• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k18 |OT| Neville May Walk Out, But Yuke's Are Still Here For You

AberLink

Weird how it's thought that it's a GAF thing when 2k17 got a 67 on OpenCritic. They're fun games to kiss about with and break with friends, but they're just not good.

I didn't buy it, I got it for my birthday.

Because everyone on OpenCritic is a wrestling fan, right?

It’s like we forget about the truly terrible and unplayable dozens wrestling games of the past (e.g. WWF attitude).

As a long time wrestling fan, WWE2K18 is a blast to play. I’m looking at it from the perspective of trying to emulate my passion for watching wrestling for 25+ years and I can’t say there’s another option out there where I can re-live those moments with my friends.

Like I said before, is it a perfect game? Far from it. But it’s nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I don’t know who is reviewing these games, but I’d like to understand if they are a wrestling fan reviewing the game or a game journalist reviewing the game. Big difference, in my opinion.

Just fired up Day of Reckoning 2 for a quick TLC match. I forgot how good it was to have tables that aren't just static things that lock animations, that you can actually freely manipulate people on.

I really hope 2K sees a massive overhaul soon, but then I hoped going to 2K in the first place was going to be that overhaul.

Makes me sad that we're almost a decade removed from Euphoria showing the future of animation and Yukes have confined us to crap like OMG moments instead of dynamic madness.

Maybe I misunderstand your complaint, but you've been able to freely slam opponents through tables for years with regular moves such as suplexes, and even have them fall off ladders through tables without having to initiate any scripted OMG moments.

Also despite the stifling negativity in this thread, the impressions for this game seem to be quite good everywhere other than GAF, and at the very least, better than last years game, so I'm curious to see if the reviews reflect this.

Hasney

It’s like we forget about the truly terrible and unplayable dozens wrestling games of the past (e.g. WWF attitude).

As a long time wrestling fan, WWE2K18 is a blast to play. I’m looking at it from the perspective of trying to emulate my passion for watching wrestling for 25+ years and I can’t say there’s another option out there where I can re-live those moments with my friends.

Like I said before, is it a perfect game? Far from it. But it’s nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I don’t know who is reviewing these games, but I’d like to understand if they are a wrestling fan reviewing the game or a game journalist reviewing the game. Big difference, in my opinion.

I'm a wrestling fan and sure it's not as bad as Attitude, but at least that had a single player mode that made sense half the time. On my wrestling forum, the reception has been largely negative as well (based on 2k17, most of the guys in the thread said they weren't getting this due to it) and some of them still watch Raw live even, so it can't be standards.

Like I said though, still fun enough with friends. If you can't play local multiplayer or have a high tolerance for input lag and frequent desyncs (where you and your friends are in different matches) and can play in a private lobby, just straight up dont bother at any price. I think the reviews are too high generally, wrestling fans or not.

CookTrain

Maybe I misunderstand your complaint, but you've been able to freely slam opponents through tables for years with regular moves such as suplexes, and even have them fall off ladders through tables without having to initiate any scripted OMG moments.

The OMG moment is more announcer table based, but for regular tables... you know when you whip someone into a table, the pretty much "slot into" their position on the table? Other games have done a bit more dynamically, where the table is a surface like any other that players can move around freely on.

I mostly just miss doing a fameasser through the announce table :(

Recall

Y'all remember that was also made by Yukes, right?

Fuck.

Ok...how about a NJPW style Giant Gram (instead of the original AJPW) game. That wasn't yukes too, was it? *crosses fingers*

I am surprised that the only NJPW games have been mobile games...ok not surprised, just disappointed.

Hasney

Is your gimmick being the tag division bicycle?

Well saves me defending my US title I guess and I'm going for the WWE title at Survivor Series. Because I had to cash in my briefcase for a standard 1 on 1 match in advance and I'm a heel. Great stuff.

The dialogue is so bad, the game just forgets things, even NPX tag team partners and the backstage conversations are just such a weird mix of kayfabe and Shane talking to me about my storyline arc that I'm enjoying it like a terrible movie.

The game knows who's in a tag team and who isn't, but not who with so all the tag natches you have are hilariously fucked up.

