1:24 -- "He does. I Guess he. Uh." And then at 0:52... "Up the Ladd.. Here comes Roll... Here comes Ambrose. He ... hm. Here comes Ambrose." "Seth Rollins is looking for the decisive end" [does a neckbreaker off the top of the ladder] " ... ::silence:: "

I guess they're trying to interupt lines when it's no longer relevant. But... how about they just remove the commentary team altogether, unless it's for a showcase mode or something staged.

*edit*

The ladder mechanic actualyl seems way worse than the submission mechanic. A tiny marble goes around a circular track, and you have to match the marble up with a cut in the track and then pull the marble into the inside of the track. HOW IS THIS A PRO WRESTLING GAME

S2aUb1e.png

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR - YES / NO ?

Even more horrid rotate the stick mini games! Just what everyone wanted!!!

cordy

Banned
Last WWE game I bought was 2K15 and I literally only played that for a few days. I wonder if this will be worth getting or maybe I'll skip out another year.

Top Bottom