EDIT: Wait, I am cashing in on him after his match? Even though in my promo I said I would? Ahahaha what the fuuuucccckk?

Fuck.

Ok...how about a NJPW style Giant Gram (instead of the original AJPW) game. That wasn't yukes too, was it? *crosses fingers*

I am surprised that the only NJPW games have been mobile games...ok not surprised, just disappointed.

GOAT game

61212_front.jpg

Hasney

Just had my first interaction with Xavier, he DDT'd me after I cashed in so I couldn't win the title. They're hyping it up like my partner for months just stabbed me in the back!

AberLink

I'm a wrestling fan and sure it's not as bad as Attitude, but at least that had a single player mode that made sense half the time. On my wrestling forum, the reception has been largely negative as well (based on 2k17, most of the guys in the thread said they weren't getting this due to it) and some of them still watch Raw live even, so it can't be standards.

Like I said though, still fun enough with friends. If you can't play local multiplayer or have a high tolerance for input lag and frequent desyncs (where you and your friends are in different matches) and can play in a private lobby, just straight up dont bother at any price. I think the reviews are too high generally, wrestling fans or not.

Yeah I can agree with that, for sure. I mostly play these with friends online and couch coop. We do PS4 shareplay and do Universe mode together. Fun times :)

GAF hates this series and will forever be hung up on No Mercy, which I’m sure most people haven’t played in decades. I played it a couple years ago and it’s so incredibly outdated that it ruined my own nostalgia for it.

There are definitely glitches here and there, but it doesn’t ruin the game.

I am impressed with what they’ve done this year with the lighting changes and other minor touches. Like I’ve seen it referred to elsewhere on the internet (which I agree with), this is the Here Comes the Pain of the 2K series. Please don’t read that as “this is Here Comes the Pain”. Given all of the features, wrestlers and gameplay mechanics, we have a solid ‘simulation’ wrestling game this year.

If you’re a wrestling fan and have wrestling fan friends you can play this with, it’s a total blast. They do a great job emulating what you see on TV. It definitely isn’t as bad as people are making it out to be, but it is far from perfect.

Well said.

I've enjoyed this game so far.

The graphic upgrade, the roster and the slight change of flow in the matches are all big improvements.

Just being able to win or lose "outta nowhere" is a big plus too. I've had some surprising match results due to it. So the AI has improved.

Mr Rivuz

Is the 6 men elimination battle royal with pins/submissions back in this game?
Last year they removed it for no reason...

The gameplay on these last 3 (or more?) games has been a travesty. Teeters between a chore and a bore to play. When you add that to the glitches, bad animations, poor business practices, and general lack of heart put into these games it makes me really sad that we don't have another option for WWE.

The only issue I've had with the gameplay side is the increasing amount of 'mini-games' as mechanics - escape from holds/submissions, pins and now seemingly one to take the briefcase down. To me it doesn't lend itself to the drama of the moment more than button mashing frantically does, but then I'm an old man with old man ways.

dubq

Was this ever on Japanese psn or anything? I want to play this with the least amount of hurdles possible.

Sadly no. The only wrestling game I've seen on the Japanese PSN was Fire Pro G from PS1 .. and, actually, I think that Returns had a digital release as well.

Oh man that day one glitch video had me fuckin busting up. Lol godamnit now I'm debating on whether or not I want to buy it for my own personal Glitchamania. But at the same time I do not want to support 2k for this bullshit...but but it's so fucking hilarious...ahhhhh

Hasney

The Royal Rumble just glitched to do the final 3 and final 2 cut scene when there were 5 and 4 guys still in the ring and only 28 people had entered.

The career mode is much more realistic by the looks of it, since I'm out of NXT and already on my obligatory post-developmental Dolph Ziggler feud.

Risette

A Good Citizen

The "wrestling game for wrestling fans" excuse doesn't really hold up when there are actual good wrestling games, even released this year.
Y'all remember that was also made by Yukes, right?
12 years ago, when they were still competent.
Yukes really isn't a bad developer even though these games are terrible. The fact that they have like 10 months (or less) to make a game is why these things suck so much.

In recentish history, their UFC Undisputed games were really good.

Top Bottom